PDA

View Full Version : How many crossdressers ?

Nadia-Maria
03-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi ladies,

There exist some studies about the percentage of MTF crossdressers in the whole population. Such studies are controversial and we may believe or not their results.

What I test here is the general feeling you may have about the actual percentage of MTF crossdressers in your country. I would wish to know your own rough estimation of this percentage.

For estimating, let's consider this definition :
a person will be assumed to be a MTF crossdresser, if he/she considers herself as such and/or has willingly crossdressed as a woman at least 2 times in the last 12 months.
Transsexuals are to be included in this category.
Men in a dress too, provided they wore a woman's dress or skirt at least 2 times in the last 12 months.
Just wearing a Kilt does not count !

Love and huge kisses to all respondents ...
and hugs to the others.

Nadia

Michelle-NC
03-30-2008, 10:58 AM
I have seen the report that it is 5% of the population, however, I feel that number is way too low...I just think for the report, that most men aren't admitting it.

Nadia-Maria
03-30-2008, 11:05 AM
I have seen the report that it is 5% of the population, however, I feel that number is way too low...I just think for the report, that most men aren't admitting it.

Ok for your point.
Another point is the DEFINITION used in the corresponding report.
Often reports consider as a MTF crossdresser : "one person who has crossdressed at least one time in his/her life".

I prefer narrow the definition to people who go on crossdressing at the moment, not including people who just tried it a few times in the past.

Love

Nadia

Sharon
03-30-2008, 11:07 AM
4.32%

Hey -- why not? :)

Annemarie
03-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Impossible to know really, but probably far less than the 3-5% of the gay male population.Therefore I guess less than 1%, including the vast majority who are in the closet.

Sarah Doepner
03-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Whatever the survey numbers may be, I would venture a guess that there are roughly double that. Regardless of the progress the Gay, Lesbian and Transexual community have made, I believe Crossdressing is still a "fringe" behavior for most of society. That makes it difficult for many CD's to admit it to themselves, let alone answer honestly in a survey.
I wonder how many retailers are making a good business targeting the crossdress patron. Is there a National Crossdresser Retail Association anywhere with a room full of computers who could answer that for us ;-) ?

AmyH
03-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I remember watching a show on Discovery about crossdressing. they said something like 10-15% of the population crossdresses one way or another. I am trying to find that show somewhere.

Deborah Jane
03-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I have no idea how many crossdressers there are. Apart from here, a few other forums and a few people i,ve told no one knows i dress.
It,s very unlikely i,d admit to it in a public survey either if i was asked in the street while in drab....I doubt many would, so it,s unlikely we,ll ever really know what percentage for sure!!

Rachel Morley
03-30-2008, 12:47 PM
My totally honest opinion (I have no supporting data) is that there's way, way more out there than you might think there are, but, the problem is most don't do anything about nurturing it, like we do. I'm saying it's an untapped market where the majority are in the closet to themselves and everyone else in the world.

I heard somewhere once that over 50% of the male population had at one time or another worn (just tried on) articles of women's clothes. Ok, that doesn't make them a crossdresser (not what I'd call a CD anyway). What's the true figure? ... who knows? ... I voted 5% to 10%

Nicki B
03-30-2008, 12:50 PM
This poll does rather strike me a bit pointless... :idontknow:

You're asking for opinions of something nobody can know?

But perhaps worth me mentioning this post (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1242736#post1242736) again, which no one seemed to notice?

Tammy298
03-30-2008, 01:02 PM
If the question is how many CD in public, it's pretty low. I wouldn't be surprise if it's less than 1%. On the other side of the spectrum, those "guys" who occasionally wear their SO's panties, I suspect it's pretty high, maybe 20 or 30%. But then again, I'm not sure that this is really crossdressing. I really believe at least 5% or 10% of the male poputions CD's from time to time, even if it's wear a nitie, pantyhose, or a dress occasionally!:2c:

deja true
03-30-2008, 01:20 PM
"Is there a National Crossdresser Retail Association anywhere...?"

