PDA

View Full Version : Feminine Voice

sidney_girl
05-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Well, it happened to me again. I was mistaken for a woman while on the telephone. I called my credit union this morning, regarding an account which has both my wife's name and my name on it. The woman at the credit union asked me if this was M--- (my wife's name). Sadly, I had to admit that no, it was actually G--- (my male name). Anyway, it was a case of mistaken identity that I enjoyed.

And it's not the first time this has happened to me. One time I wasn't even on the phone, but in a store. I came up behind a sales associate and asked him for assistance. Without turning around, he said, "I'll be with you in a minute, m'am."

I guess I have a naturally feminine voice. If only I could say the same thing about my face and figure! :(

Rayna
05-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Well, it happened to me again. I was mistaken for a woman while on the telephone. I called my credit union this morning, regarding an account which has both my wife's name and my name on it. The woman at the credit union asked me if this was M--- (my wife's name). Sadly, I had to admit that no, it was actually G--- (my male name). Anyway, it was a case of mistaken identity that I enjoyed.

And it's not the first time this has happened to me. One time I wasn't even on the phone, but in a store. I came up behind a sales associate and asked him for assistance. Without turning around, he said, "I'll be with you in a minute, m'am."

I guess I have a naturally feminine voice. If only I could say the same thing about my face and figure! :(

I"m so jealous. Can i have your vocal chords if i smile real pretty?

Sigrid
05-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Ooooo, you're so lucky!

~Sigrid

Marianne
05-02-2005, 11:50 PM
I think I have the voice down pat... :)

Voice (http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/sounds/Destiny.wav)

sarah
05-02-2005, 11:59 PM
People do that to me all the time the only difference is they think because i speak well i must be gay..Is this a compliment ?

Ophelia D'Void
05-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I think I have the voice down pat... :)

Voice (http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/sounds/Destiny.wav)

Hey, it's a bit husky, but I think you got it down Marianne ;) Have the strange urge to put a bandolier on my dog for some reason now....

miss Zaskia
05-05-2005, 03:34 PM

Voice always been my weak point. learned to controll it over the years but still have what you'd call a rather strong voice. Hope you're incredibly ugly!!!

eileen1969
05-05-2005, 03:53 PM
my vioce can be fem! if I practise! consiider yourself very good girl! wow, I wish I could do that hun!?
take care stay sexy! ;) :p brat! lol I'm Jelous! :)

Alie
05-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Nice problem, I wish I had it!

Phoebe Diana
05-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Well, it happened to me again. I was mistaken for a woman while on the telephone.

What I remember from my linguistics classes is that most of the male/female "tells" don't have anything to do with pitch, but with actual usage. (The only one I can remember right now is that women use a lot more questioning intonations, especially exaggerated ones, even in statements. (Rising intonations at the end of sentences?)I remember that one cause that's part of my instinctive "politeness voice" and it has often me mistaken for a woman.) I'd have to dig out my old textbooks to get other examples.

What I remember about tone is that in the US, men usually pitch there voices quite a bit below what their "natural" voice is, and women pitch theirs up (though not to the same extent). (This is true in other English speaking countries too, but not to the same degree.) The upshot being that the average male should only have to pitch their *natural* voice up a bit to get into an acceptable female range. (The main problem being that the natural pitch of your voice doesn't *feel* natural to most men, because they're used to speaking lower than that.)

But pitch shouldn't even matter. If you can learn to use a women's dialect (for which an actor could probably teach better than a linguist, then you should be set.

Phoebe

SissyPanties
05-05-2005, 10:23 PM
I have a deep bass voice. Nothing feminine about it.