PDA

View Full Version : New York

rocval2001
05-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Does any one know the laws [or where to find them?] in NY for transexuals at work ? Does this come under EOE ?

Thanks
Valerie

Valeria
05-06-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but New York currently has an employment non-discrimination law for sexual orientation (so gay/lesbian people are protected), but not for gender identity. Depending on the details, some federal court districts have held that discrimination against someone for variant gender presentation is a form of sex discrimination (and thus covered by the same laws that protect women).

If you've had an actual problem, I'd contact someone like Lambda Legal.

rocval2001
05-06-2008, 05:21 PM
No problem - but if I were to come out at work and loss my job due to it would I have recoarse ? Just preparing in case .......

Val

CaptLex
05-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Val,

You can try asking these people: http://www.srlp.org/index.php?sec=01A&page=about

KeriB
05-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but New York currently has an employment non-discrimination law for sexual orientation (so gay/lesbian people are protected), but not for gender identity. Depending on the details, some federal court districts have held that discrimination against someone for variant gender presentation is a form of sex discrimination (and thus covered by the same laws that protect women).

If you've had an actual problem, I'd contact someone like Lambda Legal.

I believe that NYC is covered by ENDA.. as well as Suffolk County. Checking these things out myself....