PDA

View Full Version : Being a gay man beats being a woman

Kieron Andrew
05-15-2008, 06:10 AM
(mods i know this is a news article/story but I thought it would be ok here?, if not feel free to move it)

I told Tobias about this article last night and told him i would post it here for all to see :), because in a way Tobias reminds me of him (he'll get why :D)

Adrian is an amazing man, brilliant to see him crossing gender boundries
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/newsfocus/article.html?in_article_id=144210&in_page_id=65

deja true
05-15-2008, 06:24 AM
An amazing story, Kieron...

The gender world is indeed a fantastic and confusing place!

Chaos rules and humanity wins!

Thanks for an article that will keep me thinking for a long time...

Kieron Andrew
05-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Thanks for an article that will keep me thinking for a long time...
You're very welcome Deja

Cai
05-15-2008, 06:27 AM
I really like when he's talking about how people think he can still date men as a woman, and he goes "That would be horrible." It's nice to know I'm not alone. :)

DemonicDaughter
05-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Now that is interesting! You so rarely get to read something put so simply yet so profound. Its a beautiful thing when you get to hear how another individual truly feels with no masking of the truth. It helps open people's eyes into someone else's reality.

Oddly, the same line Cai mentioned reminded me of a conversation with an acquaintance who was trying to understand how I can be attracted to both men and women. He was trying to get me to define people by their gender and when I stated I don't think gender matters he stated he could never understand how I think, I stated I could never understand how a straight person thinks because I am not one. His response:

"But you're straight some of the time!"

Ummm... no! I could understand how the author feels regarding dating people's insistence on him dating men as a woman... no, not gonna happen.

Some people never think past their own little cubical.

Kieron Andrew
05-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Some people never think past their own little cubical.

ok im so making that my tag line!

CaptLex
05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
I told Tobias about this article last night and told him i would post it here for all to see :), because in a way Tobias reminds me of him (he'll get why :D)
Yes, but now you've got me wondering why . . . :raisedeyebrow:

Good article, Lord knows I can relate. So many people are deeply stuck in their straight-laced thinking that they wouldn't get what he means about how wrong it is to date men who see you as a woman, if you're not a woman. I got a lot of that thinking too - they either ask, "So does this mean you like girls now?" or "But if you already like men, why do you have to transition?" :doh:

It's like he said, people should see that there are different kinds of transmen, even if we are minorities within a minority. And I applaud his interest in drag shows, though that wouldn't be my thing (no, Kieron, I'm not wearing a frock for you). :heehee:

Kieron Andrew
05-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, but now you've got me wondering why . . . :raisedeyebrow:
he knows! :p...i have a nick name for him....my little gay drag queen brother :p

CaptLex
05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
he knows! :p...i have a nick name for him....my little gay drag queen brother :p
Alright . . . just as long as he doesn't take my title . . . "Dancing Queen". :heehee:

DemonicDaughter
05-15-2008, 09:42 AM
ok im so making that my tag line!

You pirates! Always stealing things from me! LOL! I don't mind though, always happy to share the wealth (better ideas than money, lol).

Kieron Andrew
05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
You pirates! Always stealing things from me! LOL! I don't mind though, always happy to share the wealth (better ideas than money, lol).

:love: but you wuv's us anyway right?:heehee:

its ok im modifying it a bit cos well...you speak yanky lol

CaptLex
05-15-2008, 09:45 AM
So do you, it's your second language - and you better start using it soon, Bristol Boy. :tongueout

DemonicDaughter
05-15-2008, 10:30 AM
:love: but you wuv's us anyway right?:heehee:

Wait till you actually hear me speak... this should prove interesting. lol

Syr_SwitchyGQ
05-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Adrian is an amazing man, brilliant to see him crossing gender boundries

And he's cute too.... :daydreaming::heehee:

Hmmm... in some aspects, yes he and I are alike... however I did live as a femme lesbian for awhile and was pretty comfortable as such for awhile; I am also still attracted to women as well as men, but am primarily attracted to other transmen. So I dunno.... :heehee: As to the drag stuff.... I could do it occasionally for fun (like we talked about, which prompted this in the first place) however I could not do it on a regular basis, and certainly not as a job at a club.

Regardless, I think Adrian is a brave (and sexy) young man. :)

C.J.
05-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I wore lots of make-up, had long blonde hair and would watch Marilyn Monroe films to copy her mannerisms – anything that could help me try to act more like a woman.

(...) I was acting like a female impersonator.

Oh, that familiar feeling.

Be a pretty girl to please everyone else. Put on the act...

- C.J.

Kieron Andrew
05-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Hmmm... in some aspects, yes he and I are alike...:)

I was thinking more his attitude to not care what others think about him being an FtM who crossdresses :heehee:

ZenFrost
05-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Reminds me of Domi a bit too.

I think the article was well put, I like the way he explained it.

gennee
05-16-2008, 04:35 PM
This reminds me of the time a gay man asked me out for a date and I was crossdressed.

Gennee

:straightface:

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
05-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Oh my god..
It was like that guy was telling MY story!! =D
I'm a drag queen, tew!

sabo10
05-18-2008, 06:57 AM
That was a great article and I could really relate to lots of it, particularly the bit about pretending to be female. When I first became aware of who I was, I went into a kind of denial and tried to become super-feminine. I tried to change my mind rather than my body. Which obviously failed, because I'm here now. :)

And yeah... the bit about doing drag. That too. I wear a dress every Halloween as a costume. It's great that when my friends ask me what exactly I'm doing they get it when I reply that I'm dressed as a woman. If they saw me as a woman dressed as a woman, I'd stop doing it immediately.

Felix
06-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanx Kieron that was a moving article and left me thinking about issues that I am dealing with or have been dealing with for a while. Like I know I'm very masculine and that I also have a very camp side but I see this as my femininity verses my masculinity, its hard to explain. I love women and know thats what I want but I quite like the idea of androgyny too lol but finding that is not easy. Like I've always said I'm a contradiction in terms lol which makes life difficult and at times confusing. xx Felix :hugs:

waspookie6
06-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Very good article and well conveyed!
This is my life in one sentence - he just said it better:

The girls at school had felt like aliens to me – and they bullied me through most of my teenage years – while the guys at the bar felt like my contemporaries.
Replace "bar" with "race track" and it's the nail on the head.

Felix,
I think we all feel as if we are a contradiction in terms regardless of gender. It seems to be what you embrace with ease that makes life a bit more simplistic.