PDA

View Full Version : Article on Pregnant Trans Male / pregnant man

Valeria
03-21-2008, 05:19 PM
FWIW:

http://jezebel.com/370376/the-brave-new-world-of-gender-nonconformity-pregnant-men

Kieron Andrew
03-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks for this Kehleyr...now thats crossing the gender boundaries to the fullest, good on him!!

MsJanGG
03-21-2008, 05:24 PM
wow.. that was a pretty interesting article..... it is sad that they got that kind of treatment from the doctor.. :-(

metalguy639
03-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Its sad that some people still feel that its always their business on what someone does with themselves when its not really their business in the first place. And a doctor! Very bad! :(

MJ
03-22-2008, 08:18 AM
now thats true love . to come off " T " have a baby then go back on it .. the child will be truly blessed and loved wow thats wonderful

KrazyKat
03-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Kehleyr, this is a thought provoking article. My thoughts are, why are people so dang cruel to things that are different, why can't we just all love and get along!!:hugs:

Dang doctor's, probably jealous, they are!! You would think they would be happy for people to be finding a way to be happy, geez!!

Kieron Andrew
03-22-2008, 09:29 AM
now thats true love . to come off " T " have a baby then go back on it .. the child will be truly blessed and loved wow thats wonderful

That was my absolute first thought, that it was such a noble selfless thing for the guy to do, to come off T and put his transition on hold to help give his partner the child she craves but can't have

Valeria
03-22-2008, 09:45 AM
It is amazingly selfless. I know butch women that can't even bear to bare a child - sometimes, butch/femme couples turn to adoption if the femme partner can't conceive. I can't imagine a trans male making this sacrifice.

I wasn't even able to directly perform the relatively quick and easy male role in conceiving a child (that's what "turkey basters" are for :p ).

CaptLex
03-22-2008, 09:59 AM
It is amazingly selfless.
Yup, I agree. I know I couldn't do it. It was different when I had denied my true self and tried to live the life everyone expected me to live - not that that's the reason I did have a child, I really wanted one. But it's another thing at this stage - I know I couldn't interrupt my transition now and give up the injections that keep me sane to face the roller coaster ride that female and especially pregnancy hormones do to me. :doh:

And this is yet another example of how even educated and professional people are not necessarily well-informed about us and bring their own biases to their work. :rolleyes:

Valeria
03-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I've known trans women that have tried to interrupt hormones long enough to be able to bank sperm, and not all of them have succeeded - it's really hard to give up hormones that long (it can potentially take 6 months, or more, for a trans woman to become fertile again).

I delayed starting HRT for enough months to allow me to store sperm cryogenically, but even when I was pre-HRT we had to use mechanical assistance (as alluded to above) to try to conceive. We actually did conceive once that way, but we miscarried. We did eventually successfully have a child, but we had to use a fertility clinic performing IUI on my partner to conceive. Of course, I was post-op by the time we conceived, so I no longer had much of an option about playing a more active role.

Anyway, I know y'all aren't interested in so much detail about me. I just wanted to underscore how amazing a gesture it seems to me.

I just hope that they are successful. Can you imagine going through this, and then encountering some problem like preeclampsia and losing the baby? As it is, we cried for weeks when we had a miscarriage.

ZenFrost
03-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I can't believe what his own brother said about him. :ap: And the doctor too...

He's incredibly brave to go through this.

Abraxas
03-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah, that's really amazing of him.
I would love to have kids, but I really don't think I could go through with pregnancy, especially if I'd been on T first. It would mess with my head so much.

I hope all goes well and that they found a good doctor so they can have good prenatal care.

Cai
03-22-2008, 09:57 PM
That's amazing. I know there's no way I could do that, ever. I'd have to sit down and figure out whether being pregnant and bearing a child would cause me more psychological harm than an abortion (if I were raped or got pregnant accidentally somehow) - it'd be close.

Some doctors...:thumbsdn: I'll make a promise right now: I will never act like that to anyone. And if I do, you have my permission to come find me and make me see sense.

