PDA

View Full Version : Suzy flying enfemme ?

Suzy Harrison
04-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Well I'm seriously considering flying across Australia enfemme (5 hour flight) in 6 weeks time.

I know this isn't a new thing as several girls in the US have already done this..... but it's really new to me !

The more I think about it ~ the more I want to try. So today I've just sent this email to QANTAS to get their view on the subject.

When they reply I'll post it on this thread. I think TxKimberly sent a similar letter to another airline in the US, but didn't get a reply - lets see if QANTAS comes to the party.

Hi

I was wondering what your policy is regarding Transgender persons traveling with Qantas.

Although my ID is male and the ticket will be purchased for a male (I'm a QF Frequent Flyer too) I would like to travel in May (MEL - PER) as female. I do often present in public as a female - and use female facilities such as changing rooms and rest rooms etc with no problems or embarrassment to anyone concerned.

However to travel, I would have to use my male ID at the Qantas check in counter and I'm worried that this might cause some problems.

Can you give me some advice on the subject ?

Kind Regards
Suzy Harrison

JoAnnDallas
04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I would say checking in my not be a problem, it Qantas has self checking like many US airlines do. Here we just walk up to the kios, swipe our driver license or ID card, answer a few questions about our baggage, and it prints out the boarding pass. Then all we have to do is go thru security and it is a published fact that TSA will accomidate the transgender person. Not being familiar with your airport security, I can not say how they will respond.

joann07
04-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Suzy,

I think you should be fine.
Before I went flying, I checked the U.S. TSA website about transgendered passengers and, as JoAnnDallas confirmed, they have a policy about nondiscrimination against all passengers regardless of ethicity, religion, sexual identity, etc, etc. so I felt more at ease the day I flew.
I conducted and presented myself appropriately and had no problems whatsoever, but just in case, I left some male clothes in my car in the event that there was.

The only thing I was a little more worried about was my makeup because I was sweating pulling about 80 U.S. pounds of combined luggage (i.e. large suitcase and garment bag). It was a long way from the parking gargage to check-in and walking around in 3 inch pumps seemed like I was walking up a hill the whole time.
It felt so much better once I had everything checked in and when I stopped in the ladies room to check my makeup everything was fine.

Go for it girl! :)

Hugs!

Eileen
04-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Have a great flight Suzy! You should not have any problem. The airline wants you as a passenger!

Eileen

debbeelee1
04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Suzy, your biggest problem may be the flight crew hitting on you!

Suzy Harrison
04-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Well it been one working day and I haven't had a reply yet.

Mind you they haven't quickly replied and said that "we don't want your sort on our planes" either!

JoAnnDallas ~ It's sort of the same here, but if you have lugguge to be checked into the hold, which is usually the case of course, you still have to go to the check in desk after you have used the check in kiosk.

JoAnn07 ~ Well you're the one who inspired me to do it so you should know !

Eileen ~ Thanks, well I hope they want me as well.

Debbeelee ~ Ha! - Well I don't mind the Cabin Crew hitting on me, but I'd really prefer the Flight Crew to keep themselves occupied flying the plane !

:hugs: Suzy

Angela Burke
04-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Suzy,
They will most definitely want your sort.
You're a potential paying customer.
Your sort is their sort!

Brianna1
04-02-2008, 05:19 AM
Hey Suzy, Where are you going to? Anywhere near the South East of SA? :) I'm coming back to Perth later this month for the Fairbridge Folk Festival near Pinjarra.

Dalece
04-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Suzy Have a good flight. I know you will make it.

Huntress
04-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Suzy,
It's well established by now that certain portions of our, less than worldly, societies consider CDing outre. Even many potential relationship partners balk at what they consider Baggage.

Good news!

Airlines are occasionally reputed to be experts in handling Baggage .:waiting:

Good flying sweetie!

Huntress

jessielee
04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Suzy,
very interested in what you learn!
and very happy for you.
agree, you will wow them.
and to pass through the terminal and check in and security?
you have all my highest hopes and wishes, dear.
hugs,
jessie

lu-bunny
04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Airlines are occasionally reputed to be experts in handling Baggage .:waiting:

someone should tell the airlines that.... as banged up as i get my luggage back sometimes :rolleyes:

jessielee
04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
she said they are "reputed" to be experts!
wonder if they can handle the baggage some of us carry around?
i'm at the busiest airport in wyomng right now,
admiring the fashions, the footwear,the haistyles,
and sometimes wondering,
could i look as good as she does?
or, could she be one of us?
could he?
could be!
more and more.
you go girl!
bon voyage!
and please tell us what you learn!
hugs,
jessie

TxKimberly
04-02-2008, 08:54 PM
. . . I think TxKimberly sent a similar letter to another airline in the US, but didn't get a reply . . .

Suzy, I did indeed send a letter very much like yours to Delta airlines where I am "Gold Elite". You know what their answer was?
"Go ask the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA)."
You know what? I DID, and sent them an e-mail. Guess what their response was?
"Go ask your Airline!"

The urge to try this is killing me as well but much like yourself, my travel is for work. Can you imagine what would happen if I miss a flight to a customer because they wouldn't allow me through the check point? My other fear is that these days, air travel in the US is pretty hit and miss. I can't recall the last time I traveled where there weren't delays, canceled flights, lost bags, etc. I was making a 6 our trip to Detroit once that wound up being a 16 hour trip with no luggage at the far end. Can you imagine what I would have looked like at the end of that? The thought sends chills up and down my back! lol

Suzy Harrison
04-03-2008, 07:38 AM
2 days and no reply yet from Qantas - I'll give it another day and follow it up - they won't escape me!

Angela ~ you are right of course and the company I work for spends thousands with this airline each year flying me around.

Brianna1 ~ sorry no, I'm going to Melbourne

Dalece, Huntress, lu-bunny ~ I used to work for a famous British Airline - they actually sacked a pilot who wore a bra while flying !

jessielee ~ Thanks keep an eye out for me too!

TxKim ~ This will be for work too, but it's the return journey which makes it a little easier. Flying over here is still pretty easy. In all the years I've flown here I've only ever been delayed 1 hour so that's okay.

But knowing my luck the plane will be hi-jacked to the middle east, probably Iran or Syria !... That's a point I wonder what I'll look like in one of those black hijab numbers

Kieron Andrew
04-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Dalece, Huntress, lu-bunny ~ I used to work for a famous British Airline - they actually sacked a pilot who wore a bra while flying !

Something similar happened to a VERY good friend of mine in 2001 you can read it here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1527954.stm

Michelle (Oz)
04-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi Suzy

I have flown many times now en femme with Qantas and staff from check in to flight attendants are exceptionally professional, courteous and friendly. In fact, I would rate Qantas as one of the most accommodating of organisations to cross dressers. As a frequent flyer just show your membership card at check in. You won't get "funny" looks or be made feel uncomfortable. As always in public be confident.

I did change my seating preference from aisle to window and I board early if en femme to give me a chance to recognise people I might know and to control my environment a little. I also check in my roll on to avoid having to worry about bags. If I have a computer I put it in a satchel which I carry on plus my hand bag of course.

The airport security people are similarly very professional and friendly. I am called "m'am" even though I don't pass.

Don't worry if you don't get a response from Qantas. Their performance speaks for itself. I did check into having a female boarding pass issued but that wasn't possible for security reasons.

You will get a great buzz from flying. It is very intense being exposed to a lot of people with time on their hands to people watch and in close proximity to your fellow passengers. Flying en femme remains my favourite outing and gives me a great high.

I look forward to you telling us about your experiences.

Michelle (Oz)

Suzy Harrison
04-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Michelle ~ Hi Michelle - and I do remember you writing to me on this subject some time ago. What worried me a little, is when you said you didn't pass, which implies that maybe they can tell who you are from your male ID cards. Well my male ID cards look like they are for someone else ! - and that's a concern for me.

Kieron Andrew ~ Wow - and did you see the date? - before 11 Sept 2001.
Mind you the $50,000 would come in handy !

janet1234
04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
not surprised at the airline response since in general, the great American public is obsessed in negative ways about sex. One proof is the rate of teen age pregnancy exceeding many European rates.

JoAnnDallas
04-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I see our TSA has to do some more senstivity training after the pericing incident.

joann07
04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I see our TSA has to do some more senstivity training after the pericing incident.

Yeah. I heard about that incident
But, the passenger should also be smart enough, or have common sense, to know that if she's going to fly that she should take them off prior to going to the airport, or going through security, so as to avoid such an event.

Me, I make sure to take off anything that's metallic whether is my watch, keys, pocket change, etc, etc. It's better to be safe than sorry.

TxKimberly
04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
But knowing my luck the plane will be hi-jacked to the middle east, probably Iran or Syria !... That's a point I wonder what I'll look like in one of those black hijab numbers

Just make DAMN sure you lay the Australian accent on thick and heavy - you wouldn't want them mistaking you for an American. Funny thing, they aren't real fond of us over there. . .

lu-bunny
04-03-2008, 11:00 PM
But, the passenger should also be smart enough, or have common sense, to know that if she's going to fly that she should take them off prior to going to the airport, or going through security, so as to avoid such an event.

