PDA

View Full Version : Legal involvement while dressed; what to do?

RockerTerri
05-02-2008, 07:51 PM
A post i saw on here got a few wheels spinning in my mind about something i had never really thought about; If you need to get involved in any type of legal proceeding while dressed, what to do?

Even getting stopped for a simple traffic violation could turn very ugly when the woman in the car hands the cop a driver's license that says "Bob Smith" on it, depending on what kind of person the cop is (not a knock on police, but like any other group of people, some of them can be real jerks).

What to do if you are involved in a car accident? Or if you are involved in, or a witness to, the commision of a crime where you need to file a statement, or even testify in court? Unfortunately, we do live in a world of legal technicalities, judgemental bosses, and ignorant agressive bystanders.

A priority for me is to move to a state that allows people to dictate their own sex on their drivers license, and legally change my name. Unless i am involved in something that digs deeply into my past (and i dont plan to appear in front of a jury anytime, ever, if i can at all help it!) this should prove adequate. But, before that point, or for those people who dress casually, do you have a plan in case this sort of thing occurs?

Somewhat concerned, Terri.

TxKimberly
05-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Assuming you live in the United States you have nothing to worry about.
(I'm sure you would be fine in many other countries but I can't speak for them)

It's real simple - in the United States there is nothing illegal about being cross dressed. There is no need to be scared about being pulled over or involved with the police in any way - at least no more reason to be concerned than you would if you weren't cross dressed.
I wouldn't even care to guess about all the wise cracks he is gonna share with others after he is done giving you the ticket or taking your statement, but while he is dealing with you the policeman IS going to be a professional and will treat you with respect.

jennifer41356
05-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I got pulled over for speeding recently while dressed as a lady and had no problem at all, handed my DI to him and he handed me a ticket:angry: and I live in Texas:eek::ohgoon:

Nicki B
05-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Why, in the 21st century, would you expect police not to be professional (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78907)? :strugglin

If you are going to go out regularly, you have to prepare yourself to deal with things not going to plan - that means accepting that you will have to interact with the world just like anyone else? The difficulties lie primarily in your own head..

TGMarla
05-02-2008, 08:25 PM
....and you wonder why I stay home.

jamie55
05-02-2008, 08:32 PM
terri: look at it this way. He the "law enforcement officer" might think you were dui so he'd surely give you the roadside olympics. In doing so he would get you on the dash cam to show all the others back at headquarters. I would ask when the video was gonna be aired and show up at the appropriate time & place with a bag of popcorn and a soda to see how good I look on video.
Just teasing. I don't think you need to worry. As kimberly said it's not against the law in America to wear a dress or even drive while wearing a dress and heels.

CD Susan
05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I agree that a police officer will act professionaly while dealing with a traffic incident. He might joke about it later with his fellow officers but you won't be there so it is nothing to worry about. I drive while dressed sometimes but my concern is having to deal with an officer that I personally know. I am known by many in the local law enforcement community and would have a lot to explain if caught driving while dressed. I still do it though and think it just adds to the excitement.

Ayame
05-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry but I doubt cops take kind to cross dressers I've been pulled over and searched on more than one occasion just for the way I look. Sure I may of had dyed hair or piercings however I don't go around causing trouble or doing drugs so if they judged me on the way I look who is to say they wouldn't do it to others.

Holly
05-02-2008, 09:31 PM
...If you need to get involved in any type of legal proceeding while dressed, what to do?...The same thing you would do when not dressed. Be courteous and honest.

ConnieLove
05-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I go to this place to dress sometimes,and met a CD there,guess what she was a COP. She confessed to me that sometimes he went to work with panties on.So i'm sure there are others.

RockerTerri
05-02-2008, 09:47 PM
So far, the responses seem positive. I suppose any cop that would be a jerk just because your dressed would find a reason to be if you werent.

