PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying "cronehood"

Kate Simmons
04-06-2008, 05:06 AM
When we think of a crone, we perhaps get the mental picture of a wizened old woman walking around with a cane babbling to herself or even possibly an old gal with a green face, pointed hat and a broom who says cackling to scared little girls:"I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too." "It ain't necessarily so" says this particular old crone and I'm enjoying it immensely even though I may not be dressing the part these days.

The key is always being true to yourself and never being ashamed of who you are. Even if you don't go out there all dolled up, the spirit of who we are can shine through and you can inspire others to have a lot of fun and be in touch with themselves and who they are regardless. I know this because I can go out there and be Salandra without necessarily being Salandra and feel complete and fulfilled as a person while helping others along the way.:battingeyelashes:

So, what's the trick? Really, there is none other than being totally free to be yourself and showing others it is possible. No smoke, no mirrors, no glitz, no glitter. Impossible, you say? Boring, you say? Not a chance at least for this old "biddy". It's a feeing of total satisfaction that you cannot understand until you get there, broomstick not withstanding. Now lemme see, just where did I put that cauldron, cat?:heehee:

sweet_pea_07
04-06-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm an 'old biddy' and proud of it!!!!!!!

O2B Barbara
04-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Not sure I fit the "old crone" category, Bitch on occasion, but don't feel old enough to fit the old category although I can get the senior discount at places! I think you bring out a lot of great points. I was a bit of and "old fart" for many years untill I came clean with myself and accepted who I am and where I want to go. So much easier to just be me and not what others think I should be.

jessielee
04-06-2008, 07:39 AM
dear Salandra,
it is ever a joy to read your wisdom.
yes, cronehood is so often stereotyped as something it ain't. like we are too as a class.
considering if the day ever comes when i need to pack myself up into a box in the attic and let drab man run things, what i've learned from you and others about integration and being fully who i am wig or not has been so freeing and uplifting.
it is so good to be in your family circle Sal.
thank you.
love,
jessie

Amy Hepker
04-06-2008, 08:05 AM
I would rather be an old Lady that and old man anyday.

Kate Simmons
04-06-2008, 08:46 AM
I have realized something since I've toned things down somewhat. Previously it seemed others were hesitant to approach me when I was really into things as Sal. Folks tended to put me on a "pedestal" when I was really just having fun expressing and enjoying myself. Being glitzed and glammed up tends to project that I guess. Now that I've shown I can be myself either way, they seem to be able to talk to me more freely and lately others have been more apt to take me into their confidence and ask me for advice. Last night a young gay friend and I spoke for quite awhile as he is interested in CDing and possibly performing. His boy friend, however, does not like him doing it, so we spoke about his feelings in connection with his desire and why his SO is against it. I previously met his SO as Sal. I do think the fact that I was Rich and I was making no pretense of anything either way showed his SO that dressing does not change who you are as a person(unless you allow it to take you over) and it softened his attitude a bit. Things such as this show me the value of truely being yourself, no matter what you do or what you look like.:)

jessielee
04-06-2008, 09:36 AM
precisely what i was tryingto say! not sal the guru but sal the human, living, lovng growing! and traching but celebating existence is key! so, cronehood!
yay!
effervescntly,
jessie

celeste26
04-06-2008, 10:50 AM
When comparing this analogy to the Goddess, the Crone's function as destroyer of life becomes natural rather than sinister. Within her aspects as Virgin and Mother, the Goddess is the giver or bearer of life and the nourisher and protector of life. Since life ends, the function of the Crone is natural and necessary too. In most, if not all, female-oriented religions of nature there are cyclic patterns ruled by karmic balance.

FWIW www.themystica.com

Stargirl
04-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I now look at younger people, and think " I see a future old person ". My body is aging, and they are coming along behind me. It's just a matter of time, and gravity. However, I enjoy wise input from all ages. That's the beauty of getting older. Perspective. We go through changes constantly, and it's nice to be aware of it without too much fear. I recall when I knew that certain articles of clothing just didn't WORK on me any more. I can laugh about it, or implode. I imploded back then, but now I laugh at it.

I recall the rite of passage when I realised that my "rock solid home base" could be taken away by a bulldozer in a few minutes. Nature has a way of tapping us on the shoulder with a "custom designed enlightening tool." I would prefer to be mellow sage than a bitter old hag who hates the world. And by all means, we must keep a love for life itself, and preserve our bodies the best we can. Choose your associates carefully. It's natural to fall into ruts as we age, and by choosing certain people to hang with, we might just avoid becoming big bores to ourselves, as well. The key is to be aware. I hope people of all ages can heed such advice.

docrobbysherry
04-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Why not be both? Maybe I am already. When I grow up, I'll think more about it. Too busy rite now.
Got to find the senior discount movie tickets, head out to desert for rock climbing, and thinking about Sherry's next photo shoot when I get back!

Kate Simmons
04-06-2008, 12:35 PM
All people, regardless of sex or age, need to have a purpose. In the case of those of us with a balanced outlook this is even more true. I certainly do not know everything and never will and am constantly learning from others. As Stargirl ponts out, we can either be bitter about things or embrace who we are and continue to see it as an asset. I choose the latter and even if my time in the femme "spotlight" is over, I value the knowledge I've gained and the experiences I've had. It could always be worse for sure and perspective is everything.:)

Littlej10
04-06-2008, 12:57 PM
It's nice to see Salandra being herself again and happy with it, plus all the wise things that maturity has put into the thoughts of the "crones". I spent much of my time at work with younger people and miss the stimulation that fresh minds bring now that I am retired. Perhaps it's just that I have to work purposfully to keep my mind fit, just as I've always worked to keep my body in good condition, where previously it came almost for free. It must be working because I had a great thought yesterday, unfortunately I can't remember where I put it.
Just a quick question if anyone can help: how can I keep tmy pointed hat on when my broomstick goes into overdrive?

waspookie6
04-06-2008, 01:05 PM
You all are cracking me up and I mean that in a good way as having a sense of humor, it truly is heartening to see many that accept themselves for who they are regardless of what they are wearing or doing at the moment.

I think it is what every human wants to be but is afraid to accept the broomstick with hat and get on with it :daydreaming:

rickie121x
04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
There is no question as to whether I am an "old crone". :madp:

I am, indeed just that, but I continue to masquerade (crossdress) in the guise of one younger and more vital. :belly:

It makes me feel so very good to do that. :) I get such pleasureable and overall enjoyment, excitement and sensual pleasures in that process. :w00t:

...might just as well keep up the act as long as it feels good! :wheelchair:

Rickie, 73 and 4 months. :violin: