PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever wonder why?

Vanessac48
03-18-2008, 05:33 PM
It's kind of strange, but when a man puts on make-up, and a dress, many look at him as being either gay, or has some serious issues, but when a woman throws on your T-shirt, and a pair of jeans, and some work boots, no make-up, she is fine, and nobody questions her. Why is it like that? Women can wear any form of men's clothing they want. They go to a job interview in a business suit, if a man ever showed up at an interview in a dress, and lipstick, he'd be laughed out of the place. Is that what makes it desireable for us? Because it is taboo, and we are quietly rebeling in our own way? Yet almost every male news anchor, or TV personality, puts make-up on before taking to the camera, but that is fine right? What a two-faced society we live in.

Amy Hepker
03-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Because our society thinks all men have to be men and females can be whoever they want to be. We are changing that view with forums like this one that show we are not Strange, we are real people in the wrong body. There are many very powerful people that crossdress. I know of Lawyers, Judges, Truck Drivers,so on and so forth, Many people from many walks of life, many guys have manly jobs and CD when they can.

Roberta Llyan
03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
It has not always been so for women. They have had a long hard rough road to get where they are as far as the way they dress. In the 1870's, in Tucson, Arizona, the wife of a council member was arrested and jailed for wearing men's jeans and clothes. And this is not the first time in American history when women were persecuted.

The difference is: They fought it and continued to fight it as they sought equal rights and the vote. And by the 1920's, they were wearing their choice and doing it without as much persection. Yet, there was still some. This didn't change until about 2 decades later when women like Kathrin Hepburn and other movie stars began wearing the men's clothing and making it "fashionable." More and more women then followed suit and, if the men protested, the men were punished in various ways--such as the woman leaving and the man having to cook, clean and other chores on his own. So it was a struggle for them just as it is for us men today. And we will have to MORE OPENLY DRESS on more occasions to change things.

If we hide in the closet, it will never happen. Granted, there will be persecution. But such is humanity. Some will have to suffer so those who come after them can be free. This is the way things are and will remain. Amd YES, I am a 24/7 CDer.

(I'm a historian so I base what I've said on my studies and the books (20 of them) I've written.

Hope that answers your question.

DemonicDaughter
03-18-2008, 06:04 PM
It has not always been so for women. They have had a long hard rough road to get where they are as far as the way they dress. In the 1870's, in Tucson, Arizona, the wife of a council member was arrested and jailed for wearing men's jeans and clothes. And this is not the first time in American history when women were persecuted.

The difference is: They fought it and continued to fight it as they sought equal rights and the vote. And by the 1920's, they were wearing their choice and doing it without as much persection. Yet, there was still some. This didn't change until about 2 decades later when women like Kathrin Hepburn and other movie stars began wearing the men's clothing and making it "fashionable." More and more women then followed suit and, if the men protested, the men were punished in various ways--such as the woman leaving and the man having to cook, clean and other chores on his own. So it was a struggle for them just as it is for us men today. And we will have to MORE OPENLY DRESS on more occasions to change things.

If we hide in the closet, it will never happen. Granted, there will be persecution. But such is humanity. Some will have to suffer so those who come after them can be free. This is the way things are and will remain. Amd YES, I am a 24/7 CDer.

(I'm a historian so I base what I've said on my studies and the books (20 of them) I've written.

Hope that answers your question.

That was so wonderfully said. Thank you! I had a similar discussion with someone recently regarding men CDing and she acted appalled when I told her that men in skirts, dresses, corsets, etc has gone on since the beginning of fashion. That its really only been since the colonizing of America, where the "cowboy" was invented and became the new "icon" for masculinity, that men dressed the closest to how they do today. One quick search on men's fashion throughout history on Google and you'll see tights, bloomer type pants and various other assorted clothing all to "plume the human peacock!"

And on that note... in almost all other species of animals on this planet, the males are usually the most colorful or beautiful!

:love:

Julie York
03-18-2008, 06:12 PM
And on that note... in almost all other species of animals on this planet, the males are usually the most colorful or beautiful!

:love:

Yeah...Guys are the sweet shop in nature.

And it's a buyers market.

(Hmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnn.........I'll have..........that one with the big feathers.)

Humans really messed up somewhere didn't they?

:D

Annie D
03-18-2008, 06:15 PM
When a female puts on jeans and a shirt and workboots, she is still a female and most observers have no difficulty identifying her gender. When a male puts on a dress, heels, makeup and a wig we seem to be trying to fool the same observers and make them identify us as a female.

Perhaps we should no longer try to fool the general public and let them know that are males wearing female clothing. How about not wearing a wig? After all, those females who wear men's clothing don't put on a fake mustache or beard. They aren't trying to fool anyone, just trying to be comfortable for whatever they are doing.

