PDA

View Full Version : Working Retail in drag!

KateSpade83
03-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I was thinking, if I was unemployed again, maybe I could give it a try where I would apply for a retail job at a women's store and work every day in a nice skirt suit! [This would be a temp in between job. ]The money wouldn't be great, but it would be a great joy pretending to be a pretty woman working in a skirt suit every day! Has anyone here tried this? What was your experience?

It freaks me out when I see guys working in a womens retail store. Like in Victorias Secret, or one time in The Limited - a guy worker clearly had a woman's patterned sweater on.

Did Jodie work her women's retail job in drag?

What are your experiences applying for a job like this?

stefcd1
03-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Kate, funny you should post this. I have been thinking exactly along those lines in the last few days. See if I could get on working part-time in the cosmetics dept of a Dillard's or Macy's. I would love to have a weekend job where I would wear a dress or skirt and heels.

So, I too am looking for experiences from other girls out there.

Stef

Ashley in Virginia
03-30-2008, 10:52 AM
It freaks me out when I see guys working in a womens retail store. Like in Victorias Secret, or one time in The Limited - a guy worker clearly had a woman's patterned sweater on.

WTF??!?!?

What exactly freaked you out about it? That a guy was wearing a women's sweater? Isn't that exactly what a fair amount of us on this board do on a semi-regular basis?

Jodie_Lynn
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
But, how many establishments, especially the big name stores, would be willing to go along with the idea?
I mean, some of us here could definately pass ( and I am envious! ), but many of us are just a little too obvious, no?

KateSpade83
03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
WTF??!?!?

What exactly freaked you out about it? That a guy was wearing a women's sweater? Isn't that exactly what a fair amount of us on this board do on a semi-regular basis?

Yeah, this freaked me out. A mildly crossdresing guy in the Limited Store was really usual. But a good sign!

Julie York
03-30-2008, 06:02 PM
If you were self employed and ran your own business you could give yourself a reference and use your wife's I.D. and get the job easily.

So I've heard anyway.

:heehee:

SamanthaStevens
03-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Just as a number of companies have a non-discrimination policy that covers sexual orientation, there have to be a number of companies that have a non-discrimination policy that covers gender identity gender identity. Research and you will find there is a definite possiblity that employment by these companies is attainable. Gaining employment depends on the risk the company wants to take with you. Do you bring skills and product knowledge that the company/store can benefit from? Will having you on board increase $ sales at the company.

While in Chicago, I have seen pre-op MTF TS working in the major department store and also very effeminate men working at cosmetic counters.

Deborah Jane
03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I like this idea:D
Maybe i should apply for a job as a barmaid...I,ve got the clothes for it!!!

Jodi
03-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Personally, I don't think it would fly. I worked for both New York and Co and The Limited on the floor as a guy. Retail is serious business. Everything is the bottom line and both stores where I worked had very strict dress codes that had to be followed. As an SA, when you hit the floor, you had better look great. Your outfit had to be brand appropriate. And Kate, I guess I am also guilty of wearing both NY & Co and The limited sweaters on the floor when I worked there--man-tailored pants too. Remember, I got a discount on their clothing.

Retail is not the fun and glorious job that all of you think it is. Yes, it can be fun, but it is very tiring work. You are on your feet for 8 hours or more, with one 15 minute break in the middle. You are moving constantly, and you have to think on your feet. You deal with all kinds of customers. You better have a thick skin--be prepared to be shouted at and dumped on by any number of nasty women. All this for minimum wage. I saw too many sweet, young 18 yr olds last less than a week--these were the ones who thought all you had to do was stand around, look pretty and suck up on the discount.

If someone were transitioning and had the necessary documentation, there might be a possibility. It would come down to the person and the situation.

Jodi

Angie G
03-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Well Kate if that what you want to do go for it hun. :hugs:
Angie

Kierci
03-30-2008, 08:53 PM
:2c: I would think something like Catos,fashion bug, dress barn etc would be a better chance of being able to do that they are smaller usually more open minded then the big chains, some of us have seen problems as a shopping crossdresser at larger chains where as there have been (from what I have seen) been fewer problems at these smaller type stores.

Deborah_UK
03-31-2008, 02:09 AM
If you were self employed and ran your own business you could give yourself a reference and use your wife's I.D. and get the job easily.

So I've heard anyway.

:heehee:

Naughty!!!! :D

RikkiOfLA
03-31-2008, 03:18 AM
I have been working as a woman in California since before there were legal protections for transgender people. And I have talked with other CDers who've worked as openly TG women, including some in retail. Here are the general guidelines...

1. Employers know they can't discriminate on the basis of appearance. That means, legally they can't hire/fire people based on whether they are "cute" or "passable." Unless the law says otherwise, they CAN require women employees to wear makeup or be well groomed. They CAN require makeup not to be extreme. They can say no visible tattoos.

2. You can be expected to be consistent in your presentation. That is, if you are hired presenting as a woman, you have to present as a woman everyday. No looking male on Mondays and Wednesdays, female on Tuesday and Thursday. They can say, no appearing androgynous--you have to look consistently male or female.

3. Transgendered people are not news to larger companies. They have policies in place already. In a smaller company, you may be the first, and have to help the understanding employer create policy. The non-understanding employer of course, can just fire you for being TG, unless there are legal protections in place.

4. Large retail firms like Macy's and Sears are often the most understanding places to work. They know that women customers are more open-minded than men, and appearing open-minded is GOOD public relations with women customers. Also, keep in mind that department stores and most mass merchandisers are non-union companies. The pay is generally the lowest pay out there, and the general policy is to hire ONLY part time at entry level. In other words, these are the LEAST desirable legal jobs available in employment for most employees. And the employers know it.

5. Don't try to fake your ID. Use your male ID, legal name, etc. on the paperwork. It's perfectly okay to ask them to verbally use your femme name consistent with your presentation. Stay away from obviously "over the top" nicknames like "Kitten" or "Candy Kane."

6. Remember that many smaller chains are actually owned by larger corporations.

7. In other words, if you're serious about it, give it a try. Don't assume you won't get the job--you very well might. The worst that can happen is you get turned down or fired. And, especially if it's a part-time extra job for you, you don't have to mention it on your resume.

Good luck!

Blessings,
Rikki

Amy Hepker
03-31-2008, 04:49 AM
All you can do is try and see what happens, but be truthful. Don't tell them you are a female if you are not. They want truthful people working there not liers.

JoAnnDallas
03-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Houston like Dallas has anti-discrimination polices that protect us. So put in some applications and see what happens.

cindichicago
03-31-2008, 10:54 AM
My fantasy job would to work as a Hooters Girl.

Cindi

KateSpade83
03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Houston like Dallas has anti-discrimination polices that protect us. So put in some applications and see what happens.

Maybe that's why I'm lasting at my current engineering job! I think they know my "secret" but they don't do anything about it!

I just don't have the time to try a 2nd job where I can work in drag! And retail pay isn't worth it!

Trisha
03-31-2008, 11:33 PM
im lucky i work for my self i drive a bigrig 18 wheeler i do dress and drive as trisha some times i fule the truck i go in the truck stop and eat right up at the bar not meny truckers say much but the ones that do i put in there place so far no problems meny seem to ask strait questions and i tell them its no big deal :)

Dalece
03-31-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, this freaked me out. A mildly crossdresing guy in the Limited Store was really usual. But a good sign!

He could have been just gay not a full cd like us here. I know gay males as friends. They won't where a dress but will go for the frilly things like sweaters and the sort of clothes.

RachelX
04-01-2008, 07:42 AM
O yes, by all means at least apply. How dreamlike. You would be living as a woman during those hours! Any such chance seems immpossible, too good to be true. Do not be like me: isolated, depressed, and suicidal. I am 46 years old now, and if I were 20 years younger, when I looked alot better, I would press forward in all the ways I never did but wish I had. You youngsters may not fully understand what a different world it is now regarding the level of oppression formerly directed towards any type of TG. There is tolerance and even some encouragemwent regarding us and our need and desire to live and present ourselves as the people whom we actually are inside. Do it!
Love to you all,
Rachel Xavier

jessielee
04-01-2008, 07:53 AM
yes, dear,
like a dream as Rachael said,
sell yourself!
hugs,
jessie

stefcd1
04-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Yesterday at lunch I checked out Dillards online and found you could apply to the different departments like cosmetics, lingerie, women's appeal, etc online. I am seriously considering it as a weekend job, be so much fun living and working as a woman all weekend.

KateSpade83
04-05-2008, 11:02 PM
OK, I think I might try working retail in drag when I next get unemployed and collect unemployment. I'll only do 16 hrs a week.