Thanks, Terri

JoAnnDallas
05-02-2008, 10:30 PM
My Tri-Ess chapter does out reach seminars. One was with a local Police Department. The question came up about what to do if a Police Officer treats you badly while dressed. The Sargent at the seminar said

1. Write down the officers name
2. Write down the officers badge number
3. Call and report the incident, officers name, and badge number to local Police Station.

Complaints like this get special attention. The office involved will be told of the complaint and asked to explain his actions.

Niya W
05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I'ver gotten a speeding ticket while dressed . The officer was nice and addressed me as ma'am. Totaled a car while en feme. Officer was nice.
One thing you have to remember is cops are trained to be suspicious. Acting nervous draws more attention from cops. Of course I can see why one might be nervousness.

Suzy Harrison
05-03-2008, 12:07 AM
(I'm sure you would be fine in many other countries but I can't speak for them)

It's real simple - in the United States there is nothing illegal about being cross dressed. There is no need to be scared about being pulled over or involved with the police in any way - at least no more reason to be concerned than you would if you weren't cross dressed.
I wouldn't even care to guess about all the wise cracks he is gonna share with others after he is done giving you the ticket or taking your statement, but while he is dealing with you the policeman IS going to be a professional and will treat you with respect.

Same here - been there done that.

I got stopped for speeding and handed over my licence when asked to do so.... and waited for all hell to break loose..... guess what happened?

Nothing !...., no smiles, surprises, jokes, funny looks or anything. He could clearly see that the photo on the licence and the name and the sex indicated bore no relation to who was driving the car, but that wasn't a problem.

All he said to me was ... "ah it's a shame because further up the road the speed limit increases and you would have been okay!"

If I got stopped again it wouldn't worry me at all..

Reba Kay
05-03-2008, 06:22 AM
As far as cops being jerks, Its all in the luck of the draw, as in any dealing with anyone in the real world. One mite treat you like anyone else that gets stopped, another mite be a real jerk. There is nothing he can really do to legally, because you are wearing a dress. Just try to stay away from one of those towns, where the local cop, is also the judge, the mayor, the road commisiner, if you know what I mean.
I guess I have really lucked out. Both times I have been stopped, it went real well. Once by a State Police and the other by a local officer. I have posted the story about the State Officer stop in another thread before, I do believe he was one of us himself. Anyway, at the end of both stops, both officers said the same thing " Have Fun" Thanks, Reba Kay

Bethany_Anne_Fae
05-03-2008, 06:28 AM

Hiya, I got pulled over for speeding in Louisianna 8 years ago and treated the officer as politely as I would have non-dressed. Not a problem :) He gave me my ticket, was polite, professional and courteous all the way.

He did have me get out of my truck and walk to the back while he researched my ID and such so somewhere out there is a "cops" video waiting to be shown of me waving and sayin "hi Mom!" on it lol

Hope that helps

Zara

MsJoann
05-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Rule Number One:
If you're going to have drinks, stay well under your limits.
Under no circumstances should you let a police officer smell liquor when he approaches your car. If so, you'll be in for a wild night.

TxKimberly
05-03-2008, 09:09 AM
. . . somewhere out there is a "cops" video waiting to be shown of me waving and sayin "hi Mom!" on it lol . . .

LOL Yeah, that I could see!

Rule Number One:
. . . If you're going to have drinks, stay well under your limits.
. .
Yeah, this would fall into that part where i said you didn't need to worry "at least no more so than you would if you weren't crossdressed". DWI isn't going to be fun no matter what your wearing. I figure DWI while dressed would be just about the worst nightmare you can think of. Imagine spending the night in a drunk tank crossdressed - brrrrrrrr. . . .

Sinthia
05-03-2008, 10:55 AM
My Mom told me that when a cop stops you, you be the nicest guy in the world. It might keep you out of a ticket. And that has proven to be true. As for a cop talking to his fellow officers about a CD, that might cost him his job, so I would not worry about it. They have probably seen a few CDs already, and it is no big deal to them any more. So just dress whenever you want to and behave yourself when out on the town.