VeronicaH
03-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Not fair is it?

Veronica :battingeyelashes:

Deanna2
03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
It is society that is out of wack.

But society is always changing. I was saying to someone yesterday that in the 17th century men used to wear lace. Wouldn't it be nice if men could wear lace again?

Josephine 1941
03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi Vanessae, I am a jack of all trades, was a lic. electrican and am not afraid to try to fix anything. With that all said , I am working for this very good looking women who is getting a home ready to rent. If you saw us working on the roof and painting ,landscaping, and plumbing you would say there is a guy teaching his son how to do things. Well Lucy when dressed is a fox about 5' 2" great body pretty and we talk all the time about cross dressing. She can not see why I like to dress,again when I am not working. I have tried to point out to her that she looks like my kid when we work, but she said a women can dress any way she want. Then the discussion begins, I asked her if she would go out with me but she said no and I asked because I cross dress, yes she said. I then said well I don't think I go out with you after seeing you looking like a boy. Then the fun starts. This is a on going thing between us an I don't know were its going but a least she likes me and we have a diolog. I have to say I have a very beautiful girl friend that I live with she love the female side of me and we are both the same size in cloths an shoes. Do we have fun.

Josephine :daydreaming:

Mary Morgan
03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I remember a time when women were critisized for wearing pants, no make-up, etc. I also remember women toughing it out and suffering the criticism to be free to dress as they do. I remember a time when women were included in traditionally male jobs and
"required" to weear the same clothing or uniform as their male counterparts. There is no double standard. When we are willing to go public and suffer the criticism then we will have the same outcome. Women are not responsible for our dilemna, but they may well help us facilitate our solution. Let's praise them for their pioneering effort, not blame them for our situation.

NicoleScott
03-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Respectfully, Amy, not all of us are in the wrong body. Some of us simply dress occasionally and for pleasure. And some of us ARE in the wrong body. Either way, to bad for all of us that we're still considered weird, especially considering our numbers.

DemonicDaughter
03-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah...Guys are the sweet shop in nature.

And it's a buyers market.

(Hmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnn.........I'll have..........that one with the big feathers.)

Humans really messed up somewhere didn't they?

:D

Oh! And I'll take that one! Oh! And two of those! Oh and I HAVE to have that one!

What? Too greedy? Well, I am bisexual you know. We aren't confused... we're GREEDY! LOL!

darla_g
03-18-2008, 10:45 PM
yep its just not fair! my wife and daughter steal my tshirts and sweatshirts and there is very little i can do in return.

But hey life's not fair right.

Women's clothes have so much style and variety and we haven't even gotten to the lingerie yet!

Dalece
03-18-2008, 11:12 PM
My wife just boght a new pair of jeans. And thru out history men have been wearing a some type of dress. Roman togas, No disrespect here Scottish Kilts.And many other cultures wear a dress type clothing. There was a guy how made or invented a mans skirt several years back. And another how he took a pair of shorts and made that into a mans skirt. So why is it. I'd love to be able to wear a skirt to work in my uniform. Africa Tribes there the Men put on make up better than some woman i've seen. There are some of us there is scientific proof we are in the wrong bodies and have a internal make up of female things. It happened before we where born. It is like a wire or two got shorted out when we where in development. But like the rest of you girls it is our time to be what we are and I agree this forum helps that and all the events across this country. We should stand up for our selves world wide. Sorry ratteled on thats all i'm going to say:2c:

satin_luva
03-20-2008, 12:35 AM
When women first began dressing as men, when ever that was, they were probably condemned as well. But because they obviously proceeded with it, it became normal and seeing at women completely dressed as men became a subconcious thing

battybattybats
03-20-2008, 06:29 AM
A lot of women if they are too 'butch' will most definately face discrimination. The pants might not do it, but the haircut might!

And some women do contribute to the dilemma. I've seen mothers trying to get their sons to 'toughen up' to 'become a man' etc. I've seen girlfriends and wives object to feminine expression in their partners.

For that matter I've seen women who objected to womens rights! When the men of Australia was preparing to vote on allowing women to vote there were some women who objected! Thankfully the majority of men listened to the majority of women who wanted the vote and we became the 2nd country in the world to grant the vote to women.

But it does show that women can hold sexist views and that these can and do contribute to the problem!

For that matter I've even seen it happen in th gay community where 'straight-acting' gays have looked down on the 'camp' and effeminate gays.

Sexism may be wounded but it's far from dead. It needs to be put out of it's misery.

Oh and Joan of Arc was burned for crossdressing! Wearing pants cost her life!

Vicky_Scot
03-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Did you ever wonder why?

I think the major reason that woman can wear clothes associated with males is that "society" does not regard them as crossdressing. In fact that is what they are doing.

There are a number of contributing factors to why "society" does not accept men doing the same.