I fly every month and the TSA agents are always telling people to leave their jewelry on that it wont bother anything.... i wear 3 rings, my tongue ring and up to 8 earrings through and have never had a problem...

Pamela Julie
04-03-2008, 11:35 PM
The only problem I could foresee is if you pass so well you don't look at all like your id. If you look like a female version of yourself you should do fine. If you look like an Arab or Persian, then you have a problem.

Pamela:)

Michelle (Oz)
04-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Suzy

Not passing to more than the casual observer perhaps makes the "Mr" on the booking and the "en femme" more easily reconcilable for the check in staff. It also heightens the excitement.

It isn't the TG policy of Qantas that is of concern (my experiences are relevant there)but how to prove your identity.

Michelle (Oz)

Suzy Harrison
04-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Just make DAMN sure you lay the Australian accent on thick and heavy - you wouldn't want them mistaking you for an American. Funny thing, they aren't real fond of us over there. . .

Yeah if I say "Have a nice day !" to the guy with the sub machine gun, I'll be done for ! :heehee:

Anyway the Aussies are in Iraq with you and Afghanistan as well, so they hate all of us lowlife infidels !

TxKimberly
04-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah if I say "Have a nice day !" to the guy with the sub machine gun, I'll be done for ! :heehee:

Anyway the Aussies are in Iraq with you and Afghanistan as well, so they hate all of us lowlife infidels !

Well, as usual your right. That being the case why don't you just go ahead and spit in his eye and tell him to "Piss off!" then. :-)

Suzy Harrison
04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Well, as usual your right. That being the case why don't you just go ahead and spit in his eye and tell him to "Piss off!" then. :-)

Ha!

So... how easy is it to dodge machine gun bullets anyway ?

Anyhow, back to the plot - and I still haven't received a reply from Qantas yet. They either haven't seen it yet, ignoring me or still thinking how they're going to answer. I'll send off another identical letter, referring to the first one, that way they know I mean business.

Valeria
04-04-2008, 11:48 PM
The urge to try this is killing me as well but much like yourself, my travel is for work. Can you imagine what would happen if I miss a flight to a customer because they wouldn't allow me through the check point?
FWIW, I flew probably dozens of times presenting as female with male ID, back before I had my name and gender markers corrected. I never got hassled. I never got delayed. The TSA folks always just said "have a nice flight, miss", and that was it. Now, I never get misread as "male", so the only issue I had was how the TSA would handle it. But they at least are pretty well trained in this area (IME).

I don't know where you are located in Texas, but I flew out of DFW several times without a problem (on both Delta and American).

My other fear is that these days, air travel in the US is pretty hit and miss. I can't recall the last time I traveled where there weren't delays, canceled flights, lost bags, etc. I was making a 6 our trip to Detroit once that wound up being a 16 hour trip with no luggage at the far end. Can you imagine what I would have looked like at the end of that? The thought sends chills up and down my back! lol
I'd strongly advise a carry-on bag. :p

Don't forget their rules about liquids and stuff (which aren't as strict as they used to be, but still).

Suzy Harrison
04-05-2008, 11:25 PM
You know what, I've just looked at my e-mail to Qantas again (the one they haven't replied to) and checked the date:

April 1st

I wonder............ - I've just sent off another email to confirm I am expecting an early reply - just in case they think it's a joke!...

TxKimberly
04-06-2008, 08:42 AM
You know what, I've just looked at my e-mail to Qantas again (the one they haven't replied to) and checked the date:

April 1st

I wonder............ - I've just sent off another email to confirm I am expecting an early reply - just in case they think it's a joke!...

Can't you just see them now?
"Yeah, look at this frequent flier trying to yank our chain on April fools day!"

You know my last two promotions in the Army both came on April Fools Day. I always thought there was a hidden message there!

Nicki B
04-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Something similar happened to a VERY good friend of mine in 2001 you can read it here

I wasn't going to mention Sarah's experience until after Suzy had flown.. Sarah and many other of our friends have flown without problems many times since, into the US, Oz, Europe & the Far East.

Sarah would be very pro you going.

United Airlines, let me say that again UNITED AIRLINES, however, have been in administration since 2001 - so, like many other creditors, she's still not got any money out of them.. :sad:

Kieron Andrew
04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
I wasn't going to mention Sarah's experience until after Suzy had flown.. Sarah and many other of our friends have flown without problems many times since, into the US, Oz, Europe & the Far East.

Sarah would be very pro you going.