This may have been said tongue in cheek ,but I've asked a related question in an old thread. And it my be a way to close in on a number. Even if not, it would be helpful and useful to us all.

Research cannot be done on us directly because so many are hiding, agreed. But could we not have a survey, a real professionally developed poll, prepared about our issues that can be asked of all the major retailers, if they have any idea of the number of men that buy women's essentials in their establishments? Include all chains that are always mentioned here as popular: WallieWorld, K-diddle, Vicky's Secret, Dress Barn, Kohl's, etc.
Include local BBBs as moderators or info gatherers...

The point being, that it would sensitize the store management to their hidden customer base and maybe end up providing store wide policy that could improve our lot on the ground, as in defined store policies on the treatment of trans-customers. I'm sure it's happening outlet by outlet, but nationwide policies would end up teaching and sensitizing all their employees and reduce the stress that so many find in shopping. Similar in nature to the sensitivity training that all enforcement agencies (even in Podunk) are getting these days.

None of our organizations are big enough or rich enough to do such a nationwide exercise, but how about the national LGBT orgs that say they speak for us, but in truth, seem to represent us very little? They owe us, I'm thinking. Many here have invested money and time in their efforts and we're still hiding! And if our opinions on numbers are anywhere near correct, we outnumber them by a large margin.

A phone call from a recognized national LGBT org leader to the COO of a major chain store concerning trans issues would probably get a hearing and some action, if the store cared about offending it's already largely known gay clientele. Face to face, even better.

I think this is actually possible with the right org behind it and the funding.

Okay, who here has the connections and free time to start this ball rolling?

positively political,

deja

Nadia-Maria
03-30-2008, 02:39 PM
This poll does rather strike me a bit pointless... :idontknow:

You're asking for opinions of something nobody can know?

Your way of thinking is respectable.

Sometimes we have to deal with uncertainty. There are different modes for reacting. One way is to say : you can do nothing.

Let's take an example. It's extremely difficult to evaluate the level of corruption in the society, beacause nobody knows for sure.

Nevertheless "Transparency International" the leading organization for fighting against corruption has found valuable methods to make thoughtful contributions to our knowledge of its spreadth in the various countries of the world.
See the Annual Global Corruption Reports at :http://www.transparency.org

All that knowledge are based essentially on rough estimations made by thousands people, carefully selected.
The results are astounding.

Love

Nadia

MJ
03-30-2008, 02:56 PM
there are time i log in here only to see 100 members and 300 guest . so what does that say ..

just for the record IMHO--- there is on such thing as an admirer they are t-girls in training ..Think about it..

Raychel
03-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Well if this house is an example of the rest of the world I would say abot 50%

Myself and one son likes to dress in womens clothes at least. I haven't found out about the other 2 males in this house.

Deborah Jane
03-30-2008, 02:58 PM
just for the record IMHO--- there is on such thing as an admirer they are t-girls in training ..Think about it..

Damn!! Thats where i went wrong...I never bothered with training:D

MJ
03-30-2008, 03:04 PM
LOL i would say to the girls i am just an admire .. Right >>>> just look at me now .. and what do you know ... they were right :eek:

trannie T
03-30-2008, 03:11 PM
I doubt that we will ever know for several reasons.
What is a crossdresser? A man who tried on his mother's dress at the age of four? A man who jokingly tried on his wife's bra? A man who puts on a pair of panties and then masturbates? A man who wishes he could wear the lingerie he sees in the Victorias Secret catalog?
How many crossdressers will be honest in a survey? There are so many of us who hide their crossdressing from their wives and family that one will question how much they will admit in a survey.
Who is going to take an accurate survey? There is little academic or scientific interest in transgender behavior. It would be difficult to fund a comprehensive study.

If anyone is interested I am a crossdresser.

