PDA

View Full Version : if something should happen while you are 'underdressed'

karinels
05-11-2008, 07:34 PM
as a volunteer fire fighter who is certified in cpr and first aid, i was wondering if anyone had thought of the unthinkable. how would you react if you were put in a situation where you needed emergency attn? say you were in an auto accident and was wearing hose at the time. the first thing that will happen when they put you in the ambulance is gonna be cutting off your clothes. i ask because i responded to a 'heart attack' victims house not long ago that involved an older cd, and some of the comments from a couple of our members were not pleasant. i did get gruff with them and stated we are not to judge how people live, nor are we to react to how they present themselves. but ignorance runs rampid in these professions as well, i just wanted to remind everyone of that. i hope the guys i reprimanded will keep to the 'hippa' laws and not say anything to anyone that could embarrass or offend the victim or their family, but after hearing the comments, im not sure openmindedness is emphasised enough in these professions.

RockerTerri
05-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I have to say that most firefighters, paramedics, and police officers i have met are those things first, and any other prejudices they may have take a distant back seat when they are working, especially in an emergency. I very very highly doubt that anyone would make any less effort to save someone's life simply because they didnt agree with what they were wearing.

Of all the people that could react badly to a CD, these would be the ones i am the least worried about, especially in a life or death situation.

Terri

Emily Anderson
05-11-2008, 07:40 PM
If I were to be found half-dead, or injured enough to require prompt medical care, the last thing on my mind would be the panties I'm wearing.

Cheryl Anne
05-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I agree with Emily. I go out fully dressed and could be in an accdent. What I'm wearing will be the last thing on my mind.

I will want to know if I chiped a nail or my hair is a wreck. :D :D :D

karinels
05-11-2008, 07:59 PM
great posts, lol. i think police, ff, emt's who would react badly are more than likely insecure about themselves.

Nicole Erin
05-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Then there is the absolute unthinkable - what if you were not wearing clean panties?!? :eek:

But yeah I don't think I would be worried what they would think...
Besides, I am not going to let "what if" stand in the way of how I like to dress

Jeannie
05-11-2008, 08:26 PM
This subject has been discussed between my self and my wife on a number of occasions and although I have asked her to try and rip what ever I have on off before the emergency people arrive I know that it will be the last thing on her mind. So this is yet another reason why I don't go out dressed as of right now. Yes I know it shouldn't worry me and I shouldn't care what others think, but I have to and that is my cross to bear and only mine. I too work for a very closed minded organization and this sort of thing is just not tolerated no matter how everyone says it is for they are only kidding themselves to think other wise.

Jeannie

Kate Simmons
05-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I was already part of a "worse case scenerio" three years ago when I collapsed at the club. I was taken by ambulance to the ER half in and half out of femme (they removed my wig and pantyhose to help my body breathe). Everyone from the EMT in the ambulance (he even asked if I preferred being called Ma'am) to the ER staff was totally professional. The only "negative" comment I heard was one nurse saying to another she did not understand how I could wear those hot breast forms. The worse part of the whole experience was that I had to call my wife at 3 AM to pick me up. The courteous ER staff had given me nail polish remover pads and helped me clean up my face and given me a bag to put my clothes in and scrubs to wear home. What was said out of earshot, I do not know but the experience was a more or less postive one for me, considering the circumstances.:)

Lisa Rose
05-11-2008, 08:45 PM
It happened to me. I ignored any possiblities. Was treated professionally. If they said anything it was out of my earshot. I also hope your coworkers have learned from the experience. If they haven't I'm sure they're headed for a clash in their profession environment sometime in the future.

Babette
05-11-2008, 08:47 PM
I only hope I'm awake to see their faces and reactions. Oh what a Kodak moment indeed.

All kidding aside, under this circumstance, I would be extremely thankful for any emergency assistance I receive. What I am wearing is my last concern.

Babette

trannie T
05-11-2008, 09:15 PM
If you're wearing boys underwear or girls underwear just make sure it's clean. Mom was right wear clean underwear just in case you get hit by a bus.

Bobbi Lynn
05-11-2008, 09:37 PM
If you're wearing boys underwear or girls underwear just make sure it's clean. Mom was right wear clean underwear just in case you get hit by a bus.
If you get hit by a bus, I'll bet your underware won't be clean any more!:eek:

Cristi
05-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Of all the things the keep me from doing what I want in life, this 'what if' isn't even on my radar.

If I listened to every little 'yeah, but what if', I'd never do ANYTHING fun!

Like somebody above already stated, if I am in a serious accident or having a heart attack, the LAST think I'm going to worry about is what people think of my panties. I honestly spend more time thinking about the 'what ifs' like 'What if I split my pants in public while bending over and there is no way to cover up?' since that has actually happened to me in the past and will more than likely happen again someday. (BTW: I got through that evening by wrapping my jacket around my waist and tying the arms together. Thank goodness it was cool enough to be wearing a jacket!)

Andrea85
05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
It wouldn't bother me if something happened to me if I was underdressed, or even if I was fully dressed. I actually like it when people that don't know me to find out stuff like that.

CD Susan
05-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I don't worry about the 'what if' senarios either. If I did my life would be awfully boring.

sterling12
05-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Recently had a good friend take a fall at one of our local GLBT Watering Holes. Had a serious compound fracture of the Femur and emergency medical attention was needed ASAP. Babs was dressed completely en femme.

NOTHING was said to Babs, and she got quick attention. I think that's the norm, most PROFESSIONALS have seen it all and someone crossdressed would be a ho-hum event. I spent a lot of years working in an E.R., some guy with ladies underwear wouldn't even rate a comment....we all wait to talk about the really kinky stuff!

Back to Babs. When she got to The hospital, she was very concerned about her wife arriving and herself still being dressed. They didn't even bat an eye! They most graciously got her into a gown and her makeup removed BEFORE The hubby arrived. I think that's a lot more typical, medical people are taught to leave their opinions at home and render care for the patient.

I am in a couple of groups and you would be amazed at the number of police and retired cops among our numbers. Same thing with firefighters, same thing with medical personnel. I know they won't be condemning anyone who wears women's clothing.

IF you get hurt, IF you get picked up in an ambulance, IF you go to The E.R., and IF you end up staying in a hospital, I wouldn't worry about it very much. Everybody eventually ends up with a hospital gown, then your biggest concern might be "keeping the hatch closed." They will put your panties and Bra in a little plastic bag, you can put them back on when you leave.

Peace and Love, Joanie

racquel
05-12-2008, 03:51 AM
I was mugged once and was cut very badly when hit on the head several times with a beer bottle.After I made it to the hospital they had me remove my outer clothing and provided a sheet to cover me in bra and panties with bright red toe nail polish on and I never heard a comment or even a giggle.These people are very proffessional and have my respect.:thumbsup:

jessikasummerfox
05-12-2008, 05:18 AM
Well, if it happened to me, I am sure I would be embarrassed and a little worried about other people's reactions. But honestly, when it comes right down to it, I would dearly hope that any first responders would treat my immediate health issue without letting my gender stuff interfere with that.

But setting that aside, I want to cheer and say "good for you!" for standing up for the older CD's hippa rights (and by extension everyone else's too.) Those kinds of little actions make big differences in my opinion, and it is not always easy to speak up when something like this happens.

:go:

Jenny Doolittle
05-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Hi All,

I am retired from the profession in this discussion, and I can say that it would be a rare case that you would not recieve the needed service to save a life.

I think it is true that these professions are considered very macho, but I think we all can understand that beign a CD crosses all career choises, and quite possibly because a CD may have taken this career to prove to themself that they are "all man" could very well be Transgendered. Plus, the other thing about these professions is that they have seen it all.........so doent be too concerned. Sure the members on the squad may joke about their last run but so what, dont we talk,

Melinda G
05-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm sure you are aware, that in your own situation, there is always the possibility of stepping on a nail, or twisting your ankle at a fire scene, and your buddies will immediately pull off your boots, to examine the injury. I don't know if your nails are painted, or your legs shaved, but even if they don't say anything at the moment, they probably would behind your back. And you have to work with these guys. Just a thought, that I'm sure you've considered.

