PDA

View Full Version : Do you view CDing as a Fetish???

paulaluvssz8
04-03-2008, 12:31 PM
I know that this is probably just a stupid question. But, Over the years as a part time CDer. The question has come to mind is this just a fetish? And I thougth that I would ask the question here and get your thoughts. Now don't get me wrong. I love the fem side of me(Paula) and hope to find more time and support with it as my journey continues. :hugs:

JoAnnDallas
04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Fetish fashions are sometimes confused with costuming, because both are usually understood to be clothing that is not worn as the usual wardrobe of people, and is instead worn to create a particular reaction..

On some levels CDing can be a fetish. I would say if you CD for sexual gradification only or shock value, then that might be called a fetish. If you like most of us and just like to enjoy getting dressed, going out, blending in, shopping, and having a good time, then no I would not consider a fetish.

CharleneT
04-03-2008, 12:42 PM
This is a great question and I wish I had the time today to give a good answer.... but the short one:

I believe that for many people, it is fetish. I know for me, that is true - to a degree. Not a large part, but true. In a way it is a collection of fetishes: clothing, "looks", underwear, etc. Normally a fetish is a sexually related obsession. In some cases, I'm not sure how many, being a CD is not a sexual thing. It is just a way to express a gender preference. The fact that the majority of CD's are hetrosexuals is, and always will be, confusing to the average person. So, if you suggested to them that it was a fetish, they could maybe understand it better. Now of course, there are still the TG's etc... ooooo.... this could be a long talk! Arrgggg... must head back to work.

Alana65
04-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Is CD'ing a fetish ? :hugs:

I do not do it for any kind of sexual gratification, so for me, the short answer is........NO.

Deborah Jane
04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
It,s not a fetish for me.
I c/d because it makes me feel complete on many differant levels...[Not sexual!!]

ChanDelle
04-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Well Paula,

According to Dictionary.com, the Psychology definition says: "Any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation."

So...I guess I'd have to say there's some element of that definition in cross dressing. But, and I wish I had a bigger Butt, I'm not sure that to define cross dressing as a fetish is very accurate. There are some articles that perhaps have "fetish" qualities for me and sometimes erotic response, but overall the long term pleasure is more embracing as a feminine feeling of comfort and contentment. Perhaps others may take me to task, and I generally agree with the previous postings.

Great question!

ChanDelle

Erica Lauren James
04-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Nope!!! But maybe I'm Addicted. I love dressing as a girl!!

Erica

Vanessac48
04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I just love the feeling of dressing, and appearing to be a woman. I love the sense of well-being I get when I'm wearing women's clothes, make-up etc. I think it is a stress reducer. When I am dressed I feel so relaxed, no tension, so comfortable. It still boggles my mind, that women can't wait to get the make-up off, let the hair down, get the bra off, the heels off, and for me, I can't wait to get in them! It is sometimes depressing to have to take everything off, and yet other times, it's ok. Certainly though, at least for me, I'm way more relaxed as a woman, and as much as I like the look on me, I think the reality is, it is a great sense of calm, that is perhaps the most hidden reason why I love to dress, more internal, than external in that respect. So externally, I love the look I can create of being a woman, and internally, I love the peaceful calming effect it has on my being.

Joanne f
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
If i had to call it anything i would call it a compulsion .

joanne

tricia_uktv
04-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Paula, according to the "experts" it all depends when you started doing it. If you started during puberty then it probably is a fetish. But then I don't believe the "experts" and we are all different anyway

Kate Simmons
04-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Nope, just a form of expression for me.:)

Amy Hepker
04-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I used to, but not anymore. I used to get turned on by dressing, now I get a wonderful feeling and it has nothing to do with sex.

Daphne7
04-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Sometimes i think CDing is a fetish and sometimes i think its not a fetish.

IS: because its a fixation with a sexual turn-on

ISN'T: because CDer's feel completion when dressing that isn't related to sexual turn-on

FUZZY LINE: items of fixation become associated with the good feelings they produce so just wearing the clothes releases feel good brain chemicals (without sexual arousal) A person can become physically addicted and no longer feels complete without the items of fixation.

Behavioral conditioning and reinforcement.

A cycle that loops back in on itself.

bEEb
04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Yup.

Sam-antha
04-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Right in the beginning, all those years ago, yes it was fetistishtic ( New word).
Now it is just getting dressed with a different outfit expressing the other me.
Simple ?

~Samm

Eugenie
04-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Early on, I thought that my crossdressing was some kind of fetishism... Although I didn't know the word at that time... :heehee:

In fact that was also the oint of view of my wife when I told her soon afeter our wedding... (I didn't tell her before as I thought it would go away after havinh regular sexual relations)

And indeed, for a long time I would only wear girdles or "all in one" girdles.

It was only a few years later that I started to wear other women clothes on top of the underwear... That's also when my wife became far less understanding...