Rachel Morley
03-30-2008, 03:19 PM
there are times i log in here only to see 100 members and 300 guest . so what does that say ..
EXACTLY! MJ .... as I write this Sunday lunchtime @ 1.19pm PST there are 24 members and 95!! guests on the main board! ... that's a lot of people doing a lot of "lurking" and reading. Why do they do it?.... because they're interested in the subject matter for one reason or another. Like everyone has been saying, it's a bigger thing than you might think for many different reasons. :)

Nadia-Maria
03-30-2008, 03:30 PM
EXACTLY! MJ .... as I write this Sunday lunchtime @ 1.19pm PST there are 24 members and 95!! guests on the main board! ... that's a lot of people doing a lot of "lurking" and reading. Why do they do it?....

My experience is it's essentially the same thing for any forum and for any subject. You will find more lurkers and readers than contributors.
For our CD forum I believe it's not any different.

Moreover some of us appears as guests (if they don't identify).

Love

Nadia

CharleneT
03-30-2008, 03:40 PM
It really depends on how you define it. Remember, we are way, way too male-centric in thinking. If you include women who dress in men's clothes, the percent is going to be high. Although most of those women do not think of it as "different". If you include only people who have done it in the last year vs. in their life time ? Many ways to judge that number.

tricia_uktv
03-30-2008, 04:25 PM
I have heard 1 in 10 but it really depends on the definition. I suspect people who actually crossdress on a regular basis would be about 1 in a thousand. More will think about it, more will wish they could do it. It would be interesting to see the figure if society was more tolerant and it wasn't so hard.

LilSissyStevie
03-30-2008, 04:50 PM
No one can know how many crossdressers there are because no one can adequately define what makes somebody a crossdresser. Is it one article of the opposite sexes clothing once in a lifetime? If not then how many articles and how often? Certainly motivation has to be a factor or we would have to include actors and such.

Rather than ask people to admit to some label, it might be better to ask them how much and how often they wear clothing they consider to be for the opposite sex. Ask them why they did it. Then you can make up your own arbitrary groupings and labels.

As an example of what I'm trying to say, imagine conducting a poll to find out how many alcoholics their are. I've been in AA for 30 years and I've never heard an airtight comprehensive definition of what makes one an alcoholic. All you would find out is how many people self identify as alcoholics. A far more informative poll would ask how much and how often the subjects drink. Even that would be influenced by the fact that heavy drinkers grossly underestimate their consumption. You can then divide up the respondents in to groupings and apply whatever labels you desire to them if that's how you get your jollys. But it is still doubtful that you would have arrived at TRUTH.

SandyR
03-30-2008, 06:18 PM
I have to agree there are more then we think that have at least thought about it and a big part of them have tried something on. But, I really feel 5-10 % is a good number for those who dress at least 2 a year.

SandyR

docrobbysherry
03-30-2008, 06:33 PM
As I recall, the answers here, r remarkably similar to that one.

I think that thread was something like, " How many CDs can fit on the tip of a pin?"

Best answer, if I remember correctly was, " Ouch". Sounds like a good answer here, too!

Carol A
03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Lot's of good answer but I believe there are more and more who are deep in the closet who are not accounted for. The increase in TV programs dealing with crossdressing and crossdressers is on the raise. Some are good other are bad but I believe more and more men are coming out. :2c:

sterling12
03-31-2008, 12:48 AM
We have speculated about the percentages before. The simple answer, nobody knows!

I once thought we might get an enlightened idea, if we polled The hospital E.R.'s and the Ambulance Attendants. To wit: "What percentage of the male patients who come in unconscious, are wearing undies or girl clothes?" Then I remembered that for most it's a solitary/stay at home practice. Not likely to see people in accidents that cause loss of conscience, when these people are mostly staying in their bedrooms.

I went with the 5-10% figure and it's strictly a hunch. But, if it's true...that could mean that 1 out of 10 of your buddies is also a crossdresser. You just have to figure out which one he is!

Peace and Love, Joanie

victoriamwilliams1
03-31-2008, 12:54 AM

This may be true, if I was asked I would not come clean myself. Now in forums in the community I would have no problem, the problem in in public forums.

