PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Call Me?

CaptLex
05-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Went to the therapist today and (using the HBSOC) he explained to me why a name change is important in the transitioning process. I understand that a change of name shows a serious commitment to transitioning, but I still think I should be able to call myself whatever I want without people doubting that I am who I say I am. :doh:

As many of you know, I have not changed my name legally. I have a female first name which I no longer use in everyday interactions, but I do have to use for legal ones (and which I've kept for sentimental reasons). And my middle name is a slightly longer version of "Lex" - considered a female name in this country, but it's actually gender-neutral in some cultures (like my parents').

Anyway, I've been giving it some thought and I honestly don't know what name(s) I would choose if I were to change it. I would keep some form of "Lex", but other than that, there are no particular names that I feel define me. :idontknow:

Maybe I'll just change my first name to "Capt". :winkp:

So, I'm asking you guys (and girls) that know me . . . if you were to give me a name, what would it be and why? Please note, the why is important. This is mostly for fun, but I would like serious answers, please.

Any takers? :raisedeyebrow:

Kieron Andrew
05-13-2008, 02:31 PM
I would legally change your first name to Lex, dropping ur female name, or having a middle initial of M which signifies the female name but isnt actually it Just Mr Lex M M_____, why? its male, its you and i would be utterly confused if you started changing names now lol...and you are still remembering 'her' for the sentimental reasons

oh and i know the HBSOC rules suck in some part, but he does have a point...it will allow you to jump through more transitioning hoops

CaptLex
05-13-2008, 02:42 PM
I would legally change your first name to Lex, dropping ur female name, or having a middle initial of M which signifies the female name but isnt actually it Just Mr Lex M M_____, why? its male, its you and i would be utterly confused if you started changing names now lol...and you are still remembering 'her' for the sentimental reasons
So you're saying, just plain "Lex M" (no actual middle name, just an initial)? :thinking:

oh and i know the HBSOC rules suck in some part, but he does have a point...it will allow you to jump through more transitioning hoops
Yeah that's what he said - but I'm a rebel. :raspp:

Kieron Andrew
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
So you're saying, just plain "Lex M" (no actual middle name, just an initial)? :thinking:
yup...thats exactly what im saying, no one says you actually have to have a middle name, but why you cant have an initial that signifies something that only you really know???, lots of people do that

Yeah that's what he said - but I'm a rebel. :raspp:you aint lying dude!! :raspp:

ZenFrost
05-13-2008, 02:50 PM
First name Captain, middle name Lex, last name Sparrow?

You know, you really should legally change your name to 'Captain'... that's what I always call you anyway.

Kieron Andrew
05-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Nah Zen....it should be Captain Lex Depp :heehee: or Captain Lex Izzard

Syr_SwitchyGQ
05-13-2008, 02:58 PM
I think I'm with Kieron on the Lex M. M______ idea. Oh, and that would cure you of the initials "MAM" :heehee:

SirTrey
05-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I hate to be a follower....but I also agree with Lex M.....because it's who you identify as now...would only be a legal step in reaffirming who you already are....:)

Cai
05-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I think it's dumb that you should have to change it at all. Your name is your name, male or female. I think I told you, Lex, when I was writing you that check, that I knew a cis-guy with your first name. Plus, your middle name is unisex, whether people believe it or not.

My recommendation would be, if you have to change anything, to just drop the first name or switch positions. If your old name is your middle name, there would be very few cases where people would have to know it.

Kate Simmons
05-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Besides dreamy? Tough one Hon. Seriously, you should pick something easy to remember but difficult to forget, something that reflects your character.:)

CaptLex
05-13-2008, 03:55 PM
First name Captain, middle name Lex, last name Sparrow?
:lol2: Now why didn't I think of that? :heehee:

You know, you really should legally change your name to 'Captain'... that's what I always call you anyway.
Careful, cutie . . . I may just have to smooch you for the third time today. ;)

:thinking: Um yeah, I think I have to . . . :koc:

or Captain Lex Izzard
Now I'm thinking some smart-arse will just shorten that to Capt Lizzard :heehee:

Oh, and that would cure you of the initials "MAM" :heehee:
Good point . . . my friend Phil says I should use my middle name as my first name and adopt a middle name that starts with an "R" so that my initials would be "ARM" . . . but the only R name that I like is Robespierre. :heehee:

CaptLex
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
I hate to be a follower....but I also agree with Lex M.....because it's who you identify as now...would only be a legal step in reaffirming who you already are....:)
Trust me, dude, you're not a follower ;) . . . and I do see your point . . . but I can't help feeling like this:

I think it's dumb that you should have to change it at all. Your name is your name, male or female.