Syr_SwitchyGQ
03-22-2008, 11:37 PM
That's amazing. I know there's no way I could do that, ever. I'd have to sit down and figure out whether being pregnant and bearing a child would cause me more psychological harm than an abortion (if I were raped or got pregnant accidentally somehow) - it'd be close.

:yt: My thoughts exactly... one of the biggest fears I have is of being pregnant, even as far back as ten years old. I'm hoping to get a hysterectomy soon, because I just can't even begin to think about how horrible that choice would be (among other things). :thumbsdn:

As to the doctors... :Angry3: not much else to say about that, except that it's just one more example of how people don't understand and are unwilling to help transpeople. :straightface:

Billie Renee
03-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I think that doctor and hospital ought to be sued they should not turn a person away because he is trans and pregnant,Taht is just unethical. I hope they have a beautiful child because I know in my heart that there is a lot of love for this child and the child will be taken very good care of .:hugs:

kerrianna
03-24-2008, 01:20 AM
I read an encapsulated 'mainstream' media account of that Advocate interview that Thomas did, and that in itself reminded me of how ignorant and prejuidiced society is to us. They actually used the term, "he decided he was a transgendered male" and primarily sensationalized the whole "Man is pregant!" concept of it. :Angry3::thumbsdn:

Thomas is indeed very courageous, for not only agreeing to alter his own path to have the child (which makes him a great father already! :love:) but also for agreeing to be visible. You KNOW he's going to get a lot of finger pointing and negative attention for this.

I hope this pregnancy goes well for both of them and that people allow them and their child to live private, supported lives.

:thumbsup:

Sandi jo
03-24-2008, 06:20 AM
I wish them all the luck in the world.Hope to hear more about this and how they are doing

Fire Falcon
03-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Now only is it selfless, but incredibly brave.

I hope the whole family stays safe... You all know how people can get about these sort of things.

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. :/ People are always going "Lol! Let a man see what it's like to be pregnant!" ... then when one is, they freak out. Hypocrites.

Drake
04-01-2008, 08:33 AM
The guy's gonna be on Opera now. I saw a preview for it.

ftm22
04-02-2008, 03:39 PM
any idea when he's gonna be on Opera? I dont really watch the show but that sounds like an episode i'd like to see

Cai
04-02-2008, 03:57 PM
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200804/tows_past_20080403.jhtml?promocode=HP51

Thursday, apparently.

Fire Falcon
04-02-2008, 04:00 PM
any idea when he's gonna be on Opera? I dont really watch the show but that sounds like an episode i'd like to see

Tomorrow (Thursday) I believe.

Drake
04-03-2008, 07:03 AM
*sigh* My family was making all these really disgusted remarks when they saw the previews. As much as I'd like to see it, I don't think I can with my parents being around and everything. It would just hurt too much.

EDIT: Awesome, I can just read about it.

dancinginthedark
04-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I read the article and saw several news stories about the pregnancy. I was touched by this young man's courage. Not only in putting his own transition on hold but in coming out in the public eye with the pregnancy despite the knowledge that this old world can be a rather cold and cruel place. Couple that with the depth of love he has for his wife and little girl and I think we can lay to rest the old song and dance that if a man had to carry a child....

But the media's treatment of the story leaves a lot to be desired. I wish them the best and a happy safe future.

Cai
04-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I really wish he hadn't gone to the media with his story, honestly. I'm not sure why he felt the need to do that. Once the media has found you, they don't let go - and a baby doesn't need media attention.

CaptLex
04-03-2008, 10:44 AM
I really wish he hadn't gone to the media with his story, honestly. I'm not sure why he felt the need to do that. Once the media has found you, they don't let go - and a baby doesn't need media attention.
I wouldn't want to be the first guy out there with a story like this, but I do think people need to see it, get used to and hopefully, eventually . . . get over it. I hope to see the day that it won't be news anymore 'cause people would say, "Oh another one, okay, what's for dinner?"

