PDA

View Full Version : Assuming the mantle

Kate Simmons
05-13-2008, 06:00 AM
While for many of us dressing makes us feel good and right and natural and it seems at times we can live our fondest dreams en femme, I find there is also a sort of intrinsic responsibility that goes along with assuming this mantle. I never take myself that seriously in either mode because I realize that no matter what I do, life will go on without me if I check out tomorrow. I do feel somewhat of a sense of obligation to others within the community to conduct myself in a way that will not bring ostracism upon us as a whole however.

I realize we have a choice to act however we want to when dressed because we have to be true to ourselves and who we are, otherwise we are just putting on some kind of act. There are those who are downright militant at times in their insistance we act a certain way otherwise we are not "feminine" but to me that attitude always comes off as being somewhat prudish and preachy and seems to disallow individuality. So what is the happy medium?

Tough to say in this day and age when everyone seems to have the "answer" but what it really boils down to is personal choice. While we cannot control the actions of others (and I would not want to) we are responsible for what we ourselves do and in the long run by association, that reflects on everyone else, like it or not. What I have found with all of this is that regardless of what mode we are in, we should strive to be the best person we can possibly be and to treat others the way we ourselves would be treated. I realize it doesn't happen overnight but if we display compassion, caring and real humanity in our own lives, it will be demonstrated that we are just regular people and that is what we really want.

Crossdressing can be either a blessing or a curse depending on how we look at it. How we play the cards we were dealt makes all the difference as to how we use our gift. It's not all somber and we can have fun discovering ourselves along the way. The choice is ours it seems. Enjoy it my friends.:)

Paula Rae
05-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Salandra,
A very nice post and you seem to have said it all, I agree with you 100%
and I thank you for your very informative view.

Paula Rae

DAVIDA
05-13-2008, 06:31 AM
Hi Sal!
I totaly agree! It is sad though, that it can take 40+ years to figure that out.

CD Susan
05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Salandra, I agree with what you have said in this post. I think it is always important to project oneself in the best image possible no matter what mode we may be in. Granted we are all individuals and are a very diverse group of people. Diversity is a good thing but we as a part of the complex thing we call society should strive to have ourselves looked at in a positive manner. Try to always show as much class as possible, you will feel better when you do and it helps to promote our cause.

SherriePall
05-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Salandra -- On board with you. Yes, there is a responsibility that goes with the territory. For many folks we are the only CD'ers they have met thus far and what they think of one of us is what they think of all of us. Yet, we can't go around as if we are mourning. You should have fun "playing dress-up" and enjoy yourself while doing so.

tricia_uktv
05-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Salandra,

I agree - but I think the most crucial question is that we should be open and honest within ourselves.

Its a blessing if we let it be so,

Hugs,

Deanna2
05-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Crossdressing can be either a blessing or a curse depending on how we look at it.

I've said before on this forum that I not necessarily see the fact that I often wear a skirt as crossdressing. The skirts and other items I wear do not belong to a woman - they belong to me. How can I be crossdressing when the clothes I wear are mine? Maybe I'm just used to wear a skirt and to me it is just an item of clothing as is a pair of trousers (which I also often wear).

RockerTerri
05-13-2008, 07:56 PM
My personality dosent change much when i am en femme, i might be a bit more reserved, simply to try and not draw more attention to myself.

I dunno, i guess i dont change much. Im just me.

Terri

Seville
05-13-2008, 09:23 PM
...Diversity is a good thing...

Ummm...I'm not so sure about that. With everyone pulling in a different direction, nothing moves ahead.

:2c: