PDA

View Full Version : Bad situation at club - almost!

Genifer Teal
03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I've been out so much to main stream clubs that I thought I've been in some of the worst possible situations. Last nite hit a new low. I was meeting up with some new GG friends at a club they picked. Not my kind of place really but I am always up for a challenge. I get there 11:15 to beat the 12:00 cover charge curfew. Still concerned I might have to pay to get in, I started chatting with the girls in front of me who were obviously celebrating a party of some kind (turned out to be a birthday). They invited me to join them and enter free with their group - something I hoped would happen. They turned out to be very nice. Another reason I wanted to befriend them was not to be in there completely on my own. I had a sense this would be helpful.

When time came to use the rest room, they asked me to join them. I love that girls use the rest room together. I so understand it now. As reference, there is a law in NYC that you may use the bathroom of the gender you present as. I never have trouble in clubs so I don't even think about it.

For whatever reason the door was propped open to the laidies room. As I stood there waiting my turn, a bouncer called me out and pointed me where the mens room was. I simply said "Are you serious? This is NYC" - not even mentioning the law. He had no comment and seemed ambivilent. Another bounecer snickered and walked away. It seemed they just wanted a closer look at me. I turned and went back to the ladies room. He didn't stop me or say anything more.

5 min later I am in the stall and I hear a bouncer asking (into the ladies room) where did that tall dude go? All the girls came to my aid and said they didn't know. When I went back to the club, nothing more came of the incident. It just left me feeling uncomfortable. The whole place was not my scene and the music (to this point) was not my type. I was there for my new friends who had still not arrived.

Had I not met the girls on the line outside, I would have left already. This was not a place to enter alone. They were definately my saviors. My other friends finally arrived at 12:40 and had to pay to get in. By 1:30 they were ready to leave because the drinks were too expensive and they had no money. As I was getting my coat, a new dj started playing great music. I was ready to dance. 3 great songs in a row. I was ready to take the place on and shake it but it was too late. I was there to hang with my new freinds and we were moving on. Oh well.

Gen

CaptLex
03-02-2008, 09:08 PM
As reference, there is a law in NYC that you may use the bathroom of the gender you present as.

Hi, Gen:

Just because it's the law (and the law was changed very recently), doesn't mean that everyone is aware of it. That's why I always carry a card distributed by the NYC Commission on Human Rights ("Know Your NYC Restroom Rights") that we can use to present in cases like these. It even says on the card, "These rules are not well known. Show this card if you have problems using a restroom or other sex-segregated facility because of your gender identity or expression."

You can contact a couple of places which should be able to help you get one (these are listed on the back of the card):

Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund
347-284-6710; transgenderlegal.org

New York Association for Gender Rights Advocacy
212-675-3288, x338; nyagra.com

New York Civil Liberties Union
212-607-3300; nyclu.org

Nicki B
03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
It's usually when the bouncers aren't very bright and don't know what they're doing - it's only happened to me once (in the UK), I complained to the club management who employ the bouncer company.. They want their punters to be happy?

But heck, how long do clubs last, in NYC? :D

Genifer Teal
03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
But heck, how long do clubs last, in NYC? :D

It depends who is on their payroll.

Hi, Gen:

Just because it's the law (and the law was changed very recently), doesn't mean that everyone is aware of it.

Thanks for the info. As sad as it sounds many police officers are unaware of the law too. Perhaps the bouncers knew something of the law because they didn't carry it any further. If they really thought I was a threat, they would not have hesitated to physically remove me.

Gen

Jennifer Lynndon
03-02-2008, 10:49 PM
It depends who is on their payroll.

Thanks for the info. As sad as it sounds many police officers are unaware of the law too. Perhaps the bouncers knew something of the law because they didn't carry it any further. If they really thought I was a threat, they would not have hesitated to physically remove me.
Gen

You're right-on here sweetie!

All security professionals have tremendous discressionary powers. Remaining non-threatening and reasonable is always a good plan.

JaytoJillian
03-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Gen I'm sorry you had to endure that hassle. I love the fact that you go everywhere AND make friends easily. BUT... let's NOT go to that club when I come to town. Right now, it's looking like July. Any recommendations on hotels near good nightlife? I stayed in midtown last year and the place was 500 bucks a night. Looking for a much better rate this summer.

Cheers,

Jill

SandyR
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Gen,

I must say things here in NM are way differrent then NYC, but it sounds like your night could have been worse........Seems like the girls came to the rescue.

Thanks for sharing.

Hugs!

SandyR

Genifer Teal
03-02-2008, 11:34 PM
This story was relayed to show that sometimes things can happen. It is in no way representative of the club scene in NYC. In 7 years I can only remember one other bathroom concern and that wat at the Marriott Marquis lounge.

I would not have chosen to go to this place - my GG friends did and I was open to something new. I would also like to point out the importance of making those friends on the line. Glad I have that ability. I was concerned enough about the place to not want to be entirely alone - even though my other freinds were on the way.

Under the right circumstances, I will go just about anywhere. Expereince has taught me where I may not fit in. I impressed myself that I had the forethought to make friends with the gilrs on the line. They really saved the day. I was thinking ahead on instinct before I even got inside - and they were cute.

Overall this was a minor thing. I was more botherd that we left just as the music got good. lol

Gen

Nicki B
03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Overall this was a minor thing. I was more botherd that we left just as the music got good. lol

The fact that you thought it worth raising maybe shows how rare things like this happening are...

SandyR
03-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Heheh........Its a bummer to leave just when the music, or party gets good.

SandyR

Genifer Teal
03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
The fact that you thought it worth raising maybe shows how rare things like this happening are...

Something like that. It really shows how important it is to use your head and be smart when aproaching a new situation. I wanted to prove to myself I could go to a place like this even when I had my reservations. I say I go everywhere, once in a while I have to test my limits.

Gen