PDA

View Full Version : Will crossdressing hurt a security clearance?

KateSpade83
05-11-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm up for a background check security clearance Tuesday. Will any mention of my past crossdressing that hurt me at past jobs hurt me in getting a security clearance?

Anyone hear got a security clearance?

RockerTerri
05-11-2008, 10:01 PM
IIRC you said at one point you have a job with NASA? I dont think they could care less if you came to work as a CD, they seem like one of very few gub'ment agencies that care about what you do and know, not what you act like or what party you belong to.

Kate Simmons
05-11-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't think so Kate unless it's something that could be used against you.:)

Butterfly Bill
05-11-2008, 10:03 PM
If you are in the closet and you could be bribed or extorted by someone threatening to out you, you could be a risk. If you are out, you shouldn't have to worry.

Stormgirl
05-11-2008, 10:10 PM
How about "Don't ask and don't tell?" I'm in the military and this the one thing I will not open up about at the MOT.

StephiefromSyr
05-11-2008, 10:12 PM
How about "Don't ask and don't tell?" I'm in the military and this the one thing I will not open up about at the MOT.

agreed, if they dont need to know why tell them

Amanda_Robinson
05-12-2008, 01:42 AM
Kate,

There is nothing for you to be worried about.
Suspicious finances and criminal activity/associates are what they are looking for.

~Amanda

victoriamwilliams1
05-12-2008, 01:49 AM
I would not worry either, the do not go that deep unless its ultra secure, I had to go through it 14 years ago for a temp job that required federal background checks.

Joann0830
05-12-2008, 02:07 AM
If you are in the closet and you could be bribed or extorted by someone threatening to out you, you could be a risk. If you are out, you shouldn't have to worry.

Hi, Butterfly Bob said it so right!! If the the Agency that is doing your Background feels that you can be compromised , then you may have a problem. They will normally approach you with the question of " is this a everyday thing or is it something other ". It all depends also on your security clearence as someone else said There is a Background Investigation for snsitive or a Special Background Investigation for a Top Secret. The SBI is really tuff but in both cases You will have to write on paper how this works in your life. Just be honest and if you are out in the open as someone else said, I dont think you have a problem. But if you lie and it is brought out then they have grounds. Good Luck Joann:straightface:

DanaR
05-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Hi, Butterfly Bob said it so right!! If the the Agency that is doing your Background feels that you can be compromised , then you may have a problem. They will normally approach you with the question of " is this a everyday thing or is it something other ". It all depends also on your security clearence as someone else said There is a Background Investigation for snsitive or a Special Background Investigation for a Top Secret. The SBI is really tuff but in both cases You will have to write on paper how this works in your life. Just be honest and if you are out in the open as someone else said, I dont think you have a problem. But if you lie and it is brought out then they have grounds. Good Luck Joann:straightface:

I agree!! Just be honest, tell them only if they need to know.

jessbcuzz
05-12-2008, 04:21 AM
Being that you are in Texas, I am guessing it is a DOD clearance. If this is the case, as long as you haven' told any of your referances...... you will be OK. I had one on active duty. But, when I was in the reserves, by freak chance, someone in my unit found out, and I was actually discharged. 12 years of total service, and I got the boot because I wear woman's clothing. Anyhow, if it isn't a Department Of Defense clearance, you will be all right. If you are in the army, send me a private message.

fun4metoo2004
05-12-2008, 05:39 PM
While I was in the military, it would be a serious security risk. It is something that an intelligence agency could exploit in the mind of the security people.

Niya W
05-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm up for a background check security clearance Tuesday. Will any mention of my past crossdressing that hurt me at past jobs hurt me in getting a security clearance?

If you're out in the open no. Closted yes. The reason being is black mail issue.

KateSpade83
05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your responses. It's not military; it's for my NASA job.

kymmieLorain
05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
I know that it is a factor in a top secret clearance. I know of one CD in Denver area that has one. she disclosed it as a alias.

Kymmie

KandisTX
05-13-2008, 07:54 AM
IN all honesty, my security clearance was never effected even after my first wife blabbered all about my CDing and made up a bunch of lies to my First Sergeant when I was still on active duty. Once they knew about Kandis, there was no more threat of blackmail being used so I was not a security risk.

Kandis:love::rose2:

Edyta_C
05-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Times are different today than when I had various clearances. I don't think that the "contractor" clearances are too nosey. None of my friends were questioned for a Secret level clearance from DISCO (or was it DESCO). Before military service and during the it, I had a number of different clearances w/ Top Secret. For these alot of my family and friends got interviewed. But that was 30 yrs ago now. I would be cautious. I never ever let my secret out during those years. I am sure that would have been a real OUTING!

Hugs Edyta

JoAnnDallas
05-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I used to have a TS Crypto clearance when I was in the USAF. I remember my mother telling me all the neighbors kept asking if I was in trouble because OSI agents had been asking questions about me. They will never talk to your parents, siblings, or grandparents, but they will talk to anyone else that you even look at twice. When you live in a small town like I did back then, it quickly get around that the OSI agents are asking questions. I am sure that by the time they had interviewed 2-3 poeple, the whole town knew who they were and what they were doing.