Amy Hepker
05-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Well, don't run, just stay there and take it like a woMAN. You are there and don't have any choice, just do what you have to do, and answer all questions as true as you can.

trannie T
05-03-2008, 03:09 PM
If you wish to avoid contact with law enforcement stay within the law. I generally drive carefully and legally, when dressed I tend to be even more cautious.
In the event of an accident or some other incident everyone will be more concerned about the event than how you are dressed.
A few years ago I was witnessed a serious traffic accident in San Francisco. The innocent victims in a small car were all dressed in latex fetish clothing. They laughed about how they were dressed, everyone else was concerned about the accident.
I enjoy going out, the remote possibility of an unhappy incident with the cops is not enough of a disincentive for me to stay in the house.

Joy Carter
05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry but I doubt cops take kind to cross dressers I've been pulled over and searched on more than one occasion just for the way I look. Sure I may of had dyed hair or piercings however I don't go around causing trouble or doing drugs so if they judged me on the way I look who is to say they wouldn't do it to others.

Officers can only search based on "probable cause." (Officer belives that a crime has or will take place) Otherwise they have no legal authority to pull you over, let alone search, based on your looks.

debbeelee1
05-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I only drove my car once while dressed en femme, the other times my SO drives. I don't think I'll ever drive our semi while dressed, it would be too hard to climb up into with heels!:battingeyelashes:

Mollyanne
05-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I go to this place to dress sometimes,and met a CD there,guess what she was a COP. She confessed to me that sometimes he went to work with panties on.So i'm sure there are others.

Actually I was a police officer myself in NYC and I wore not only panties but stockings(stay-ups) as well. And yes there are many of us!!!

:love: Mollyanne

Vivian Best
05-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Actually I was a police officer myself in NYC and I wore not only panties but stockings(stay-ups) as well. And yes there are many of us!!!

:love: Mollyanne

I think it's safe to say there are some of us in every occupation known to man (or woman. He he)

Jilmac
05-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Being stopped by a cop while dressed shouldn't be a problem in any state. On the other hand if you're naked you might just cause a ruckus. Luv and :hugs: Jill

Seville
05-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Officers can only search based on "probable cause." (Officer belives that a crime has or will take place) Otherwise they have no legal authority to pull you over, let alone search, based on your looks.

The Supreme Court of the United States has determined
that speeding and other minor infractions are NOT a
valid reason to search a car. Do not give a cop
permission to search your car.

Joy Carter
05-03-2008, 11:29 PM
The Supreme Court of the United States has determined
that speeding and other minor infractions are NOT a
valid reason to search a car. Do not give a cop
permission to search your car.

In a way, yes. But if an officer detects evidence, he can search an auto (passenger compartment) without a permission. Evidence such as the smell of a drug or paraphernalia that is in plain view, just to mention a few. And yes an officer can ask to search, even he has not seen any thing. But you have to give permission for them to do so. I worked narcotics and many didn't know this. And we didn't have to tell them either. But in reality we targeted known drug routes, and neighborhoods used by offenders.

TxKimberly
05-04-2008, 12:30 PM
. . . Do not give a cop permission to search your car. . .

. . . but if you don't have illegal stuff in your car you have nothing to worry about. Also, I'm pretty sure one our policemen/women or lawyers will can tell us for sure, but I'm fairly certain that if the officer really wants to search your car, he IS going to. If he can't find a real obvious reason to do it despite your protestations, I'm fairly sure all it takes is you spending a little quality time with the officer while he waits for warrant or some other authorization to arrive.

