PDA

View Full Version : How Many Have a Budget For Crossdressing?

TSchapes
03-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I went back through the threads and have not seen anything on this topic.

Since having a second wardrobe (one that is probably more expensive than your drab wardrobe) is not cheap by any means, do you set money aside for it? Do you have a budget? Do you make most of the money and therefore feel you can spend it any way you see fit? Have you put yourself in financial jeopardy because of your second self's buying sprees? Or, are you very meticulous about keeping track of all your spending?

This for me is a hot button issue because there is a lot of guilt about spending money on my other self and not on the family. My family is not destitute by any stretch of the imagination, but it still bothers me. How do you girls deal with this part of crossdressing? Or, am I going to get, "Now why would you bring this up? What a kill joy!"

As always, thinking too much, and hurting my brain. -Tracy

Joy Carter
03-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Personally, if I see something I like or need, I buy it, within reason. But then I don't spend any money on my guy self. So not so guilty. And the family is not in need. I'm worth it, am I not ? :D

SaraD
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I budget about $100-$200 a month on clothes, sometimes I even get an extra skirt, blouse or jeans instead of male clothes I may NEED. Anyone else do this. In male mode most of my clothes look tipical blue collar worker. In fem mode. Lovely, sexy and new clothes.

Sara

Ressie
03-21-2008, 07:40 PM
I can't see spending a lot on female clothing & accessories. I get urges to buy things, but even when more $ is available I'll get something off a sales rack. I don't go out dressed so haven't a need for a huge wardrobe.

sandra-leigh
03-21-2008, 07:59 PM
My wife and I do not share bank accounts, I own the house outright (no mortgage) and have no debt at all; and she has a noticeable independent income that she often spends on luxury items for herself without consulting me.

Thus I am basically in the situation where my personal spending now conflicts financially and morally only with my long-term savings for retirement or eventual household repairs (or, theoretically, against the possibility of moving to a city with a more expensive housing market), so I play my spending by ear, whatever "feels" expensive or not.

For example, if I "kinda liked" a dress but thought it likely that I would only wear it once, then I would be unlikely to be willing to spend $75 on it, but at $35 I would might go for it. On the other hand when I bought a lovely gown a month ago to wear to a crossdressing conference formal banquet, I didn't even ask the price before saying I would take it -- it looked fab and it fit well and I'd been looking for a "special dress" for months, so at that time I "needed" the gown more than I "needed" to be concerned about what impact the purchase would have on my retirement. (The gown turned out to be $100; and yes, it was a great success when I wore it.)

Angie G
03-21-2008, 08:09 PM
we are OK with the $$ we have I don't go for git ticket items and I get most of my things from thrift shops no budget just spend what we can and I'm happy. :hugs:
Angie

Lesley Ann
03-21-2008, 08:46 PM
No I do not keep to a budget. I suppose I am lucky, I own my home, and since my wife died, and our children are adults, during the past twelve months I have bought an entire wardrode. I have no regrets, I wear something diffrent every day, and it is wonderful. I know that this cannot go on, because finnance will not allow. but hey, you only live twice (I belive I will come back again, so the next time I will be wise to the true me) in the meantime enjoy! I say this, but, please girls do not consider this as advice.
Love and everything you wish yourself, Lesley Ann

Babette
03-21-2008, 09:49 PM
The budget is not the problem. Closet space is my problem. I hate to get rid of older items as my wardrobe evolves.

I am fortunate when it comes to personal finances. My wife and I share the same values when it comes to money management. I will always insist on spending money on her rather than me. She in turn does the same for me. Neither of us gets too crazy with impulsive purchases.

Have fun.

Babette

KateSpade83
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Money is no problem with my weekly paychecks. It's just that I don't have space in my APT. And after spending 1 year in Houston and spending all of my after tax income, yeah, I now gotta save my money for retirement and the $10,000 / year property tax on the Wicker Park home I'll inherit! Retirement in Social Security will not be enough!

docrobbysherry
03-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Money is not a problem for me. Anyway, I've spent next to nothing on my Goodwill ladies clothes collection. Which fills 2 rooms. I don't use makeup, hair products, or shaving accessories.