I think I told you, Lex, when I was writing you that check, that I knew a cis-guy with your first name. Plus, your middle name is unisex, whether people believe it or not.
Yup, I remember we talked about that.

My recommendation would be, if you have to change anything, to just drop the first name or switch positions. If your old name is your middle name, there would be very few cases where people would have to know it.
I thought about that, actually . . . doesn't quite flow well in opposite places, though. :tongue:

Besides dreamy?
Haha :koc:

Tough one Hon. Seriously, you should pick something easy to remember but difficult to forget, something that reflects your character.
I think that's what Lex is - at least to me. :smilep:

So you guys think it should just be plain "Lex", not the whole name that "Lex" comes from? (Kieron, you already answered that and I know how Cai feels) :raisedeyebrow:

Shelly Preston
05-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi Lex

you shuold quote the man in black and ask them if the ever hear of a boy named Sue

Or just simply put Lex at the front and leave the rest

Flameboy
05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Before I changed my name to Dave (well, David), I had a unisex name that was the shortened form of my original name. I'd planned to stick with it - I'd made the change legal a number of years ago anyway. However, in mainstream British culture, my name was generally thought of as female until proven otherwise (despite being a unisex name in South Asian communities) and it really started to annoy me - and I'm pretty sure it hindered my passing - so when I came out as trans to my family, I asked my mum what I would have been called. The answer was David, so after thinking about it for a while and discussing it with various people, I decided the time was right to change my name.

Now, I fully agree that noone should have to change their name to suit other people; however I really do believe that by changing my name to one that is definitely male it's helped me pass when I'm introduced to someone new, especially if it might otherwise have been 50/50. You already know you're happy with the name Lex, so it would seem fairly sensible to change your name to that. I like Kieron's suggestion of just having M as your middle name - a bit like Harry S Truman, I believe, his S didn't stand for anything either. (Of course, I know absolutely nothing about Truman, so maybe he's not the sort of person you'd want anything in common with!)

Dave

Kieron Andrew
05-13-2008, 04:48 PM
You already know you're happy with the name Lex, so it would seem fairly sensible to change your name to that. I like Kieron's suggestion of just having M as your middle name - a bit like Harry S Truman, I believe, his S didn't stand for anything either. (Of course, I know absolutely nothing about Truman, so maybe he's not the sort of person you'd want anything in common with!)

great analogy dude, Harry S Truman...good one :D

yes i did the same thing for the same reasons youve stated above, went from female to androgenous to male names, everyone kept telling me to keep my female name as it is also known to be a male name too, but i wanted to get away from it but still keeping some contact with it for my parents sake (big mistake keeping your name to suit others), so i changed it to an androgenous form of the name, but quickly realised my path was one of transition and the name was still getting me read as female ALOT, albeit an androgenous female, but still female never the less, then I realise I could still show respect to my parents by chosing a male first and second name retaining my initials of my former female name...hense how i came up with Kieron Andrew.....

Lex you could go by what ever you wanted legally but retain Lex when people ask what you want to be known as

Tristan
05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Have you considered taking two middle names? The second middle name no one would ever really need to know except social security. So maybe you could do Lex A(the name Lex comes from) M M ? I like the idea of going Captain Lex M hehe but that's cause I think of you as my Captain.

ZenFrost
05-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Careful, cutie . . . I may just have to smooch you for the third time today. ;)

:thinking: Um yeah, I think I have to . . . :koc:

Really, I dare you to find a post where I didn't call you Captain or a derivative thereof.

CaptLex
05-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Really, I dare you to find a post where I didn't call you Captain or a derivative thereof.
Check your inbox . . . :whistling:

CaptLex
05-13-2008, 08:07 PM
you shuold quote the man in black and ask them if the ever hear of a boy named Sue
Haha, I have a friend who already calls me "a boy named Sue". :heehee:

I like Kieron's suggestion of just having M as your middle name - a bit like Harry S Truman, I believe, his S didn't stand for anything either.
You know, Dave, I was thinking about Harry S Truman earlier, when Kieron mentioned just using the initial. I wonder if he got tired of people asking him what the S was for? :heehee:

Nice avatar, btw :thumbsup:

Lex you could go by what ever you wanted legally but retain Lex when people ask what you want to be known as
That's pretty much the situation now. :)

Have you considered taking two middle names?
Yeah, actually . . . the thought occurred to me earlier today.

