PDA

View Full Version : pushing the boundaries

Jessica Jane
04-12-2008, 11:34 AM
I am sure from what I have read over the years that I am far from being alone when cringing at my initial attempts at shopping for feminine items...the nervous pacing up and down outside the shop building up the courage to buy and then the rushed entry/exit having almost thrown the money at the bemused sales girl....looking back I must have been so easy to read its not true!!:doh:

Whether its age or experience recent times have seen a marked improvement in my composure culminating in my latest visit to the Debenhams cosmetics store.
I had phoned ahead to get a point of contact and to gage the attitude of the sales girl which was polite and unthreatening....so with confidence 3-4 hrs later I marched up to the Elizabeth Arden counter and asked for my contact...she had finished her shift and I was gutted:Angry3:...the young sales girl could see my obvious disappointment and asked if she could help…after an uncomfortable pause…fear just evaporated, I took a deep breath and explained I had arranged an appointment to help select suitable make up products for myself….the young sale girl smiled and with nothing but professionalism…took control of the situation…she asked if I was comfortable sitting at the counter…which I declined with horror!!:eek:…so she arranged a room at the back of the counter where she proceeded to measure my skin type/colour/texture with a gadget before giving me a full make over, talking me through not just products and colours but techniques as well…she chatted freely and admitted that she had never had a male client….but told me that it made an interesting change…I was in heaven!!:daydreaming:…at the end of the make over she gave me time to admire myself and discuss any issues before removing all traces as requested…
Naturally after that experience I spent a fortune with her at the counter buying all the products she had used…but hey it was worth every penny!!!!:D

The point is that whilst I am pleased I am finally gaining some confidence in buying stuff…I still wonder how well I will deal with a not so successful episode…and how far am I going to take this …any suggestion a few months ago that I would have undertaken this exercise would have been unthinkable…where will it end…going out shopping dressed??…hmmm..I think there are limits!! But hey for now I am happy to push the boundaries!!

Sheena Pink
04-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Love your photos! You look great!:hugs: Glad that you plucked up enough nerve to get your facial done. That girl was awesome to help you achieve your goal.

shannonsilk
04-12-2008, 01:17 PM
you look great. You must be a fast learner.

If anyone had told me 2 yrs ago that i would have done some of the things I've done, I wouldn't have believed it either.

vikki2020
04-12-2008, 01:58 PM
As you shop more and more, you will find that you aren't going to have any problems.They sell, you buy! That's what they're there for.Your pics look great! You should go dressed next time!

Stargirl
04-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Elizabeth Arden. I love her quality cosmetics. You look lovely, too. Words to remember. Pink, soft, quality, pleasure. I hope you get to keep having fun. Makes life worthwhile.

Sabrina Flowers
04-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi Jessica Jane, love your pics and you look great in them.
Just take things at your own pace, there may be times when the shopping does not go well, but in my experince this does not happen very often.
at the end of the day it is your money and if you do not get the service you want, then you go else where.

Jessica Jane
04-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the comments girls

xx Jess

Raychel
04-13-2008, 06:19 AM
You look awesome Jessica, All I see there is one hot blond with some great legs.

It sound like you had a great experience at the makeup counter. It is amazing just how accepting most people are in the reatil setting, If we could only get over it in our own heads, Life suer would be alot easier.

Just take this all at your own pace. when you are comfortable then move on to the next step. But only if you want to.

Amy Hepker
04-13-2008, 06:32 AM
You do look great and I bet you had a great time. I would love to go and get a makeover, but I think if I do, I will be dressed as a female. I know it took a lot for you to do it, but I also know it was well worth it. Just to have the pampering that we deserve is worth it. I know I would be in heaven. I am thinking about getting my hair done soon, but I will be in male attire when I do. I want something that can be worn both by male and female to begin with. My hair is thinning in front and I would like to see if they have any ideas what they can do with it.

Suzy Harrison
04-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Well you look stunning so it was worth the trip.

You won't believe this, but when I was shopping en-femme the other day I needed some razor blades ... and decided to put it off until I was to be in drab.

It makes you wonder just how our minds work sometimes !

Shannen
04-13-2008, 06:50 AM
I was in heaven!!:daydreaming:

I've been dreaming of doing this. You give me courage to try!

From your pictures I would say that a trip to the mall would go without an troubles. I don't see anything that seems out of place!

