PDA

View Full Version : cd or tv

CD Susan
04-10-2008, 11:46 PM
From what I have read on this site in the short time that I have been a member is the term cd used almost exclusively when refering to us. Does this mean the words transvestite, t-girl or tranny are looked at in a negative way? I have always known that I am a tranvestite and have accepted that without question. Now that I am here am I to assume we do not want to be called those names? I can understand words like queer, faggot, fairy or dyke are meant to be used in a negative sense but does this also mean we do not want to be called a transvestite, t-girl or tranny? Actually I have always liked the term t-girl and have referred to myself as such on other web sites similar to this one. Am I really missing something here or not? I would hate to offend someone here so will someone offer insight on this question.

CharleneT
04-10-2008, 11:57 PM
well.....

Jargon is what is often used by a group to find separation between it and the rest of the society around it. In our case, those terms are the ones that are used ... both within and from the outside.

On the outside, I do not think they really have a clue that there are differences between the words and how they might be used. CD for example, I believe, is used as a mild term. It means someone who is cross dressing, likely only at home, and who is hetrosexual (most likely). Transvestite is an older term for the same thing, but is now coming to mean a person who is more likely open about their activities. TS of course are those who truly believe that they are born in the wrong form and find it hard to live in ( CD's and TV tend to find both worlds comfortable).

I like transgendered. Over the course of my life I have changed in what I believe I want, as well as how I see myself. Maybe call it maturity or age or luck, but now I see myself much more as a transvestite than a CD ... although I surely started off as a very closeted CD. Maybe I'll move to another level, or maybe not. The joy of these times is that we have those choices available to us. Only a few years ago, it was a very different situation (at least here in the USA).

What do the terms mean really ? Whatever those who use them intend - that is true of all language. So, it is up to us to decide the meanings and then educate the rest of our society in their use. They will, no doubt, chaf at it ... but they will also move along with us. Look at the terms for black americans and you'll see the same process, just farther along.

I believe that the words "tranny" and "Tgirl" are used with great subtly here and other similar places. In general parlance, they are almost useless. Is Tranny a negative word? Maybe ?? Hard to say. Tgirl, very positive word around these parts !!!

victoriamwilliams1
04-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Personally I prefer Tgirl or TG, I have an admirer who addressed my as his cross dressing friend in the subject header and I was offended after he knew before we corresponded he would address me as lady. Now I would not have been offended if he used Tgirl or gurl. He is back to lady BTW. He has questions and I answer them for him.

Joni Beauman
04-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Transvestite has gained the specific distinction as a term to describe cross-dressing for sexual gratification. Tg is a more general term for gender dysphoria. Ts indeed is as described. Joni

Vicky_Scot
04-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Transvestite: a person and especially a male who adopts the dress and often the behavior typical of the opposite sex especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification.

Transgender: having personal characteristics (as transsexuality or transvestism) that transcend traditional gender boundaries and corresponding sexual norms.

Transsexual: a person who strongly identifies with the opposite sex and may seek to live as a member of this sex especially by undergoing surgery and hormone therapy to obtain the necessary physical appearance (as by changing the external sex organs).

Crossdresser:a person and especially a male who adopts the dress and often the behavior typical of the opposite sex.

Now look at the definition of Transvestite and Crossdresser. The only difference they tag on "especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification" when defining a Transvestite.

Being a Transvestite and being a Crossdresser are in fact one of the same.

Crossdresser was a word that started being subsituted for transvetite to try and get away from what Joni stated "Transvestite has gained the specific distinction as a term to describe cross-dressing for sexual gratification."

I like to think of myself as a lesbian trapped in a male body...........:heehee:

At the end of the day the label most apt when asked what you are is "Myself"

Xx Vicky xX

Amy Hepker
04-11-2008, 04:49 AM
Whatever you like.

KayR
04-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Its an interesting thread, this.
Just as an opinion, I think it might be useful to have degrees of what we do. For example, a person who dresses in the clothes of the opposite sex purely for self-gratification (sexual or otherwise) could be a CD.
A person who does the above, but adopts other aspects of the opposite sex in order to "pass" might be a TV.
Gender dysphoria as well as the above might be TS, and so on. Its a journey that some of us complete totally, but others, like me decided that we didn't want to actually change our gender, so our journey ends here.
Whats the general view?

DonnaT
04-11-2008, 08:21 AM
[B]
Now look at the definition of Transvestite and Crossdresser. The only difference they tag on "especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification" when defining a Transvestite.

Not everyone accepts those definitions. I know a number of gals who identify a transvestites, or trannies, and their self definition is the same as that of crossdresser.

