PDA

View Full Version : Nails and the job

Niya W
02-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Today I had to ask a supervisor a question and he just kept on looking at my nails.

I guess he thought my 1/2 inch long acrylic nails were just to girlie :)

Genifer Teal
02-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I get that too. People have a hard time with that.

Gen

wannabie
02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
I can't wear the nails cause I use my hands too much. I tried it once and they broke off the first day at work.

Niya W
02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
I think for some the nails might be a bit much. I have my ears pierced, eyebrows always waxed. Clean shaven except for days I see the mad scientist and and have my face zapped . Plus I have clear gel on my nails that shine.

Just think what would happen if they saw my feet

Holly
02-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Someome at work the other day asked if anyone ever gave me a hard time about my nails. I said, "No... you're the first one." :heehee:

Charleen
02-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Ain't no one said a word to me yet. My nails are long(for a year a half now), polished with a translucent pink, hair long, earrings, plucked brows, mascara, and perfume. Not a thuing's been said at work. Nor by any of the customers.

victoriamwilliams1
02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
My nails are log until winter and they break, I have notice many men in my area with long nails now in fact some longer than mine and natural too. I do not wear any polish on them just keeping them natural.

JamieTG
02-28-2008, 12:58 AM
I get nothing but compliments about my nails at work. I've never had anyone give me a hard time about them and I've had them long for almost 10 years. I like pretty nails and it just doesn't bother me what some people might think.
Jamie

tamarav
02-28-2008, 01:13 AM
As with everything tough in life, practice is the key. I wear my nails long everyday and do hair and permanent makeup with them. I sometimes have a difficult time getting my nitrile gloves on but I love it and I scare my clients so much that none of them say anything about my nails.

Your silly sis,

Tami

CathyKR
02-28-2008, 03:04 AM
JamieTG & tamarav - your nails are gorgeous!!

CathyKR
02-28-2008, 03:05 AM
Someome at work the other day asked if anyone ever gave me a hard time about my nails. I said, "No... you're the first one." :heehee:Nice one!:heehee:

Sandi jo
02-28-2008, 06:42 AM
I use my hands too much also at work but I keep them as long as I can

Annie D
02-28-2008, 07:01 AM
My reply, "I had them done last week. I'm scheduled to back again over spring break."

They are not long, but shaped with clear polish and a second coat of a different clear that made them smell like acrylic nails. I think that they look great. High school girls are very observant and I have gotten several questions about if I do my nails and I always answer, "by a professional."

Oh, if they could see my toes!

Myojine
02-28-2008, 07:15 AM
those nails hurt way to much to pull off... i type on a key board all day and like they would get in the way, lucky for me i got really tough nails and can grow em really long, you think of asking your boss what he thinks?

DemonicDaughter
02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Though I'm a GG, I still get strange looks and questions about my nails.

The most frequently asked question: How do you wipe your :censor: with those!?

My reply: I don't, I use toilet paper. :p

This pic has me with my shortest nail length. :D
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x100/artworkbyjls/12308.jpg

Chari
02-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Niya, Maybe your supervisor is jealous of your nails and is afraid to ask where you got yours done! :heehee: If longer nails do not effect your work performance, why should anyone care how long they are. I'm in contact with some professional males that always have their nails a little longer, polished and it's very acceptable. Hmmm, wonder if they are Cding too.

Enjoy, Chari

mikecd999
02-28-2008, 10:07 AM
I have had my nails done, acrilic with white french tips for the last 6 years with very few comments. I think it has a lot to do with attitude.
Mikecd999:happy:

Victoria Anne
02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Ladies you are so lucky , I would not be able to get away with it . I would probably break them in no time anyway. I may just try it some time as I am getting more and more to that point of I don't care this is who I am attitude.

~Seana~
02-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I dont have work issues with my nails being long. At least not to my face no-one has commented but then the company I work for has a pretty strict antidiscrimination policies. The problem i have is when I'm playing with my partner intimately, long nails scratch and get in the way and she gets annoyed, so while I've grown them out long many a time I generally keep them short now, besides appearance wise it doesnt make that much of a difference if their long or short short nails can be just as girly ( or more so) painted up nicely as long ones.

KinkedAmanda
The Happy ****!

gretchenD
02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
I do go to work with my nails done in male mode.I luckily work at a place that prohibits discrimination towards crossdressers,Transgendered people and racial remarks which is also strict

JoAnnDallas
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I too have long acrylic nails. Every so often someone will notice them. Most times it is a positive comment. Last Thanksgiving, some of the front office girls noticed my long nails and next thing I know I am showing them my polished toes too. LOL Even while on vacation, I walked around the Water Park for about 4 hours with my Red toes showing and still no one said anything at all to me.

