PDA

View Full Version : Looking better vs confidence

Genifer Teal
03-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I have been out most weekends for abour 7 years now. I recently looked back at some photos from years 1 & 2. I was shocked. I couldn't imagine going out looking like that today. This got me thinking of how I'll pretty much go anywhere today yet, I doubt I'd have the courage to leave the house if I looked like I did back then.

This brought to mind the qestion. Do I have more confidence today? or Is it easeir because I look better and doesn't mean I have more confidence? Like many things in life, once you know it is hard to imagine not knowing. I did a lot back then. I just can't believe I did it looking likt that. lol.

Has anyone else looked back at how their appearance has improved over the years? Taking everything into account (hair, makeup, clothes) - would you still go out looking like you did a few years ago? How much of your confidence is derived from your improved look?

Gen

cindybarnes
03-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I just looked back at some of my oldest pics while out and about and no doubt,,, Im going downhill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darn,, now thats gonna bug me all day !
:)

Cindy

Kate Simmons
03-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I think some of it is due to more experience and trial and error and what looks best Genifer. I do think that with myself, however, the greatest improvement has been with my interactions with others. That has made the biggest difference for me and has partly made me who I am today and has certainly made me more of an outgoing person.:)

Kristen Marie
03-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi Jennifer,

I definitely agree.

I do have some great vintage shots, and while I was in better shape at the time, what I wore and how I wore my make-up and wig was scary. The clothes were not that attractive and the shoes were terrible.

Seems now I like to put together outfits. What goes best with this blouse, this sweater, and that breeds confidence in going out.

Kayla Shadows
03-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I think confidence has a lot to do with how you look.If you feel you are looking your best I think you will have less fear of being seen out.I havnt been out yet but I will with how far my image has improved

Amy Hepker
03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
You are right, I do better on my appearance now than I have ever done before. I do believe the right wig and makeup make a big difference in my appearance as well as shving closer and now I am using an epilator to get rid of unwanted facial hair and breast hormones to enhance my breasts which are getting bigger. I have better looking Bras also that help as well as dressing more like most Ladies do these days.

tommi
03-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Even young GGs improve as they grow older and become more refined. I think it is the late bloomer effect.
Because we didn't growup doing all the little things that most young women do it takes us time to catch up.
I don't try to go out let alone pass but I do enjoy getting dressed up and even enjoy the makeup and hair routine.
I don't have the time to practice these skills enough but what little practice I do get has allowed me slow refinement of these skills.

PameeSue
03-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I just looked back at some of my oldest pics while out and about and no doubt,,, Im going downhill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darn,, now thats gonna bug me all day !
:)

Cindy

Really Cindy......Pulease give us some hope!
....downhill!!!! she says......:tongueout
downhill is better right?
You are sooooo far up that hill girl, it shouldnt matter!
.........I guess its relative after all.........
Now its gonna bug me all day that someone (you) can look that good and think that your going downhill.
Shake that head of yours!
I'd crawl a mile over broken glass just to sniff the exhaust fumes of the van that took away your laundry....(then find said van and steal said laundry)
You're too stunning to comment further!
:hugs:and :love:

Suzie P

Genifer Teal
03-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. Let me clarify my question a little. It is great that most of us have improved our looks. As we gain experience going out, we also gain confidence. What I am really wondering is how much of our ability to go out and the level of where we feel comfortable going to now has to do with confidence and how much has to do with our improved look making it easier to fit in?

It is likely a blend of both, however, if I looked (and dressed) like I did 5 years ago, even with the confidence I have now, I would be embarrased to go out. What does this really mean?

I believe that because I look much better now, I fit in more and find more acceptance which makes it much easier to go places I might never have gone several years back. They key part is "easier". If I won't go out now looking like I did back then, does that mean I have less confidence now?

I am asking weather my improved confidence is real or precieved. What do you think?

Gen

slamddoger
03-09-2008, 01:12 PM
i think both.

Dawn Marie
03-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I think this whole thing is a growing process, we start out with a little fear, then we work are way up to confidence. And as we grow we get better ar makeup, hair, and a sense of style. This all adds up to give us more confidence and a more sense of blending in.

cindybarnes
03-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Suzie, P , your check is on the way LOL thanks tho,

Gennifer, I suppose my more serious answer to your question would be that even tho I dont get out like I used to, I have more confidence when I do go out now, not because of what Im wearing or an improved look, but because the initial fear is gone ,sort of been there done that,,
I never really did dress much different than I do now, always been kinda conservative ,, tried to blend from day 1

Cindy

Littlej10
03-09-2008, 03:00 PM
I can't believe how I was dressed and how I used makeup when I first went out. I would die of embarassment now. I think I largely got away with it by ignorance and not taking any notice of what might happen. Wiser(?), more practiced and more cautious now.

JoAnnDallas
03-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I would say both. I remember when I first started going out back in 2005. How scaried I was and how nervious. Today 3 years later, I have no problem going out. I did notice something that did bother me. I would put on my makeup, get dressed and look in the mirror to see how well I was done and then as I was out I would take pictures of myself. Later looking at the pictures, I would be horrified at how yucky my makeup and it must have looke that way to others. I discovered later that pictures do not do justice to makeup LOL. You have to have the right makeup for pictures which may not be the same for going out. Over the last three years I have learned may things that have made my outings more enjoyable and fun. part of it is what I precieve looking at myself and precieve how others see me when I am dressed.

LA CINDY LOVE
03-10-2008, 02:28 PM
If I look like I did yrs ago I would never go to the places I go to now, there is not a CD who has old photos of them self and say what was I thinking I should have been shot for going out dress like that.

My first year dressing I had no experience, no confidence and no appearance,
I would wear the same cloths all the time almost, the turning point for me came when an old queen told me that I was a mess and that I could do a lot better if I work on my appearance and that is just what I did.

My appearance gave me my confidence and soon experience on make-up what cloths I can wear and what cloths I can not wear.

I have to say it was my appearance that made Cindy who she is.

LA CINDY LOVE

Eugenie
03-10-2008, 05:44 PM
I think that confidence is a part of yours looking good "en femme"... If one is not confident enough, then the look cannot be good. It will obvious to the people who see you that you are not at ease and then they will see your look is different.

However, "good look" is also a leverage for developping confidence. I have seen many girls changing completely their confidence level after having gone through a professional makeover.

So there seems to be a complementarity betwwen look and confidence...

As a second comment, I have also some difficulties to believe I went out like I did when I see some of my earlier pics... :o

:hugs:
Eugenie

vikki2020
03-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Genifer, I don't think confidence can be perceived.At least not real confidence.If you have it, it's real, by it's own definition.Just by going out so often, gives fuel to the confidence engine.And I don"t know about the "before", but you look great now!