I remember when the first in-vitro baby was new and controversial (before your time ;)). Now nobody blinks and eye when it's mentioned. There always has to be a first of anything if we're to progress as people:

the first woman in space
the first African-American baseball player
the first married homosexual couple (really married, not civilly united)

The first of anything is going to make waves, bring people out of their comfort zones and get attacked. It's not easy being a pioneer (I wouldn't want to sign up for it), but it's important IMO.

Personally, I give him even more credit for being open about it and subjecting himself to the firestorm than even for having the baby. :)

Cai
04-03-2008, 10:51 AM
That's a good point.

And it does look better that he went to the media instead of waiting for them to find him.

I guess I'm more annoyed at the media backlash than I am at him.

Tamara Croft
04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I was in the hairdressers last week and my stylist asked me if I'd heard about it. Obviously I had lol... and I said, yes and answered a few of her questions. I didn't tell her I'd read it in here, because the place was pretty full and I didn't want to be stared at tbh.. (you know how it goes) but I did tell her I thought what he had done was pretty amazing... she was a bit dumbfounded how he got pregnant lol... :doh:

Kieron Andrew
04-03-2008, 10:56 AM
she was a bit dumbfounded how he got pregnant lol... :doh:

LOL did you tell her the birds and the bees :D

Tamara Croft
04-03-2008, 11:12 AM
LOL did you tell her the birds and the bees :DLOL... no, just told her the different ways a woman can conceive lol... then it kinda went all quiet... prolly wondering how I knew so much...

Flameboy
04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
The thing is, he's not the first transguy to carry a child, or even then first one to write an article about it (http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0025,califia-rice,15833,1.html). I doubt he expected this much fuss to be made about it - he probably expected a bit of interest from the LGBT community, and no more - pretty much what happened previously.

I've no idea why the media ignored that one, but has seized this one as if there's no other news around, especially since one of the guys in the previous article is a well-known BDSM activist - which would surely have added another angle to the story as well.

Dave

KrazyKat
04-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Anyone catch the Oprah show today? I'm going to watch the midnight repeat. It's going to be the sterilized version, I imagine!!

I think trans is the new "in" thing in the media now. Look how fast Oprah booked this guy on the show!!

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
04-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Oh my god.. that is so beautiful..
I would do that if my partner somewhere down the line wanted a baby. :o

Valeria
04-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I was in lab today, and one of my classmates had heard about this story.

Now, we just had a lecture on human sexuality issues, including being sensitive to diversity, 3 days earlier. The lecture covered gender issues, and specifically addressed crossdressing, transgendered, and transsexuality. Surprisingly good lecture, too - the prof presented gender and sexual identity as multidimensional, distinguishing (for instance) gender identity from gender presentation as being seperate dimensions. She even told an interesting story about a culture where post-menopausal women were perceived as a third gender, obtaining some of the formerly denied privileges of men.

Anyway, the point is that the student talking about this is someone that has doubtless had the general topic of transsexuality brought up in classes several times (she's taken at least three classes where it would have been discussed, always with an emphasis towards awareness and sensitivity) to get this far in our program.

She still was consistently referring to the pregnant guy as "she/her". :Angry3:

After she did it a few times, I corrected her by interrupting her story by blurting out "he!" after she said "she". She gave me a dirty look, but at least she started getting the pronouns right some of the time after that. But the point is that even people who are supposed to be culturally sensitive and aware have this perception problem towards us.

This is not a very interesting or enlightening story - sadly, it's really a pretty mundane event. But it annoyed me, so I thought I'd vent a bit by sharing it with y'all.

(This is part of why I'm not out as trans, btw - if people like this are really seeing him as a "her", then I don't have much doubt as to how they'd see me if they knew about my past.)

beth ann
04-04-2008, 01:36 AM
He and his wife were on the show today 4/3/08. beth ann

Sandra
04-04-2008, 03:29 AM
All credit to him I think it's a true show of love to have done this.

Not gonna say what my colleague at work said about it, tring to explain things to her was like :wall: she really is ignorant :Angry3:

CaptLex
04-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Not gonna say what my colleague at work said about it, tring to explain things to her was like :wall: she really is ignorant :Angry3:
I can just imagine, Sandra. I've been trying to explain it to people who have e-mailed me after hearing about it - it's like talking to 2-year-olds. :doh:

I thought the show was basically well done, and I thought Oprah handled this sensitive topic well - good questions.