I like the idea of going Captain Lex M hehe but that's cause I think of you as my Captain.
I feel another smooch coming on . . . :koc: :bg:

SirTrey
05-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Trust me, dude, you're not a follower . . . and I do see your point . . . but I can't help feeling like this:

Originally Posted by Cai
I think I told you, Lex, when I was writing you that check, that I knew a cis-guy with your first name. Plus, your middle name is unisex, whether people believe it or not.
Oh, I completely agree with you that you should NOT have to change your name...I was saying what I liked for you IF you wanted to.....but you do NOT have to change your name to be who you are, obviously.....and if you don't want to, no therapist, or anyone else should tell you that you should....I know you, and you most definitely are a dude, and very transitioned, no matter what your legal documents say....and Cai is right, I think your first name is less commonly a bio guy name, but some guys do have it...middle name, too, I agree that it can be unisex....if you do decide to change it, though, you could always just drop the last letter of your middle name and that is most definitely a male name....and kind of sexy, actually....:)

CaptLex
05-13-2008, 08:34 PM
if you do decide to change it, though, you could always just drop the last letter of your middle name and that is most definitely a male name....and kind of sexy, actually....:)
Haha . . . actually I was also thinking of Alexei . . . like Russian royalty. ;) :heehee:

ZenFrost
05-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Check your inbox . . . :whistling:

:hmph: Check yours.

Let me rephrase: Find a post where I specifically call you 'Lex.' Not CaptLex, not in conjunction with anything else, just 'Lex.' :raspp:

CaptLex
05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
:hmph: Check yours.

Let me rephrase: Find a post where I specifically call you 'Lex.' Not CaptLex, not in conjunction with anything else, just 'Lex.' :raspp:
Well, with that clarification, you're right . . . it's 'cause you love me, isn't it? :tongueout

ZenFrost
05-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Haha . . . actually I was also thinking of Alexei . . . like Russian royalty. ;) :heehee:

Alexei, Alexei, cannot run, cannot play. Cannot jump, cannot climb, must be careful all the time!

I think I've seen that movie one too many times. :doh:

Charleen
05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Captain, my Captain. For 2 years now I have known you as Lex. Apparently you tell people you would like to be called Lex. As far as I know, you like the name Lex. I assume that when you get together with people from here they call you Lex.The name above your avantar says Capt LEX.
Do you see where I'm going with this?:D
I like the idea of the "M". If anybody asks what it stands for, just tell them anything that they want!
Love ya, Lily

CaptLex
05-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I think I've seen that movie one too many times. :doh:
Snap out of it! :slap: (free rum to whoever knows that movie :heehee:)

Do you see where I'm going with this?:D
*nods* :heehee:

I like the idea of the "M". If anybody asks what it stands for, just tell them anything that they want!
Love ya, Lily
Or anything I want . . . I could have fun with that! :D

(Like TS Garp ;))

Syr_SwitchyGQ
05-13-2008, 09:38 PM

Fact. I actually do that too. Here at school, most people know me as RJ (although I am trying to get everyone to switch over to Tobias) and I have gotten asked numerous times what the R and J stand for. Here is a sampling of some of my answers:

"Robert James."
"Robin Jamie."
"Winston Churchill."
"Nothing."
"Anything I like."
"Just that --- RJ."

:heehee: People don't tend to forget you after an introduction like that. Something to consider. :)

ZenFrost
05-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Snap out of it! :slap:

You mean slap out of it? :slap:

(free rum to whoever knows that movie :heehee:)

Does that mean I get free rum then? :angel:

Jeannie Bingham
05-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Why not Alexander? It's a nice name with many variations.
Alex, Lex, Sandy, Eck (Scottish).

CaptLex
05-14-2008, 06:45 AM
I have gotten asked numerous times what the R and J stand for.
Rumplestilskin Jedediah? :heehee:

Does that mean I get free rum then? :angel:
You didn't name the movie. :tongueout

Why not Alexander? It's a nice name with many variations.
Alex, Lex, Sandy, Eck (Scottish).
It is a nice name, but I'm not sure I'm an "Alexander" - I'll have to ask the guys that know me. :idontknow:

And I'd slap the first one that called me "Eck". :gg:

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2008, 07:13 AM
Im sticking with Mr Lex M. M___ to be your legal name :D, hey Lex what does it look like in your signature, maybe play writing your signature to feel what combination feels right, i did that with writing my fullname when searching for names to see what sounded right together

Tristan
05-14-2008, 07:21 AM
I feel another smooch coming on . . . :koc: :bg:

:koc::kissing:

Alexander Milton M the Great Captain hehe

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2008, 07:24 AM
:koc::kissing:

Alexander Milton M the Great Captain hehe

or Alexander Miles M

shortened to Lex :D

CaptLex
05-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Im sticking with Mr Lex M. M___ to be your legal name :D, hey Lex what does it look like in your signature, maybe play writing your signature to feel what combination feels right, i did that with writing my fullname when searching for names to see what sounded right together
I keep looking at it, and it looks like something is missing. :thinking:

I still don't think I'm an Alexander . . . or a Miles . . . and definitely not a Milton - though Alexander Milton does sound like a captain. :bg:

Adam
05-14-2008, 09:00 AM
i think Lex suits you so i dont no Lex i think you should keep :) thing is if you like your name why not keep it as you middle name because it does not matter if its male or female being your middle name i mean how often does someone ask your middle name? :hugs:

I cant give you idea's on names because i find when someone has the choice of choseing there name only they no if a name fits its like clothes only you can see if they fit :D

P.S i had no idea you had not already changes your name shows how little i no :sad:

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I keep looking at it, and it looks like something is missing. :thinking:

I still don't think I'm an Alexander . . . or a Miles . . . and definitely not a Milton - though Alexander Milton does sound like a captain. :bg:

LOL Tristan and I were just going with Male versions of your female name for both parts....

If you are comfortable with being called Lex, which we know you are...& *surname*, maybe all thats needed is the right middle name, maybe thats whats missing, the correct middle name...you wont ever forget who you were and where you came from right? i mean none of us ever really do because of the fighting we have to do to be ourselves?

how about:-

Lex Miguel
Lex Milo
Lex Milagro
Lex Michael
Lex Milon

Yes ive been looking a baby names again lol...sowwy!

CaptLex
05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
I cant give you idea's on names because i find when someone has the choice of choseing there name only they no if a name fits its like clothes only you can see if they fit :D
You're right about that . . . thanks, Adam. :)

Yes ive been looking a baby names again lol...sowwy!
Milo? :thinking:

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Milo? :thinking:

:heehee: i was going for names beginning Mil....i guess you dont like that then ???

ZenFrost
05-14-2008, 01:49 PM
You didn't name the movie. :tongueout

Yes, but you said "free rum to whoever knows that movie" not whoever names the movie. And it's pretty obvious that I'd know the movie in order to quote it.

But fine, it's 'Nicholas and Alexandra.' :raspp:

KrazyKat
05-14-2008, 02:01 PM
:daydreaming:I like Lex Michael M!!! Sounds like a singing pirate, lol!!

Lex, Milo is a slavic name, maybe older, my parents have a friend named Milo Zardinek or something.

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2008, 02:03 PM
:daydreaming:I like Lex Michael M!!!.

actually i do too, it jumped out the page at me when i typed it....

Lisa Golightly
05-14-2008, 04:20 PM
I guess the thing about picking names is that it's not how it's usually done so it can be difficult to feel that name really fits you. That's why I took the name my parents had decided on if I'd been a girl... It kind of had heritage beyond me.

As for boys names, I do like Alexander... and you are quite the leader of men.

Lisa x

CaptLex
05-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I do like Alexander... and you are quite the leader of men.

Lisa x
You're so sweet, Lisa. :koc:

My mother wanted to name me Edgar, but I'm definitely NOT an Edgar. :tongue:

Kieron, I was just thinking over "Milo", I didn't say I hated it. At least it's unusual - unlike Michael. There's just too many Michaels. :p

Zen, I think the T is making you loopy. :heehee:

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Kieron, I was just thinking over "Milo", I didn't say I hated it.

Wow and i half expected a slap for that one...but it does work, so you want unusual eh? back to the drawingboard lol

ZenFrost
05-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Zen, I think the T is making you loopy. :heehee:

No, I think it's the Mount Gay. :thinking:

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
No, I think it's the Mount Gay. :thinking:

:straightface:

ZenFrost
05-14-2008, 05:35 PM
:straightface:

What? It's my brand of choice.

Kieron Andrew
05-14-2008, 05:37 PM
What? It's my brand of choice.

sorry lol, i read that and it reminded me of the 'mount and do' tshirt :heehee::doh:

kerrianna
05-14-2008, 09:25 PM
...though Alexander Milton does sound like a captain. :bg:

:eek:

A British captain!!!

NOT a pirate captain. :ph34r:

How about Eddie then?
Or is that too common, even if it's good enough for Eddie Izzard? :straightface:

Eduardo.

You know I like Alexei, the Russian mobster. You can do a NY-Russian accent can't you? You might have to switch from rum to vodka though.