I allow myself to splurge on wigs, shoes/boots, and breast forms!

joann07
03-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Me, I really don't have a set budget that I spend on every month or anything.
I can pretty much afford to buy anything expensive, but I try not to spend more than $25 for any one item.
Although, my lone expensive thing I bought was a dress through Victoria's Secret and that was about $40 or $50.
I don't recall spending over $50 for a dress or outfit.

I earn enough and invest my $$$$$$ wisely to live a pretty good life, but I'm not really the type of person who would just buy something because it's expensive or that its the hottest thing out. That's just not me.
Most of the things I've bought were on sale or were bought at a thrift store.

Hugs!

Ermintrude
03-22-2008, 05:22 AM
I do keep to a (sort of) budget.

For the last 18 months I've been working towards reducing my debts. I have a target amount per month for this. Anything I can save over and above this amount then gets split 50-50 between my wardrobe and further reduction of debt.

It works quite well for me - it's a strong incentive to save. I'll have to think of some other approach when I finally get my debts down to zero, I'll worry about that when the time comes. :)

Sabrina Flowers
03-22-2008, 07:03 AM
I don't really have a budget for Sabrina, but I do tend to buy items in the sales or from charity shops. As I'm still in the closet and do not dress very often, it is more a case of justifying; spending a lot of money on something that is only going to be worn for a short time.

jessielee
03-22-2008, 07:17 AM
i'm afraid i wing it far too much, though as posted above,
too much spent on dressing means less spent elsewhere.
don't go crazy though on shopping sprees, would be a bit conspicuous here in the booneys.
jessie

Samantha43
03-22-2008, 07:22 AM
I don't have a huge collection of womens clothes. One dress, three business suits, several skirts and tops, two pairs of jeans, a few sweaters and seven pairs of shoes and boots. I can't really justify having a large wardrobe that I will only get to wear occasionally. I buy most of my clothes off of clearance racks. My wife does the household finances, so I can't really can't get anything past her. She is supportive of me, but I don't think she would understand me spending a large amount on womens clothing.

bEEb
03-22-2008, 07:56 AM
You think CDing is expensive? It's peanuts compared to buying latex rubber.

TSchapes
03-22-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't have a huge collection of clothes, some are quite old. The blouse you see in my avatar was bought in 1982. But, I do like to spend it on wigs and makeup, I think that's where I can get the most bang for the buck. I'm also a shoeaholic. I'll buy shoes then try and find an outfit that goes with it.

I generally use money that is earmarked for me to spend as I see fit. I will sell my own personal stuff on e-bay to help pay for this. I make a good salary, but I'm the only one earning and therefor have to watch it.

I'm now trying to plan better. I'd like to have: one typical day outfit, a nice top and jeans; an evening outfit, that's a bit more sexy; and one fantasy outfit, that I'm still trying to decide on. I'm still losing weight and so I am hesitant to spend big bucks on clothes right now.

And even with all this, every time I go to the pharmacy (apothecary), and buy makeup on a BOGO, I still feel guilty. I guess I still have what I call CD-remorse.

victoriamwilliams1
03-22-2008, 08:59 AM
If its a good sale I will buy, most of the time I buy clothes and shoes about 2 to 3 times a year and Spend a total of about $400. Makeup and hose as needed and thats about $150 per year.

tamarav
03-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't budget, but I am limited by closet space just as others have pointed out. Since I dress daily, I try not to wear the same outfit in a few days and really have to rotate clothing. Therefore I tend to buy a few more tops and such to round out the wardrobe.

My wife and I have an agreement. When we bring home one item, we give 2 to the thrift shop. Makes you think twice about buying sprees.

Tami

Jocelyn Quivers
03-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I try to maintain a weekly budget, often unsuccessfully. As of now I live comfortably so there is no concern, other than thinking of all of the guy toys such as video games, stereo systems, etc. That I have given in order to buy clothes, laser hair removal, cosmetics, wigs, etc for my femme side.