Dalece
03-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Hard to say the percent, It seems we here are getting more members everyday. So the percent goes up and how many more are still in the closet or out of the closet that are not here. Or just starting today on crossdressing.

switcheralso
03-31-2008, 09:16 AM
According to Amazon the ranking for the book My Husband Betty: Love, Sex, and Life with a Crossdresser sales ranking is 55,695. To put this in prospective when a book on Amazon is number 1 that means it sells 3,000 copies a day. When a book on Amazon with a sales ranking between 10,000 and 100,000 there needs to be approximately 2.2 books sold in a day.

JoAnnDallas
03-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Here is a interesting statistic.

1960 - 1 in 100,000 persons was born Intersexed
2000 - 1 in 1,000 persons was born intersexed.

Janet Bern
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
It depends on the definition you are using. As CD we mean any man that wears womans clothes occasionally for whatever reason then the standard numbers prevail
20% of the male population are CDs
and by the way ,, 80% of them are Hetero..

Carly D.
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
I think it depends on the degree of which men crossdress.. there are those who (I've read on other sites) that don't believe that wearing heels constitutes crossdressing nor do others that wear pantyhose or tights feel that they are crossdressing.. so it is a good question.. to me anything that comes from that part of the store or the womens section should be considered crossdressing.. I think there are those who on a Saturday night drinking spree might feel free to wear womens clothing (if you're drunk to the point of passing out you have plausible deniability).. I did drink enough several times that I wanted to dressup if I would have been able to find some clothes to wear.. I think the percentage is well over the fifteen percent, on any given Saturday night.. and less than ten percent for those who actually own the clothing...

insearchofme
03-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Most academic studies (I used to teach Sex Education) say from 3-5%. From what i've observed here with the guests I think it is closer to 5% or a few per centage points more.

However, I have met only 1 crossdresser who was not part of this forum. I have never heard "whispers" about any of my friends or associates being crossdressers. This leads me to beleive we are pretty good at hiding, if we must.

Paula1950
03-31-2008, 02:07 PM
I think there are a lot more men wearing womens clothes but will not admit to doing it.
Paula

jessielee
03-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Sometimes we have to deal with uncertainty.

we are the unseen masses
of creative, emotional,
empathetic trailblazers.
striking out for the unknown
to embody and integrate
the physically impossible
yet spiritually tangible
and worthy of aspiring to.
more than you can count,
we wield our influence
as the stuff of dreams
and delicate intransigence.
it is better we cannot be numbered
else our hold, our influence could be quantified
as in the world of men.
we are moonstuff
the vessels of vision
so that, in our seeming immateriality
we loom greater and broader
in warm certainty
than ever imagined
in the hearts of men.

Emily Ann Brown
03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
May be worth a story about what happened to me once to illustrate the point of poor numbers.

Gentleman contacted me IM after seeing my webpage. Really raked me over the coals for being a pervert (was he mad because he thought I was a girl and then read the fine print???). I tried to communicate intelligently but to no avail. He blew his cork and disappeared finally. Nexy day he comes back and apologized for being so vulgar to me. I told him I accepted his apology.

He asked if he could ask me a couple of questions...."Sure, as long as it stays civil and I can also ask you a question."

Eventually I asked him had he ever wanted to wear women's clothes...

"NO !!!"

I told him I was sorry if I made him mad because it wasn't my intention. He then told me he wore his GF's panties all the time right before sex, but only because it was her idea and really turned her on. Wasn't his idea. He wasn't a pervert. I asked him if he enjoyed the feel of the panties. He loosened up and admitted it aroused him too. I got brave and asked if he would ever wear her bra just to "have sex".....he quickly said OF COURSE, then with a bit of casual proding admitted he wished she would ask him to next time because in the back of his mind he wanted to dress up......then he snapped back to reality and reminded me he wasn't a pervert or anything.

How many of him are there, and how do you catagorize him????

