PDA

View Full Version : Why does the media ignor us

Sasha Anne Meadows
04-03-2008, 01:17 PM
The Internet has confirmed that the number of cross dressers around the world is vast and varied. We come from all occupational, social, religious and political catagories. Yet almost nothing is ever written about us in the media. True there is an occasional story about someone adopting to living as the opposite gender as part of going through SRS and an perhaps a bizarre story about the high school principal arrested for DUI in drag. But for the most part we are merely ignored. Why haven't the media discovered us?

Kate Simmons
04-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Not sensational enough Sasha. We are only trying to understand ourselves and others, where's the headline grabber in that? Not to mention most people don't get it unless it appears to be an abberation. Now, how many people got killed today in war, disasters or accidents or which public official or movie star jaywalked--that's news! Sad really.

Shelly Preston
04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
We are gradually being featured more and more in television programs

It also seems we are in more normal roles

Bev06 GG
04-03-2008, 02:21 PM
The Internet has confirmed that the number of cross dressers around the world is vast and varied. We come from all occupational, social, religious and political catagories. Yet almost nothing is ever written about us in the media. True there is an occasional story about someone adopting to living as the opposite gender as part of going through SRS and an perhaps a bizarre story about the high school principal arrested for DUI in drag. But for the most part we are merely ignored. Why haven't the media discovered us?

Welcome to the real world of women Sasha. You get used to it in the end. Lets face it how many CDs want media attention any how, most of them prefer to be anonymous and live in the closet.
Bev

DanaR
04-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Which is a little boring of television.

Shelly Preston
04-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Which is a little boring of television.

I did say more nornal not completely

Things like some CD ending up in hospital after an accident

Kieron Andrew
04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Personally i think it would be a GOOD thing if the Media DID ignore us and let us merge into society, because the type of attention CDs usually get is bad press anyway

Deborah Jane
04-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I think unless one of us does something to get attention we aren,t regarded as newsworthy. I would doubt the headline "Man walks down the street dressed as a woman!" would sell any extra newspapers.
Also the Agony Aunts don,t seem to regard what we do as being a particular problem in itself, normally saying something like "lots of guys dress as women in private".
Maybe we are just slowly being accepted as not that unusual or anything special!!

Kieron Andrew
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Maybe we are just slowly being accepted as not that unusual or anything special!!

and of course thats a good thing! right?

Deborah Jane
04-03-2008, 02:49 PM
and of course thats a good thing! right?

Exactly!! I think thats what most of us would prefer!

lucya_od
04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
well look at it this way, they just think we are normal woman having normal lives. love lucya, xxxxxxx

tricia_uktv
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Do we need the media? I think yes because it would help the young transgendered people coming behind us understand what we didn't.

How do we do it? Advertise ourselves if we are brave enough. The media love stories about us because nobody really understands us.

I don't think were ignored. I just think we need to do it better and be more organised

Amy Hepker
04-03-2008, 03:41 PM
They don't ignore us they try to exploit us and show the world how bad we are.

Joanne f
04-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Like Salandra has said , not sensational enough plus the fact that you have so many different types of CD all wanting their own type of freedom , if you take out the closet Cd and the fetish Cd at one end then the Tg at the other end it leaves you with a few in the middle which on the most part want to merge in quietly, in one sense it is the diversity of cding that is the one thing against us all wanting something slightly different.
I know from the past that i should not make comparisons so i am just using this group of people for a lose comparison, if you look at the gay scene you are ether gay or not so when they are fighting for gay rights it just means one thing , but if you started to fight for cross dressing rights it would mean different things to different people so could you ever get everyone to agree where to start and how .

joanne

Eugenie
04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
There was a nice long paper on crossdressing in "Paris Match" in December 2005". Were featured members of the ABC (Association Beaumont Continental) which is primarily for crossdressers even though a few members are also transsexuals.

Recently the French and the Belgian television have independently produced programmes on crossdressing which were portraying it rather positively.

Crossdressing was also mentionned in another television show on "What is virility today?" Among the examples of different virility was a crossdresser. Again the presentation was rather positive.

