PDA

View Full Version : Woolworths!

Angela-Russell
05-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Replying to a thread earlier brought back a few memories from when I was younger(a lot younger lol), so, I've got a question. Does anyone remember when Woolworths used to have a huge make-up counter, with their own brand (called Yvette I think)? I remember buying make-up products there myself, & getting that nice "understanding" smile from the girls on the counter.

Amy Hepker
05-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Woolworths??? My Mother worked at the one in Cedar Rapids Iowa years ago. I do remember them having a lot of cosmetics. But I never bought any back then.

sissystephanie
05-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Replying to a thread earlier brought back a few memories from when I was younger(a lot younger lol), so, I've got a question. Does anyone remember when Woolworths used to have a huge make-up counter, with their own brand (called Yvette I think)? I remember buying make-up products there myself, & getting that nice "understanding" smile from the girls on the counter.

I remember Woolworth's very well. I not only bought makeup there (many years ago!), but also bought myself panties and slips there back then. Even had clerks tell me the pink slip would look good on me! They thought they were joking! Wish I had told them that it was for me!!

Sissy/Stephanie

Girl on the ouside, but man underneath!

Joy Carter
05-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Mom worked there for years. They were called a Five and Dime, back in the mid twentieth century. I never bought any girl stuff back then. But stopped there many times for a soda, on my way to the movies.

Stargirl
05-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Woolworths. What a rush. The make up counter. Theft resistant glass cases. Maybelline. Powder. Compacts.Lipsticks. I was a hot pink girl myself, and of course Tangee. Peachy cream rouge. April Showers talc powder. Evening In Paris perfume, etc. I don't know how they did it, but the perfume was nice. I remember the glass painted oriental windchimes tinkling as the floor fans hit the breeze catching paper. Bobby sox, bobby pins. Halo Shampoo. (in a glass bottle) The service bell. Bing ! Clerks with keys around their necks on a lanyard. There are images online, but nothing can beat going there. I won't go near a Wal Mart. They don't have the same service at all. I was glad to see the live pets vanish from Dime Stores, however. I recall when they used to paint baby turtle shells with paint, and sell dyed chicks. Bad idea. Colored make up is more fun ! And the food counter. Malted milk shakes...

Josey
05-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I recall this store readily as my father in law was a store manager at his in aberdeen south dacota. At the time I was just begining to do limited crossdressing (ie panties). My wife never knew of my interest until some years later. I recall roaming his store looking over all the merchandise with particular interest in the womens section. Didn't buy anything for fear my father in law would know of my fetish. But I enjoyed my visits anyway.

trannie T
05-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Wonder if anyone will feel the same sentiment for WalMart when they go under.

Angie G
05-11-2008, 07:34 AM
I do remember Woolworth's. I got some pantyhose there Just before they closed up. :hugs:
Angie

SherriePall
05-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Woolworth's. Yes. Fond remembrances. I don't think Walmart's would ever generate the same kind of emotional memories. It just doesn't generate the same feelings as the older stores did.

StephanieC
05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I remember the turtles. My parents bought us two and a little plastic dish with a plastic palm tree. They started out perhaps 2-3 inches round, lived some 10 years and grew to be about 4x6x3 inches.

That was a different time.

I still remember 2 pieces of candy for a penny :)

Wendy me
05-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Woolworths we are dating ourselfes........i remember too..............

StephanieC
05-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Yes, Wendy, we are.

But sometimes reminising is nice. That's the benefit of "experience"

victoriamwilliams1
05-12-2008, 01:58 AM

Wow! had not heard that name in years which I do remember.

racquel
05-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Every Saturday my two sisters and I would go get a banana split.They had balloons on the wall and you would break the balloon and pay the price that was on the slip of paper inside,from 1cent up to 49 cents.Since I was a boy I always paid and then they would ditch me to go do girlie things.:eek:

Jocelyn Quivers
05-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Woolworth's, Woolco, GC Murphy's, the fond memories of my childhood.

Stargirl
05-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Wonder if anyone will feel the same sentiment for WalMart when they go under.

When Wal Mart goes under, I will be drinking champagne. Hopefully, the new stores will boast :

Old Fashioned Personal service ! No toxic fumes. No garish lights. No green jello in plastic containers. "Eject O Matic" Button for unruly kids. hee hee.....

Joy Carter
05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Anyone recall "Kresky's" ? Same five and dime but I think the chain was older. Wooden ceiling fans, iron stair railings. All the display counters were dark stained wood. With glass partitions on top of the counters, between the merchandise. They had the best toy counter. :D

SherriePall
05-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Joy -- If we are thinking of the same store, it might be Kresge's. Can anyone back me up on that?

Stargirl
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Joy -- If we are thinking of the same store, it might be Kresge's. Can anyone back me up on that?

Correct. As a matter of fact, "yessum" was a common substitute for "yes Ma'am". Kresge's. Another classy dime store. I recall being depressed when they were closed down and became K Mart ? The toy department. Yes. $ $3.99 for a doll that goes for 75.00 on ebay now.Toys that sell for 5.99 in K Mart hardly fetch 50 cents at yard sales. Times have changed.

Sandygal
05-12-2008, 03:10 PM
How about Montgomery Wards and the store for greenstamps.

Stargirl
05-12-2008, 03:18 PM
How about Montgomery Wards and the store for greenstamps.

I loved green stamps. Gave them to my mother. Not to change the subject, but there are old catalogs from Sears, etc on ebay. I go and look at those from the 1930's to 1960's. I was surprised by the things I remembered. Buried way back in my memory bank. Wishbooks are filled with images of fashions, shoes, etc. toys and household things. Phonographs, TV's. I think Sears sold burros and ponies ! Can't recall if it was Wards or Sears.

Lissa Stevens
05-12-2008, 03:43 PM
I used to go downtown to the library and then I would go to Woolworths and SS Kresges. Woolworths had great hot fudge sundaes and chicken. Those were the good old days of dime stores. We had a small one in the neighborhood that had the old wooden floors and glass cases. I loved those stores.

trannie T
05-12-2008, 03:48 PM

Kresge was a competetor of Woolworth. They entered the discount store business with the K Mart stores.

Annette_boy
05-12-2008, 09:28 PM
McCrory's was also a "Dime Store" of the same time frame them Woolworths and Kresgies were all on the same street in my Neighborhood when I was a Kid . Bought many a gold fish there.
I would also when I was older buy many femmy things at those places it was my kind of budget them LOL

kymmieLorain
05-12-2008, 09:39 PM
I do remember Woolworth's anybody remember Kreskes(sp) I think the predisessor to k-mart.

Kymmie

Seville
05-12-2008, 10:00 PM
The creaky wooden floors...Ah, I can still
hear them now...

And the lunch counters with those
swivel stools...fell off quite a bit
getting on and off...