PDA

View Full Version : Why do you choose the clothes and makeup you choose?

Jamie S.
04-30-2008, 06:57 AM
So I'm sitting here, finishing up work on final project for college and thinking about some clothes I'm waiting to come through the mail. Then I realized that my female side tends to be lighter and more colorful (although my "colorful" is still fairly muted). In real life I wear generally dark clothing and jeans and tend to be introverted and fairly plain, but when I dress I tend to wear brighter clothing. I thought this was strange though, as I enjoy my dark clothing normally, but my female side does not. Like there's two people in my head.

Anywho, this led me to thinking about why we choose the clothes we choose and apply makeup the way we do. Some of us tend to go for the over-the-top stuff, some of us go for ****ty/sexy (not necessarily a bad thing), and some of us simply go for what we consider to be the norm.

So I pondered, why do I dress the way I do? Is it because this the contemporary fashion and the approriate dress for my age? Is it because it excites me? Or is it just some deep psychological fixation developed during childhood/adolescence? Or is it simply a combination or something else entirely?

I really couldn't say why I personally choose the clothing and look that I do other than that I just feels and looks right to me. So I pose this question to you all: Why do dress up the way you do?

DemonicDaughter
04-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Its what you like and a form of expression. Your more fem side doesn't want to look muted and drabby. She wants to be beautiful and noticed. Women dress in what they like, what they think looks good on them and what they are comfortable wearing. Now mind you, I'm comfortable in leather corsets and 5 inch platforms... but that's just me. :)

I don't think every crossdresser has some deep hidden secret that explains the kind of clothes s/he wears. I think its more how to make your outside look more like how you feel on the inside.

bgirl
04-30-2008, 07:33 AM
At first I chose the clothes my fantasy girl would wear. Once my feminine sense of reality finally woke up, I realized I would never wear those clothes well. I started chosing clothes a sensible woman my age would wear. Sadly I quit shoping in the junior department. I found out that I relaxed more in my more reasonable outfits and felt more confident in my appearance. It took the unsuspecting public much longer to make me and occasionaly I even escaped notice. So if it would look good on my daughter.............

The two people in your head thing....I used to worry about that too, alot. I thought life would be easier if I only had one person in my brain. As they say be careful of what you wish for, it might come true. Sure enough. For me some sort of intergration process has started and that is far more scarry that a 55 year old trying to look like a 19 year old ****ty/sleezy fantasy.

TGMarla
04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
I wear what appeals to me. My femme clothing reflects what I like to see women wearing at any given time. Were I actually a woman, these are the clothes I would wear if I were dressing up, going to work, or going out somewhere. But there are a lot of things that I like to see on women that have not made it into my wardrobe, too. This would include lingerie, for instance (I have little or none),and there are lots of outfits I find appealing on women that I cannot really wear myself. I don't wear casual clothing all that much, either. But women wear casual stuff all the time. I don't bother, I guess, mostly because when I dress, I dress up. I wear casual stuff all the time as a guy. Same with pants. I wear pants every day, all day. When I dress up, I like to put on skirts and dresses, partly because I can't wear them as a guy. Mudh of what I wear incorporates colors and styles I can't utilize as a man. I like ruffles, lace, sheer fabrics, knits and sweaters, purples, florals, and bows.

Bottom line: I'm just a sucker for pretty dresses!

Lisa Rose
04-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Color, fashion, style, cut, fabric. I thinks that's why, at least for MtF, is why dressing is so appealing. For the most, guy clothes are DRAB.

Angie G
04-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Well my wife is OK with me dressing so the why is because I can and I love the colors I and prints I can wear. :hugs:
Angie

victoriamwilliams1
04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
For me I prefer the more conservative look, when I first started I dressed in darker clothes now i have added more color and style in my fem side.

JoAnnDallas
04-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Well I am 60 years old and I guess I dress conservative. I think I would look weird if I try to wear what 20/30 year old GG's wear now adays. LOL The conservative look can still be stylish and sexy but not over baring.
When I go out dressed, I like to wear styles that allow me to blend in, which allows me to go about my business, be myself, enjoy what I am doing, with out any hassles or such. I find the conservative look works for me.

EnglishRose
04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
My drab look is completely androgenous. For some reason I have a irrational hatred of buttons, and that counts for male and female clothing. So for my dressing I look out for obviously feminine items; I love dresses of all kinds (button-less, natch). At the same time I like soft sweaters for the more casual look. The colors tend to be much brighter than my male crap.

dominique
04-30-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't know what it is but I like to wear anything black because I think it looks so sexy but you can blend in as well. Suppose its something to do with the drab clothes as well lots of darker colours due to my skin tones.