In Belgium there is also a reality show about a makeover destined to women who would like to improve their look. One of the participants is a crossdresser... I call that real mainstreaming, that is, having a crossdresser participating in a television show that isn't about crossdressing.

These TV shows definitely have an impact on the public. A couple of month ago I went shopping "in drab" at C&A in Brussels. When I mentionned that the skirt and the top were for me, the sales attendent told me" Ah yes... I know, I have seen a television show about people like you..." And she became very friendly with me, giving me plenty of advice on matching the skirt and the top :)...

:hugs:
Eugenie

jaina
04-03-2008, 04:49 PM

because most are to busy hiding to be found.
Hiding from partners, society, work.

Wendy me
04-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Personally i think it would be a GOOD thing if the Media DID ignore us and let us merge into society, because the type of attention CDs usually get is bad press anyway

i think your right ... as people become more open minded as things become more accepted one day it will be no big deal if you want to dress as the opposite gender or for that matter become the opposite gender..........

sterling12
04-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Because we are almost invisible! If a Cd works it right, he can have the best of both worlds. Be a CD when he wants, be all male when that suits the situation. And Most Cds want this situation to remain The Status-Quo...it's in their best interests.

TS Sista's haven't got any choice. 24/7 means you have to be visible. The Gay Community simply got tired of hiding and being harassed. So they got politically active and now they have a general grudging tolerance.

I have said it before, we could have instant recognition. It's real simple, tomorrow or some day next week, millions of us suddenly hit the street and proclaim our status. Then, we start asking for our Rights!

However, don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Things are going to have to get lots worse, before most anybody will do anything. A few brave individuals, a scrimmage here or there, but 99.999% will hide and do nothing. Don't get fooled by Daytime Talk Shows either. Aside from our value when "Sweeps Week" rolls around, " Wow martha, look at The Freaks," the media has no use for us. And,THAT'S WHY WE GET IGNORED!

Peace and Love, Joanie

karen278
04-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I am surprised the media have not gone hell for leather to find as many CDs who are in positions of power as possible, to out and ridicule. Surely this would be easy money for the paparazzi. If they can chase minor celebrities there must be a few politicians in this country (not the New York mayor whose name slips my memory and I can not be bothered to look up) that are CDs . Maybe the Media people are all CDers and that is why they do not chase us. Are there any Media people reading this who are CDs, I guess they would not own up for fear of being chased and photographed. Are there any politicians who are reading this that would like to make a comment.

pamisme
04-03-2008, 05:53 PM
The other year A.B.C. had a show on from N.Y. about a place called lighthouse. it was about TGs But thy did a good job about
it and not a butcher job.

Pam:D

Alice B
04-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Get fully dressed and then go out and do something really stupid. Then the media will notice. Otherwise just enjoy being who you are, when you can.

SweetCaroline
04-03-2008, 06:38 PM

I have a feeling that, it time, it will happen. We will get positive media exposure. As long as it's on our terms, and not on theirs. And as long as it's not of the Jerry Springer variety of exposing transgendered, that only leads to further ignorance and miss-education.

We're out there. We're proud. But we ain't in the news because we ain't breaking laws, but behaving ourself, and the media has no interest in that sort of thing.

Kate Simmons
04-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Thinking about this, I do recall some years back when they used to hold the "Paradise in The Poconos" annual CD event near where I live. I wasn't "out" at the time but a local TV news station did have coverage of it and talked with some of the folks. I felt it was done in a very tasteful, informative and professional way. The event has since been moved to Maryland, so I'm not sure if it gets any coverage there.:)

Kimberleighann
04-03-2008, 06:49 PM
As some one that works in marketing, it all comes down to money. If they can't find an angle that makes them money or rating them media does not care about it.

Kimberleigh Ann

Nicki B
04-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Certainly on television in the UK, more and more trans people seem to be popping up, whether on Big Brother, quiz shows, Dirty Sexy Money (which just started over here) or this week's latest reality show, Breaking Into Tesco (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=22658521)? (See the comments about Winnie, at the bottom - do I need to explain Lily Savage (http://www.lovefilm.com/browse/contributor/59078/Lily_Savage.html)?)

