PDA

View Full Version : square one, now what?...

newbiecdinwa
04-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I want to make some friends and maybe find a mentor or two or thirty for that matter...I'm starting to acquire clothing, but don't know what things I should acquire first...any suggestions?

deja true
04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Start with your favorites, newbie!

Shoes? Buildfrom the floor up.

Lingerie? Build from the 'bottom' up.

Makeup? Build from the top down.

Start anywhere with what you like and the inspiration and a little research in Vogue or Marie Clare or Sixteen or here or 'What not to wear' or anywhere will get you going.

There are no rules, honey. Wear what you want, whatever makes you happy!

Welcome, darlin'! Just have fun!

newbiecdinwa
04-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Thank you, I have read some of the nice comments people have left, and the support I see is very comforting... Thank you again for the kind words...

CharleneT
04-11-2008, 09:45 PM
For me it was panties. Then, very quickly, camisoles. Those two things were the world for a while... really :)

C.

Echo Logical
04-11-2008, 09:48 PM
The very first thing I ever purchased for myself was a skirt, I bought it at a Value village a long long time ago.

I didn't really start dressing though until last year. That was when I was shopping for a pair of running shoes and saw a sexy pair of high heels boots that I really wanted, so I bought them.

I would recommend looking through fashion magazines and see if there is anything that jumps out at you. Figure out what body type you are and look for fashions that will be flattering. At the public library you can find fashion books that will help you get an idea of what styles would look best on you. I watch GG's and see what they are wearing and what I like, there is an older woman at work who I am sure could give fashion advice to the stars.

Later I took a tip from a GG (who didn't know she was giving me fashion advice) I found a skirt I really liked and started to build an outfit to go with it, top to shoes.

Over time you will figure out what it is about dressing that you find most attractive, and you will purchase appropriately. I like really sexy/****ty things, but I don't think I would ever go out of the house in them. I have also started building a fairly conservative and classy feminine look, things that I may one day go out in public wearing.

I would seriously recommend setting a budget for yourself, and making a shopping list. A number of girls have really gone overboard and bought themselves some huge debt along with their pretty clothes.

As for makeup. You will need concealer, foundation, blush for your face. Eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and a brow pencil for your eyes. and lipliner, lipstick, and a gloss for your lips. There a huge number of videos on the web that will show you how to put all the makeup on. My wife found a great little starter makeup kit at linens' n' things that she bought me.

You live in Washington? Walgreens has a great makeup selection, as does rite aid, and if you hit the rite aid on capitol hill in Seattle, they are very used to seeing men buy makeup so no bother there. you can also frequently find coupons for makeup at walgreens and rite aid in the sunday paper.

For nails, so far Sally's beauty supply has had the best selection of fake nails and very low prices, and again they are unphased with men buying nail supplies, they will help you with all the goodies you need to do them right.

Breastforms can be found on the internet, like here http://www.ovinaexpress.com/ you can also find great deals on e-bay.

I have purchased most of my shoes at Payless Shoes, since they are not daily wear I am not as concerned about the quality, and they have some great styles with low prices all the way up to size 12. For lingerie I usually shop at Lovers, again they have great prices and sales, they one in Tukwila is huge, with a tremendous selection, get on their e-mail list for sale notifications. They have a pair of really great thigh high boots that I will one day own.

All in all, good luck to you, and you have found in this board a vast number of friends and mentors. Be sure to check out the beauty and the clothing forums for lots of great advice.

Nicole Erin
04-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah we can try to help. I say a forum like this is probably good.

If you are talking about real life mentors, well be careful. Some people who think they have it together look ridiculous and will try to pass off their horrendous style as "the way to go".

Angie Sweet
04-12-2008, 03:29 PM
You are at the right place to find mentors, and lots of advice. The people here are so kind and helpful. I have not been a member for very long, but have learned so much. I have picked up a couple of new friends also. Just wonderful.
Make sure your mentor is someone who's look you admire or want to copy.
As far as wear to start...........What do you want to wear? What do you want to look like? What do you find sexy or attractive on other women? Start there and as you dress more, what feels comfortable and looks good will become evident.
Don't spend alot at first. Shop thrift stores and clearance racks. I am quite proud to say nothing I own right now (with the exception of wigs) has cost me more than $20.00.
Most important of all HAVE FUN.

Deborah Jane
04-12-2008, 03:48 PM
You gotta aquire panties 1st..A gurls gotta have panties:D

Angie G
04-13-2008, 08:09 AM
I started my wardrobe with skirts with my wife's help it was one of hers she let me borrow it Then panties, blouses, shows, hose, got my ears pierced, then bras. makeup was in there somewhere Do it in what ever order you want just do it. :hugs:
Angie