PDA

View Full Version : Coming out through shopping?

Pandora
04-04-2008, 12:53 AM
LONG POST ALERT!!! Sorry, but I’m in a writing kind of mood tonight.

So I took my next baby step last night and it turned out to be more of a leap (for me anyway). Through the encouragement from many pretty ladies here I’ve been ramping up my shopping in public (in drab, never been out dressed yet). I‘ve taken little steps of buying pantyhose with the groceries and some jewelry on another occasion. No big deal there. Last night I went to TJ Maxx and worked up the courage to at least walk through the women’s clothes section just browsing. That would have been a good baby step for me. But oh no, I just couldn’t leave it alone.

I didn’t really see anything I liked so I left and went to Sears about an hour before closing. Parking lot and store were pretty empty. After picking out a mens sweater for myself which was on clearance, I took a look over to the women’s dept, saw two GG sales clerks talking to each other and decided to just take a dive in. I took a deep breath, walked on over through lots of racks of clearance sweaters and blouses and just took my time browsing and pulling items out to check their size. After about 5 minutes one of the girls came over and asked if I needed help with anything. This was the point in my mind when I thought I would turn bright red, start stammering and then run out of the store. However, something surprising happened. I felt totally relaxed, gave her a big smile, looked her right in the eyes and said “no thanks, just looking.” To my surprise she didn’t alert security or run off laughing. “ok, let me know if you do.” She smiled back and walked away. Maybe I was emboldened by the fact that I was pretty much the only customer in the store on this slow night, but looming large on the horizon I knew whatever I picked out I would have to take to the front register and pay for, so no escaping unseen. I found a very pretty white-pink sweater that was the right size and felt dreamy to the touch. So soft with a nice cowl neck and very feminine. This is it, no stopping now.

I was about to walk up to the register with my two sweaters that fit my two sides when I took a look towards the intimates. Dare I? One more deep breath and dove right in. After reading the thread about sleeping enfemme I had really been wanting to get a soft frilly satiny nightgown or sleepshirt. (Cue the spotlight shining down on one particular rack.) There it was. Pink satin and white lace with short sleeves and about knee length. Perfect. Not the highest quality but on clearance for $8 so you don’t hear me complaining. I found my size and added it to my growing collection.

Now for the moment of truth as the store was almost closing. Had I really been browsing for close to an hour? Up to the front register where I thought for sure I’d get stuck going through the only lane in a group of burly hairy guys wearing John Deere hats and buying camouflage hunting gear and ammo. Once again though, I’m the only one around. The cashier was a slightly plump middle aged lady who looked a bit tired and probably just wanted to finish her shift. Again my mind painted the picture of me turning red, stammering, throwing a big wad of bills at her and running out of the store while clutching my new pink nightie and not getting my change. Police and local media would then swoop into the parking lot surrounding my car and taking pictures. Front page news for sure. However, once again I surprised myself by being totally relaxed, smiling calmly and making small talk with the cashier who looked at me a bit sideways while scanning the nightie, but was nice overall. In my mind this was pretty much coming out to a total stranger. Judging from her body language she had to have known or at least suspected. I told her I loved winter clearance deals as she bagged my items than handed me my receipt. That was it. Earth shattering eh?

Sleeping that night in my new pink dream was blissful and a bit sweeter than if I had just bought it online. A sense of contentment and triumph had washed over me. Big thanks to all who have been so kind to me since I joined here. I think I’m on a roll now!

Yawn. Time for another night of sleeping in pink. Sweet dreams all. :hugs:

Eugenie
04-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Good for you that you took this step forward in expressing your crossdressing through buying women clothes and underwear directly in a department store.

Your experience should make you feel more confident for the next time... And just for information buying women clothes is legal :heehee: So, unless you steal the stuf, no risk that the police would be called:D

the cashier who looked at me a bit sideways while scanning the nightie, but was nice overall. In my mind this was pretty much coming out to a total stranger. Judging from her body language she had to have known or at least suspected.
The "sideway look" of the cashier when she scanned the nightie is more likely to have been caused by her imagining that you were planning a hot session with your wife/girl friend than her guessing that it was for you. "This man is buying it for his wife/girl friend" is the first hypothesis sales attendents and cashier make...

:hugs:
Eugenie

Angie G
04-04-2008, 02:10 AM
Well hun there is no stoping you now you go girl. :hugs:
Angie

Chari
04-04-2008, 06:43 AM
That adventure was a giant leap for you! Most SAs don't care who you are or what you buy, only that you buy $omething. Also, ask for a gift receipt for purchases. When you try it on at home and decide it's not you, it is easier to return the item, but remember some "sale" items may not be returnable. Continue to keep your attitude high and your confidence even higher!

Enjoy life, Chari

Kristen Marie
04-04-2008, 06:52 AM
I think you perfectly described the first shopping experience. It is amazing... but you did not die. It felt natural. And time does fly when you are browsing. I love holding a skirt up to me to simulate a fit or hooking the hanger of a blouse on the end of the rack and stepping back and looking at it. Watch how other ladies shop and you'll get a feel for the joy they have.