Don't we just want to be part of the ordinary fabric, rather than the freak show? :)

joann07
04-03-2008, 09:08 PM
The media doesn't ignore us, although there are more tv shows featuring crossdressers, but the majority of the time we're viewed negatively in the news because that's what makes a story and grabs the viewers attention.
There have been stories in the past, such as, that volunteer firefighter caught running around in a park all drunk and wearing a bikini.
Then in Des Moines Iowa, there was a robber, in drag, who got arrested after his pantyhose got caught in chicken wire.
Or how about the crossdresser in Polk County Florida who tried to solicit a child. He was video taped coming in and out of a convenience store.

These people do not represent the majority of us law abiding and decent crossdressers, but it's news like that continuously give us a negative image that we're predators, molesters, criminals, perverts, etc, etc.

TxKimberly
04-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I like it that way. The only time they talk about us is when its a story like those you described. somebody did something bad while dressed. You don't hear about the TG that stops to pick up a mother and her three children and give them a ride home when their car failed, or the TG that helps the grandparents that were stranded when their car broke down midway between Houston and Dallas on the way home from their grand daughters graduation, or . . . you get the picture. No, all you hear about is the pro-boxer found in drag, or the sports announcer, or the city councilman. All hear about are the prominent people that they want to make a mockery of.
I'd be thrilled if they left us alone . . .

victoriamwilliams1
04-03-2008, 09:44 PM
They don't ignore us they try to exploit us and show the world how bad we are.

Also in the exploits they also tend to find a person who says they are TG/CD and at times they find the worst photo of them dressed.

I wont talk about Maury, Springer and Oprah.

Shelly67
04-04-2008, 05:59 AM
This is a bit heavy a truely horrifying watch , but inkeeping with the question on media ......

Lets face it , the media does,nt ignore us . It only strives to sell us with placebos of usless information , fear and glutony ...( blimey soap box time ) At times we,ve even been a blatant joke .
Recently my wife pointed out ( I hardly ever read newspapers as I find them over sensationalised and controlling in subconcious behaviour - ie fear - and as Art Garfunkle sang " I get the news I need on the weather report " - end of sermonn ) on many occassions when she,s read the Agony Aunt , or problem page , the subject of crossdressing seems to pop up almost daily . The advice given in response ( unless alcohol or drugs are also an issue ) is so simillar to that given on here I think in general it is becoming more open . At long last . I just wish things would open up further , and make the world aware of how other nations behave towards crossdressing ect .
About a month ago , I watched a programme filmed in Iran by the BBC . It showed how homosexuals , lesbians and crossdressers are totally unaccepted . The country even has moral Policing if where a man or female is found not to be dressed in akin to the correct gender imprisonment and fines are the response .At worst a death by stoning can be ordered .
The programme showed in depth how there is a way to be accepted . A total sex change .
Now for those who really need to have to go thru this reversal of they,re own chioce , I,m so happy , and I hope they can at last find freedom and happiness to be their true selves . But in this programme it showed it was enforced .
The poor men and women are not accepted either before or after surgery , losing family and relations along the way . Most of them , sadly resort to prostitution after surgery just to make a living .
They have to obtain a " marrige certificate " with the client concerned , so the sexual act can take place , for money and is therefore deemed legal . Hypocrasy. The certificate is then after destroyed and the partnership void .
These poor people , both reasigned men and womwn go thru hell alone , often disfigured and emotionally destroyed . On watching this programme my wife wept , I sat there stunned .

How I wish the media would have portrayed this programme in a more printed fashion - newspapers .
And it certaintly would have made for an enlightening read to those who may see all the worlds colourful folks in a different light . May have a few of them thinking about the way people like us , and our choices of lifestyle are treated and accepted or not as well ?

It was aired on BBC 2 at night . There wasnt any surgery scenes , or violence either . It was aired after the water shed time - 9 pm.