TracyH
03-22-2008, 02:31 PM
I don't have a budget for clothing itself, my clothes come out of my "entertainment" money; the stuff I use for movies, video games, etc. So sometimes I have more money for clothes than at others.

Kimmie
03-22-2008, 03:37 PM
http://www.luxist.com/2006/10/14/victorias-secret-fantasy-bra-for-2006/

Anybody willing to admit that this is within theirs?

docrobbysherry
03-22-2008, 04:26 PM
http://www.luxist.com/2006/10/14/victorias-secret-fantasy-bra-for-2006/
Anybody willing to admit that this is within theirs?

It didn't hang or fit very well, and felt VERY cold to the touch! lol

renee k
03-22-2008, 05:00 PM
As alot of the other girls have mentioned, closet space is problem. I do have a monthly budget for Renee. But I do have thin out the closet, to keep space within limits. And as many others, here are I'm a shoe-a-holic! Even though I give alot to the Salvation Army. Shoes occupy the most space in my walk in closet. And like Tracy shoes come first then an outfit to match. All that being said. My budget is about three to six hundred a month. And I do shop Ebay and sales, to try and get as much bang for the buck.

Huggs, Renee

Jilmac
03-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Tracy, I have been dressing for 47+ years and the money I have spent on clothes (including numerous purges) would have bought me at least two pickup trucks with all the bells and whistles. I always made sure my family was provided for first and foremost but I started putting away a few bucks here and there (always in cash in a secure hiding place so there wouldn't be a paper trail). With this slush fund I was able to buy clothes and lingerie and not have to feel guilty about taking the money away from family expenses. I have always been a bargain shopper too so I would try to stretch a buck as far as I could. I'm retired now and living on Social Security and my slush find really comes in handy when I see that must have dress, skirt, or top. Luv and:hugs: Jill

Eugenie
03-22-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't have a budget for crossdressing... I try to be reasonable... But not to the point of cou,ting down all my expenses on that matter...

I konw, this is bad... :heehee:

But so far I have managed to spend just enough to enjoy my x-dressing. I pay a lot of attention to wait for special sales...

Of course, since my wife knows that I crossdress, I don't need to hide my spending on women closes... She sometimes makes comments about my spending too much for my women stuff, but not too severely...

:hugs:
Eugenie

Sarah V
03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
No I don't budget, but I probalby sould.

I am fairly frugal with day to day living expenses and luckily I have a good income. However, I have other hobbies that I enjoy but they are not cheap. For years now at tax time, just for kicks, I have added up all the receipts for the past year that I have spent on Sarah and her activities. On average, it has come out to @ $2-3K yr.

Badwolf
03-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I have a budget that would probably allow me to spend about 300 a month but I don't tend to spend it that regularly. I dont have time to really enjoy every piece of it regularly and even have to stop dressing for the most part for a month or two at a time. So instead I end up saving about 1-2 thousand and go on a shopping spree.

Currently I am in some debt but when you see some of the shoes and boots I have you wouldnt care either ^^. I even am getting some gogo boots that should be here next week!

Staci
03-23-2008, 06:05 PM
I do try to budget. A couple years ago I would buy just about anything cute or that I thought would be fun to wear that I could find. Spent a fair amount on those cute things. Now I try to limit myself to a new item every few months. It has worked pretty well.

jessielee
03-23-2008, 07:09 PM
ironic postscript,
i had bought some nice threads a tad large so i could play in them and give them to my wife so as to do double duty, if i was careful. thought i was being frugal. they are large for her sake but style is as important as size, she told me, and other comments were, "what were you thinking?" and "never in a million years!" if my kids ever have a sleepover soon i'll model one or two for all of you so you can see. i would never suggest i have a better figure than hers, especially since mine is largely fake!
but i didn't count on my cleverness backfiring like that.
meekly,
jessie

Sandi jo
03-23-2008, 07:48 PM
I spend very little on drab clothes every now and then I'll pick something fem up but it helps I get a big discount for working in the store.

shirley1
03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
i've spent far too much on femme clothes recently (last 6 months) on ebay mainly - can get anything without having to worry about buying in shops and feeling awkward in drab - the trouble is every time i buy say some shoes i need a handbag to go with it - and a skirt a top to match - but isnt that just a taste of what ggs have to go through - buying male clothes is cheaper and a lot easier but god its boring !

