PDA

View Full Version : Wife out of town

Dressing up
04-26-2005, 07:37 PM
My wife went out of town with the kids. I do have to work but thought I would try something new. I first brought new heels, an then I brought a acrylic nail kit. It is a little tricky to do, It took over an hour. I wish I knew how to insert a pic here, if any one can help .

The nails came out better than I expected but will have to come off in the morning :mad: . I have to go to work in the morning, oh well. Actually, I lost my nerve to go to a nail salon. They feel much stronger than the glue on ones I have used in the past.

http://

DanaJ
04-26-2005, 08:48 PM
That's cool! May I ask, did you sculpt the nails using a form or use a tip? How did you do the monomer/polymer mix? Usually that is very tough to get right, I commend you for doing it right on your first try - well done!

DanaJ

Dressing up
04-26-2005, 09:12 PM
The kit is called Kiss Acrylic Sculpture Kit. It was pretty easy to use, you rough up your nails and glue on clear tips. The you dip the brush in to a liquid and then into a powder. The powder stuck to the wet brush and melted into the liquid. I brushed it on quickly, it got raher thick. It hardened within minutes and I had to sand the nails quite a bit to get them smooth.

I put a hot pink called Sally Hansen "Poetic". I just went to the mall to shop. No purchase. I just spent money on shoes, nails, hose and a few other things so I was trying to limit myself. I was in drab other than my nails and some mary jane flats I like to wear.

Do you have any idea how long this might take to come off, hey seem stronger then glue on nails.

Dressing up
04-26-2005, 09:23 PM
I think I know how to attach picture.

Hopefully there is a picture here

Sharon
04-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Beautiful nails Dressing!
I hadn't seen or heard of the home Do-it-yourself kits in years, it almost makes me want to go out to find one.
I heard that it takes anywhere from thirty to 60 minutes of soaking in pure acetone to remove the acrylics, so you better allow yourself at least that long in the morning to remove them.

MichelleH
04-26-2005, 09:44 PM
I often use either glue-on nails or Nutra-Nail Power Gel, which is a kind of gel acrylic that us used to strengthen (not extend) your natural nails. Both of these take at least 15 min. of soaking in acetone to remove. I would expect the acrylics to take at least as long. I've been thinking of trying the home acrylic kit. Your results on the first try look really nice. Do the acrylic nails look like like natural nails before applying polish? If I used them, I'd want to keep them relatively short and leave them on all the time, either as is or with clear nail polish.

MichelleH

Cissy Suzie
04-26-2005, 09:44 PM
I heard that it takes anywhere from thirty to 60 minutes of soaking in pure acetone to remove the acrylics, so you better allow yourself at least that long in the morning to remove them.

Yes it does take at least an hour to soak them all the way off, and dont' try to yank em off because it is super glue! You yank, and wind up with a hand full of your real fingernails still glued to the store bought ones. :eek:

Hee hee .. please listen to the voice of experience :o

Ava Mouse
04-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Impressive job! Your nails look quite professional there! In fact, I'm going to go get a kit myself!

As for removing them, I had my nails done a month ago and couldn't find pure acetone. I soaked and pried a little at a time, to get the acetone between the nail and the acrylic, not fun. Plus my nails were weaker from the salon's drill/dremmel. Luckily I survived w/out a problem, but my recommendation is PURE acetone.

I'm curious how clear they were? Mine were a bit cloudy before the polish was applied...

Dressing up
04-26-2005, 10:48 PM
The tips were clear pre application, and I was suprised how well they adhered. Some times I have trouble getting a false nail to stick, no problem with these. The mistake I made was to sand down the tip after gluing on. I thought the ridge between the false tip and the natural nail would be hard to cover. This clouded up an otherwise clear tip. The acrylic was very thick and easily covered the ridge so the snading was not necessary. The next time i think i can make this look more natural wih out polish.

You all got me nevous about getting them off completely, It would be a no no to go to work with acrylic on. at my job. I just went out and brought a acrylic nail removal kit, basically a jar of acetone lined with a brush. I asked a female customer in the store for advice on removal, she had nice nails, i showed her my nails and she gave me an odd look and walked away.

At the register, the cashier did not even notice my nails nor the the fact that a man was buying a false nail removal kit. I had my nails on the counter and also handed her a $10 bill. I have always thought long nails were very noticable. So i finally mentioned thet I hope this product works as advertsed. Only then did she take a look at my nails, then kindly asked me if I had a CVS card (a discount card for the phamacy chain). I think I will start to wear nails more often.

Tristen Cox
04-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Nice nails, good job :cool:

DanaJ
04-27-2005, 05:15 AM
Very very nice job! You know, you should consider getting a job as a nail tech - I'm serious! Most people go to school for months to learn to do acrylic nails, they are pretty difficult to get the hang of. It even takes nail techs with years of experience an hour minimum to do a set of acrylic nails, and they have professional products and tools. So - way to go, to do such a great job and in just over an hour, that is fantastic!

And - the Kiss nail kit has complete removal instructions included in the package :) - didn't you see them?

Michelle - go get a set of gel nails if you want something that will make your nails stronger, yet look completely natural....

DanaJ

jjjjohanne
04-29-2005, 11:00 PM
I live in Maryland (Balt - DC Corrodore) and my wife is out of town this weekend too... Are they at the same function??? :-O