MJ
04-30-2008, 11:20 AM
my form of expression is some what boring very plain Jane type , like the girl next door look. it's comfortable . and i am use to it ..
now if i can only sort out dresses and remove my man in a dress fear .. I'll stick to what works ..

KeriB
04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
I go for stylish everyday wear, but honestly prefer the lighter colors, like pinks, raspberry and the like. As for shoes, I like younger styles like Mudds.. my absolute favorite. My fav accessory is my Dooney & Bourke It bag.... wish I could use it all the time!

Ana5551
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
When I first started I mainly wore very sexy lingerie. As I became more comfortable with myself I expanded on that and began to dress exactly how I felt. If I am feeling fun and flirty is probably a colorful skirt and blouse, or if I want to be comfy it may be a pair of capris and tshirt. I think when I am being my better half, my clothes are just an expression of my mood.

KayR
04-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Like most people here, after I tried all the extreme stuff, I discovered that there are certain things I prefer. I have lots of dresses, and very few separates. They tend to be smart, tailored and I like to think 'elegant'. I have almost exclusively high heeled stilleto shoes - minimum 3" - and over 200 pairs ( never enough...).
I prefer stockings to tights (pantyhose), and ideally seams. I must have a dozen or more cocktail dresses - mostly black, but I have more than a dozen long evening gowns in various colours. I don't chose large patterns, but only because I havent explored that side yet.
I'd love an opportunity to attend a formal garden party, and wear a beautiful summer dress, hat etc., etc.

Carroll
04-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Like MJ, I dress kind of plain. I wear simple print dresses. Shoes that have wide heels and no more than and inch or two. The "fanciest" dress I have is probably the one I bought a few days ago at the dressbarn ( http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81624 )
I hope to have picture up tonight or tommorw of the dress and new wig

veronicagirl
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
My outfits are basically what other average gals wear. I enjoy things like capri jeans, low cut fabric ballet shoes and a sexy halter top. I'm too old for the prom, but own a few prom dresses, and the same with my bridal gown. No medical training, but have a white nursing dress and nursemate shoes. Skirt and pantsuits are in my closet along with other "normal" wear. I dress for my feelings. I guess they just don't get into the ****ty look. Walking in those high platforms would bust my ankles anyway.

adelle
04-30-2008, 04:13 PM
as long as it makes me feel sexy i follow my heart.
hugz Adelle

gwendy
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Like JoAnnDallas, MJ and KeriB I tend to dress soberly, as befits my age (going on 60).
I find big ‘old girl’ knickers (panties) really comfortable (I just love Vanity Fair Perfectly Yours) with a lacy bra, a thigh length skirt and pretty blouse is so comfortable and around the house I like just a hint of heel (up to about 2”).
A little makeup and my wig and I feel ‘me’. :love:

Deborah Jane
04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Although i do dress more conservatively when i go out!!
I just love experimenting with differant styles and looks...I,m probably making up for all the time i spent in denial i guess.

Rachel Morley
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
I think its more how to make your outside look more like how you feel on the inside.
That's precisely it as far as I'm concerned. I like to dress in a slightly "cutesy" sort of femme mode. My underwear is always very feminine with quite a lot of lace trim on it and with flower patterns etc. My preferred outerwear tends to be quite "girly-girl" too. I like dresses a lot, I wear pink a lot, I like cute little 3/4 length sleeve cardigans with embroidery on them and my shoes tend to be quite high and strappy. I also think I dress several years younger than I am. Out in public I tone it down a bit and try to be less obvious and blend more. I don't want to be too overdressed in public. But yeah ... it's like DD said, one's choice comes from how we feel on the inside wanting to be shown on the outside. :) :2c:

Seville
04-30-2008, 09:58 PM
I wear what appeals to me. My femme clothing reflects what I like to see women wearing at any given time. Were I actually a woman, these are the clothes I would wear if I were dressing up, going to work, or going out somewhere....when I dress, I dress up. I wear casual stuff all the time as a guy. Same with pants. I wear pants every day, all day. When I dress up, I like to put on skirts and dresses, partly because I can't wear them as a guy. Much of what I wear incorporates colors and styles I can't utilize as a man. I like ruffles, lace, sheer fabrics, knits and sweaters, purples, florals, and bows.

