PDA

View Full Version : Does height matter ... that much?

Carrie f
03-10-2008, 09:20 AM
I still have two major issues to deal with before trying to be more public. I don't like heels, I love heels. Even if they're only 2 -2.5 inch. The other is I'm almost 6'3"

I've heard girls on here and other places talk about being 6ft+, and passable, but I've always had my doubts. I'm not a particularly feminine looking man to begin with, and I just wonder how I, at 6'3" plus two inch heels could ever present myself as a woman. One of the secrets of passing is not to draw too much attention to oneself, but at 6'3" (6'5" with heels), am I just dreaming? Even with flats, I'm a 6'3" woman which isn't exactly commonplace.

If I can't do it I can't. I can live with that if I have to. Just be content with dressing around other girls and friends /acquiantances I have or will bring into my circle. It's just that I've come so far and worked so hard on other aspects of being a woman, it's frustrating. Not only the visual but the emotional and mental acceptance and commitment.

I'd love to hear your thoughts or realistic suggestions.
Thank you Carrie

tommi
03-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Personally at 6'3'' and I weigh 220lbs I just feel I look to much like a man for to be able to think about passing or even being accepted when out dressed.
I came to terms with that but don't let me stop you to each there own if you can get the rest of your look down.
I see taller women quite often where I work I just don't have the right frame
work they are either skinny or larger women. There still quite beeautiful and
they always seem so confident in them selves. That's why I say if your comfortable that is all that matters.

Priscilla Ann
03-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I will say this at 6'3" even if you are very passable as a woman you will stand out. This is my opinion. Others may disagree.

tommi
03-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I know that taller women get my attention but I like taller women.

RikkiOfLA
03-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Dear Carrie,

Yeah, 6'3" is tall, but not too tall. There was a girl in my high school who was 6'6". It didn't stop her from going to college, becoming a PhD marine biologist, getting married and having two kids.

There are plenty of tall women in the world.
Have a look at http://www.tallwomen.org for some neat resources.

Can tall women wear heels? Sure, why not! If anyone asks you about them, just tell them you need them to look your husband in the eye. They won't mess with you after that! :daydreaming:

Blessings,
Rikki

jennifer41356
03-10-2008, 11:42 AM
height may not be as important as the overall height/weight ratio...women who are 6'3" probably tend to weigh 150-170lbs,

I knew a Cd who was maybe 6'-1" but she was very slender and could pass ok...she did have the old Adams apple, so that was the one thing that could give her away

Julia Welch
03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm 5'9" ....6' in heels....and I think I'm at the limit of not standing out.

Just my :2c:

Sonia Kiss
03-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Hello Carrie,

Thoughts are easy. :) Realistic suggestions though, well, people have different opinions on what is realistic...

My thoughts:
Passability is way overrated.
Lack of passability should never keep you from going out in public.
Almost no one passes for everyone all of the time.
Almost everyone passes for some people some of the time.
You will hardly ever know if you really pass for someone or not.
Height is just one of many factors that might draw attention to you.
Yeah, you'll get some attention, maybe a little more than the average person on the street.
Half of all people get more attention than the average person on the street.

...I've come so far and worked so hard on other aspects of being a woman.... Not only the visual but the emotional and mental acceptance and commitment.

Beautiful! Accepting yourself as a woman is far more important than height or anything else!

(And one more thought here before the suggestions)
Tall women look great in heels.

Suggestions now :)
Be safe.
Just do it!
Dress to blend.
Confidence comes with experience. Don't worry, it does.
Redefine your goal of "passing" from "pass as female since birth" to "pass as a woman."
On cobblestones, you must train your reflexes to do two things subconsciously and simultaneously: 1. keep weight on the ball of your foot, and 2. place your heel on the tops of the cobblestones.

Love and best wishes,
Sonia

joann07
03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Like what the other girls said, there are tall women out there who are beautiful, but I don't look at them any differently than shorter women.
Why? Because they're confident and they present themselves appropriately.
They wear clothes that sort of disguise their height so that they don't stand out.

The same can be applied for tall tgirls.
If you conduct and present yourself appropriately, then you'll blend in.
I'm sure I've passed a talk tgirl, but just never noticed because of how she blends in.

