PDA

View Full Version : Saw one of us trying on makeup at Sephora tonight...

Katrina
02-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, I think he was one of us. He was and older fella, dressed completely in drab. One of the SAs was helping him with a foundation when I first noticed him. At first, I assumed he was getting something for the misses, but then I saw him trying on a lipstick - it was a neutral color. Nobody was paying attention to him or said anything. The store wasn't too busy, but it wasn't empty either. So if that was you trying on makeup at Sephora tonight, kudos to you!

Nicole Erin
02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Well it is good to see another sister has good taste in makeup. I love Sephora! I mean it was not me but I wish it was.

YOu know you should have maybe stopped and said "hi" or even maybe said what you like to use best. I don't know about the rest of us but I love making new Cd friends :)

LACD
02-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Maybe not the same thread, but has anybody tried that in a Penney's or Dillards? I would love to try to get professional opinion about make-up. If anyone has any pointers I would really like to hear them.:happy:

deja true
02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
That brings up a good question, Katrina. If that was you in drab getting help at Sephora, would you like to be spoken to with a compliment or gracious hello by a stranger? A little encouragement to help allay some of the nerves? I think I would.

respect & love (for the courageous and the comforters)

deja

Alicia_lynn419
02-28-2008, 10:20 PM
I've never had the nerve to try make up at the store... even though I hear the Mac folks are great. The last time I went shopping at Sephora, the SA was kinda snotty to me, and I felt like she had issues with me shopping there (I don;t usually feel that way).

pamela_a
02-28-2008, 10:42 PM
The only time I've asked for make up help was at a Macys. The girl at the counter (can't remember which one now) referred me to the MAC counter. The girls there were very friendly and helpful.

-Paula-

Niya W
02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
WHat we need is a code word. Like are you a friend of RU paul :)

linnea
02-29-2008, 12:36 AM
It wasn't me either, but I do like the idea that Erin has suggested. If done gently and in a friendly way, I think that it could be very reassuring. I have gone to make-up counters in Macy's and Nordstrom's--en femme and in drab--and been treated well by the SA's. I have gotten a few second looks, no comments (good or bad), and generally I have felt pretty good but alone. I would have appreciated a contact from another CD or a GG if it were genuine and fairly simple.:2c:

Well it is good to see another sister has good taste in makeup. I love Sephora! I mean it was not me but I wish it was.

YOu know you should have maybe stopped and said "hi" or even maybe said what you like to use best. I don't know about the rest of us but I love making new Cd friends :)

Mya Summers
02-29-2008, 12:48 AM
I definitely know it wasn't me, but when I read this the first thing that poped into my head was when Robin Williams was in the cosmetic section getting tips on how to apply makeup in Mrs.Doubtfire. I have never and probably won't ever be ina store doing that b/c I don't have the nerve..lol Just though that I would throw the Robin Williams bit in there real quick.

varinia
02-29-2008, 02:31 AM
I have seen several of our type in my job and I treat you as you present yourself. My thoughts are you only live once so enjoy yourself.:2c:

Deborah_UK
02-29-2008, 02:31 AM
WHat we need is a code word. Like are you a friend of RU paul :)

Slightly off topic I know - but back in the days when homosexuality was illegal in Britain, Gay men used to have a phrase to identify one another they asked if a person was "a friend of Dorothy".

Awkward if you were not gay and did have a friend called Dorothy I guess!! :D

Katrina
02-29-2008, 06:05 AM
If that was you in drab getting help at Sephora, would you like to be spoken to with a compliment or gracious hello by a stranger? A little encouragement to help allay some of the nerves?

Deja,
I seriously considered it, but he didn't seem flustered at all and seemed kind of busy. Every time we were nearby he was with the SA who was suggesting a product.

We totally need a code phrase.

RikkiOfLA
02-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Actually, to greet a man or a tgirl who is trying on makeup, no code word is needed. Just talk to them about something they (obviously) enjoy--makeup. Walk up and say, "Nice color! Looks good on you!" or something like that. You can do that regardless of how you're dressed, and regardless of whether you're male or female.

I have used this approach myself. I was in a wig and makeup store in a mall and spotted a tgirl and her boyfriend. I was en femme, but the same technique would work regardless of how I was dressed. Struck up a conversation that ultimately involved both of them plus my wife and me. She was nervous at first, and it required several tries to get it going. But we did get the conversation going.

I never "accused" her of being a crossdresser. In other words, I never outed her. This left open all the possibilities--that it really was "a dare" or "a mannish woman" or what have you. I just talked "shop" until she brought up the subject of crossdressing. Once that happened the rest was easy. We talked about our experiences dressing, and by the time we parted, we felt like old friends.

Blessings,
Rikki

I've had GGs do it with me too. At first I felt nervous, but after a few times, I'm quite used to it.