PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a femme name

Alex
06-25-2004, 11:13 PM
Hello everyone, I am 24 and have been dressing for a while but I am new to this board. I've always only been able to dress in secret whenever my girlfriend/roomates/parents weren't around.

I was wanting to expand more on that part of my life and give my feminine side an identity. The problem is that I cannot find a good female name to settle on.

I don't wan't to use the feminine version of my birth name. I've heard people make suggestions about naming after friends or girls they liked or even celebrities. Problem is that I don't want to seem like I am trying to be someone famous or someone I already know. I want the female side of me to be like her own person.

Does anyone out there have a good method on coming up with a name? How did some of you get yours?

Lee
06-25-2004, 11:33 PM
Hello Alex,
Welcome to the forum.You will love all the girls.

Well my middle is Lee,I think one of those names your not sure if it is male or female.Then I saw "Lee" spelled "Leah",a little more girly,so now I use that one...

Shy Charlotte
06-26-2004, 12:33 AM
Hi Hon,
I'm not sure if this'll help any, but I got my name from a store at the mall. I'm very lucky to have a beautiful, supportive, young S.O. that helps me shop for my "special clothing needs". Being almost 6' with broad shoulders and big feet, I'm somewhat limited as to what I can wear. So certain stores I frequent often. One store in particular I'd stop by was called "Charlotte Russe", and from the store name my S.O. began calling my alter ego "Charlotte". Up until that point I was just going with the feminization of my name, spelling it Andie, although I like Charlotte much better. Hope this is helpful to you. Remember, your name should be as glamourous and beautiful as you are, and a name has so much power over who we are. The best of luck to you, and be sure to let us know when you finally decide on one.

Hugz & Kisses,
the shy one

Rachel_740
06-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Hi Alex,

I simply chose a femme name that I thought suited me and that I like, simple as that.

Just to give you something else to think about, if your SO was going to have a baby, how would you decide on a name, and what name would you choose. A retorical question, but may give you an idea for naming yourself.

eleventhdr
06-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Quite simply i chose the anme that i would have liked to have been called if and when i had been a real girl. I have alwsays liked the name Suzy Ann so that is what i call my femm self.

diane
06-26-2004, 10:57 AM
That's the beauty of this whole thing. You can be whoever you would like to be. Just pick out a name and try it on for awhile if it fits keep it.

When I was a bit younger I had a crush on one of the most beautiful, feminine, alluring ladies I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. We never had a chance to connect so I could only admire her from afar. Her name? Diane, what else?

So I guess I kind of live out that fantasy girl through my cross dressing ... Diane is now truly my soul mate. And she is as feminine as I want her to be (as long as I don't look in the mirror - LOL)

Janice Ann
06-26-2004, 11:16 AM
I chose Janice- was my first girlfriend back in grade school- she & I played dress up together- and also it can be Jan or Jannie. and the Ann - was added in case there is already a Janice.
It can be anything you want--(wear it with pride) :)
Janice Ann

Bernadina
06-26-2004, 04:54 PM
I chose one of the several feminine versions of one of my birth names then nicknamed it: Bernard --> Bernadina --> Dina

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with picking any name that feels right for you. And if it is also the same name as someone famous or infamous, well that's their problem, not yours.

- Dina

Allison Vamp
06-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Alexis would be the perfect name!

jenny_k78
06-27-2004, 11:34 PM
I had picked out Jenny b/c it just stuck in my mind one day. I'm not real sure why. I go along with Diane, just try a name and if you like it keep it. :)

Beverly591
06-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Hi folks! Some of the older members will remember me as BadBill591 when i first joined...it was a stupid handle from icq that i carried over to here...however, I discovered other CDs were less likely to chat with you if you didn't have a femme name. I wrote another thread about this, arguing that I felt every bit of a CD as anyone else here, but that a certain snobbery existed among some of the members towards guys like me. But anyway, I enjoy this technology which allows us to get together in forums like this and I enjoy chatting with other CDs...very liberating...so I succumbed to picking a femme name (I've always thought Beverly was what I would have liked to have been called had I been born a girl) and created a new profile on Yahoo, one just for when I was Beverly. But wouldn't you know it...about a week later, didn't I correspond with a longtime female friend using the wrong damn identity...she freaked out and i, in another crossdressing panic among many over the years, uninstalled all my identities. Up until now, my secret had never been discovered (even through 15 years of marriage), and i feel a bit miffed that it was only because i succumbed to peer pressure that i was outed like that. But nobody held a gun to my head, and so far nothing too terrible has come of it. Just thought i'd pass that on, for what it's worth. Luv, Bev

