PDA

View Full Version : Strange Roadblocks

Patrice
05-14-2008, 11:44 AM
When I first began fully embracing my desires to dress and incorporating elements of the feminine into my daily attire, I never dreamed how freeing it would be. I had worries and concerns of course, Im near paranoid at times and an incredible cynic, but as people keep failing to react negatively I keep raising the bar.

Moving from Sports Bras to 'real' bras, longer and more feminine earrings, more jewelry (necklace (matches the earrings)), the occasional clear lip-gloss etc. I believe Id even be not-ashamed or embarassed to wear long skirts to work if the dress-code didnt prohibit it (I find them very comfy).

The only inner reluctance Ive found involves my nails. Ive been wearing nail polish daily for months now. I began with clears and gradually moved down to the bolder, darker side of the spectrum. People usually fall into 3 categories I find: 1 - Oblivious (How long have you been doing that), 2 - Whatever (they just shrug and move on), and 3 - Complimentary (receieve a fair amount from cooworkers and customers). Reactions have been so much better than I ever anticipated Ive been considering some short extensions (the realities of my job prohibit anything longer).

Basically, and steering closer to the point, I really enjoy having nice looking, well manicured nails. And I color them well, metallics, copper, bronze, even many shades of pink at work just being me, no embarassment or hesitation - except I ran into a roadblock with red. I dont know why, I have been struggling to understand this, but red makes me slightly uncomfortable. Ive forced myself to wear it to work twice now, 2 different shades of bright red, and all day I felt just uneasy. It even feels a little 'wrong' to put on. Ive had 2 different ladies tell me reds a good color on me, so I dont think its about looking bad. Closest Ive got yet is that in my mind red fingernails are most closely associated with sex and romance and sex, and since my dressing has nothing to do with sex, conflict and unease creeps in.

Please, any insights to help me understand this and move past it?

Because gosh darn it, I do look good in red! :daydreaming:

Emily Ann Brown
05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Personally, I don't like bright reds either (or purples, blues, greens), and like you, I think it's because I associate that color with a "less classy" woman (was that tactful ?).

Emily Ann

Deborah Jane
05-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I think it's because I associate that color with a "less classy" woman (was that tactful ?).

Emily Ann

Not exactly Em...
I only wear bright reds.

MJ
05-14-2008, 12:14 PM
funny being full time one would think the sky's the limmit i love my nails and any color is just fine. *** but i can't wear a dress ***
i soooo look like a man in a dress... i sure envy all who can. i am sure there are others here that have hang ups, but nails are not mine

KandisTX
05-14-2008, 12:32 PM
The answer is quite simple (in my opinion anyway). Red is an "attention getter" color. Think about it, If you are in a room and a man or woman walks in wearing a red shirt or red blazer, your attention is immediately drawn to them. The color red on a car will get it noticed more readily by a Police Officer than a white car.

Red is considered a "Hot" color and draws the eye quicker than the cool colors.

Kandis:love::rose2:

KayR
05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
I love red nail polish. I have Revlon shade 89 - "Reddy" on my toes as we speak. Its a lovely metallic red - I've seen similar on some cars. Perhaps its some forgotten childhood thing? Did your least-liked teacher wear red nail polish?

amber 07
05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I agree with KandisTX, red is an attention getter, and my understanding is that prostitutes in many of the ancient civilizations colored their lips red to advertise their expertise in oral sex.

Emily Anderson
05-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Perhaps it's a self-consciousness thing with which you need to experiment a bit. Try wearing red from time to time, and ask yourself why you don't feel comfortable. From what you say it seems nobody else has a problem with it. You may find that after a while you get used to it any enjoy it, or you may find you just don't like it, for whatever reason.

One good way to find out would be to ask some GG's what they think about it, and see if you concur.

Ruth
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
I feel you hit the nail on the head first time, Patrice. I would say it's coming from inside you and it's not a general comment on red nails, but it sounds just right that you are uneasy about the association with sex.
I have a slightly parallel inhibition about wearing large breastforms, though the association for me is with breastfeeding. OK, we all have our little quirks.

RitaCD
05-14-2008, 06:04 PM
I really like the reds. I always keep my toenails Candy Apple Red or Stop Light Red. I am partial to the Kiss press-on fingernails in clear but sometimes let my real nails grow out and paint them a bright red. I most usually use a red lipstick. I just think the reds are so classy like the pinups of the 50's and 60's.

Seville
05-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, I wear bright reds, like Revlon Red, 24/7, fingers and toes.

It's become second nature, don't even think about it
anymore. To me, its just a color with no outward
or psychological (SEX!) meaning.

Just like it...

Personally, I don't like bright reds either (or purples, blues, greens), and like you, I think it's because I associate that color with a "less classy" woman (was that tactful ?).Emily Ann

But, Hun, your avatar has BRITE RED lipstick! Which way is it?

noname
05-15-2008, 02:23 AM
You know, you don't have to do anything that makes you uncomfortable? I tried nail polish for my finger nails many times but it never felt right. ( except clear ) I never found any color flattering. The most I ever get is clear after a manicure but that's about it. Just find what works best for you.

JessieB
05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
i soooo look like a man in a dressI'm surprised to hear you say that, cuz your avatar is so fem.

Vieja
05-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I have never used nail polish because it is not something I can get off in a hurry and if my wife noticed she would be unhappy. Coming from a generation when just about all women that used nail polish used red or clear it just seems to me that red is a more natural color than green for instance. But as they say "different strokes"

Vieja:D