PDA

View Full Version : Transgendered Story - Local News

Jenn2716
03-19-2008, 03:05 PM
My mom told me about a human interest story about a man beginning his journey to become a woman that is being covered by our local news. I thought it was cool that my mom would phone me to tell me about it, cause I only came out to her last year.

While I didn't particularly relate to the Trans person in the story and I thought the story was geared too much towards shock value, it was nice to see a conservative, smaller city discuss the issue on their evening news cast.

Sonia Kiss
03-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Hello Jenna,

What a sweet little story. Nice to know people are thinking of you, nice to have family, nice to know that, one tiny step at a time, people are becoming more familiar with us.

Sonia :)

JoAnnDallas
03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
It there a web link to the story?

Jilmac
03-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for sharing that Jenna, I think it proves your mom's unconditional love for you. I't just too bad that the media tries to use shock value instead of human interest. I think the news media still wants to portray us as social outcasts. Luv and :hugs: Jill

Jenn2716
03-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks Ladies.

It was really nice of my mom to show her support by letting me know this story was going to be aired.

I watched all three parts and I think that the station did not do this person justice with their choices in editing.

This first part was ok, but didn't offer much information about Transgenderism. They showed the trans woman going about her work day in an accepting work environment, but really put it in the context of "This is what I like to wear, and my work is ok with it". It was putting a postive presentation of a "man in a dress", but didn't discuss the various types of transgendered people out there.

The second part was really going for shock value. Showing the subject going into a public swimming pool in a two piece bikini. Rationalizing that she feels that she had to make-up for her lack of natural femininity (body shape, face, mannerisms) by wearing ultra femme outfits and bright red nail polish. Also, when she tried to explain her situation as her mind being in an "imbalance" with her body, the editing made it look more like she was dealing with an "imbalance" (aka mental imbalance).

It was only by the third part that it was revealed that the person was doing the 24/7 dressing and the interview as well as part of documenting her RLT before starting hormones and beginning transition. The last part was less than 2 minutes.

I think its great that regular main stream media is putting this kind of story out there, especially in such a small city as my home town. I just wish they could have combined it into one piece, instead of spreading it out and confusing the general public. "She's a crossdresser, oh wait, no she's a fetish transvestite, oh wait again, she's a transsexual". It can be a little daunting for those of us well versed in trans verbage to figure out what the story was about, I can imagine what the general public went through.

The only thing my mom said was, "He seemed like a nice person, but why wouldn't he wear a wig if he was bald but wanted to become a woman?".

:)

Jenn2716
03-20-2008, 08:19 PM
It there a web link to the story?

HI JoAnn,
Sorry but the station doesn't have any weblinks. We're lucky they have a website at all.

shirley1
03-20-2008, 09:44 PM
i live in britain and just watched a ts story tonite about a soldier who went through transision - he was a decorated officer - it was really good and worth anyone on this forum watching - it has been in the papers over here dont know if its made the american tabloid - saying that goods the wrong word it was sad if anything to see what some of us have to go through to become the person we need to be - without friends or family supporting us - this is a lot more difficult a life for some of us than others depending on the support we have and where this life takes us