PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Harrassment from others.

MsJoann
05-14-2008, 02:26 PM
According to state law here, I found this written in the statutes:

Sec. 53a-181l. Intimidation based on bigotry or bias in the third degree: Class A misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of intimidation based on bigotry or bias in the third degree when such person, with specific intent to intimidate or harass another person or group of persons because of the actual or perceived race, religion, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity or expression of such other person or persons: (1) Damages, destroys or defaces any real or personal property, or (2) threatens, by word or act, to do an act described in subdivision (1) of this subsection or advocates or urges another person to do an act described in subdivision (1) of this subsection, if there is reasonable cause to believe that an act described in said subdivision will occur.

(b) Intimidation based on bigotry or bias in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor.

There you go! Just when you thought you couldn't fight back!
Have them arrested!

Emily Anderson
05-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Seems rather defensive to me.

I'd prefer to believe that I'm above counter-attacking just for the sake of it. Besides, most bullies only "have a go" because they don't understand. Might make more sense to teach them to be a bit more sensitive.

Naturally, if they cause you bodily harm then there is a reason to pursue them in justice, but otherwise, just smile and move on.

battybattybats
05-15-2008, 01:08 AM
it sends a message to others that bullying wont be tolerated. I'd say thats education, on a larger scale.

sissystephanie
05-15-2008, 05:42 PM
According to state law here, I found this written in the statutes:

Sec. 53a-181l. Intimidation based on bigotry or bias in the third degree: Class A misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of intimidation based on bigotry or bias in the third degree when such person, with specific intent to intimidate or harass another person or group of persons because of the actual or perceived race, religion, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity or expression of such other person or persons: (1) Damages, destroys or defaces any real or personal property, or (2) threatens, by word or act, to do an act described in subdivision (1) of this subsection or advocates or urges another person to do an act described in subdivision (1) of this subsection, if there is reasonable cause to believe that an act described in said subdivision will occur.

(b) Intimidation based on bigotry or bias in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor.

There you go! Just when you thought you couldn't fight back!
Have them arrested!

I do have to agree with Emily about "fighting back." Unless bodily injury either has happened, or could happen, as Emily says, smile and walk away.

The thing I really wonder about is what intelligent person wrote this Act? He or she, must have known about CD's or transgendered people, especially given the language used in the wording. Too bad more states don't have similar laws!

Sissy/Stephanie

Girl on the outside, but man underneath!

Joy Carter
05-15-2008, 07:08 PM
There are many laws on the books, that have been written out of a need. I'd say this one is needed, but as in most cases, harassment is hard to prove. If it occurs with a stranger and is non physical. Then just let it go. But if it's someone known to you. Or a co worker. Document the incident very carefully, for future reference.

Nicki B
05-15-2008, 08:05 PM
I do have to agree with Emily about "fighting back." Unless bodily injury either has happened, or could happen, as Emily says, smile and walk away.

That works if you're in the street and not likely to meet them again - but this should cover you at work, or where you live, as well - it's to be wholeheartedly welcomed, IMHO. :)