I bet your next step will involve an encounter with a female shopper while you are browsing. I know your eyes will meet at some time...so what do you say? Maybe, as you are holding an item...something like....I love this color...or sales are always fun. You would be amazed at how much fun it can be as you interact normally with people.

Well done!!!!

Janet Bern
04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Great start. I have been shopping and buying womens clothes for years (20 or more) I have never had a problem checking out or lately even trying on clothes when I shopped. All the SA's have been helpful. The more of us that suck it up and say "Its for me" the more accepted we will be.

DeeDeeB
04-04-2008, 03:25 PM
You go girl!!!

I've been buying my wife's clothes for close to 30 years, so when I started shopping for Dee 6 years ago, the transition was easier, though not without its stressful moments. I've also shopped for my wife's cosmetics, pantyhose and intimates (Dee's too, of course).

Bottom line is, no-one in the store knows who you are shopping for, and no-one really cares. Sometimes in line waiting to pay, another customer will comment on how pretty the skirt (dress, shoes, whatever) I've selected is. I usually reply, yes, isn't it? Keep a smile and a confident air. After all, we're not doing anything wrong.

And, I have great respect for those of you who can be open about your CDing. I'm not there yet, but think I may be getting closer.

Dee :belly:

tricia_uktv
04-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Brill Pandora. It is great fun and I promise you will get stronger and stronger with it. Next stage is to tell the assistant up front that the clothes are for you but that will take a while. In the meantime have fun. You've done it once and enjoyed it, I'm sure you'll do it again.

And yes, it is a good way of coming out,

Hugs,

deja true
04-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Great story, Pandora!

Don't apologize for a long post. You're a great writer and, besides, you know we want to hear all the details.

Hardly anyone here has ADD!

deja

Misty_VA
04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Pandora,

Congratulations on your recent shopping trip.

Misty

danielle_from_cal
04-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Great story. My palms are sweating just thinking about some of my experiences shopping for clothes. Nothing ever went wrong, but I sure was nervous. I was less nervous the first time I went shopping dressed as a woman.

Anyway, congrats on taking the big step. You have entered a new phase of your life, and that is always exciting.

Karen C
04-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Ive been buying things since I was 18 or so ive spent hundreds if not thousands of dollors over the years. Ive throwen things away and said never agin . and months later gone out and bought more .Ive come to the conclusion that im a Crossdresser and proud of that and I love the colors and the feel of slikey things . pleats and heals and the way they make me feel . I like who I am and there right its not a crime to spend your hard earned money on what ever you want and its not drugs or gambeling and it doesnt hurt any one and just makes you feel good and whats wrong with that -Nothing .

Sorry I was on a rant but I had to say that and had to tell someone .
I have to go now im crying .:cry:
good going enjoy your shoping spree

AmberDay
04-05-2008, 12:21 AM
I know how nerve-racking (<--did I spell that right?) shopping for women's clothes can be. I have no nervousness when it comes to buying clothes for my wife and sometimes it is hit and miss with myself. Sometimes I can look at everything and not care if anybody notices :) , and then others I abort the second I hit the lingerie section. :o I went to walmart once and found a white lacy teddie with garter straps on clearence for only ten dollars or so. The cashier asked if it was for my wife. I said no, my wife doesn't wear lingerie, that is for me. :eek: Hey, she asked. Don't ask if you don't want an answer :heehee:

regards,

Amber

Lara Smith
04-05-2008, 12:58 AM
The first time I went shopping for girl things as a man, my chest was pounding and I have to say I was filled with a good deal of fear. But I was very bored with what was available online at the time, E-bay was not around yet, and I wanted some very specific things. I found a K-Mart that was in a large town about 100 miles away and in a part of that town I would never likely be in again for any reason. (other than to shop there again)

I took my time, ignored any looks by shoppers in the crowded store and picked out several skirts and tops before heading to the lingerie department where I carefully chose exactly the (many) panties and bras that I wanted.

By the time I reached the check out counter I had quite a pile of women's things. I stood in line outwardly calm and heart still pounding. The salesgirl who was about my age (mid 30's at the time) never batted an eyelash, I paid my considerable bill and left. In the end, the hardest part was the drive home because I couldn't wait to try everything on in all the combinations before my SO came home and found me.

As it turns out, most of the items were Jaclyn Smith things, and to this day my favorite bras and panties (except for some vintage E-bay items) are hers from that shopping day. She designed and marketed wonderfully feminine things.

Kristen Kelly
04-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Great for you, each time out is a step, push your limit of comfort past it's bounds. Three years ago I walking out that door for the first time,(other than Halloween) it gets easier every time. Back then I would post about all the things I would do each step built my confidence. I encourage everyone to get out if you can, I'm not totally passable but blend well go everywhere and anywhere I want, I supprise myself still how ez it is to go unnoticed blending in with the GG's out shopping, for groceries or to the mall.

Confidence and mannerisms will take you farther than you think. Take a seat in center court of the local mall, in drab if you must, and watch the show go by. Watch the teenage grils how they act, some not very feminine, and the older GG's some look less feminine than you do. All eyes are not on them, they blend into the crowd....they belong there and you should feel the same way, and 1 day you will. Looks, Mannerisms, Confidence, takes all 3 most of all get out and have fun