AmyH
06-28-2004, 07:10 AM
I choose my name "AmyH" b/c when I was in high school there was a girl named Amy, my real name is Andrew. We had the same last name, no relation, that began with H. In the back they list everyones name and what page there photo appears, ie. clubs, band, sports, class photo, etc. Well except of the class photo, maybe b/c she was a yeat behind me they got out names mixed up. According to the yearbook I was a cheerleader, not that I would not mind wearing the outfits, and she was in the marching band. There were several other mix-ups as well. But that is how I got my name. :rolleyes:

CDKathy
06-28-2004, 07:53 AM
In my case, Keith - Kathy. Simple as that.

Beverly, perhaps if you had simply dropped the "Bad" from your name and gone with Bill you would have had better results here. Whether deserved or not, someone with a handle like "Bad..." conjers up an image many of us simply don't care to associate with.

While it seems to be something of a tradition to use femme names on forums like this, I don't think it is an absolute necessity. For some, the identification with their femme persona is strong enough that it is simply natural to give that persona an appropriate name. Others choose to do so more as a way to post here with some measure of anonymity. I think it just comes down to what you are comfortable with.

As with shoes...if the name fits, wear it. ;)

Elinor
06-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Elinor I felt I was an Elinor so became Elinor I loved the sound and liked the name, I don't know anyone else called Elinor. I choose it six years ago when I came online. :eek:

Davina1489
06-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi I simply took my given name an changed last letter from d to na. female for David I think.??

Jenny
06-29-2004, 12:33 PM
I am not sure how I came up with my femme name, to be honest. It is kind of like my given name but not real close. I always liked the name Jennifer but that sounds a little too formal for my femme self cause I am not a real formal-type person (although I do have a formal prom gown, come to think of it). So Jenny it was. And I have to say I feel real comfortable as Jenny. In fact, lately I have come to think of myself more as Jenny than as my male name. I might slip up one of these days and introduce myself as Jenny if I am not careful. That's me: Jenny from the block. :D

I think Alex could be morphed into some real cute femme name: Alexandra, Alexis, Alexa, Lexie, Allie, etc. Just some thoughts

Alex
06-29-2004, 03:50 PM
I am not sure how I came up with my femme name, to be honest. It is kind of like my given name but not real close. I always liked the name Jennifer but that sounds a little too formal for my femme self cause I am not a real formal-type person (although I do have a formal prom gown, come to think of it). So Jenny it was. And I have to say I feel real comfortable as Jenny. In fact, lately I have come to think of myself more as Jenny than as my male name. I might slip up one of these days and introduce myself as Jenny if I am not careful. That's me: Jenny from the block. :D

I think Alex could be morphed into some real cute femme name: Alexandra, Alexis, Alexa, Lexie, Allie, etc. Just some thoughts

Thanks, those are some good ideas. Alex is actually my middle name, but those are some good morphing selections. Next time I post, it may well be under a different moniker. I am trying to find a decent avatar too.

Tristen Cox
06-29-2004, 04:55 PM
If you want to create a sort of neutral identity not related to famous folk,etc... pick though some names you would like to be called , one that suits the way you feel as a female. Take your time. I took a couple years to come up with mine but it suits who I am as a female and so should yours. If say you called yourself Mary, would you want others to do so? Do you feel like a Mary? (now you'll say 'well I don't know what a Mary feels like'..) The name will feel right when you "don't" question it and you let it be part of you. Scoll through the member list and you'll see some good examples of names. Remember you're a girl and you can always change your mind! LOL!
T.

Shy Charlotte
06-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Hmm, just an idea...

Some people just look like a "Janet", "Mary", "Joan", "Mark" etc.
It'd be hard to picture a girl in a 20's style flapper dress named "Vamp" or "Dagger", and it'd be hard to see a girl wearing a leather skirt, pink wig, and stilletto hip boots named "Mildred". Unlike a given name, you can have a name that fits your persona, (Once knew a skinny little guy with thick glasses named Hunter. At least it wasn't Slash).

If you're still having a hard time picking a name, maybe you can post a picture of yourself and we can throw out some suggestions, and you can pick and choose if you can't think of any you like yourself...

Either way you choose, best of luck.

Hugz & Kisses,
The Shy One

Alex
06-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Hmm, just an idea...