I,ll look it up if I can , there must be a way of re watching the programme , and post my findings on here if I,m lucky for those who wish to watch .....

erickka
04-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Joann hit the nail on the head. Most of the media coverage is negative concerning CD's/TG's etc. We already are blasphemised enough in today's society without any help from the mass media market. Maybe someday, we will be viewed as just ordinary people, and not some kind of circus freak show. Until then, we all have each other on this forum!

battybattybats
04-04-2008, 11:16 AM
It wasn't so long ago that the only time you saw goths on tv and film they were bad. In recent years there has been a slew of goth themed kids shows showng the style in a very positive light. Sure they are most often with female characters as the goths or female main characters withmale ones more as sidelines, getting goth guys as much acceptance as goth girls is yet to come.

Still the change is significant.

Economics has a lot to do with it. What rates/sells well gets copied. The more a group is respected as a consumer base the less advertisers and tv companies will want to offend them and the more they will want to encourage, support and celebrate them.

Carly D.
04-07-2008, 10:27 AM
We're not here to take over the world and force everyone to wear womens clothing.. we are like everyone else.. the want to fit in is overwhelming... the want to be accepted.. the want to just fit in.. the want to fit in... the want to fit in...

Shelly67
04-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I only want to be able to be me , without fear of confrontation , humiliation , and at worse violence .
These wishes cover a whole spectrum of life and crossdressing .
There are family members , work collegues , nieghbours and people in general who would probably scorn me , become abusive even over my crossdressing.
I think the media is only concerned with one outlook towards people like me , us , enforcing at times peoples outlook on the subject of a man wearing womens clothing .
We are not conforming to the norm . But , there are many of us .
My answear to that is whats normal anyway ......?

bgirl
04-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I am not so sure that we are ignored.
You could take out CD and insert many different things like chess player or auto mechanic model airplane nut or whatever. I AM SURE THEY FEEL NEGLECTED TOO! Google Nadia's Transgender Rant. She has the knack of finding all the transgender events the media has to offer.
We are not yesterdays news! Just not front page news too often. Besides the media seems to always exploit the extremes.
Dog bites CD? Good Dogey.........CD bites dog, now thats news.
WILD DOG BITING CD LOOSE IN CITY!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruth
04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't think the media ignores us. But neither does it wish us well. Someone used the word "exploit" and that's the key. We are merely fodder for the news machine. If there's a lurid story that will sell a few newspapers, grab a few viewers, then we're on.
Also, because of the largely secretive nature of CDers, there is no identifiable large purchasing power associated with us. We are not a target for advertisers. If we were, it would be a very different story.

Angie G
04-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I think it just isn't of that much interest to most people.:hugs:
Angie

Chryl
04-07-2008, 08:26 PM
how bout, a lot of them a crossdresers, don't want to admit it, so then they put us down to cover for themselves, the biggest, loudest usually have somthing to hide

Cheryl

trannie T
04-07-2008, 08:31 PM
The media do not ignore us. There are a couple of reasons we are rarely noticed, 1) The great majority of us are hidden deep in the closet and would run screaming in terror from a photographer or reporter, and 2) We rarely do anything of interest.

Stargirl
04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Most of what we call the media is garbage. I was in a dentist chair today watching FOX news on his TV wide screen. Imagine FOX covering crossdressing ? There was something about kids crossdressing for school. It was really stupid, as in FOX brand stupid, which is the epitome of stupid. My lidocaine is wearing off. I think we deserve better coverage than regular TV, or Dr. Laura style "explanations". I am amazed by the number of people who actually follow such detritis. We need to be shown in a bright,and kind light. We should be writing our own books, and telling our own stories.

Melanie R
04-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Some of the media coverage has been positive. Here is the link to a segment with may wife and I featured on WE, Women's Entertainment channel, Secret Lives of Women - Married to Crossdressers. I will put the other segments on You Tube later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-1c5LPilzA&feature=email.

Hugs,

Melanie

Katie Ashe
04-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Why does the media ignore us... Probly cause those in in the media spot lite are getting caught and going to jail :o Then those stupid enough, try to sue the state for SRS because of their incarseration, what a dildo...

Face it there is not enough good drama to be put in the paper about us.