Drake
04-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Yay!
I got to see the show afterall! Went to my grandparents because my dad had a doctor's appointment and I watched it downstairs.
I'm glad Oprah's so open minded and that's she's trying to spread acceptance. I was also surprised at how confident Thomas (the pregnant man) was. He didn't feel at all that the pregnacy made him any less of a man. It was a really great show.

CaptLex
04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
He didn't feel at all that the pregnacy made him any less of a man.
Yup . . . I liked when he said he wasn't suddenly getting the urge to shave his legs or anythiing. :heehee:

Felix
04-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I can see all sides of this without going into the technicalities but wow I think he is amazing and if handled correctly the little girl will be loved and cared for and will only know mummy and daddy. Later they may wish to tell her when the time is right but hey as long as they protect her good luck to them all. I admire them both xx Felix another of life's contradiction in terms lol!!!! :hugs::hugs:

JoAnnDallas
04-04-2008, 09:38 AM
The Pregnant Man was on Opria yesterday and she conducted a really good interview. Very positive IMHO.

KrazyKat
04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Yes, I did catch it last night. It was very good, because Oprah devoted the entire show to this couple. Usually she has others come on and is rushing through it all and editing it to look and sound a certain way. They seemed to do less "shocked" audience shots then usual.:heehee:
I liked that she interviewed the doctor, and Thomas' wife's daughters and they all were calm and not that upset. It was a good thing for the whole community.
They did mention something about half of the people in some GBLT community advised them not to come out on the show, did anyone catch that?
We should all go to the Oprah network and comment positively on the show, would go a long ways, don't you think?:thumbsup:

CaptLex
04-04-2008, 02:40 PM
They did mention something about half of the people in some GBLT community advised them not to come out on the show, did anyone catch that?
Yeah, I was disappointed to hear that.

We should all go to the Oprah network and comment positively on the show, would go a long ways, don't you think?:thumbsup:
I took your advice and did just that, but I'm devastated by the overwhelmingly negative response the show got on her message boards. I couldn't read all the responses as it goes on forever, but the only other positive response I saw in the few pages I checked was from another transman (figures :doh:). What a truly backwards country we live in! :eek:

It would be great if our whole community got on there and gave 'em our point of view . . . the bigots! :Angry3:

Valeria
04-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I took your advice and did just that, but I'm devastated by the overwhelmingly negative response the show got on her message boards. I couldn't read all the responses as it goes on forever, but the only other positive response I saw in the few pages I checked was from another transman (figures :doh:). What a truly backwards country we live in! :eek:
There is a thread about this in another forum (one specific to younger transitioners - mostly women). People there were shocked and dismayed at the horribly negative reaction to this episode on the Oprah message board. One of the women went back and looked at the comments about her trans teen show, and she found that some of the people who posted extremely negative comments about this issue were supportive and open-minded sounding before.

So their speculation is that the reaction is fueled not so much by outright transphobia, but rather by middle-aged moms being upset and threatened by a sacred rite of womanhood being impinged upon by someone male-identified. That's someone else's idea (paraphrased), but it sounds plausible.

Which is obviously still a problem - I just think it's useful to try to understand why people are reacting so negatively in this particular case.

CaptLex
04-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I just think it's useful to try to understand why people are reacting so negatively in this particular case.
I know people who don't get it will have a less-than-ideal response, but I'll never understand why people don't shut their mouths, listen and learn before they spew hateful, ignorant remarks. And no amount of reasoning will help me see that.

Sorry, hun, I'm just not in the mood to tolerate bigotry today. Maybe tomorrow. :ap:

Valeria
04-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Sorry, hun, I'm just not in the mood to tolerate bigotry today.
Hey, I'm not excusing, just analyzing. :)

Tamara Croft
04-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I know people who don't get it will have a less-than-ideal response, but I'll never understand why people don't shut their mouths, listen and learn before they spew hateful, ignorant remarks. And no amount of reasoning will help me see that.

