PDA

View Full Version : Transition

MichelleBolton
03-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering how many of you have young children, a job that is public facing (IE Sales), divorced, and are or have transitioned?

I'm thinking about many aspects of transition from managing expectations at work, to helping my children thru this transition.

I find myself trying to bury my feelings, and I am successful for a bit, but then they come rushing back stronger than ever.. Bing / Purge..

I'm trying to face this, as you all know there is so much to face. I've drawn the conclusion that I can't continue to try to bury my feelings.

I've always been one to consider other feelings before my own, in in facing myself, I have come to the conclusion it is time for me to take care of me for me.

Yet, I keep thinking that in this place of limbo, I am really not contributing to my fullest.

I work in an environment that is mostly male - am a bit concerned with transition on the job since I am public facing - therefore I tend to focus towards perfection which simply holds me back. If I think about changing careers, I think think about how negatively my sons would be impacted. I then think about waiting until they are older, I am not sure if I can hide this for that long.

Thoughts?

Hugs, Michelle

MichelleBolton
03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
My kids are 2, 4, 6 - soon to be 3, 4, and 6...

My ex, would do anything for me not to have anything to do with the kids.

I work in a field that is 99% male, although I have thought about transitioning into nursing as a part of my transition. I'm not thinking I am as lucky as you in respect to passing, therefore need to consider FFS prior to going full time. Yet, I am my worst critic as well..

I am also thinking that my skill set is transferable to a company / product that is driven more by women than men. I am thinking about the here and now, the transition - and how to survive, and also thinking about after transition, the woman I am, where I want to be, what I want to be doing.

I think alot..

Michelle

Valeria
03-23-2008, 11:44 PM
I work in a field that is 99% male, although I have thought about transitioning into nursing as a part of my transition.
I'm in nursing, and I would strongly advise you to not consider it as a career unless you *really* want to be a nurse. Getting your RN is a lot of work, and once you have it, you really have to love what you are doing. It involves long hours, and a lot of stressful or unpleasant tasks at times.

Many people do love it, but a lot of RNs leave nursing within a few years of getting their license, or drop out of nursing school after getting a taste for it.

I'm very happy so far, and there are a lot of advantages, but I know a lot of people that aren't so certain they've chosen wisely. If you just want a field with more female workers, there are probably better choices.