Bottom line: I'm just a sucker for pretty dresses!

Same here...blue jeans and blue T shirts are boring; when I
dress I like pretty bright happy skirts and dresses, especially
graphic prints and Hawaiian dresses. Nothing "over-the-top"
anymore, just stuff that makes me feel pretty and, to myself
at least, "look good." For some unknown reason, I can
only be comfortable in a dress that has sleeves, no matter
how short. Flutter sleeves are a plus.

Chloe Renee
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
I am an office dweller, I live in polos and dockers, Prior to that a shop rat in jeans and t-shirts. I have this musical lean to the industrial/goth scene. But male clothing is very Umm Bland.. Female clothing is so much more.. expressive.. But, not like ,OMG I'm a pretty pretty princess. My Avatar is far more makeup than what I normally wear. Typically a little eyeliner and highlight color over a good foundation is all I do.

Sarah Doepner
04-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't think every crossdresser has some deep hidden secret that explains the kind of clothes s/he wears. I think its more how to make your outside look more like how you feel on the inside.

I had some long involved discussion all ready to go and DD beat me to it, and did it in a very economical way. The other thing is I never had a chance to do the girly stuff growing up, so occasionally I feel like I'm making up for lost time.

Deanna2
05-01-2008, 02:06 AM
In my fantasy world I'm a teenager - so I wear lacy camis and mini skirts.

VikkiVixen7188
05-01-2008, 03:37 AM
I wear metal t-shirts and skirts w/fishnets and big ass heals. Cause thats who I am and thats what I feel attractive in.

joanne anderson
05-01-2008, 04:48 AM
I love to wear soft dresses and skirts, some long but often short so I can show off my legs. Blacks and reds are in my wardrobe ( although rather small ) these are colours that are popular in New Zealand.
I've worn tights on many occassions but now only wear stockings ( make going to the bathroom easier )
Although I'm in what one could call the mature age group, I still like to be daring but also enjoy being a tiny bit conservative at times.
Although I am a tall 1.8metres, I choose high heels shoes and boots and find I have no problems with walking or if necessary, running.
Not to adveturous with make-up, I find little is sometimes better than too much but would love to be a bit more daring when it comes to the facial appearance.

Amy Hepker
05-01-2008, 04:55 AM
I try to dress on the up side of things as I like the way they dress. I do have my casual look although it is still a little upscale.

Carly D.
05-01-2008, 09:54 AM
When I first started to expand beyond just pantyhose and high heels it was some clothing that was too much... womanly.. actually not womanly more like a model.. way beyond my ability to pull it off.. and I saw myself as smaller than I was.. and after failure after failure I re-evaluated my dressing and decided one day to buy a dress that was very non descriptive.. which is to say I was a fairly large man and so getting a dress to be what I needed rather than what I wanted, was more important.. and from that day forward I started to buy my style clothing.. stuff that fit me rather than what I wanted originally... as far as makeup; when I'm in the mood to wear makeup I really just want a little, although I wouldn't mind trying to wear eye makeup once just to see how it feels, I only have lipstick and some nail polish.. I'd love to have some girl talk me into letting her put makeup on me..

docrobbysherry
05-01-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't find men attractive, ( or sexy, if u will), no matter how they're dressed. So, I have no clue how to dress sexy in drab.

As an older man, Ive been looking at sexy women my whole life. I KNOW what I find sexy in the way a woman dresses. So, it was natural for me to try and look that way, as a woman, when I started dressing 10 years ago.

A young, hot woman would normally experiment to find out all the different looks she could get away with rite? Especially in the privacy of her home.

Why should it be any different for a beginning CD? I get to express myself as various sexy women. Looks that I love on GGs! And will continue as long as I can get away with it!

JennyLord
05-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I like to be glamorous. I guess this mostly because I come from a pretty poor and rough background in the South East of the UK where "blokes have to be blokes" and a caring and feminine side is somewhat frowned upon. For me this is the ultimate backlash against all that.

cd4l
05-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I choose the skirts and dress's out of choice because for me a long skirt or long dress feels femanine and fun, for me there is nothing better than a long skirt or dress.

EveMarie
05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
I've always like the company of educated sophisticated business women, so I'm drawn to the style of clothing, ie. business suites, slacks and blouses, and mixed with my love of the 1950's pin ups and some of the many women of the time, Marlene, Vivien, Bacall, etc. I love the "Pin-up" style dress.

charlie
05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Half of my CD fantasy is picking out outfits from the clothes that I have. I just love how some things look together. Then getting the nails and lipstick to match is great too!

TSchapes
05-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Part of the fun for me is I see a particular female look, whether it's a sexy night time look, a soccer mom look, a business woman, or a school girl. And I try and see just how close I can get.

I'm still not happy the way my stuff turns out and I'm always looking for things to make them better. Maybe that's the hobby part with me.

I especially love long hair even though I'm told it's not age appropriate, but I never got to do it when I was young, so I'll do it now. That's a big part for me, because I have been dressing so infrequently before this last year or so that every things on the table.

I'm still planning on doing that goth thing for Halloween, and even thought I'm 54, I don't care! I may look totally ridiculous, and I don't care! Just Because!

:tongueout

Love, Tracy

SBryder
05-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I sort of started with a pretty standard attire... especially when I was younger would have to borrow clothes from my mom or sister. A few years ago my girlfriend at the time helped me summon up courage to go out, and the trick was... well, I have more hair on my arms than I like, and can't really explain to others where it might have gone if it disappeared. It started with long sleeves, but it looked bad, and since my gf at the time was into the punkish look, I sort of evolved into a kind of goth look which I am very fond of, using arm warmers and such. It also gives me the excuse to wear killer heels which I love, especially my 6" ones <3

Angela-Russell
05-07-2008, 12:06 AM
As I like to dress a lot younger than my age I tend to go for whatever is in fashion at the time, what the girls out and about are wearing, though I do prefer more "girly" styles, skirts or dresses instead of shorts or jeans. And if I see a pink skirt in the shops, I just gotta have it!

Naima
05-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Satin blouses and satin skirts for me when I go to work. I shimmer wherever I go. haha.

I prefer pastels, and tend to avoid anything black or grey. I do love my florals though.

As for footwear I usually wear flats or just 2 inch heels. Nothing higher as they will make my back hurt.

Makeup, depends on occasion, when I'm at work it will be feminine and girlish nothing heavy. But at weddings or company dinners then yeah, i'll even go for a makeover to get super heavy makeup done! =D

Nikki A.
05-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I guess that since this a partial escape from everyday life you tend to wear things that are different from your drab clothes. I tend to wear what I'm in the mood for when I can. It may just be a bra under jeans or a skirt and a blouse, or get all dressed make up, wig etc.
For the infrequent outings it depends where and how others will dress. I'm not looking to stand out, but rather blend in. I like colorful tops in either mode, especially hawaian shirts

Samantha43
05-10-2008, 09:12 AM
In my younger days I went for the sexy / ****ty look. Short skirts, high heels and lots of makeup. Now that I am a little older, I seem to like the professional look. Business suits and skirts with heels. I also like the casual look with a pair of jeans or a skirt and high heel boots or shoes.

I never did get over the heavy makeup look. I love my makeup! It is the way I prefer to see myself in the mirror, and we all know how important the mirror is!

Sara Jessica
05-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm usually all about blending in with the crowd but my more casual looks often have glamourous elements. I love jeans with jeweled and/or embroidered embelleshments. For example, I hit the mall yesterday with a friend in blue jeans with jewels and other fun bits of metallic beads which go down both legs. Paired with a cami and a little shrug top, I felt like any other girl out there, yet I knew I also had that little bit of extra sparkle in my look. I guess this is my way of dressing outfits up without overdressing for wherever I'm going.

RitaCD
05-10-2008, 10:47 AM
At first I chose the clothes my fantasy girl would wear. Once my feminine sense of reality finally woke up, I realized I would never wear those clothes well. I started chosing clothes a sensible woman my age would wear. Sadly I quit shoping in the junior department. I found out that I relaxed more in my more reasonable outfits and felt more confident in my appearance. It took the unsuspecting public much longer to make me and occasionaly I even escaped notice. So if it would look good on my daughter.............

The two people in your head thing....I used to worry about that too, alot. I thought life would be easier if I only had one person in my brain. As they say be careful of what you wish for, it might come true. Sure enough. For me some sort of intergration process has started and that is far more scarry that a 55 year old trying to look like a 19 year old ****ty/sleezy fantasy.

Amen, Bgirl. When I quit trying to dress like my daughter and more like an older lady my confidence skyrocketed. I do like bright colors (red) but not skimpy or too revealing.

I also agree with Marla, again. I am a sucker for a pretty dress.