Sorry, hun, I'm just not in the mood to tolerate bigotry today. Maybe tomorrow. :ap::Pfft: tell me about it... I've just seen something about this guy on an IRC network, I won't say what was said, let's just say I'm so NOT impressed and told them so... and completely outed myself as running this forum... but I care not, I am so fkin mad :Angry3:

Kieron Andrew
04-04-2008, 04:01 PM
and completely outed myself as running this forum... but I care not, I am so fkin mad :Angry3:

Good for you! we need people who are not trans shouting loud and proud in our corner!

Tamara Croft
04-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Good for you! we need people who are not trans shouting loud and proud in our corner!Well see now I feel like an idiot... because what was said was about the show title... fkin oprah... trust her to do the 'wrong' thing :rolleyes: but even so, yes, I've told 3 people I run (ok help run) a TG forum... and it felt so vigarating... *shouts*

Stephanie Anne
04-04-2008, 08:14 PM
On one hand I am happy this is giving transmen exposure but on the other I am saddened by the media oddity he has become. Anyone else this would and should be a non issue. I can only hope something postive comes from this.

The very fact he is scared for his child's life makes me cringe at this world.

I also hate the article I saw that plastered his old photos. Who cares that he was born a woman and was a "beauty queen" Makes me think they are saying "ah shucks, she was so pretty, why she got to waste it and be a man"

CaptLex
04-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Well see now I feel like an idiot... because what was said was about the show title... fkin oprah... trust her to do the 'wrong' thing :rolleyes: but even so, yes, I've told 3 people I run (ok help run) a TG forum... and it felt so vigarating... *shouts*
Thanks, Tamara :love: . . . if people don't stand up and shout, the haters will keep steamrolling over us.

It's been such a headache dealing with this stuff today. I didn't expect everyone to get it, but after what I felt was a fair and well-explained presentation on that show, I thought there would be more supporters or at least people willing to ask the right questions and listen before passing judgment. Either I was dead wrong, or the people who do get it are afraid to speak up. Either way, it does us no good. :straightface:

Tristan
04-04-2008, 09:52 PM
This came up at my workplace too and I think I almost outed myself or at least almost went off... I had to just walk away... sighs the sad thing is it was the two coworkers I had hope to tell once I'm officially done with this job. :doh:

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
04-05-2008, 01:15 AM
the entire show is on youtube now.. i watched the whole thing just now.. and I am so angry at the comments people made in response to these clips.

I don't know what else to say right now.

CaptLex
04-05-2008, 10:23 AM
the entire show is on youtube now.. i watched the whole thing just now.. and I am so angry at the comments people made in response to these clips.
Thanks for the warning, I'll stay away from there then. I'm still sorry I ever read the responses on Oprah's site.

This came up at my workplace too and I think I almost outed myself or at least almost went off... I had to just walk away... sighs the sad thing is it was the two coworkers I had hope to tell once I'm officially done with this job. :doh:
This made me think a bit, Tristan. Some of my co-workers were talking about it yesterday too and asked me some questions about it. They were all sympathetic to the couple and seemed understanding and accepting. But I wonder if they didn't know me or if I hadn't come out to them yet, if they would have had the same kinds of comments. :idontknow:

One of them even joked with me asking if I would consider doing that (interrupting my transition to have a baby). I just said, "been there, done that" and they all laughed. ;)

Some people will side with the masses if they don't know any different, but sometimes once they know someone personally (someone they like, especially), their whole attitude can change. You never know. :)

KrazyKat
04-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Wow, Lex, you aren't joking, I've been thru 32 pages of scanning(can't sleep) and what a bunch of idiots. It seems like some are just pounding on the same "bone", how dare Oprah, money grubbing and lying to the public about a man having a baby, because it's a woman who has taken hormones and mutilated herself, but she's still a genetic woman. They don't have a clue, do they!!