Right now I almost never dress as a fantazy. I only dress "en femme" to feel good, do all sorts of very mundane things... Reading, using my computer, doing house chores, cooking, going to the restaurant with some friends, etc...

Now, I only use x-dressing as a fantazy when I feel sexualy excited. In which case my x-dresser's attire is quite different from the one I use in general... Agressively ****ty, just a man's fantazy...

:hugs:
Eugenie

tracie674
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
after almost 50 years I still get very sexually turned on by dressing. I think about dressing almost all the time. Fetish?, compulsion?, whatever, just enjoy it!!

sterling12
04-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Very seldom have I not met a Cd who didn't have "preferences." Usually, it was a preference for a particular piece of clothing or enhancement. I.E. stockings, pantyhose, heels, certain styles of wigs, or certain styles of clothing. I don't know that all those preferences had a sexual connotation to them, (and that's the classic definition of fetish). But they seem to be a big part of the thrill for that individual.

On the other hand, for many of us, Cd is a "lifestyle." Either part time or full time. Now the question becomes is a preference or a lifestyle a fetish? I would conjecture that the answer might be "perhaps." Perhaps they would be, if they cannot be given up when they become impediments to the overall quality of life.

For me, it's not a fetish. Rather than an impediment, I think of my "preferences" as an enhancement to my lifestyle! For others, the situation might be the exact opposite. So maybe the label can only be applied to an individual...BY CHOICE. Gets really hard to use these labels, when we speak in generalities.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Kimberly Marie Kelly
04-03-2008, 05:20 PM
At times I dress for the sexual excitement and most other times I dress because it is more comfortable and relaxing. There is a fetish part but also just a comfort thing, a stress relief. The more I dress the less of a fetish it becomes for me.:battingeyelashes:

Dee Jay
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm with Kimberly on this one.

It used to be a massive turn on, but these days it just feels right.... I still get slightly turned on occasionally when putting on something special, or sexy, but that not why I do it. I wear female clothing because It feels right, more comfortable. I feel more complete, more at ease with life when dressed.

I do have fetish wear... PVC dresses, maids outfits, schoolgirl etc etc etc, but mainly my crossdressing isn't for fetsish reasons.

So yes it can be a fetish but it's not all of the time.

DJ

Helen MC
04-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Personally, yes. Although at home I feel far more at ease wearing a skirt, blouse etc.

These days however i would never "pass".

Kimberleighann
04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I would say no. I think that it is letting me show the world the real me and how I feel inside. There is gradification but it is not sexual at all.

Kimberleigh Ann

gagirl1
04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
for me i would say it's a little bit of both worlds. i get sexual satisfaction from it, but it is also very relaxing, like someone said above. it's a way to freely express myself, emotionally and sexually.

TGMarla
04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Fetish? Hmm....I think not. Addiction, perhaps is closer to it. It has, for me, many of the earmarks of an obsession or an addiction.

shirley1
04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
i wonder if some women get a sexual thrill from wearing a short skimpy outfit ! i would imagine some do - surely it depends a bit on what your wearing - a short tight lycra mini skirt with 4 inch heels could still turn me on a bit - after all if i saw a gg wearing the same thing it would turn me on - but yeh i agree the need and relaxation from dressing is definately more important to me these days

NicoleScott
04-03-2008, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't call cd-ing a fetish, but for some (myself included) it is in large part driven by fetish. For as long as I can remember I have had a strong fetish for high heels and deep red lipstick. More recently, long eyelashes and heavy makeup. Those things still individually excite me, and they are also part of the total dressup. I wear panties and pantyhose as part of my dressup, but they bring no special excitement. Still, everything femme is important to me, taking their places in the total experience. I know other cd's are not driven by fetish, but rather by having a femme identity, and living it, in part, by crossdressing. I'm not one of those, so I know little about that drive.

LilSissyStevie
04-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Yes! Absolutely! It's a fetish and I'm loving every minute of it.:D

JackieS
04-03-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't get turned on by dressing, so from that point of view it is not a fetish. If anything, I feel more relaxed dressed than at any other time. That being said, all my sexual fantasies involve me being dressed. I think this is just because my sexual identity is tied to my feminine side. I can't recall ever having a fantasy where I was in male mode. Though being turned on always involves being dressed, it is not the clothes that turn me on. So, I don't consider it a fetish, for me.

Carly D.
04-04-2008, 09:26 AM
the fetish for me is high heel shoes... I just couldn't get enough, and will go to any number of sites (shoe) to see them and drool.. same with pantyhose or tights...

Kayla_CD
04-04-2008, 09:31 AM
For me it is definitely a fetish. It's fun and a sexual charge.

Crissy Kay
04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
For me it is definitely a fetish. It's fun and a sexual charge.

I would have to mostly agree with Kayla. But as I grow older,like others here have said, I do find it more relaxing, then stimulating!!! The charge is still there at times ,when I look in the mirror!!!!!!!

Angie G
04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
No it's not. It's something I juut love it. :hugs:
Angie

docrobbysherry
04-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Sexually exciting and stimulating, yes. A compulsion and obsession also? Yes. CDing to relax and be comforted? Not very often, and NOT if I'm doing it rite!

Cassy11
04-04-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't dress to try to pass or go clubing. I dress for me. I can feel relaxed with a dress in full makeup and wig, other times it's fine to just wear slacks and a pair of flats and be male from the waist up. There is no one item I wear that I would classify as fetish.

cindichicago
04-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Well I have to admit I get very turned on when I dress. So I guess it's a fetish for me

Cindi

DeeDeeB
04-04-2008, 02:05 PM
But not usually. Like most of the girls, I just enjoy the look and feel of being dressed up in a pretty dress, heels, makeup and such. Sure, it is sexual, but not so much a turn on.

It does bring up an interesting point for me, however. I was disappointed by Dr Ruth, who called crossdressing a fetish on her show. No question, that was it. No wonder we're confused when even the therapists don't get it. I don't need or want to be "fixed", I just need help in dealing with society's view of who I am. I guess that's why I'm here, and I'm extremely grateful for all the insight.

Dee :fairy3:

Mary Morgan
04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
If you dress to blend as a woman I do not see it as fetishistic, and reject that label. On the otherhand, if you dress to be provokative and that is the only way you dress, then perhaps the label fits. I do judge and choose not to be judged. In the end, I dress because I want to and need to for me, not for anyone else.

carhill2mn
04-04-2008, 02:40 PM
It is not a fetish for me. I try to emulate a woman to the best of my ability.

paulaluvssz8
04-04-2008, 04:16 PM
This is great. thanks for all your insite on my silly little question. I do get both a turn on and a sence of fulfillment out of dressing. So again you all are awesome.:)

MarinaTwelve200
04-04-2008, 05:26 PM
CDing is done by folks as a response to several DIFFERENT and often unrelated psychological conditions. The wearing of clothing of the opposite sex may be the only common element.

Some CD because they have a fetish for clothing, Some CD to dissassoiate from their Male or personal identity, SOME CD to "get IN TOUCH with what they beleive is their "real" self or "identity".

Some CD as part of Masochistic urges, some CD for the RUSH associated with breaking aocial or psychological Taboos, some CD because they are , to a degree , Transsexual.

As to the question, YES, CD can be a fetish, IF the CDer HAS a fetish condition. But CD can be for other reasons too, just as one can have a cough or fever for different reasons.

CharleneT
04-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I knew this was going to be a good discussion ! I'll toss in the more common definitions for "fetish" :

1. An object that is believed to have magical or spiritual powers, especially such an object associated with animistic or shamanistic religious practices.

2. An object of unreasonably excessive attention or reverence: made a fetish of punctuality.

3. Something, such as a material object or a nonsexual part of the body, that arouses sexual desire and may become necessary for sexual gratification.

4. An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment; a fixation.

My guess is that #4 would fit many people here, no doubt some who do not think of dressing as a fetish. I think the word itself causes strong reactions, both negative and mysterious. How much #3 plays into cross dressing I think depends both on the person and the point they are at in their CD/TG experience. Early on, as many above have said, there is likely a strong sexual component to the experience. As time goes on, you adapt to those feelings and develop deeper and more permanent reactions to dressing. In many cases it loses its sexual component or that is at least reduced. It would be accurate to describe that process as a form of "maturity". I suspect that for those who have to be very closeted, the dressing may more easily maintain its fetishistic aspects.

skirtsuit
04-04-2008, 06:21 PM
It definately a fetish for/to me. I'm glad it's a harmless and legal one, and thankfully, because of thrift stores, fairly harmless to the wallet, too.

All the Best,
Skirt Suit

danielle_from_cal
04-04-2008, 06:32 PM
It's an interesting question. I don't think of it as one for me, but I can understand how others might see it that way. It certainly would not fit the Webster's dictionary definition (I just looked it up).

For some reason I have always thought of fetishes as involving leather of some sort (and maybe a whip). But, oh well. I really don't know so I will just hit "Submit Reply".

Lara Smith
04-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Daphne said, “Sometimes I think CDing is a fetish and sometimes I think its not a fetish.

IS: because its a fixation with a sexual turn-on

ISN'T: because CDer's feel completion when dressing that isn't related to sexual turn-on

FUZZY LINE: items of fixation become associated with the good feelings they produce so just wearing the clothes releases feel good brain chemicals (without sexual arousal) A person can become physically addicted and no longer feels complete without the items of fixation.

Behavioral conditioning and reinforcement.

A cycle that loops back in on itself.”

My take.

I agree with many on many levels about what this is. One thing I believe it is for all of us, is fluid. It changes, we change, and our acceptance of ourselves and our needs evolves. Our sexual response changes.

Still and all, and all things considered, I believe it boils down to a “femininity fetish” of one form or another regardless of what stage we are in with this wonderful gender gifted thing we call cross dressing.