PDA

View Full Version : A couple first for me

Carroll
04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Today, my wife and I went to Elmira to get me a new wig. It a bit darker than the other ones I have. After we had lunch we decided to stop by The Dress Barn to look around ( I was in drab). We found a dress that my wife loved and wanted me to get. We were debating if it was the right size when a sales associate asked if we needed help. My wife told her we are just trying to figure out if it will fit or not. She looked at my wife and told her she could use the fitting rooms. My wife said "Oh, its not for me, its for him". The S.A looks at me and says "I'll unlock the fitting room so you can try it on":eek: I took the dress and tried it on, with a good fit.
This was the first time I have gotten a brand new dress, and the first time I have been brave enough to try something on at a store. I can not say enough about my experience at The Dress Barn in Horseheads, NY

BTW, I will be posting pictures of the new wig and dress in the picture section Wednesday or Thursday as I have no make up on and my wife wants to do it.

gennee
04-28-2008, 03:59 PM
You're braver than me, Carroll. I have yet to try on a dress in a store.

Gennee

:D

mike47
04-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Congrats. I can't say that I have ever tried it on in the store. I have boughten them and hoped for the best. Most of the time they do but I have had to take them back.

Shelly Preston
04-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Very brave but the bonus is

You know it fits

adelle
04-28-2008, 04:20 PM
congrats:drink::drink:
you have more guts than most of us.:hugs:
adelle

Jamie M
04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
What a wonderful experience for you. I have only tried stuff on whilst on my own when shop was very quiet but i can imagine that being with a GG can make a bit of a difference to people's reactions especially if you do with an air of confidence such as your lovely wife obviously did so. Can't wait for the pics :)

Denise01
04-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Congratulations:

I know the first time you try something on in the store especially if you are Drab, it is very nerve racking and think the whole world is looking at you.

The more you do it, the easier it will be.

About 4 years ago i was coming from a doctors appointment at the hospital, and was drab. Was in a dress store in the mall in the city where the hospital is. Was looking at a couple of outfits, the sales associate came over and askied me, Would you like me to set up a fitting room so you can try them on.

When I go shopping now, for Denise, I go as Denise, and will not buy anything unless i can try it on, as i live too far from the stores to take things back. I have never been refused to try things on, but also i found if you treat the Sales girls well they will treat you well.

By the Way I love Dress Barn, they usually always have something that fits me well, and the Sales people there are very accomodating.

Congratulations again, and you will find the more you are out, and try things on, the more confidence you will get

Denise

trannie T
04-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I went to the Lane Bryant outlet in Vacaville California a year ago in drab. The sales associate mede me feel a bit foolish for being a little apprehensive asking if I could try on a dress. I was made very welcome and she was very helpful.
Of course I bought the dress.

KimberlyS
04-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Sounds like you had a good day out. I have had nothing be good luck at the different Dress Barns I have been at. I spent about two hours in male mode at a Dress Barn in the Phoenix area and was treated wonderfully. The SA tried hard to find me some dress slacks that fit right. She just kept bringing me different ones back to try and she gave me her opinion on most of them. It may of helped if I had my butt padding on.

CD Susan
04-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Carroll, thanks for sharing your story with us. I found it to be very interesting. I have heard many members mention Dress Barn but I have never heard of it till now. As far as I know there none of these stores where I live here in Iowa. So what states have Dress Barn stores?

Carroll
04-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Carroll, thanks for sharing your story with us. I found it to be very interesting. I have heard many members mention Dress Barn but I have never heard of it till now. As far as I know there none of these stores where I live here in Iowa. So what states have Dress Barn stores?

Try this Susan...appears to be a few in Iowa http://www.dressbarn.com/flashStoreLocator.jsp

Thanks for all the comments. I can't wait to get a picture up for everybody

JoAnnDallas
04-29-2008, 08:54 AM
The Dress Barn's here in Dallas are very CD friendly. One even had a 2 hour after hour session for my Tri-Ess chapter. 15 of us went and I am sure we totaled over $1K for the store. The Dress Barn wants to have another after hours session.

Carroll
04-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I email the company about my experience and here was the reply I got

Dear Carroll,
Thank you for taking the time to write us in regards to your recent shopping experience at one of our dressbarn locations. We are very pleased to hear of the great service our Sales associate provided during your visit. I can assure you that she will not go unrecognized! I have personally shared your positive feedback with the District Sales Manager and have sent the Sales Associate a letter of recognition. It is not often that we get to hear first hand the things we are doing right so it is with great thanks to you, our valued customer for taking time out of your busy day to share your thoughts.
Sincerely,
Your friends at dressbarn

Kimberly9310
04-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Go Girl.I'm glad you had a good time. And thanks for sharing your story with us.
Love
Kimberly

ErikaLadyoftheDesert
04-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I have heard that the Dress Barn is CD friendly. I have been planning to go out as Erika to a Dress Barn here in the Phoenix area. With what I have read here today, I now feel much better about it and will do it soon. Thanks for sharing your experiences ladies.

:love:

StevieCD
04-29-2008, 06:36 PM
I have also had great experience at Dress Barn. I shopped at one about an 45 min west of St. Louis. I was in male mode. Explained I was a CD and needed help. I was assisted in choosing several items and allowed to try them on. I plan on going back when I have my breast forms so I can get a better fitting top.

Sinthia
04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
I email the company about my experience and here was the reply I got

Carroll . . . Did you let them know that you were a male getting that service?

Carroll
04-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Carroll . . . Did you let them know that you were a male getting that service?

Yes, I told them I was a crossdresser and that the S.A. made me feel welcome. I dont have a copy of the email because it was one of those forms you fill out

Carroll
05-01-2008, 01:56 PM
well, I got pictures up of the dress and wig:
http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1280864#post1280864

Wenda
05-01-2008, 11:43 PM
good for you! When I took three skirts into the change room at a store, the poor (young male) attendant looked really spooked out! When I came out and took two of the skirts, I thought he was relieved, but didn't really believe it!
W:):)

SueAnncd
05-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Hi Carroll

Isnt it wonderful to use the dressing room in a store? I have a shop that allows me to try things on eventhough I come in in drab. I am excited for days after each trip. It is also wonderful to get the right size every time.

SueAnn:battingeyelashes:

Raychel
05-02-2008, 05:42 AM
It is great that your wife is willing to go that extra step for you. My wife will not do the dress shopping with me. I am glad that you had a great experience and commend you for writing to dress barn to tell them. This does gat back to the sale associates, and certainly will help our acceptance to the world. When everyone finds out that we are just normal people and do appreaciate when someone goes the extra mile for us.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chari
05-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Recently my SO and I went to a lingerie sale in a high end department store. Although I was in drab, my SO knows I really enjoy looking (and wearing) femme items. A SA approached us asking "if either of us would like to have a professional fitting for the right size bra?" My SO agreed and then the SA turned to me saying "don't go away, you're next!" Laughingly I began taking off my outer shirt thinking I would call her bluff, but she did measure me and brought a few bras to the private changing room for me to try on. As the SA adjusted the straps, pulling up my "natural breasts", and inserting forms that filled out the bra, she asked if I "wanted to wear the new forms and bra now, as these will give a smoother look to my top". Since I did not have on a femme top, as much as I wanted to, I decided not to wear the bra or forms, but was anxious to get home to dress up. I bought four new bras, two pairs of matching panties, and the forms! It was a great experience being fitted, but I still wonder how the SA knew I liked to dress up.

Enjoy life, Chari