Emily Ann

KandisTX
03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
I recall a report from the past that stated something like 9 out of 10 men attempt crossdressing at least once, and of that 90% about 15% continue doing so after the first time. Personally, in this day and age, I think the percentage is probably quite a bit higher than that. Although, since many of them remain in the closet with their clothing, we may never know the exact numbers.

Kandis:love::rose2:

KandisTX
03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
May be worth a story about what happened to me once to illustrate the point of poor numbers.

Gentleman contacted me IM after seeing my webpage. Really raked me over the coals for being a pervert (was he mad because he thought I was a girl and then read the fine print???). I tried to communicate intelligently but to no avail. He blew his cork and disappeared finally. Nexy day he comes back and apologized for being so vulgar to me. I told him I accepted his apology.

He asked if he could ask me a couple of questions...."Sure, as long as it stays civil and I can also ask you a question."

Eventually I asked him had he ever wanted to wear women's clothes...

"NO !!!"

I told him I was sorry if I made him mad because it wasn't my intention. He then told me he wore his GF's panties all the time right before sex, but only because it was her idea and really turned her on. Wasn't his idea. He wasn't a pervert. I asked him if he enjoyed the feel of the panties. He loosened up and admitted it aroused him too. I got brave and asked if he would ever wear her bra just to "have sex".....he quickly said OF COURSE, then with a bit of casual proding admitted he wished she would ask him to next time because in the back of his mind he wanted to dress up......then he snapped back to reality and reminded me he wasn't a pervert or anything.

Emily Ann

I personally would categorize him as one of the many closeted dressers out there. He cannot admit to himself that he desires it, although he does fantasize about it. He cannot bring himself to do it on his own, he wants it to be someone elses suggestion, i.e. his girlfriend. He is one of us, even if he won't admit it.

Kandis:love::rose2:

Emily Ann Brown
03-31-2008, 02:58 PM
My thoughts exactly !

Emily Ann

ChanDelle
03-31-2008, 03:19 PM
I was considering what Switcheralso had to say about a book's sales. Well, I don't own any crossdressing / TG books as I don't want them laying around. I might buy some e books as I can make them secure. My point is, I don't think printed book sales is in any way indicative of the number of crossdressers. Some day we might stumble over some way to quantify us but first we have to define us, another toughy. I'd love to know the answer or even a good statistical guess.

ChanDelle

Nicki B
03-31-2008, 03:25 PM

In denial? :rofl:

Nobody's commented on this?

I heard a programme on the radio the other week, about dyslexia. It struck me that if I replaced the word 'dyslexia' with the word 'trans', it made just as much sense? :)

Extreme cases are perhaps 2% of the population but up to 10% of the population has at least a mild form..
It's not a 'disorder', it's simply a 'variation from normal'.. :)
In a non-literate environment, no one even knows there's an issue?
It's highly likely to be genetic, but it's not due to a single gene - most likely their interaction.. There are twins where one suffers, one doesn't?
You can't 'grow out of it'..
Drawing the line between someone who has this and someone who doesn't is impossible, because it lies over a spectrum..
'Labelling' people as suffering from it can be useful, but also dangerous...

Ruth
03-31-2008, 03:41 PM
I go along with the crowd who respond a mixture of "I don't know" and "it all depends". The thing is, I'm here on this forum, I accept I am a crossdresser. People like me are probably easy to quantify.
But there are all those who are so deep in the closet they wouldn't even log on to a website, and there are those who have crossdressed "just for fun", "for a dare", "wife/GF made me" but are DEFINITELY not CDers, no sirree.
What I'm saying is there is a whole constituency who would not admit to CDing and are near impossible to count. Should you include them?

il.dso
03-31-2008, 03:50 PM
How many crossdressers?
For years, I thought the answer was 1 (only me!).
Now, with this website, I realize that the answer
is certainly much higher!

RobynP
03-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Personally, I think the number of "active" crossdressers is very, very low. If it were higher, there would be more CD-themed television shows, movies, plays, video games, etc. Yes, there are the occasional movies or television shows (Jerry Springer does NOT count!) but overall there is very, very little CD-themed entertainment out there. There are no large companies that I am aware of that are publicly, actively targeting advertising for crossdressers. How many sports figures out there are gay or "rumored to be gay" vs. the number that are crossdressers or rumored to be crossdressers?

I think it is possible to get a pretty good statistical sampling from a number of different sources if one has the time. How many photos on Flickr are tagged with "crossdressing" or something similar vs. the number of photos that are not? How many Flickr groups (and members and photos) are CD vs. non CD? How many Yahoo groups (and members) are CD vs non CD? How many MySpace, Facebook, Yahoo360, etc, are CD vs non-cd? How many books in Amazon are catagorized as CD vs. non CD?

Of course, some numbers might be a little skewed because we sure like taking pictures! But a good statistician would be able to eliminate some of the sampling errors.

Because many of us tend to surround ourselves with all things CD most of the time, our perception of the actual numbers may be distorted quite a bit. Also, we would like to hope that our number is substantially large, say around 5% to 10% because it would indicate some credibility and authenticy. We may even be able to be classified as a legitimate "minority".

I just don't think the number of crossdressers are very large and I don't think it is because there are a large number of us still in the closet refusing to be identified... I think the number is small because there really aren't that many of us...

Robyn P.

Carly D.
04-01-2008, 08:31 AM
How many crossdressers?
For years, I thought the answer was 1 (only me!).
Now, with this website, I realize that the answer
is certainly much higher!

That's me as well... I mean I remember seeing the old comedy shows from when I was growing up with men dressing as women but thought they were just doing it as a gag... a way to seem funny or silly.. so when I was dressing in womens clothes and I thought of those old shows I thought "but does anybody (else) do this for real??"... I watched Monty Python and saw how they all wore womens clothes and felt so close to these guys and loved their comedy style...

Nadia-Maria
04-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Up to now, from the poll's latest news I derived the figure of 7,5% of MTF crossdressers in the population. as estimated by our assembly of ladies.

At first glance it appears as quite a convenient result.

Out of the 7,5% crossdressers, I guess a much lower number for authentic TGirls .
Because I believe this figure of 7,5% must include many people crossdressing for other reasons than feeling as a woman. In my opinion, the most common reasons for wearing woman clothes might be curiosity and fun, and/or when woman clothes appear to be more appropriate than the man's clothes at hand.

My SO uses to borrow my clothes when she has no more appropriate clothes of their own at hand.... despite the fact she considers my crossdressing as a deviant behaviour !

Hugs and kisses

Nadia

TGMarla
04-01-2008, 09:07 PM
With things such as they are, when women can wear any damn thing they want to and get away with it, it is only natural that men would at least be curious about what it is like to wear these forbidden things, these clothes made exclusively for women.

So it stand to reason that curiosity alone would induce a great percentage of men, probably well over 50%, to at least try on a woman's article of clothing at least once in his life. Logically, it then stands to reason that a percentage of those men would actually like it. Or they'd remember it later and try it again, thinking that, yeah...they liked it.

Some of those will take to crossdressing for pleasure. Because clothing is meant to enhance our appeal, it is only natural that any man who enjoys seeing his SO in nice clothes, will be aroused on some level if he tries them on. Sexual stimulation is a very strong persuader. And men generally love to be persuaded that way.

But very few of them are ever going to admit it, especially in front of his peers.

So it stands to reason that the actual numbers are a bit low. Maybe way low.

Fanny
04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
All I know is that when, not if, evryone comes out ... we will all be a lot better off.

Jenna Lynn
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I have heard different percentages of the population that crossdresses. I believe that it may actually be higher than believed. There are those who have admitted to crossdressing (at least to themselves), then there are probably alot more that deny or will not readily admit they crossdress

Nadia-Maria
04-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Personally, I think the number of "active" crossdressers is very, very low. If it were higher, there would be more CD-themed television shows, movies, plays, video games, etc. Yes, there are the occasional movies or television shows (Jerry Springer does NOT count!) but overall there is very, very little CD-themed entertainment out there. There are no large companies that I am aware of that are publicly, actively targeting advertising for crossdressers. How many sports figures out there are gay or "rumored to be gay" vs. the number that are crossdressers or rumored to be crossdressers?

