PDA

View Full Version : Your own prejudices....

heathr1
05-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Although I work in a heavily female staffed career and a couple of the men I work with are openly gay and occasionally openly dress in women colleagues' clothing and make-up with their support and often initiation, I cannot bring myself to owning up to my very rare and infrequent spells of wearing a skirt and/or make-up in privacy.

Maybe it is because I'm not comfortable with my dressing myself, even if I'm sure those around me would be if I told them.

If the above makes sense, can anyone else here identify with this?

docrobbysherry
05-04-2008, 10:52 AM
There's a reason so many of us live in the closet! And it's NOT just because we can't pass in the outside world!

Scotty
05-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Because once the cat is out of the bag it's very difficult to put him back.

This is why I do not come out to anyone...

victoriamwilliams1
05-04-2008, 03:02 PM

This is why I do not come out to anyone...

Thats the truth!

vikki2020
05-04-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm pretty comfortable with my dressing, and feel good about it, but I don't think I'd want to share that fact at work.You can make great friends at a job, but work is work,and your private life really has no place there.If others can show up at your workplace dressed, that's great,but you might just smile, tell them they look good, and go on with your own business.

Amy Hepker
05-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, if nothing else you could always take your stuff to work and change there, that way you wouldn't have to go out in the real world that way. Just tell everyone you are trying it out to find out why they do it.

Tracy Hazel Lee
05-04-2008, 06:13 PM

In my opinion, the only way to 'get the cat out of the bag' is to destroy the bag.

Putting it back is not really an option. :)

Celeste
05-05-2008, 09:13 AM
I am there right along with you.I always stop short of coming out to others because I understand they can't see my world from their vantage point.They would have to be extremely close for me to explain the answers to important questions.Lets say,I would not feel completely comfortable coming out to them without explaining some details about my sexual orientation along with reasons for my dressing.

Then,it would be more likely they would understand my choices as a selection of a color from a palette and they could see I'm only blending and mixing them.To the rest of the world we appear to be gender confused.I feel if I elect to come out to someone, it will be because they are bi,cd or related to someone who is and can understand that I'm not gender confused only willing to see things from a different perspective in indifferent times.

MentalMercury
05-05-2008, 09:26 AM
I've talked about this alot with friends of mine who know about me. It's about embarrassment that you really just can't help. I'm assuming the other guys you're talking about who dress up don't really do it for personal satisfaction, but more of a reaction or just a fun/funny thing to them. It's quite different when you are doing it because it makes you feel good, you can't help but be really shy about it.

Angie G
05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
If you feel that you would prefer to keep your dressing to yourself then that's up to you No one say you must come out. Just do what feels right for you hun It's your call whatever you wish.:hugs:
Angie