Kierci
05-04-2008, 02:16 PM
I have been asked on a few occasions to remove the wig so the officer could make a match to my ID. Once was on company property (I am a truck driver), I told him the company did not know I was a cd which is why I was back in the corner of the lot behind trailers. He said as long as my DL comes back clean there will be no reason that night that they will need to find out about it. He was just checking our lot for people stealing stuff. other wise I have been stopped at random but never any bad situations, maybe a double take from the DL but hey.....:devil:

shannonsilk
05-04-2008, 02:49 PM
I was pulled over for making a right turn where it said no turn on red. It was Dec26. He came back with my license and said it was clean and wished me a happy holiday and let me go. No ticket.
When I handed him my license he just asked if I was " male name" and I said yes.

victoriamwilliams1
05-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I have been asked on a few occasions to remove the wig so the officer could make a match to my ID. Once was on company property (I am a truck driver), I told him the company did not know I was a cd which is why I was back in the corner of the lot behind trailers. He said as long as my DL comes back clean there will be no reason that night that they will need to find out about it. He was just checking our lot for people stealing stuff. other wise I have been stopped at random but never any bad situations, maybe a double take from the DL but hey.....:devil:

Personally I would question the random stop! For me I have had 3 traffic stops over the past 12 years while dressed and no major problems.

I think the root of he question may be this:

You witness a crime while dressed and you are questioned by the police, later you are called to court as the witness! what do you do?

In the closet and this happens:

Don't invite your wife to the trial!
Make sure it is not a major story that will be covered by the press.
Hope it does not come out from the defense or prosecutor.
Dress as your birth gender

Out of the closet:

If you feel that you want to present yourself enfem at court if they will allow it.

For me I would hope none of this happens. I do not know what I would personally do. I do know if called to court you have to go.

The next question is what would happen if you where on the otherside of the law?

Suzy Harrison
05-05-2008, 05:47 AM
In Australia the Police can search your car at any time and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

It wouldn't bother me at all as I've never been involved in drugs or anything illegal. I'd tell them to look as much as they like... ..and while you're searching look out for the $2 coin I dropped behind the drivers seat some time ago...

Joy Carter
05-05-2008, 07:24 AM
. . . but if you don't have illegal stuff in your car you have nothing to worry about. Also, I'm pretty sure one our policemen/women or lawyers will can tell us for sure, but I'm fairly certain that if the officer really wants to search your car, he IS going to. If he can't find a real obvious reason to do it despite your protestations, I'm fairly sure all it takes is you spending a little quality time with the officer while he waits for warrant or some other authorization to arrive.

Kim an officer has to have "probable cause" to search a car. In other words. He see's evidence of a gun. Bullets in plain view. Or drug paraphernalia, plain view. If an officer can't articulate why he searched. The search would be deemed illegal, and any incriminating evidence would be in-admissible in a court of law.
So no, officers can't search just because he may want to. Just know that the Constitution protects you from unreasonable searches. So don't give up your rights easily. Just say no if asked to search.

JoAnnDallas
05-05-2008, 08:22 AM
My Tri-Ess chapter has had a police officer or two speak at one of past meetings. Great way to ask all the CD related questions.

Roberta Llyan
05-05-2008, 03:30 PM
but while he is dealing with you the policeman IS going to be a professional and will treat you with respect.

This IS definitely debatable.

TxKimberly
05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
This IS definitely debatable.

Have you had an officer be less than professional while dealing with you? Mind you, I don't doubt for second that he's gonna talk a LOT of trash with his mates when he's done, but have you had one be less than professional while dealing with you? If so, I think that would make you the first I've heard of first hand.

Niya W
05-05-2008, 09:59 PM

Lets See I know one CD cop, a TS cop that transitioned on the job and two prison guards. You really never know who you got under that wig and make up. Just look at J edger hover

Butterfly Bill
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
In the course of 16 years of being out I have been stopped by policemen in my car or in a parking lot more times than I can count, and the overwhelming majority of them have not mentioned how I was dressed. A few have asked "why are you wearing a dress?" and I have said that I consider myself a transgendered person, and that has stopped them from questioning further. Nowhere in the U.S. is it illegal to crossdress. However, wearing a disguise when committing a crime is, and if they observe actually observe you in some kind of suspicious activity (especially of the larcenous kind) and you are dressed to fully pass, this might complicate matters.