Davinnia
03-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I have a seperate savings account & put $50AU in it a fortnight. If I make a major purchase I transfer the amount into my wife & my joint account. That way I can save for the things I really want. Next purchase is a pair of boots. Small items, makeup, stockings etc, I just buy when I need them. I justify my spending by buying few male items, I've plenty anyway.

PatriciaT
03-23-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't have a budget. I usually shop in the lower priced shops and boutiques, prefering a lot of inexpensive outfits to a few expensive ones.
I thing very carefully before I spend, however. I do spend far more on girls clothes than my boys clothes.
The way I look at is quite simple. I am not married and of course have no kids. I look upon buying girls clothes as if I were buying them for the wife or daughter I don't have. I justify it in that sense.

Patricia

Kenix
03-23-2008, 10:23 PM
I would not say I put myself in financial jeopardy but everything has a cost. It is easy to say that if I don't CD I will have a few extra thousand when I retire, but then I won't be having fun now.

shirley1
03-23-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't have a budget. I usually shop in the lower priced shops and boutiques, prefering a lot of inexpensive outfits to a few expensive ones.
I thing very carefully before I spend, however. I do spend far more on girls clothes than my boys clothes.
The way I look at is quite simple. I am not married and of course have no kids. I look upon buying girls clothes as if I were buying them for the wife or daughter I don't have. I justify it in that sense.

Patricia

i have spent approx £250 on femme clothes within the last 6 months !

my mate who's just got married spent £500 on a wedding ring !

go figure !

guardian832
03-23-2008, 10:31 PM
As for a budget, there are always sales and reasonably priced items at online sites such as Victorias' Secret.

LisaElizabeth
03-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi all,
I have to say, I usually do as Jill does!! I have a 'Girl fund'! some weeks it gets $20 added, some weeks it gets $.20! (depends on how much GAS has risen that week)
That way, I don't feel like I am affecting our bill paying or retirement savings. We also budget $10 / week as 'Mad Money' Most of the time this goes into the Girl fund, but not always!! Birthdays, Easter, Anniversary, etc... sometimes take a bite out of the available cash for 'Lisa' However! When things are looking good, my wife isn't bothered to just cut a check for an outfit or the 3 new Ambrielle bras I bought last summer.
So it is sort of a mix and match financial arrangement. Most of the time, I do rotate the clothes in my closet. There is always a top or a skirt that I know I will never wear again, and those go to one of the local 'T' support groups when they have a 'clothing exchange' meeting. If no one is having one, then Goodwill gets what I won't be wearing any more.
I only keep 4-5 tops and 3-4 skirts on hand, along with 4 bras, 6 pair of panties and 10-12 pair of hose in various shades. I have 1 wig (at the moment...) and 4 pair of shoes. all heels. 2 are a lower heel...
I am also losing weight and will be 'rotating' through my outfits as they get too big for me to wear. (Just another reason to dip into the cash box for a shopping trip!!)
Lisa Elizabeth

il.dso
03-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Interesting question.
I don't have a "budget" per se.
I do try to shop a reasonably priced
stores. I do have fantasies at shopping
at really high-end stores, however.
The real challenging issue for me is not
the budget but finding clothes that fit
properly and that I can safely purchase.

Mary Morgan
03-24-2008, 08:09 AM
My clothing budget follows three simple rules:

1. Buy only those items of female clothing that you want.

2. Buy only those items of male clothing that you need.

3. Oh, and try to get a good deal

Shelly67
03-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Oh dear . Whata budget - I hope its a pair of good gloves that let you hold youre credit card without burning youre fingers .......?
Does anyone know where I can buy a pair as my cards glowing !!
:doh:

JoAnnDallas
03-24-2008, 09:51 AM
I keep my buying in check. My wife will allow me to buy some fem items. It is how I keep the Pink Fog away. LOL

christid66
03-24-2008, 10:26 AM
No budget really....just if I see anything that's a bargain and I have sufficient cash on me