Very much agreed.

I think it is possible to get a pretty good statistical sampling from a number of different sources if one has the time. How many photos on Flickr are tagged with "crossdressing" or something similar vs. the number of photos that are not? How many Flickr groups (and members and photos) are CD vs. non CD? How many Yahoo groups (and members) are CD vs non CD? How many MySpace, Facebook, Yahoo360, etc, are CD vs non-cd? How many books in Amazon are catagorized as CD vs. non CD?

Of course, some numbers might be a little skewed because we sure like taking pictures! But a good statistician would be able to eliminate some of the sampling errors.

I share your point of view ; progress can be done by using a multidisciplinary approach and obtaining figures from very different official sources.

Results would be far better than by directly asking people ; since often people don't know, or deny, they are CD !!

It is exactly the same problem to overcome when trying to estimate the level of corruption in society or the percentage of doping in sports.

"We can never know" is the wrong attitude, I guess.

I just don't think the number of crossdressers are very large and I don't think it is because there are a large number of us still in the closet refusing to be identified... I think the number is small because there really aren't that many of us...
Robyn P.

I agree with you.

In fact, the number of CD can be artificially much raised by enlarging too much the definition : many people crossdress only for curiosity, or a couple of times ; that don't make them belonging to our community, I guess.

Whenever you define "sport" by "any physical exercise", more than 98% of the actual population are sportive because they just use to walk sometimes....
Such too loose definitions have no real meaning, I believe.

I voted to this poll : 1 to 5% , because the suggested definition was quite open.
As for Tgirls and/or active CD, I believe they are significantly less than 1% (a few per thousands).

I agree with you that many of us would wish we were a larger population, so many of us love to think we are actually a very large population.
Nevertheless evidence - as you showed - is at odds.

Hugs
and still huger kisses to the majority of us who might not think so... :)

Nadia

Keely
04-03-2008, 05:27 AM
I put my tick mark in the 1-5 but I doubt that we will ever really know. Maybe we could get the question added to the US Census form :heehee:

il.dso
04-03-2008, 08:00 AM
My theory:

25,000 members on this website
25,000 that view this website but are not members
100,000 who don't have the internet or don't know about this website

EnglishRose
04-03-2008, 09:04 AM
My theory:

Actually, at any given time there tends to be 3-4 times the number of guests than members viewing.

Nadia-Maria
04-05-2008, 10:36 AM
My theory:

You have here a very interesting approach.
Maybe you are underestimating our population though, I guess.

With your figures the percentage would amount much less than 1 per thousand, that is 150,000 / 600,000,000 people (at least 3 times the US population for taking in account foreigners in Europe, Australia, etc.).

I would suggest adding a category of closeters who may have the internet, but would not wish to be catch at looking for such sites.

As another try, my tentative figures could be about these :

250,000 that view or viewed at least sometimes this website but are not members
500,000 that have the internet but would not be catch looking for such sites
2 500,000 who don't know about this website (or who don't have the internet)

That would fit my own estimation of maybe 0,5 % true CDers.

Hugs and kisses

Nadia

Kristen Kelly
04-05-2008, 02:20 PM
there are time i log in here only to see 100 members and 300 guest . so what does that say ..

I totally agree with you on that, we here just have the need or desire to admitt it.
your comment on t-girls in training reminds me of what someone asked the other night,
"What is the diference between a CD and TS", to which I replied "2 years"

Tomara
05-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I think I have to agree with most of the responses in that we who are members and the guests on this site are a very small percentage of the peole in this world who crossdress .

serinalynn
05-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Well, I voted 5-10% because that what I believe is the most accurate percentage. I believe that those who post on this forum are individuals who are presenting themselves as "Respectable Women" and that all I would like to do, is to be seen as a respectable woman.