Plus a number of people feel crossdressing is also for sexual reasons.

In the UK, for example, transvestite is used more often than crossdresser.

Some consider terms like Tgirl and tranny to be derogatory, and others don't.

Some consider us all to be part of a trans community, others don't like the idea of community.

Some refer to others as sisters, and some hate being referred to as a sister.

Best advise I have is, don't label others, and don't consider the self labeling others use for themselves as being wrong.

MJ
04-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Labels are just labels .. i accept the girls as girls .

nikki47
04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
I don't need a label,i'm just happy and content being who i am,and loving every minute. :):):)

Nikki

DeeDeeB
04-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Call me whatever you like, just don't call me late for cocktails.

And even taking Vicky's definitions, I change from one definition to another daily, sometimes minute to minute, so it would be hard to give me the proper label at any given moment. I'm offended by derogatory tone of voice or context, not by any label.

Dee :fairy3:

docrobbysherry
04-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Call me whatever you like, just don't call me late for cocktails.

And even taking Vicky's definitions, I change from one definition to another daily, sometimes minute to minute, so it would be hard to give me the proper label at any given moment. I'm offended by derogatory tone of voice or context, not by any label.
Dee :fairy3:

And couldn't have said it any better! More vermouth, dear?

KathrynCleve
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Personally, I refer to myself as a "femulator." (One who emulates females.)

easy-writer
04-11-2008, 02:54 PM
I agree, labels can be confusing and even counterproductive to gaining a genuine understang of ourselves and who we are.

That said, sometimes a label can help us find information that is illuminating, and even (as in the case below) comforting.

I just came across the term "autogynephilia" and -- after reading Wiki and many of its links, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogynephilia ) it appears I show all the attributes of "transvestitic autogynephilia." Okay, that's a real mouthful, but within that self-diagnosis I've discovered that what I once thought was a dark and freakish affliction has a name, and that I am not alone.

I showed the wiki link above to my wife, who knows about my x-dressing and who goes back and forth between reluctant acceptance and scorn/denial. When she didn't balk but seemed almost interested, I sent her this source link: http://www.autogynephilia.org/origins.htm ...and then explained to her where I fit in (i.e., that I have no desire to dress in public, and certainly not undergo sexual reassignment surgery.) I also told her what I thought "triggered" it (happened a few years ago--another story).

She said, "Okay, but just so you know, I want the man I married."
I thought about that all day, and that night (while hugging and kissing her Hello) I playfully reminded her of that, and asked, "Are you sure you want that guy?... That long-haired, pot-smoking, guy with PTSD and an anger problem?" She laughed and admitted "Well, probably not."

If there's a lesson here, maybe it's that we should never stop attempting to understand ourselves, nor should we ever expect that task to be completed.
And our spouses should -- as should we -- know that humans are human; that we are not photos in an album but something much more dynamic... And potentially a LOT more fun to have around.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :battingeyelashes:

dakota_ann69
04-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I have always hated labels myself of any kind negative or positive, I just prefer to be who I am.

Deborah Jane
04-11-2008, 04:28 PM
When i,m dressed as Debs, i,m Debs!!
When i,m dressed as D**e, i,m D**e!!

Ellie
04-11-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't go for labels much - unless they are designer labels :lol:

I esp. don't get offended by labels as most of the ones that have been flung at me don't have a negative connotation in my mind.

When I hear the word "Trannie" I first think of the box of gears between the engine and the drive shaft so rather then being offended I am usually just confused.

That being said, when asked about my dressing "status" I generally say crossdresser as I feel it describes the activity of dressing as a woman without specifically addressing the sexuality aspects.

These are the terms as I see them:

CD = Dressing as a wo/man for fun. Usually less then 1/2 time.
TV = Dressing as a wo/man for sex or more then 1/2 time.
TS = Dressing as a wo/man and performing permanent body modification (drugs, piercings, implants/removals) to become more fe/male up to a full SRS.

TG = All of the above. Anyone whose fells that their gender identity does not fit completely within the "fe/male" mold they were born into. TG describes a purely psychological state whereas CD/TV/TS describe, or at least imply, actions.

Once someone has gone through full SRS for all intents and purposes they are the other gender so the best term would be woman or man however this doesn't recognize the personal struggle that the person went through to be the gender they felt that they should be so often I hear them refer to themselves as "post-op TS" or "T-girl".

And of course, sex is also fun so the terms CD and TV are pretty much interchangeable around my house.

DonnaWanna
04-11-2008, 04:45 PM
As I have stated before in a similar thread,, I prefer Crossdresser because Transvestite has a negative sound to it,,

trannie T
04-11-2008, 04:58 PM
"Crossdresser" and "transvestite" mean exactly the same thing, the only term I object to is "*******." You may call me anything else you wish, I think of myself as just a "Freak of Nature."