Hugs!

JoAnnDallas
03-10-2008, 01:55 PM
When I wear 4" heels, I am 6' tall and I don't let that stop me from going out.
To me it's all in the atitude.

1. Act like you belong
2. Act like you do this every day
3. Smile

That gets me where I want to go.

DemonicDaughter
03-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm a 5' 8" GG and normally wear heels that make me between 6' and 6'2". Hunnie, there is no way you aren't going to stand out and get stares as a tall woman. But if you have the attitude and carry yourself with dignity and confidence, you will fair a lot better than trying to "blend in" at your height.

Work the attitude, hun! Because that's what its all about. :D

mollytyler
03-10-2008, 03:00 PM
5'9" to begin with ...so limit to 2.5" or 3" max if in elegeant attire...i think men enjoy tall women....have had no real problems over the years

Nicole Erin
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
5'9" to begin with ...so limit to 2.5" or 3" max if in elegeant attire...i think men enjoy tall women....have had no real problems over the years

Shoot if that is you in the av, you look quite good. ;)

Build has a bit to do with it, like some of the girls here I am 5'9 but I am built like a linebacker. No skimpy tops for me.

There are plenty of taller women out there. And yes, I think a lot of guys find that sexy in itself.
Worry not.

pamela_a
03-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm a 5' 8" GG and normally wear heels that make me between 6' and 6'2"Bless you and all the other GGs out there like you. It's because of you beautiful taller ladies who also wear heels that I, at 6'5" in stocking feet, am able to find pants with an inseam long enough for me on the rack.

As for going out dressed, I love it. As others have pointed out, it's all about confidence. I'm not a small girl by any stretch of the imagination (God bless Lane Bryant) but I've found that if I hold my head up high and have confidence in myself I can go out and have a good time.

-Paula-

Carrie f
03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm 5'9" ....6' in heels....and I think I'm at the limit of not standing out.

Just my :2c:

I think you're right Julia. I'm not happy about it but I think you're right.

[QUOTE Rikki=Yeah, 6'3" is tall, but not too tall. There was a girl in my high school who was 6'6". It didn't stop her from going to college, becoming a PhD marine biologist, getting married and having two kids.

Rikki, I know there are lot's of tall successful and beautiful women. They also get noticed and stared at. My femininity won't stand up to that kind of scrutiny, unfortunately.

Amy07
03-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi Carrie f!
6 foot 2 in flats, so whatever heel I wear adds to that. And it does stand out, even for the GG, and I know a few GGs as tall as me. But to each her own will and comfort level!
I love the Skynyrd quote in your signature too!

Sarah**Jane GG
03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi

I'm a bit of a shorty, sizing up at only 5ft6'' but I have to say I don't think theres anything wrong with tall girls, in fact I think they look fab. I have a few GG friends that are around the 6ft mark and they wear heels and hold their heads high. Your height shouldn't prevent you from doing what u want. xxxxx

Hugs
Sarah xx

Joy Carter
03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Six foot here. I'd not let height stop you from being who you are. Get out there and fly little bird !:D

harmony
03-10-2008, 04:05 PM
i am 6ft2in and been out in the world many times.
what matters the most to me are proportions.a have a much larger canvas to work with and take full advantage of it.
its curves baby!a well rounded derrier and hips with a nice rack
will draw a lot of attention away from your height

Carrie f
03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I appreciate your help. I think it all boils down to what I've known in the back of my mind all along. Attitude and confidence. And I am height weight proportionate with long legs and torso. Also I've developed a pretty good swing to my hips.

When I have been out of town and dressed, I have this thing I do. When I feel someone is staring or overly curious, I turn so they have a full frontal view and I make direct eye contact. Not in an aggressive or 'what are you looking at' way, but in a confident, 'yes I am, don't I look great' kind of way with a hint of a smile in my eyes and the corner of my mouth. Often resulting in some kind of non-offensive smile /nod in return or they'll just ignore me.

But that's when I'm out of town. I can't do that at home due to family /career etc. Was hoping someone had some ideas but it's an unfair question. A 6'5" (with heels), I'm going to stand out. But you've convinced me there's standing out and there's being comfortable and confident with standing out. I really am quite grateful.

DemonicDaughter
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Bless you and all the other GGs out there like you. It's because of you beautiful taller ladies who also wear heels that I, at 6'5" in stocking feet, am able to find pants with an inseam long enough for me on the rack.

As for going out dressed, I love it. As others have pointed out, it's all about confidence. I'm not a small girl by any stretch of the imagination (God bless Lane Bryant) but I've found that if I hold my head up high and have confidence in myself I can go out and have a good time.

-Paula-

Oh I ssssssooooo hear you on the inseam length! I use to have the most difficult time with it (my legs are a little over 3' long from hip to heel). Now a days, its a bit easier. I tend to think I have CDs to thank for that! :)

I appreciate your help. I think it all boils down to what I've known in the back of my mind all along. Attitude and confidence. And I am height weight proportionate with long legs and torso. Also I've developed a pretty good swing to my hips.

When I have been out of town and dressed, I have this thing I do. When I feel someone is staring or overly curious, I turn so they have a full frontal view and I make direct eye contact. Not in an aggressive or 'what are you looking at' way, but in a confident, 'yes I am, don't I look great' kind of way with a hint of a smile in my eyes and the corner of my mouth. Often resulting in some kind of non-offensive smile /nod in return or they'll just ignore me.

But that's when I'm out of town. I can't do that at home due to family /career etc. Was hoping someone had some ideas but it's an unfair question. A 6'5" (with heels), I'm going to stand out. But you've convinced me there's standing out and there's being comfortable and confident with standing out. I really am quite grateful.

That's the right attitude hunnie! You will do wonderful!

Eliza
03-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Does height matter ???

I hope not or thats me screwed lol :heehee: and i'm 6" 3' too with Heels

Genifer Teal
03-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Height is what you make of it. At 6'4" I am very tall. Flats won't save me. I figure why not look my best? I usually wear 5" sandals with a slight platform. Sure this makes me even taller, but I've got the right attitude to make it work for me. Being thin helps.

Everyone remembers me wherever I go. Fortunately I like the attention. I can't hide if I tried to. I've never felt it has held me back. The only time I wish I could be shorter is when the GGs are more likely to talk to my friends because in a noisy club it is physically esasier to talk to someone closer to your own height.

Gen

Janet Bern
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I am 6'3 and wear flats.. For the first time I went out with my gg. we went shopping in many different shops and malls in one day. no one noticed .. maybe my height but the didnt stare. Many women smiled but most just walk by.. some advice.. wear clothes that fit nicely and blend, (no sexy stuff) keep the flat heels. and make sure the makeup is neat and nothing obvious. you will be fine
Janet

docrobbysherry
03-10-2008, 08:01 PM
As others have said, height may not be as important as your overall size. I dated two over 6' GGs. I never really noticed, and they didn't stand out because they were not "big". If u r, u mite appear imposing to some folks!

TSchapes
03-10-2008, 08:03 PM
It's not that I haven't gone out before, it's just been a long time. I'm 6'4" and the things I've been telling myself are:

When I go out as my male self, I get looks for being tall.

If I were female, I would get looks for being tall.

If I were to go out enfemme, I wouldn't know if they were looking at me because I'm a tall girl or because I'm a CD. I would have to assume they were looking at me because I'm a tall girl! Mind over matter. Or, something like that.

Oh, and to make you and I feel better, here's a website of GGs 6' and greater:

Tallest Women of the World (http://www.tallestwomenoftheworld.com/)

I guess from what I read they get stares too, so, somehow I would have to keep that in the back of my mind if I ever go out again.

Oh, and some of them are gorgeous:

Alexis Skye (http://www.alexisskye.com/index.htm)

Repeat together "I know we can, I know we can"

Love, Tracy

victoriamwilliams1
03-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I have no problems and I wear heels from 1/4 inch to 3.5 inches And I am close to 7ft! People are going to look and I have gotten to the point of not caring what people say. I keep myself neat and no over sexy outfits as well as dress for the time of day.

Dalece
03-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm 6' without heels and now down to 240 lbs. Getting down to that girlish figure:heehee:. But height is ok I know some real GG that tower over me without heels.

Sandi jo
03-11-2008, 06:27 AM
Nothing wrong with a tall woman just be comfortable being yourself