Jamie001
05-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Why worry about it? Those guys don't have control over what color your toenails are painted when you are not at work and not in uniform. It is none of their business.

I'm sure you are aware, that in your own situation, there is always the possibility of stepping on a nail, or twisting your ankle at a fire scene, and your buddies will immediately pull off your boots, to examine the injury. I don't know if your nails are painted, or your legs shaved, but even if they don't say anything at the moment, they probably would behind your back. And you have to work with these guys. Just a thought, that I'm sure you've considered.

Billie Jean
05-12-2008, 02:00 PM
as a volunteer fire fighter who is certified in cpr and first aid, i was wondering if anyone had thought of the unthinkable. how would you react if you were put in a situation where you needed emergency attn? say you were in an auto accident and was wearing hose at the time. the first thing that will happen when they put you in the ambulance is gonna be cutting off your clothes. i ask because i responded to a 'heart attack' victims house not long ago that involved an older cd, and some of the comments from a couple of our members were not pleasant. i did get gruff with them and stated we are not to judge how people live, nor are we to react to how they present themselves. but ignorance runs rampid in these professions as well, i just wanted to remind everyone of that. i hope the guys i reprimanded will keep to the 'hippa' laws and not say anything to anyone that could embarrass or offend the victim or their family, but after hearing the comments, im not sure openmindedness is emphasised enough in these professions.First responders are great because there are so many of them out there and get aid to victims quickly. But at no time should you think that you are professionals. You are amatures in your field, and yes there is a lot of discrimination in the emergengy medical field from paramedics right up to the docs, after all we are just humans who have a job to do. For the most part, we might make an initial statement but we are there to save lives no matter whose it is. As to HIPPA laws, the person could be discharged before establishing who should know what is going on with them. Billie Jean

Deborah Jane
05-12-2008, 02:09 PM
the first thing that will happen when they put you in the ambulance is gonna be cutting off your clothes.

PLEASE!!!...Not my pink lace panties:cry::cry:

Lissa Stevens
05-12-2008, 03:33 PM
In Feb. 2007 I suffered a lung injury. The intial symptoms were the classic male heart attack symptoms. Turned out it was plurasy from inflamed lungs. I had my toe nails painted and they had been for months. Before informing anyone I stripped off the polish. I know this was stupid to wait and I was in extreme pain but I just had to get the polish off before going to the ECC. Turns out after an emergency catheterization and many other tests, I noticed I hadn't done a very good job getting it all off. Did I mention I also work at this hospital? I was scared but no one even blinked.

adelle
05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
hi girlz just to ad to all the responces, we as paramedics emt's and fire fighters do an oath before God that we would help any one whose life is in danger, and if i may be straight forward and get right to the point, if you are in a situation were u are dressed and a emergency worker makes a comment about it? fire his/her ass couse we dont need people like that in the service any were in the world. he or she is not fit to be called a emergency care worker. sorry but that is how i feel
hugz

Daintre
05-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I was taken to the Emergency room by Ambulance earlier this year, everyone was thinking heart attack, I was in severe distress. A nurse told me they where cutting my shirt off to save time and so as not to move me.....My feeling was ...just do it...I lost a very nice bra that day, my concern was only in dealing with the pain, everything else did not matter. Luckily it wasn't a heart attack but an inflammation of the heart sac. (very painful)

Sinthia
05-12-2008, 08:27 PM
What difference does it make if you have an emergency situation, or are just going to the doctor. The general concensus is: You will be treated professionally and courteously. The few times I have dropped my pants at the docs, wearing panties, nothing has been said. As it should be. Besides, it is estimated that as much as 10% of the male population crossdresses, he might have panties on, also. Did you ever think of that.

