PDA

View Full Version : Why I am scared of where I live

Natalia
04-11-2008, 03:32 PM
This is the history of Maine's 'respect' for otherness...

The newest attempt to repeal the 2005 rights law was begun in response to a 12 year old TG boy in Orono Maine who was given the right to use the girl's bathroom.

Some junior fascist went home and told his senior fascist Grampa - the story is breathtaking in its narrow minded bigotry.

http://www.pamshouseblend.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=166A028C7AD5AC11D7978DF742 62E399?diaryId=5046

History of Gay Bashing in Maine...a proud heritage (0.00 / 0)
GAY RIGHTS IN MAINE
MAY 4, 1993: Maine's Legislature passes statewide gay rights bill for the first time since the fight began in 1977. Gov. John R. McKernan vetoes the bill.

NOV. 7, 1995: Voters reject a proposal by Carolyn Cosby and her Concerned Maine Families to prohibit passage of gay rights laws in Maine and to invalidate existing ordinances in Portland and Long Island.

MAY 1997: Legislature approves gay rights bill. Gov. Angus King signs it, but opponents mount a petition drive seeking a statewide referendum to overturn it.

FEB. 10, 1998: Voters repeal the gay rights law.

APRIL 3, 2000: The Maine Senate approves a referendum on a proposed law prohibiting bias based on sexual orientation. The House approves the measure a day later.

NOV. 7, 2000: Voters defeat the gay rights referendum.

JAN. 25, 2005: Gov. John Baldacci uses his State of the State Address to reiterate his promise to introduce a gay rights bill.

JAN. 26, 2005: Baldacci says his bill will not seek a referendum on gay rights because he believes the Legislature, not voters, should pass the legislation.

MARCH 30, 2005: The Legislature approves the bill.

MARCH 31, 2005: Baldacci signs the bill as a group of church pastors and the Christian Civic League of Maine announce plans to try to overturn it.

JUNE 28, 2005: Gay rights opponents submit petitions to force a "people's veto" referendum.

NOV. 8, 2005: Voters reject the "people's veto" and endorse the law, 55 percent to 45 percent.

DEC. 28, 2005: The law takes effect.

PROPOSED REFERENDUM

PROPOSED WORDING: "Do you want to protect traditional marriage and eliminate special rights in Maine?"

SUMMARY: The initiative would limit marriage to one man and one woman.

IT WOULD FORBID the establishment of civil unions and change adoption law so that only one person, or a married couple, could adopt.

THE MEASURE WOULD remove the designation "sexual orientation" from the Maine Human Rights Act and eliminate state funding for the attorney general's civil rights teams

JoAnnDallas
04-11-2008, 03:43 PM
I thought we defeated Fascisms back in the 1940's?

Natalia
04-11-2008, 03:48 PM
It's alive and well in the back woods.

DonnaT
04-11-2008, 05:08 PM
The proposed referendum must be approved by the Secretary of State’s Office. If it is accepted, the group must collect about 55,000 signatures to have it put on the ballot.

So, let's hope that Maine's Secretary of State does not approve of the referendum.

Maybe a letter writing campaign would be in order.

Natalia
04-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Only 10 years ago Maine voters repealed a similar law...

It will get on the ballot...of this there is no doubt.

Christina Nicole
04-11-2008, 05:29 PM
People have the right to disagree and get redress for their grievances. It's the process that we have that protects us from fascism. Calling those with whom you disagree names is hardly going to advance your point of view or convince anyone of the virtues in your position. Ad hominem attacks only show the vapidity of the attacker.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

celeste26
04-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Oregon has gone back and forth on this issue also. Our citizens have attempted twice now to take the issue out of the state supreme court and force a state constitutional amendment and it has been a closely voted issue rather than a clear majority for either side.

Still it seems that there are civil unions here anyway.

sterling12
04-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Well, I guess it would be an easy thing to sniff our noses and look down at all those "Backward Maniacs," but can any of us really say that our state has done a whole lot better.

I'm betting very few could claim that their state was so enlightened, that alternative lifestyle people are really protected. I am a bit ashamed, but I can certainly empathize. In Florida, our legislative record is pretty spotty, pretty pathetic too.

Peace and Love, Joanie

trannie T
04-12-2008, 01:42 AM
I remember the civil rights movement of the fifties and sixties. It took a long time and some bloodshed to accomplish the goals. Our rights are well worth fighting for also. We can not allow bigotry and hatred to go unchallenged. One can support GLBT rights without outing themselves.

This is an election year, support those candidates who will support our rights.