Sasha Anne Meadows
04-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I can accept tg, t girl, cd though there are degrees of variation there too. Transvestite is clearly pejoitive and cd is too non specific.

Kate Simmons
04-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Beats me Hon. I'm gone through so many changes in the last few years I don't know what to call myself anymore so I gave up:idontknow:. Just Salandra will do, I guess. As far as anyone else, they can call me a parsnip for all I care. I know who I am inside and the outside is just so much fluff really, glitter notwithstanding.:battingeyelashes:

battybattybats
04-11-2008, 11:28 PM
I agree, labels can be confusing and even counterproductive to gaining a genuine understang of ourselves and who we are.

That said, sometimes a label can help us find information that is illuminating, and even (as in the case below) comforting.

I just came across the term "autogynephilia" and -- after reading Wiki and many of its links, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogynephilia ) it appears I show all the attributes of "transvestitic autogynephilia." Okay, that's a real mouthful, but within that self-diagnosis I've discovered that what I once thought was a dark and freakish affliction has a name, and that I am not alone.

I showed the wiki link above to my wife, who knows about my x-dressing and who goes back and forth between reluctant acceptance and scorn/denial. When she didn't balk but seemed almost interested, I sent her this source link: http://www.autogynephilia.org/origins.htm ...and then explained to her where I fit in (i.e., that I have no desire to dress in public, and certainly not undergo sexual reassignment surgery.) I also told her what I thought "triggered" it (happened a few years ago--another story).

Autogynephilia is a very contentious subject. I recently found this on it http://www.tracieokeefe.com/Autogynephilia.htm which is intersting

Niya W
04-11-2008, 11:31 PM
labels are just that labels

My GF says she has just been upgraded to DVD, hopefully she will bake it to blu ray

Suzy Harrison
04-12-2008, 12:07 AM
When we label ourselves we put ourselves in a box. We may not be a certain single type but more a mixture of one or more.

It's almost like saying is the sea blue?, or greeny blue or turqoise.? - It depends from what angle you see it from and the time of day. Maybe we're the same.

:hugs: Suzy

sterling12
04-12-2008, 01:05 AM
I think the two terms have become interchangeable. I would bet that 99% of the folks out there wouldn't have a clue about whatever the perceived differences are.

In The USA, I think we prefer the term "Transperson," or "Crossdresser." "Transvestite," is often thought of as an old fashioned term dating back to the turn of the 20th century. It has many negative connotations that relate to the term, and "Trannie" has often been used as a pejorative.

Personally, I'll answer to about anything except nasty epitaphs. We all know and have heard most of those negative labels, maybe with time and tolerance they will disappear.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Tammy298
04-12-2008, 04:52 AM
In The USA, I think we prefer the term "Transperson," or "Crossdresser." "Transvestite," is often thought of as an old fashioned term dating back to the turn of the 20th century. It has many negative connotations that relate to the term, and "Trannie" has often been used as a pejorative.
Peace and Love, Joanie

I agree. The use of "Transvestite" frequently has some negative, or at least some humorous if not perverse connotations. Back in my early days of crosdressing, when I was strictly in the closet and I even thought I was really weird for liking to wear womens clothes, I'd only rarely hear the term "transvestite". Then, it was only in talk about going to a bar to see a "transvestite" sing & perform. That would result in a round of laughts about those weird "men" dressing like women.

Maybe because I live in fly-over country, but I've never heard the term "Transperson." Sounds like something out of a sci-fi flick. You step into a little booth, push a button, and "poof" you step out dressed as a woman! Bah, that would take all the fun out of sliding the stockings up my legs, etc!:D

Just kidding, I do start to ramble especially before my morning fist cup of coffee!

jules3367
04-12-2008, 06:38 AM
From what I have read on this site in the short time that I have been a member is the term cd used almost exclusively when refering to us. Does this mean the words transvestite, t-girl or tranny are looked at in a negative way? I have always known that I am a tranvestite and have accepted that without question. Now that I am here am I to assume we do not want to be called those names? I can understand words like queer, faggot, fairy or dyke are meant to be used in a negative sense but does this also mean we do not want to be called a transvestite, t-girl or tranny? Actually I have always liked the term t-girl and have referred to myself as such on other web sites similar to this one. Am I really missing something here or not? I would hate to offend someone here so will someone offer insight on this question.

You have taken the words right out of my mouth, i've been thinking the same thing for ages and can never find a satisfactory ( or consensus ) answer

Even though this doesn't answer your question i just thought you should know ;-)

j xx