PDA

View Full Version : Breast Forms and Allergies

Isabella.Wai
05-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Ladies,

I'd like your advice on breast forms. I have a pair of wonderful silicone breast forms that I bought from Glamour Boutique at a conference. While they are wonderful and feel great, the problem is that they cause redness and irritation (actually little welts) against my skin if I wear them for long periods. The same goes for the self-adhesive bra that they sell at Wal-Mart. I think I may have a silicone allergy as I when I wear stockings with a silicone layer to keep my thigh highs up, I also get a reaction.

As you can imagine, this creates quite a dilemma... "What's a girl to do?" especially when you don't have breasts of your own. Of course, I could do the birdseed thing, but I rather get some realistic breast forms that I can wear all day and maybe even use an adhesive.

So do any of you have the same problem and how do you get around it?

Have any of you tried PALS and silicone forms and noticed a difference? Any adhesives that would be good for sensitive skin?

Thank you for your help!
-Izzy

docrobbysherry
05-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm a bit confused by your post. All my silicone forms r covered in a thin layer of plastic film to protect them. Is it possible you're allergic to plastic?
Otherwise, my guess is it's the adhesives! And my thigh highs have a rubbery film to hold them up, not silicone!

Altho I graduated from them years ago, I used to use foam forms. Another alternative is, pocket bras, to hold the silicone forms away from your skin.

Isabella.Wai
05-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Sorry if my post was confusing. Yes, the breast forms do have a plastic film... so the plastic (whatever it's made of) could be the cause. Now I haven't tried adhesives yet, except for the stuff that comes with the Wal Mart forms (the wash after you wear them and they become tacky again type). I'm interested in trying spray adhesives (Hollister, Stay-on, or 3M) with my non-adhesive forms, but if I'm already having problems without adhesives I guess it would be a problem with it (unless the adhesive provides some sort of protective coating).

My thigh highs have the "rubbery" coating as well... I just assumed it was a silicone type of material.

The silicone bra is a good idea, but I want forms that I can wear without a bra and wear with any type of pretty bra that I buy at the store. Hopefully it's not a case of "I can't have my cake and eat it too." :(

CharleneT
05-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm guessing here ... maybe cover that plastic with another type that you do not react to ? You could contact the seller of the forms to find out exactly what plastic it is. If you test out different types, you might find one that you do not react to - then glue it to the forms.

sterling12
05-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Just a guess, but are you shaving your chest just before you wear The Forms? Your skin can be very sensitive after shaving; and if that's the case, I would shave the day before.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Raychel
05-04-2008, 12:40 PM
My wife has the same reactions to the gripper strips on some bra's and nylons. She has to be sure that any items that she buys does not have any sort of silicone on it. or she will get the same welts.

I would try a pocket bra, and see if that helps the situation. I would guess that it would solve the problem.

:2c:

Isabella.Wai
05-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Thank you all for your responses.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about shavin my chest as I naturally don't have much hair thus this couldn't be the situation. I think I have an allergy to the plastic of the silicone breast forms. It is a good idea to look into the type of plastic my forms are made of, but I unfortunately don't have the details... perhaps I should contact glamour boutique. POcket bras are another good idea, but I hope to find something where I can wear my own pretty bras and wear breast forms with adhesives.

Any of you have had similar reactions or to the "grippers" of stockings or bras but done okay with the PALS breast forms? I"m thinking about getting some PALS if they seem to be less allorgenic?

Angie G
05-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Maybe a layer of cloth on the back of your forms would help. :hugs:
Angie

Isabella.Wai
05-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks Angie for the idea. I was thinking about maybe putting them in a stocking and seeing if that helps. I have tried tissues behind the forms and this helps with the reaction as well. But ultimately it doesn't allow me to use adhesives. :(