NatalieBliss
05-12-2008, 08:49 PM
there are good people and bad people in any profession (and lifestyle choice) I have no doubt that regardless of their views on my clothing choice they will give their all and they can think what ever the hell they want too about me. I will give them all my thanks and think what ever the hell I want to about them. :tongueout:

Jan C
05-12-2008, 09:01 PM
It happened to me. I got or,tried to, get out of bed and my back went out. I wound up on the floor, in panties, a nighty and a brand new manicure and pedicure. I was living alone and had to call 911. In about a flash there were about six fire fighters and med techs in my house looking down at me while I tried to keep my nighty down. They gave me my jeans, shoes and let me get my wallet out of my purse. Nothing was said about my clothes, or gender. A couple of them were impressed with my small classic bike collection. They wanted to talk about that and not nail color.

Jan C.

justsearching
05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Wait?!?!? Are they cute guys that would be taking me?!?!? hehe just kidding! AH! i dont know what id do!...well i mean there is nothing i could do but see what happens when i wake up...maybe one of the boys will want to take me home and give me more mouth to mouth! ;)

epsxyblkm
05-12-2008, 11:02 PM
My wife knows about my clothes, and other things. I am more worried that if something happened to me, and she had someone else help her pack up the house. Trying hard to keep everything in once place, but would she remember that it is there. Need to find someone that will take care of all of that for me.

karinels
05-13-2008, 04:05 AM
when i posted this thread i was trying to make aware that closed mindedness occurs in the emergency professions, especially the volunteers, like me. but i am so impressed, as well as inspired by the reactions ive seen here. most of you dont care about scuttlebutt, and even more of you have experienced situations where you needed help, and got it no questioned asked. but, like i said in my post, these guys didnt say anything durogatory till we got back to the house, and that bothered me that they said what they said, thus, i said what i said, but at the same time, i did not out myself. my dressing is a personal thing for me, and id hate to have to put on my best heels to beat them up just cause they dont accept other lifestyles. again, hugs to all, because yall are so understanding and patient towards others, no matter how bias they may be toward us behind our backs. :hugs:

Angie G
05-13-2008, 04:35 AM
How could you react if you nurt that bad you would have to go with it. :hugs:
Angie

Amy Hepker
05-13-2008, 04:36 AM
I guess a lot of people will find out about me sooner, OH WELL!!!

Barbara Joanne74
05-13-2008, 11:05 AM
hi girlz just to ad to all the responces, we as paramedics emt's and fire fighters do an oath before God that we would help any one whose life is in danger, and if i may be straight forward and get right to the point, if you are in a situation were u are dressed and a emergency worker makes a comment about it? fire his/her ass couse we dont need people like that in the service any were in the world. he or she is not fit to be called a emergency care worker. sorry but that is how i feel
hugz

I agree with Adelle. As a Fire Fighter/Paramedic, we are sworn to be professional. If you ever come across one of us that isn't, please inform their supervisor as soon as you can. Yes, there are some of us that dint agree with cross dressing, but we are to keep our mouth shut.

Believe me, there is so much other stuff for us to worry about besides our patients underware, that it may get a second glance, but that is all. Plus, it will make that particular call memorable and different than the rest of the routine calls we have.:)

faithricd
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
I often worry about needing medical attention while underdressed. Though it may be because I am a firefighter and know many not just in the city I work in but also in surrounding towns. The last thing I want is for some of my peers to know I am a CD. Of course if it is a matter of life or death, then I am willing to live with it as opposed to the alternative. Also I have no doubt I would be treated possessional, because in my own experience dealing with all kinds of people you treat them all the same, like they are a member of your own family.

Tomara
05-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I have to agree with most of the other responses , 1st if you need medical attention the last thing you should worry about is what you are wearing , And 2nd if you are woried about the what if`s you will never enjoy yourself. That said I have thought about what if but I dont dwell on it life is too short! Tomara :)