PDA

View Full Version : Do you get discrimination because of having long hair

susanmichelle
02-29-2008, 09:24 PM
The reason I am writing this post is I'm a crossdresser. GASP Anyway I am disabled due to injuries at a previous job and I also have crohn's disease and cronic pain from the injuries. Well because of crossdressing I have grown my hair out and it is now below my shoulder blades. I recently went to my family doctor and asked for something stronger for my pain as it is out of control now. Well she had me have an x-ray of my back neck and shoulder. It came back normal. Well she said she wouldnt give me anything stronger and started me on flexeril muscle relaxers then changed me to skelaxon 800 mg 3 times a day. Well it along with the first one is causing me severe problems with my gastro.

Well anyway she said since it isn't working and the blood test and x-ray came back ok and my long hair I was just drug seeking and was no better than an addict. You can bet I'm in the process of looking for a new doctor and she has taken me off my pain meds and sent me to a pain clinic. I am seeing a new doctor and just had an MRI of the affected areas and havent gotten the results back yet. But he is looking at me in the same way but not said what the first did. I am not ashamed that I am transdered being a crossdresser but it is really none of their business as to my lifestyle but to treat me for my medical problems.

Has anyone ever been looked at as a hippy so to speak because of their looks having long hair and the like. I have had problems with it on a small scale for awhile at businesses and so on untill they get to know me and then dont look at me as a hippy but as a nice person thats not a drug seeker or a bum because of my looks. People after getting to know me for me and my outlooks on life really don't see me that way at all.

ps: theres nothing wrong with being a hippy btw as I was one in my younger years. I just prefer my natural long hair better than wearing a wig with me being a crossdresser. Hope I have explained this so whoever reads understands.

sandra-leigh
02-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Has anyone ever been looked at as a hippy so to speak because of their looks having long hair and the like.

I have had my (long straight) hair several inches below my shoulder blades without noticing any issues from anyone official (e.g., doctors, university, work). I have short hair at present, but it has only been short for about 5 weeks; it was a little below my shoulder when I got it cut (mostly so that I could wear my new short short wig!)

On the other hand, my circumstances are not at all the same as yours -- my doctor encourages me to take more medicine than I usually do, as I tend to skimp and he feels a more regular higher dose would be better for my treatment. I'm not taking any pain medication at all; and the one medication that I am taking that some people get addicted to (but apparently never for my kind of illness), I'm only taking about 1/3 as much as he would like me to take, so he's concerned that I'm not taking enough.

Robertacd
03-01-2008, 03:01 AM
I would find a new doctor. I have long hair, it has been down to the middle of my back for decades. Never had a problem getting pain killers from my doctor. My doctor seems to prescribe Vicoden (hydrocodone) for any little ache or pain.

Lilith Moon
03-01-2008, 05:28 AM
I've had long hair for the last 40 years. It is difficult to know if I'm being discriminated against because I can't compare what does happen with what would have happened with short hair...if you see what I mean. I can recall only one incident where I may have been taken for a hippy drug taker. I had a bout of back problems and was prescribed a compound medication called "LoBack" which I took when the pain became severe.

Those with back problems will know that some of the pain is secondary and caused by muscle spasm rather than the injury itself. Loback contained a muscle relaxent that reduced that problem and I was happy to take it during periods of pain.

That is..until my doctor refused to prescribe it one day. I was quite angry with him, partly because I was generally angry with the world due to the pain I was in, and because I knew that I could get relief with the medication..why was he refusing to help me like he had previously ?

Then he came out with it..."I have had several other Temazepam addicts trying to score here and have decided not to prescribe any more Temazepam based medicines." That muscle relaxant was Temazopam. I was outraged because I was no hippy junkie despite my long hair. I simply took this stuff a few times a year when I was in severe pain. I never did get any more LoBack and have struggled for 40+ years with simple painkillers until Diclofenac arrived a couple of years ago and this is quite an effective treatment when my back problem flares up.

Stephanie Anne
03-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Not to play devil's advocate but prescription pain medication abuse is a huge problem in this country. Most doctors do subscribe to a Hippocratic oath to do what is best for their patients, not what is easy.

I highly doubt these doctors discriminated based on your looks. By admission alone the OP described the results as normal which in turn most likely raised concern. While I do not doubt your pain, I wonder if these accusations are taken out of context of the situation at hand. Doctors have to watch out for the risk of addiction and as I stated in the beginning, the abuse of pain killers has put many on edge.

deja true
03-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Su...

Before her first refusal, had you gotten along well with her? Did you trust her?

Was it plainly spoken that your long hair was the reason for the refusal?