So many are saying, the poor innocent child, how selfish to bring them up in such a family.:eek: The child would not have any problems if people weren't so prejudice and taught their own children to hate. Wow, I can't believe so much hate and poison. Yes, I posted, I'm krazykat64, posted April 6 about 1am(page 130).
Lex, do you know what page you posted on and what username, I looked to page 52, couldn't find you!! Dang, some real "Nutties" on there!! Towards the end I read a lot more positive posts, I think they just took awhile!!
I sure do hope that Thomas doesn't go on there and read any of this stuff, how awful to be told by so many you are a woman, when you are a man. They don't understand, and don't wanna!!:Angry3:I think I understand a whole lot more what you guys go through now, it's opened my eyes!!:hugs:

CaptLex
04-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Lex, do you know what page you posted on and what username, I looked to page 52, couldn't find you!!
I'll PM you. :)

Dang, some real "Nutties" on there!! Towards the end I read a lot more positive posts, I think they just took awhile!!
I'm glad there were some, but I'm sure the ratio of bad responses to good ones is still overwhelming. Oh well . . . :p

Tamara Croft
04-07-2008, 03:06 AM
I finally got a copy of the show and first impressions of it... Oprah is a cow... the way she has done this is so bad... I haven't finished watching it yet, because it is so sad :( I really think he should have stayed off the TV, because so many are making him into a laughing stock.... shameful, so very shameful :( Everywhere he goes now, people will be pointing and laughing, the very thought of it tears me up inside... fkin TV shows... :Angry3:

MY GOD!!! those :censor: comments... :OMG: I can't keep my mouth shut, I've posted on one of them... grrrrr..... I think I'm going to go offline, before I get really bloody mad :(

waspookie6
04-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I'll be the first one to say - I've never thought much of Oprah the "I'mma victim and will bring it up any chance while laughing to the bank" so I just don't watch her show or care what she's done.

That whole thing she started in some village somewhere was shut down (duh) because she's money stupid - not human smart.
For all those that tuned into the show "because I just can't miss an episode!" need to find a real life to live instead of living vicariously through others they wished they could be.
Poor sods. They can be anyone they want but she makes sure they don't gain enough respect for themselves to take that step.

It is understandable why the GTLB community advocated for this not to be part of the last quarter weeks of arbitron ratings. They knew this is not the time to advocate and protect a child at the same time.
Bitter jagged pill to swallow yet has more than a grain of truth to it. All we can do now is to continue to protect the lives of everyone we know from hate.

kerrianna
04-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Let's face it... anyone who goes up against the last taboos of our society as a pioneer is going to be a sacrificial lamb. It's the way the lowest common demoninator always works, and these days with the media only concerned with ratings and corporate profits and propaganda it's no surprise to see how this story is being spun and how many lowlifes feel free to show their utter stupidity and crassness to all of us, esp hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

The best we can do is show support and keep trying to use these opportunities to educate people, but we shouldn't be surprised at the meaness and hatred of others. Dismayed, yes.

I wish people would shut their yaps for awhile and learn and listen, but everything in the commercial world tells them to do just the opposite. "Don't know nothin'? That's okay! Just yell louder and you'll be right. Beat the others down, they're all losers."

And in between all these howling monkeys, we need to build the real society, which is exactly what we are doing. You just want to slap them and tell them to shut up sometimes so we can get on with the work that is needed to evolve the human race into it's potential.

tommi
04-08-2008, 01:30 PM
It's a shame I think the fact that he can have a child of his own is very special.
He will be a better parent then most hopefully they don't continue to steam roll him.

Karen C
04-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Did any one see Oprah about the woman who had sex reasignment and is now liveing life as a man and is pregnant . It was on yeasterday 4/9/08 I think its grate thay said the baby is healthy and so is he . but I was looking at Opras blogs on the websight and they were scary there was so much hate in the world . It almost makes me want to crawl in a whole .

Ibuki_Warpetal
04-10-2008, 11:16 PM
I find the headlines of "Pregnant Man" to be misleading, but whatever.

Can you link us to these Oprah blogs? I don't care for Oprah but you've piqued my interest here. I don't see as much hate as I see people who approve or just don't care. I for one think this pregnancy may benefit science, but certainly is not headline material.