Angie G
04-13-2008, 07:13 AM
WOW Jessica that great your going forward and gaining the confidence you need And I think you look good enough to go out shopping. and nice pics hun.:hugs:
Angie

Maria2004
04-13-2008, 08:06 AM
…hmmm..I think there are limits!!

Yes, and they exist between our ears. From your pics I'd have to say your biggest concern should be jealousy since you look fantastic. Being concerned about a bad episode is like never walking around the house barefoot because you might stub your toe. Keep pushing!:hugs:

Mollyanne
04-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi JJ, WOW, Stunning sweetie, STUNNING!!!!! LOVE all three outfits in the pics but if I had to choose one it would be number 2. I think Maria said it best when she stated that the only boundaries are the ones we have between our ears.

:love: Mollyanne

TGMarla
04-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Wow! You GO, girl! As one who never bothers to leave the house, I'm not in any position to advise you. But I'm impressed with what you've done so far.

And I love the white skirt in the middle picture!

tamarav
04-13-2008, 08:31 AM
If I had been the sales clerk at the counter I would have loved to work on you. Since I do makeovers and hair on a daily basis in a salon and have had a number of men come in for makeovers, I understand just what the sales clerk was thinking. New tires for my car and a tank of gas! In my case it would have been, a new wig and shoes.

Not to imply that sales people are just vultures, I love to assist men and women in looking better, that is why I took the time to go to beauty school and withstood all the remarks about some old bald guy in school. I went in male mode simply because of the time constraints and the difficulty in rolling perms with long nails...... I did however, host the finale fashion show as Tami and have been invited back 12 times as the guest MC.

Making a contact first can help setup the sales person, but most of us have seen this sort of thing many times (well in my case it really comes home) and we love to work on the challenges of turning an average man into a great looking woman like you.

Don't let your own fear of being exposed stop you from such an adventure, have a good cover story or just tell the clerk or stylist that you want to see how good you can look as a woman, simple as that.

As far as hair styling goes, 80% of the over 40 women that I style hair for, have less than full heads of hair. For every woman you see out there with a full flowing head of hair, there are 20 that have much less hair and simply blend in with the crowd. You would be very surprised at how little hair many women actually have.

So get out there, make some stylist's day and get your hair styled or colored, and get your nails done and maybe that full makeover. The other women in the salon will have something to talk about and it really doesn't hurt and after the first time you will really start to love it.

Way to go Jessica!! You look awesome, much better than lots of ladies I work on daily..

Tami

Jessica Jane
04-14-2008, 04:43 AM
I've been dreaming of doing this. You give me courage to try!

Go for it girl...its a fantastic experience ...just pick location ,time and try and relax!!

I understand just what the sales clerk was thinking. New tires for my car and a tank of gas! In my case it would have been, a new wig and shoes.

Yep I am sure you are right...and it was one of the easiest ways to get the money out of my purse!!!

Being concerned about a bad episode is like never walking around the house barefoot because you might stub your toe. Keep pushing!

I know you are right....and keep pushing I will!!!

It makes you wonder just how our minds work sometimes !

I,ve given up wondering about my mind!!...go for it Aussie girl I am from Adelaide!!

Stunning sweetie, STUNNING!!!!!
Thanks...i'm blushing ...but it really helps the confidence.

I'm not in any position to advise you

Errr...i've seen your pictures wearing those green dresses...with your looks, figure and dress sense I will take your advice any day!!

I think you look good enough to go out shopping
Thanks..Maybe one day...but only after copious amounts of vodka...and how would I cope with heels then?!!

I am thinking about getting my hair done soon,
Go for it girl...I really wish I could grow mine and have it styled...but alas...not in my lifetime

Just take this all at your own pace. when you are comfortable then move on to the next step. But only if you want to.
Will do...but I don't think I will ever have a problem with the wanting side of things!!

erickka
04-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Jess, You look FABULOUS!! It is nice to hear that there are S/A's that are professional and courteous like you had experienced there. Glad all worked out for you.

Sandi jo
04-14-2008, 08:54 AM
First you looked great second it will be easier to push those boundaries whenever you feel the need too when you feel comfortable to do so

paulaluvssz8
04-14-2008, 08:57 AM
I find myself patrolling the womens dept at many stores. I love to tag along with my wife at times. So I can scope out a new outfit. And when I am shopping for new undies. I love the excitement of it. It gives me a rush. ANd so far I have had only one SA to say anything about the panties that I was buying. ANd she just joked that she didn't think they were my color. I said you would be suprised. LOL