She did prescribe an alternative though, right? Too bad it was not as effective.

I wonder that, if you had told your doctor that you had long hair because you were transgendered, she might have relented on the refusal to prescribe the painkiller you needed. Her confidentiality should be guaranteed by her oath.

If your hair was unquestionably the reason, you may have a justification to take it up with your state licensing board as discriminatory.

Good luck on your search for a sympathetic doctor. I wish you well

deja

carolinebrookes
03-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Not sure if it counts as predjudice, but I did have long hair for most of my teens and twenties.
It is true that people look upon you in a different way if you don't have a conventional haircut/style. I liked my hair long but felt that it was holding back business due to my perception of other people's thinking.
It's a shme that people judge "books by their covers"

In the end I had my long hair lopped off and it confirmed what I thought about what others thought about me. Business boomed as I looked more groomed.

A great shame. Now I resort to wigs. :sad:

susanmichelle
03-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks so much ladies for the replies,

Viktoriya, you devils advocate, lol, just joking. I do realize about abuse. I have never abused drugs in any way and I do know alot of people that get really strong stuff for pain and they don't even take it. Some of them end up selling what they get and thats maybe part of the problem with people that really need it in getting the proper care. I think the real reason many doctors are starting to send patients to pain clinics is the FDA and new regulations on meds like that.

Deja, to answer your questions, I have been seeing her for almost 2 years and seemed to have a good relationship with her, and no it was not plainly spoken of my long hair but it was short when i started going to her and I havent cut it in the last 2 years. Besides being a crossdresser one of the reasons I am growing it is on August 6th 09 I am going to be Matron of Honor at my best friends wedding. She asked me if i would 2 years ago and I agreed. All of her family, kids and friends know of me and dressing and are great about me agreeing to do this for her. Back to the subject, she did however call me nothing but a drug seeker and was no better than an addict. Her exact words. As far as being transgendered, I have come out to so many i've lost track. I dont feel it is something that she needs to know as that is not why I'm seeing her, She does examine me and I have been completely shaved for last 8 years. So she has to figure something but does she really need to know. I would tell her if she asked but should I really tell. I do believe I am going to make a complaint to the AMA and to Medicare since they are my primary provider about my care. Thanks for the well wishes.

Caroline, yes it is definately true that peoples thinking hurts with business. I have been there before but when I was working I did keep my hair shorter and well groomed. It is a shame that people judge "books by their covers" but as I stated when someone really gets to know me for me then they overlook the outer appearances of me. I haven't worked since 1991 due to injuries and 2 strokes so I really dont need to keep up appearances anymore. I do miss working though as I had high experience in Maintenance work of all phases and was also a registered locksmith when I became unable to do the work scene anymore.

From what you have all replied to I believe the best option is to find a new doctor asap. Its really difficult sometimes but I do know there are great doctors out there and hopefully soon I can come to some kind of solution. My main concern that started this was I also have high blood pressure and its been low from taking meds for it. clonodine works great for me but since the pain level is coming back into action its gone to what i think is dangerous levels. 179/117 is too much. Thats what its been at the hospital and the doctors office lately. Again thanks for all the replys. :)

Charleen
03-01-2008, 09:17 AM
I've had long hair most of my life and the only trouble has been with the unwashed. Those people who look down on anyone who doesn't fit into their very narrow thinking of how EVERYTHING must be. Even those have been few and far between especially in the last few years.
As far as the doctor goes, it might not be the hair. The abuse of prescription drugs has been running rampant lately. They,ve busted a few doctors around here for running pill rackets. It might be that your doc is just "CYA".

Angie G
03-01-2008, 09:22 AM
My wife has a few thing going on the give her a lot of pain so I know what you saying S Susan it take a lot to get them to believe you have that much pain I feel sympathize with you. As far as the loge hair go's I have long hair also And get some remarks now and then Bu not to the point of discrimination. I ask and know you will be careful with the drugs they can git out of hand. and we would not want to lose you as we all care for you hun.:love:and:hugs:
Angie

renee99
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Not to play devil's advocate but prescription pain medication abuse is a huge problem in this country. Most doctors do subscribe to a Hippocratic oath to do what is best for their patients, not what is easy.

Actually, they do what is best to avoid a DEA raid, regardless of the patient's pain level. Read "The Doctor Wasn't Cruel Enough". Sad, but true. Maybe OP's doctor was the victim of someone acting as part of a sting in the past.

Sally2005
03-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Could be the doctor doesn't want you to become addicted int he future...

Also long hair gets a bum wrap for sure. Popular songs have lyrics like "get a haircut and get a real job".