Parents

From an early age parents impliment the sterotype of what male should be.

Girls play with dolls, prams, cuddly things, pink coloured toys......boys do not.

Girls go to dancing classes............boys do not.

But here is where even in the early years things are seen differently

Boys play with guns and swords etc..........girls can too.

Boys go to football, rugby etc..........girls can too.

That is because, Oh she is such a tom boy.......so thats acceptable.

As touched upon parents tend to address male offspring showing any emotions as a weakness and try to toughen them up, be a man etc etc. In my humble opinion a real man is a male who can openely show his feeling without questioning his masculinity.

School

In the UK there was a survey done asking what the 3 top activities the children enjoyed doing at nursery schools.

1. Water Pit
2. Sand Pit
3 Dressing Up Box

It is a nutural thing for boys and girls to dress up. There has not been any evidence to show that this will lead to boys becoming Crossdressers in later years. I remember personally being told when my youngest boy was at nursery by a teacher that could she speak to me about something. she was concerned that my son spent most of the time dressing up.

Unbelievable.

Primary School then goes onto strengthen the sterotypes handed down from generation to generation.

And by the time they get to High school, hell mend any male that shows any feminine traits or partakes in any female related activities.

Peers

This can be the most damaging group when it comes to what they regard what being male is. All aspects of bullying will be undertaken on a male who shows any feminine traits or partakes in any female related activities.

You will be called a poof, weird, freak etc etc which can quickly lead to physical abuse. Even in extreme cases murder which unfortunately just happened not long ago.

Society

This word "society" always sticks in my throat. Who is this "society" that people speak off. These will be the same people who can do as they wish but have taken it upon themselves to condemn how other people in "society" live their lives.

We are all "society" are we not?

I think that any one, or group of people who question or do something that goes against what "society" see as the norm has to be labeled so that they feel better about themself. At least if it has a label we can ridicule, exclude, abuse, shun etc etc. Obviously there are certain things that can not be tolerated, I am not that deluded.

In my humble opinion when I hear "society" accepts the gay community, this and that community I am cynical because I do not believe accept is the word we should use, it should be "tolerates" unfortunately. Why if communities that are supposedly accepted have their own bars, clubs etc. I will leave you to answer that.

I would even go further when it comes to the TG community. I do not think we are even "tolerated" and IMO we will never ever be accepted by "society".

Tolerasion may well be the best we can aim for.....sadly.

The real question is (as long as it is not illegal) why can people not be who they are and be accepted for who they are without being judged at every turn.

Maybe if this was the case the world would be a better and more caring...but that is an arguement for another day and forum.

Well I better get of my soap box now.

Xx Vicky xX

Chari
03-20-2008, 08:51 AM
It is not only "society" that dictates what we wear, but also fashion designers and the present popular people! What would it be like if most males would refuse to wear rough baggy pants and chose to wear fitted skirts because a famous male movie star was wearing that? IMO, most fashions change to reflect the clothes of whom ever is popular at the time, whether male or female. Most people want to emulate those of power and position.

Enjoy life, Chari

Vicky_Scot
03-20-2008, 09:12 AM
It is not only "society" that dictates what we wear, but also fashion designers and the present popular people! What would it be like if most males would refuse to wear rough baggy pants and chose to wear fitted skirts because a famous male movie star was wearing that? IMO, most fashions change to reflect the clothes of whom ever is popular at the time, whether male or female. Most people want to emulate those of power and position.

Enjoy life, Chari

Sorry I respect your views but IMO fashion designers have produced skirts for men and it never took off.

Why because "society" frowned on it. Also "society" dictates that if you are famous or wealthy then you can wear what you like but this does extend to the everyday man in the street.

What would it be like if most males would refuse to wear rough baggy pants and chose to wear fitted skirts because a famous male movie star was wearing that?

Are you trying to make the point that if this was the case then we would loose the attraction of wearing a skirt.

Please enlighten me regarding your point.

Xx Vicky xX

Carly D.
03-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Is it taboo to crosssdress?? for me the answer is yes I guess.. there has to be a reason besides feeling that the whole world would have a good laugh at my expense.. I can handle being thought of as different from most people.. but the biggest or bigger fear is being rejected by family..although I have stated in other entries that I think some of them might know, I'm not sure and I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that I was wrong.. I don't act fem either when dressed up or in my male mode, in fact I try to keep an even keel about the way that I am.. crossdressing has always been about just wearing what I would like to wear, regardless of what side of the isle it comes from.. I would love to feel like I would be accepted no matter what I was wearing, and if comfort comes in heels, hose and a skirt then why not let me be?? why does clothing have to represent the person?? why not just put something on and wear it and so on... I'm at a loss trying to understand why women can wear whatever they feel like and men can't...