ZenFrost
04-10-2008, 11:28 PM
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79315

Also, something was posted about him here:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80320

victoriamwilliams1
04-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Um, I did not like the headline "Pregnant Man" myself it is misleading and thats why people reacted so negatively towards the program! I know that every male I am around was extremely offended by the headline. I saw about 1 minute of th show as I was getting ready to go out in female mode, from what I seen it was OK however I was on a mission to get out.

I am quite sure Oprah was very positive with the subject matter as it was presented.

ZenFrost
04-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Personally I don't really find the title to be misleading at all. He's a man. He's pregnant. "Pregnant Man" fits the bill exactly to me.

He's also not the first, but the media seems to be really obsessed with him, and not in a particularly good way which is really unfortunate.

Ibuki_Warpetal
04-11-2008, 01:05 AM
I find it misleading because I expected to find some amazing scientific breakthrough with a biological male with male anatomy and um, male pregnancy.

By whatever definition, even if you consider this transgender a "man", this is not a male pregnancy. This is a female pregnancy.

vivianann
04-11-2008, 02:56 AM
I find it misleading because I expected to find some amazing scientific breakthrough with a biological male with male anatomy and um, male pregnancy.

By whatever definition, even if you consider this transgender a "man", this is not a male pregnancy. This is a female pregnancy.

You are right Ibuki, this is a genetic female who has transitioned to male, the whole story is misleading.

Sharon
04-11-2008, 03:48 AM
He is a man. He is also pregnant. And a uterus is not the ultimate test of gender. If it is, then there are an awful lot of those who society accepts as female who would fail to meet this criteria. And he and his wife have made thousands (at least) a little bit more aware of the transgendered world, though it is a story that is not very common.

I commend the couple for their bravery in making this story public and even though I am sure they tried to prepare themselves for negative reactions, I would highly doubt they could have foreseen such an onslaught of pure hatred, bigotry, and evil.

And I also can't envision two people who would love their child more than I believe these two will -- just think of all the emotional issues they themselves had to deal with before reaching the decision to bring this life into this world. If only others allow the three of them to live in peace.

Katrina
04-11-2008, 05:13 AM
I didn't find the title misleading either. I personally had a problem with each of the stories I have read about it putting the word 'man' in quotes. He is a man. He just happens to have female reproductive organs and is using them for reproduction. I would be offended if I was in a story, had transitioned (or at least was living full time) and they used quotes around the word 'woman' referring to me. What I personally find amazing is that even after taking all that "T", he is still able to cook up a baby!

GypsyKaren
04-11-2008, 06:33 AM
What amazes me is how a story of two people who love each other and want to have their own child to love can set off a firestorm of hate, scorn, and ridicule, while a story of 600 abused children, including over 100 young teenage girls who were kept as sex and breeding slaves for 50 year old men, are taken out of a church in Texas and it's page 11 news around here...nice set of priorities.

Karen Starlene :star:

battybattybats
04-11-2008, 07:12 AM
The subject challenges peoples sex and gender biases, it challenges the binary model of sex and gender.

It's not the first time this has happened but for most people it's the first they've heard of it.
It challenges the assumptions of what a man is, what a woman is, what pregnancy is and what a sex-change is too.

It highlights the grey areas they had not seen before.

tracigirl_tv
04-11-2008, 08:00 AM
..... he is still able to cook up a baby!

Ok Katrina, just when I was thinking I was going to get through this lifetime without hearing that particular phrase *lol*

Love it!

Ibuki_Warpetal
04-11-2008, 01:33 PM
And a uterus is not the ultimate test of gender.
Maybe not, but it does predisposition a person towards gender specific abilities, such as pregnancy. It would be like me being on the news "Woman Impregnates Women: A women with a functioning penis had sex with another woman the other day and..."
Do you see how that is not worthy of headline news? And people would be arguing that I'm a woman because it's the gender I identify with. That's fine, but I don't think that is a good reason to set aside my natural, gender-specific, biological abilities.

What amazes me is how a story of two people who love each other and want to have their own child to love can set off a firestorm of hate, scorn, and ridicule, while a story of 600 abused children, including over 100 young teenage girls who were kept as sex and breeding slaves for 50 year old men, are taken out of a church in Texas and it's page 11 news around here...nice set of priorities.