Maybe wash and style your hair in to a nice feminine look instead of a guys hippy style and see if it makes a difference when you visit?

VikkiVixen7188
03-04-2008, 01:46 AM
And the sign says "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I put my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that, huh, me working for you"

SIGNS BY TESLA

ALSO A POPULAR SONG!

I have long Purple hair. It works great for Metal band and great for CD. I love it and yes I have been looked at criminally and even been pulle dover for bogus reasons, but I wouldnt cut it for all the gold in fort knox.

Melissa Ryan
03-04-2008, 06:37 AM
I too have long hair, have had it long all my life. The only comment I ever got about it was from my brother after he cut his short. Sounds wierd to me.

susanmichelle
03-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Well I went to my gastro doctor yesterday and they are going to schedule me for upper and lower scopes to be done and also imaging of my gall bladder. They are going to schedule it for me this week. He was upset at my weight loss from 186 to 156 and the high blood perssure readings.

I received a call from the pain clinic after I got home and the results were a torn rotor cuff in my right shoulder, I have a bulgeing disk in the lower lumbar and I have a cyst in my right kidney. I asked if they were going to do anything to help me with the pain levels and she said no not at this time i would have to wait to discuss the options with the pain doctor on the 13th.

I talked to a few friends that are in the medical field and both of them think that my family physican has blackballed me. I hope not and does anyone know anything about how to change that if she has. I again appreciate all the replys.

Carroll
03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I know all about the pain some go through. I have been on pain meds for the past 4 years. I have a herniated disk (L5-S1) that pushes into a nerve that effects my left leg. For the past two I have been on a fentanyl (Duragesic) patch. I am on the 75mcg/hr patch. It is a very powerful drug to be used by patients that have been on "opiate" type drugs for a time and is NOT for acute (short-term) pain. It is 90 times stronger than Morphine, and the patch stays on for 3 days. There are times the pain "breaks through" and I have to take Percocet 5/325.

LaurenEP
03-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I've always experienced a certain amount of discrimination resulting from my long hair. Only once has it been related, albeit tangentially, to my crossdressing activities. I often get stares wherever I go.

The one place I've been where I didn't stand out, and hence didnt' get a single obvious stare was Austin, Texas. There are so many people who look far less "conventional," I'll say, in that town, I look moderate.

Personally, I don't think there's anything about my appearance that should attract so much attention (en homme!) but it's happened to me in this town for years.

There's a song by Nuclear Assault called "Long-Haired ___hole" that I recommend reading the lyrics to. Of course, you have to fill in the blanks with the first three letters of "Assault" to get the right title. The band is a thrash metal band, but the song is done in a twangy country-western style.

MarinaTwelve200
03-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Why gripe about it? We all know that long hair on a guy disturbs some people, especially potential employers who, if not personally against it, fears it may turn off some clients.

Its OUR own choice to wear our hair long---and we well know the kind of social difficulties it can cause----but THAT'S the price we pay for the privlidge. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If its worth the price , we have every right to do it.----But if you can't take the heat , get out of the kitchen.

Long hair, just like race or weight can and does evoke "discrimination". But in the case of hair, we CAN change (Cut) it. Laws against discrimination only apply (or should apply) for those things we CAN'T change about ourselves. A voluntary act, especially one for which one KNOWS the consequences of before hand, is just something we voluntarily must pay the price for.

Jamie001
03-06-2008, 12:26 AM
I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you statement. Laws against discrimination should apply regarding hair. It is called Gender Discrimination.

Why gripe about it? We all know that long hair on a guy disturbs some people, especially potential employers who, if not personally against it, fears it may turn off some clients.

Its OUR own choice to wear our hair long---and we well know the kind of social difficulties it can cause----but THAT'S the price we pay for the privlidge. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If its worth the price , we have every right to do it.----But if you can't take the heat , get out of the kitchen.

Long hair, just like race or weight can and does evoke "discrimination". But in the case of hair, we CAN change (Cut) it. Laws against discrimination only apply (or should apply) for those things we CAN'T change about ourselves. A voluntary act, especially one for which one KNOWS the consequences of before hand, is just something we voluntarily must pay the price for.

KayR
03-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I think it's disgusting. Doctors above all other professions should be able to see the person behind the appearance. I feel sorry for you, being in such pain, and if I was a doctor and suspected you of any sort of substance abuse, then surely it is incumbent upon me - hipocratic oath and all - to cherish you? I would do this by discussing your case with you. If my suspicions were aroused, I would refer you to a clinic for either therapy or testing. I would not, and don't believe anyone should dismiss you because of my own predjudice.:sad: