PDA

View Full Version : Attitudes about crossdressers outside the US?

KaraChristine
03-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey Girls,

I travel a lot outside the US for work (usually to Leipzig Germany-constantly!, Shannon Ireland, Kuwait City, Dubai) and I have been VERY apprehensive about going out dressed.

I have the impression that Western Europeans are more open about sexual issues than a lot of the US, but I'm not sure how the average person on the street would treat a crossdressed male, or if it's physically or legally dangerous to be crossdressed in some of these places.

I would really appreciate it if anyone who either lives in or has been to some of these places could give me some idea of what to expect. Though of course I realize that it can be totally subjective anywhere - sometimes it just depends on the specific people you bump into.

Thanks in advance,
Kara :D

http://www.lvtg.com/lvtg/members/photos/kara4fun_50.jpg

harmony
03-30-2008, 11:09 AM
hello kara!
my life as a crossdresser started many years ago growing up in austria.now i was young and pretty then and what strikes me the most now looking back was the many admiring ggs.
european women do still have much more of a fashion sense so a well put together girl does not stick out as much.
even legally .they are quite a bit more developed and the public seems to be more educated on gender issues.
i still go back at least twice a year to be with family(i am going on a cruise on the river danube from vienna to the black sea in june).there are many support groups and organisations for cds.there is an austrian website with a large user gallery with girls from all over germany- i will pm it to you when i find it.
one of the major differences-cding is much more than skin deep.

Nadia-Maria
03-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I do live in western Europe, and believe we are at a rather low risk when crossdressing, especially in a big town. Of course you have to be careful of what you do, but if you act reasonable and thoughtfully you may do almost what you want.

Hugs

Nadia

deja true
03-30-2008, 11:44 AM
In truth, Kara honey, most of western Europe is probably on a par, acceptability wise, with the (more or less) enlightened cities of the western US, Portland, Seattle and San Francisco. Most of these countries have signed on to Trans equality legislation within the European Union, a thing the States has yet to get to after almost 15 years of argument and stalling from our own "enlightened" government! Feh!

Now, the Middle East....er...never been there, but (outside of Israel)I don't think I'd risk it, even in a hotel room! Maybe just my paranoia, what with all the apparent intolerance of those veiled countries. If the population cannot even respect their own women and girls, they're certainly not going to give much of a break to a foriegn tranny!

Some of those places still cut things off!

In a couple of 'westernized' Middle Eastern counties, trans girls have made a little bit of a headway as performers, (Jenny Hiloudaki (sp?)in Turkey and Dana International in Israel and a girl or two I've seen from Lebanon) but on the street? Dunno.

Caribbean is another place to tread carefully. Most West Indian countries are vociferously Christian fundamentalist in mindset and the religious ministers, most very conservative and outspoken, hold a lot of sway in them. Trans girls have been murdered in Jamaica with no justice having been served, and some Caribbean countries regularly turn away cruise ships if the ministers find out it's a gay cruise.

So...Europe=cool, Rest of the World=not so much!

Asia?, well we all know about Thailand, but a six foot white girl is gonna stick out there like a snowcone in a box of caramels. Anybody's guess!

Good luck on your travels. Wish I ever had a stewa...oops, I mean...flight attendant like you on any flight I ever took. But "Hot Ticket Airlines" doesn't fly to where I live. Tsk!

Enjoy the T-friendly skies, babygirl!

deja

Nicki B
03-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I think you might be asking for trouble in Kuwait or Dubai - they've not got a reputation for being particularly female friendly in any shape or form, although Dubai is fairly accepting, I'm told? But Eire or Germany you should be fine? You're more likely to find other girls in Germany to go out with, I'd have thought - how's your german?? :D

A mate of mine regularly does Scandinavia and Germany (she flies dressed most of the time) - but she was persuaded NOT to fly dressed into Saudi Arabia, but confine Melissa to the hotel... :eek:

Asia?, well we all know about Thailand, but a six foot white girl is gonna stick out there like a snowcone in a box of caramels. Anybody's guess!

White europeans often seem to find they pass easier - like many of the far eastern girls do over here - the locals aren't so used to the differences?

KaraChristine
03-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the helpful information so far

Now, the Middle East....er...never been there, but (outside of Israel)I don't think I'd risk it, even in a hotel room! Maybe just my paranoia, what with all the apparent intolerance of those veiled countries. If the population cannot even respect their own women and girls, they're certainly not going to give much of a break to a foriegn tranny!

hmmm... yeah, the atmosphere in Kuwait especially seems pretty oppressive for sexual minorities, and I have even heard of the imprisonment of local transgender people. In fact, I worry about even having my clothes in my suitcase when I travel there ! Thanks, I will be careful there.

A mate of mine regularly does Scandinavia and Germany (she flies dressed most of the time)

Nicki - does your friend actually work as a flight attendant while crossdressed? That's a dream of mine, but I suspect it would be a very easy way for me to get fired (I work mostly military charter flights so it might also be a way for me to get either murdered or have the time of my life !!)

Thanks again for the responses,
Kara :D

Nicki B
03-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Nicki - does your friend actually work as a flight attendant while crossdressed? That's a dream of mine, but I suspect it would be a very easy way for me to get fired

No - she sells industrial chemicals.

I do have a friend who's just had her op who's ambition was always to be a stew (she wanted to fly long-haul, with one of the Middle East carriers). Whether that comes to pass, we'll see - she's just 24 now... I remember spending three hours in A&E with her once, having rather surreal conversations about various a/c interior passenger configurations, to take her mind off the pain? (I was wearing a fluorescent pink and orange summer dress, at the time.. :rolleyes: )

(I work mostly military charter flights so it might also be a way for me to get either murdered or have the time of my life !!)

Aaah... :D

TxKimberly
03-30-2008, 02:05 PM
I lived in Germany for three years and wouldn't hesitate to CD there.
Ireland - all I know of CD there is that I have met one TG from there and had a ball with her. I would risk it in Ireland, I just might not be AS confident it was safe as I would be about Germany.
Kuwait City, Dubai, or any other middle East Country you would have to be absolutely crazy, out of your mind Nuts, to even briefly consider it. A local group sent out an email showing a crossdresser that was caught in Iraq. You can tell by the beard shown later in the video that she has been held for days and it showed the "police" laughing as they shaved her head. The video does NOT show or explain how it all ended.
See the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2tDVtjQNfQ&eurl=http://www.calpernia.com/diary/index.php/weblog/comments/heartbreaking_video_of_iraqi_transwomans_abuse/)
Like I said, you would have to be crazy to try it there.

jennifer41356
03-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I havent been to Germany or Ireland as a girl, but Japan is a great place, especially in Tokyo and Osaka...there are many little bars that cater to Cd's and I saw several during the day while in Tokyo..one looked like a guy in a dress and she walked across the street and people would look and stare, a couple of young girls giggled after she went by but saw no one bother her

Angie G
03-30-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't have an answer for you Butt just wanted to say I love you Avatar pic. :hugs:
Angie

gwendy
03-31-2008, 02:53 AM
I have regularly been out dressed in central Manchester (England) and have had no problems at all, and around the ‘Gay Village’ (the area around Canal Street) one is made very welcome.
In fact the last time I was there I was with my Mistress, She was wearing full dominatrix gear and I was also wearing leather wrist and ankle cuffs plus a bridle and bit. Lots of looks and some light banter but all very friendly, even the two police officers gave us a smile.
Likewise most of the major city centres, and I do stress centres, are accommodating to cross dressers, the rougher outskirts may be far less friendly.

Suzy Harrison
03-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Kuwait City, Dubai, or any other middle East Country - you would have to be absolutely crazy, out of your mind Nuts, to even briefly consider it..

I wouldn't even let my mind 'think' of the subject of crossdresseing even when flying 39,000 feet over one of those countries.!

They don't think much of real women over there - so you can imagine how popular we'd be.