Karen Starlene :star:

Kind of like how the thousands of people dying in Iraq are a debate statistic, but when a soldier throws a puppy from a cliff, moral outrage ensues.

Kieron Andrew
05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
and just over 6 weeks to go...

update on Thomas Beatie
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/05/20/the-world-s-first-pregnant-man-eight-months-gone-cutting-the-lawn-89520-20423249/

not the best article..well it is tabloid, what do you expect lol

ZenFrost
05-20-2008, 01:51 PM
And it provides misinformation in the very first sentence. :rolleyes:

world's first pregnant man

He's actually not the first Transman to get pregnant, there have been a couple others who paused T to have a baby and the resumed it afterwards, they really should do their research first.

John
05-20-2008, 02:01 PM
I think I read somewhere that he's the first to do so after being declaired legaly male (though it could be wrong).

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
You know, we were talking about this in support group on friday night.. and a lady who comes to group (who is a trans journalist, and also studies trans issues.. and knows a great deal on the subject) mentioned that there have been a few documented cases of FTM's getting pregnant or having babies.. but most of those cases were back in the 80's and 90's. I have, however, seen a few pictures floating around the internet of pregnant FTM's.. so.. it isn't completely unheard of. Thomas is not the first.

What REALLY urks me about the tabloids and Oprah and everything is that they are misleading the public.
For starters, the line "The world's first pregnant man", is not only inaccurate, but it also leads people to believe, right from the get-go, that this "pregnant man" is an actual genetic male.
I don't think the world was really ready to hear about this, not having known much, or even anything at all in some cases -- about transsexuality.. about FTM's..
I mean, I fully understand why Thomas told his story. He wanted people to hear it from him first.. and that's cool.. but the extent the media has taken this to, is just ridiculous.
Most people don't know what transsexuality is, or they don't understand it at all.. and suddenly, this is being thrown out there for them to digest?
I don't think the world was ready for this. We have not come far enough yet.
I feel so bad for Thomas and Nancy.. so many nasty things have been said about Thomas.. people are saying he's not a real transman if he's actually willing to carry a child.. people are saying that he's a disgusting abomination.. people are saying that he doesn't deserve to be called a "HE".. that he isn't really a man, etc.. there have been millions of comments.. on message boards.. including oprah's.. and in reply to all the articles about him, and all the videos.

I didn't bother reading the rest of the thread here, because my computer is really slow.. so I don't know if I'm alone in my opinion.. or if several of you have already said similar things to what I just said here.. but yeah.

Taylor105
06-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't have much to add to the convo about Thomas other than there was a really nice article about him and his wife in People magazine.

I wanted to talk about my friend. I met someone online. She is transitioning from a male to a female. My roomie and I went out and met she and her wife for dinner one night. Her wife was 8 and a half months pregnant. When they first married 14 years before she was living as a man and had not told her wife of her feelings that she was really a woman. Over time though it came out. First with crossdressing and then it progressed. What a beautiful private couple they are. But she decided that for her wife she would go off her hormones so that they could have a baby. She used her "equipment" not a turkey baster. lol Her wife got pregnant and she went back on her hormones. She passes 100%. I was so shocked when I met them in person. Her wife was very pregnant and we talked about how at first she was not okay at all with the transitioning of her husband into a wife. But the love was so much stronger. They started going every year to the Southern Comfort conferences and there are groups there for significant others and that helped a lot too. So basically at the time that I met them she was back on her hormones and her wife was VERY pregnant. You would think nothing of it meeting these people in person. Just two pretty ladies. One really pregnant. Two weeks later my accident happened. After the coma I was on dialysis for several more weeks. One day as they were wheeling my bed back to my room I had company!! My two beautiful lady friends and their brand new baby boy, David. That baby is gorgeous!! And I got to hold him. And it was so great to see them. That baby is going to be loved. He has two beautiful, loving mommies. Anyway, I guess that's all I really had to say on the subject. :) Hugs, Taylor