United Airlines, let me say that again UNITED AIRLINES, however, have been in administration since 2001 - so, like many other creditors, she's still not got any money out of them.. :sad:

yup...i forgot to say that it wasnt a reflection on you flying Suzi, if others have had good experience, especially with Qantas who are you are flying with i say go for it

TxKimberly
04-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Speaking of United Airlines! I have traveled all over the world taking my guitars with me and never had a problem. A few years ago, I bought a $1,200 guitar that was to be my last guitar, my "grow old and die" with guitar, the one I would hand down to one of my children. I took it on a training trip with me and flew with United Airlines. Well, got there and the hard case for the guitar was undamaged. Popped the case open and the guitar inside was smashed. Common sense tells you the guitar MUST have been out of the case when it was damaged. Still, United Airlines would accept no responsibility and never even apologized. Had I been some filthy rich individual (like Suzy) and had a $2,000 suitcase, they would have replaced the expensive luggage. A guitar that was taken out of its case, smashed, then returned to its case, they accepted no responsibility for.
This pissed me off so bad I told the lady that makes our travel arrangements that I didn't care if my company fired me for not taking the cheaper flights, she was not to ever book me on another United flight because I WILL NOT board another United airplane. Considering how much I fly, I promise Untied has lost far more than the value of that guitar in flights that I didn't take with them.
End Rant on United Airlines

Suzy Harrison
04-06-2008, 07:15 PM
...... Had I been some filthy rich individual (like Suzy) ......

Oh yeah ! :heehee:

janet1234
04-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Fly femme and the hell with everyone, the Aussies will likely be the best.

Suzy Harrison
04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Well it's been 14 days now and although I've sent off two emails to them I still haven't received anything back from Qantas.

Time for plan "B"

When I work out what I'm going to do in Plan "B" I'll let you know.

any suggestions?

Niya W
04-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Some time in August I plan to take a trip to Canada. I'll be dressed from the time I hit the airport till the time I come home. Only interesting thing is the passport pic, as I havestate ID enfeme

TxKimberly
04-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I did it just today! Kimberly got some frequent flyier miles! (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1262567#post1262567)

StayceeCD
04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Popped the case open and the guitar inside was smashed.

So sorry to hear that Kimberly! I'm a professional musician and when I have to fly with my instrument I take it in a sturdy leather gig bag and place it in the overhead. This is my profession and I'm usually traveling with vintage instruments. Mainly a 57 P Bass, or 72 P Bass. Most airlines will happily accommodate instruments in a gig bag, however two anti-musician airlines I've encountered are Delta and America Worst/West! Hopefully you've found another "retirement guitar"!
Staycee

Suzy Harrison
04-15-2008, 05:07 AM
I did it just today! Kimberly got some frequent flyier miles! (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1262567#post1262567)

You beat me too it :tongueout

..and I was going to change my Avatar sign to say:

I beat TxKimberley into the air !

well done - and what an adventure you had too, I'm glad you weren't bored !

sandra-leigh
04-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Some time in August I plan to take a trip to Canada.

You coming up to see us Masquerade girls in Winnipeg? :heehee:

Niya W
04-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I'll be some were in Vancouver

carolinewalker_2000
04-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Good luck Suzy; at least you Aussie and American girls can try out flying within your own borders without to much checking of paperwork. For us in the UK the security thing - even for internal flights - is something else! By the time the authorities finished checking out the mismatch between ID and presentation, our flight would have long gone!!!

Nicki B
04-15-2008, 02:30 PM
For us in the UK the security thing - even for internal flights - is something else! By the time the authorities finished checking out the mismatch between ID and presentation, our flight would have long gone!!!

People Kieron & I know regularly fly dressed between the UK and Europe/Scandinavia, without any problem - five at least have done transatlantic flights? Never having had any laser, the latter doesn't really appeal to me...

although I've sent off two emails to them I still haven't received anything back from Qantas

Suzy, they haven't said 'no', have they? :devil:

TxKimberly
04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
You beat me too it :tongueout

..and I was going to change my Avatar sign to say:

I beat TxKimberley into the air !

well done - and what an adventure you had too, I'm glad you weren't bored !

Suzy,

Your still going to beat me at one thing - making an International Flight. I don't think I'd have the courage to try that one!

Suzy Harrison
04-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Suzy,

Your still going to beat me at one thing - making an International Flight. I don't think I'd have the courage to try that one!

No I won't !.

I wouldn't try to risk getting through immigration at either the UK or US.

Niya W
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Hmmm I guess Canada does not count as an international flight???

Hmm checks flag. What do you know there are 51 stars on it.

Hides.

TxKimberly
04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Hmmm I guess Canada does not count as an international flight???

Hmm checks flag. What do you know there are 51 stars on it.

Hides.

I figure it DOES count 'cause you STILL had to go through customs!