Julogden
05-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't know the answer to that, but I used to work for a pharmaceutical wholesaler, and I was told by my employers that in order to handle controlled substances, I'd have to pass an FBI background check, wasn't a problem. My brother had Top Secert clearance in the Air Force, he said that they'd be looking at the backgrounds of all his family members, my shenanigans didn't effect his clearance. This was when I was very active and out a lot, and was getting active on-line, so I'm expecting that at least some of my gender stuff showed up in their research.

Carol

Abby
05-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes, if it's Top Secret or better and has anything to do with National defense and/or security.

Abby

Nicki B
05-13-2008, 05:42 PM
I used to have a TS Crypto clearance when I was in the USAF.

Hmmm. Would that be like windtalking, d'you think? :heehee:

JoAnnDallas
05-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Nicki B.....I was in the USAFSS.

VtVicky
05-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I suspect that the real answer will somehow be connected to the previous problem at the previous job.

sterling12
05-13-2008, 10:26 PM
I personally know someone who is an Engineer for one of NASA' Sub-Contractors, working at The Cape. She is going through transition, 24/7, and I'm sure she would have to have a very high clearance. It hasn't effected her job at all, except for the usual junk from some of the colleagues.

Granted, she was smart. Got hold of an advocacy group, had an expert on scene when she announced her plans, and more or less let her advocate spell out what was going to happen. Remember, this is Federal Work and you have a different set of rules from the rest of my "Right To Work State." She also is a body that would be very hard to replace. I'm sure that helped.

Why don't you try and do some research and see what the history has been for TG People around NASA. This might give you some reassurances.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Jenny Wilson
05-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Read this: http://www.okdiversity.com/genderbenders/cia.html#sec3

Tere is a section an transvesticism.

Jenny

CrossdressinGoth
05-14-2008, 12:35 AM
At my workplace I have to pass a background check to be ITAR Certified. From my understanding ITAR is government stuff for security clearance and I asked the HR at my workplace about that when I came out at work about my dressing. She said as long as im not hiding a bomb in my skirt or heels if I wore them to work I would be fine, lol. I think you'll be fine with it in all honesty.

Jamie Parks
05-14-2008, 02:09 AM
When I was in my early twenties I got sponsored for a top secret clearance( just so I could change light bulbs and stuff in a room that I didn't understand anything about what went on in) At that time I was trying to repress any and all feelings I had about dressing, but when I took my polygraph test, me and the person administering the test went over all questions that were going to be asked the are you gay question came up very politely and only once but... when the test was being given he must have asked it 10 times and very aggressively he was starting to piss me off but I had to be cool this was for my job. By the time I was leaving the building I was fuming and I had to wait for a woman who was taking her test the same day as me she came out in tears this angered me even further. When I got back to my jod I told our head of security about the way we had been treated and he said this was normal. My advise is to be careful truth is only the best policy sometimes.

Jamie

KateSpade83
05-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I messed up 85P form, didn't fill it up completely because I thought I would have an in person interview, not a computer fill up. I hope I pass, or else maybe I might lose my big buck easy job NASA contract.

There is a MTF TG working where I'm at. I made a joke maybe I can have a sex change too and you guys wouldn't bitch me out!

Nicki B
05-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Nicki B.....I was in the USAFSS.

On this board, TS most commonly means transsexual.. ;)

And I did know what you meant, really?

KeriB
05-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I hold a "secret" clearance - don't want to get into my job but... I have been told preliminarily, that when/if I transition on the job, it will have no effect on my clearance. HTH...

Stephanie-L
05-17-2008, 10:53 PM
I am in the Navy reserve, and hold a secret clearance, and am eligable for Top Secret if I want to deal with the paperwork (I don't). I have never mentioned my "hobby" but I doubt that it would be an issue if, as others have said, it can not be used as leverage. Since I am somewhat "out", it would be only a matter of dealing with a few people that I choose not to tell if it becomes necessary. I have heard stories of how in depth a TS clearance can get, so if they ask, don't deny, just say "Yes, so what". It would be nice to see if anyone here has actually been an investigator on security clearances, and get their opinion.........Stephanie

Mollyanne
05-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Hi Kate, If you mentioned it before on any type of questionaire then you MUST mention it again. If the agency finds out that you had and didn't mention now this MAY disqualify you. In any event, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

:love: Mollyanne

gintnuh
05-18-2008, 07:34 AM

For my job I have an annual metal health check. People wanting gender re-assignment do not qualify. I do not think that dressing in womans clothes counts as wanting gender re-assigment, but would everyone see it the same way. I plan not to tell.

Scotty

TxKimberly
05-18-2008, 08:23 AM

You know this has come up so many times I wouldr really like to know how it works out for you. Having once held a TSBI, I have a lot of curiosity about it. Would you please let us know what you decided to do and how it works out?

KateSpade83
05-18-2008, 07:04 PM
All I want to do is get the clearance so I can work a long time at my NASA contract job. Or else I might suffer looking for a good job in this recession. Will know in 2 weeks maybe.

jaina
05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
NCAF is more interested in past Felony convictions than they are crossdressing.