Some people just look like a "Janet", "Mary", "Joan", "Mark" etc.
It'd be hard to picture a girl in a 20's style flapper dress named "Vamp" or "Dagger", and it'd be hard to see a girl wearing a leather skirt, pink wig, and stilletto hip boots named "Mildred". Unlike a given name, you can have a name that fits your persona, (Once knew a skinny little guy with thick glasses named Hunter. At least it wasn't Slash).

If you're still having a hard time picking a name, maybe you can post a picture of yourself and we can throw out some suggestions, and you can pick and choose if you can't think of any you like yourself...

Either way you choose, best of luck.

Hugz & Kisses,
The Shy One

That's another good idea. I like the thought of a poll. Pretty much everyone here has toyed with named more than I have, I i'd really value the opinions i'd get based on my my looks. I agree that the named is best if suited to your dressing style. Unfortunatly, I don't have a wig or much skill with makeup...I also have a bit of facial hair. I fear if I posted my pic asked for names, i'd get stuff like "Gus" or "Trevor" :)

PaulaJeanette
06-30-2004, 06:09 PM
There's nothing wrong with Alex...Just tell folks it is short for Alexandria. I chose PaulaJeanette because the first is a name of a senior girl when was a "suffermore" in high school. The other name is a classmate's who I was really attracted to (but she was taken) and I really like that name anyway.

Paula J.

Dallas
07-07-2004, 11:12 AM
As my name is bi-sexual(!?) I just use my name. I find it is easier to attract my attention too.

Dallas
07-07-2004, 11:22 AM
OK then how bout a raffle?

Madilyn
07-07-2004, 05:21 PM
...thanks for getting it going Alex (although my vote is on Alexa). As far as me...Madilyn was born out of a strong love and admiration for Marilyn Monroe and Madonna. I've followed both of them for many years...

All of Madonna's close friends either call her Madge or Maddy (or Ester now I guess :confused: ), thus:

Maddy + Marilyn = Madilyn :)

I don't see it used very often within the community, and it seems to fit me regardless of the derivation, so Madilyn I am.

As Jenny mentioned, Madilyn can sometimes seem quite formal for the mood I'm in, so I nicked myself Maddy.

Sweetheart, as has been said, you can choose any name you want, but it's most important to be comfortable with who you are as a female and the name will come naturally.

There has been a lot of good advice and suggestions made here already and I can tell your wheels are spinning right now, so take some time, think about it, and show us the new you when you're ready...until then, Alex you shall be.

Good luck and let us know if we can be of further assistance. :)

Kisses,

Maddy :cool:

kristi cd
07-07-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm kind of like Jenny, I just stumbled on Kristi one day, I can't really explain it. :rolleyes:

nicola_j
07-08-2004, 10:03 AM
My femme name is the same as a girl a really fancy that I used to work with - I wander what she would think if she knew I was using it here!

Katie Boundary
07-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Mine's a rather silly geological in-joke. The K/T boundary is the point in the rock strata after which their are no more dinosaur fossils. I'm not sure whether it suits me but I've kind of stuck myself with it now...

Dallas
07-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Well I think its a fine name and I make no bones about it :D

Katie Boundary
07-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh dear... :D

avril
07-16-2004, 01:47 PM
hi girls i got my name from my fav singer ever avril rose lavigne yay avril she rules

Priss
07-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Since Iam a TS, I eventually told my mother. After I did, I asked her if she had ever thought of any names for if I had been born a girl. When I had my name legally changed, that's the name I took for my first name. I chose the name of an aunt who died as a child for my middle name, and then took my mother's maiden name for the last name.

melissa12
03-06-2005, 05:34 PM
i picked my name melissa

Trinity_cat
03-06-2005, 05:46 PM
http://www.behindthename.com/

Try this. You will have to copy and paste as i don't know how to add links.

Hey! It works lol

Casandra
03-06-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm new around here, but I'm confused as to why old threads are revived when perfecly good, and recent threads, are available if you just do a search.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394&highlight=names

Wendy me
03-06-2005, 05:53 PM
maybe thay don't know that yet

Roberta..
03-07-2005, 09:45 PM
"A Rose by any name would look just as good in stockings" to mince a familiar jingle. I think that a name was the easiest of the morph for me. I just added an "a", period, all said and done!

All the suggestions I've seen so far are equally applicable, but in the long run, it will be you that has to live with the moniker, and it should be a name of your choice, whether you use "pick out of the hat", "dartboard", or even use the newspaper, just like Mrs. Doubtfire did. So, just "DO IT". ( But, please don't use "tootsie", because it's already taken!)

Sincerely, Roberta..