Niya W
02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
. LOL Even while on vacation, I walked around the Water Park for about 4 hours with my Red toes showing and still no one said anything at all to me.

my sister freaked when she saw mt toe nails

gretchenD
02-28-2008, 01:15 PM
My fiiance did do my toe nails last night,a shiney Blue and I love the color

LindaTS
02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Jamie, your nails look great hon. I too have fairly long and shaped nails and a lot of the females in my area get a bit upset with them. Most people around here just don't think too highly of women like us. Oh well, maybe one of these days I can get out of here. Maybe back to sunny San Diego.

Jilmac
02-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I never encountered that problem. The only nails I ever had on my job were the ones that get driven into wood. Luv and :hugs:Jill

Sarah89
02-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I had my nails quite long in work until late december, when I ended breaking my right thumb-nail , and it was ****ING AGONY !!!, and couldnt use my thumb properly for a week because of the exposed area:sad:.
So i keep them short now.

But when i did have them long, I did'nt really think of what people thought, Mabye if i was more self consious about it, I wouldnt have had them long, but who knows.

RobertaFermina
02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Mine are stubby again :(

I couldn't maintain my acrylic extensions during a recent period of unemployment....priorities.

I did get noticed a few times, but that was when I had them colored lavendar or red....go figure :heehee:

Now I am eating a raw egg a day in the hope that I may grow them long the old fashioned way :fairy3:

:rose: Au Naturel :rose:

Niya W
02-28-2008, 03:51 PM
but but acrylic is so much more fun

RobertaFermina
02-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I know it is Niya, but walking around with nails I haven't refreshed for over 3 weeks is unsightly and dangerous.....

Also, the cheap Acrylic damages your nail-beds (the part of your finger that generates and holds the nail). Its hard to be sure I am getting the expensive "good stuff" that does less damage....

My girlfriend has thin brittle nails after years of extensions. They are unpresentable without extensions - she's hooked for life.

I figure I will take a shot at kicking the habit.

I can still have fun with colors, sparkles, and figure painting!

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Billie
02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
I liked having my nails long. Too bad it's the first thing that my wife really hated.

Sandra
02-28-2008, 04:36 PM
but but acrylic is so much more fun

Growing your own is better and cheaper ;)

Niya W
02-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Mine seem to split or crack, and at the worst moment

Katrina
02-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Mine seem to split or crack, and at the worst moment

Do you use something like Nail Envy from OPI? I keep mine moisturized with nail/cuticle oil and any hand lotion that I happen to be using. I also try to drink lots of water to keep myself hydrated.

CathyKR
02-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Do you use something like Nail Envy from OPI?I swear by OPI Nail Envy. Just applied two coats to my talons. They do a glossy finish (green and white box) and a matt finish (blue and white box), and also a super-glossy top-coat.

Fab Karen
02-28-2008, 06:01 PM
to appearmore manly, carry 4 inch iron nails & a sturdy hammer:D

Niya W
02-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Gasp look more manly :eek::mad::(

Angie G
02-28-2008, 08:13 PM
I just go with a clear mat polish I work on a machine and cant keep them long. they don't look all that girly biu I love them. :hugs:
angie

Nicole Erin
02-28-2008, 09:02 PM
My nails are the most hideous things on earth. I don't even try to keep them up, in fact I use my box cutter to manicure them. They are short and broken and bleh!
I used to keep them really nice and I got questioned about it all the time.

JamieTG
02-29-2008, 12:35 AM
I use NutriNail Maximum Nail Hardener. Its clear and glossy but really keeps my nails strong. I haven't broken one in over a year.

Jamie001
02-29-2008, 12:42 AM
JoAnn,

My red toenails are exposed everyday in open toe women's low heel sandals. They are really bright red as you can see in my pedicure pic in the Beauty Section. No one will say anything to you because it is not a big deal.

I too have long acrylic nails. Every so often someone will notice them. Most times it is a positive comment. Last Thanksgiving, some of the front office girls noticed my long nails and next thing I know I am showing them my polished toes too. LOL Even while on vacation, I walked around the Water Park for about 4 hours with my Red toes showing and still no one said anything at all to me.

SouthernLady
02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I have longer than usual fingernails, manicured, and polished with a clear gloss. I constantly moisturize my fingers and hands to maintain the softness level that I like. My toe nails are French Tipped, although I prefer Fire Engine Red and soft Pinks.

TaylorAB
03-01-2008, 12:11 AM
I let mine grow until I can't type anymore or they break, then I cut them and file them and let them grow out again again. People look and sometimes make a comments, but I either ignore them or come up with something clever to say.

Niya W
03-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Damn Roberta next time give a gal some warning.