PDA

View Full Version : church

Kari Lynn Franks
05-17-2008, 09:13 PM
how many of us attend church dressed up?the little country church we were going to wouldnt except it so we are looking for a new one.please dont mention what religan you are i dont want to start any kind of war

MJ
05-17-2008, 09:24 PM
there are accepting churches out there . you just have to find them . and yes i go to church dressed . along with my son but he does not dress .. :straightface:

Shannen
05-17-2008, 09:43 PM
It's something I've dreamed of doing.... in a different state from where I live!

I think most women try to look "extra nice" for church, and I would love to sit there lookin' good with the rest!

I think if I ever have to travel alone over a weekend I will try it out.

-Shannen

KarenCDFL
05-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Makes me remember the Old Saturday Night Live with Dana Carvey as the Church Lady :)

Butterfly Bill
05-17-2008, 10:00 PM
I attended a Unity church in Lawrence, Kansas, and now I go to an Episcopal one here in Muskogee. They have been places where I can wear all my extra-nice stuff. At the Gay Pride day in Tulsa there have been booths set up by a Unitarian, a Congregational, and a Presbyterian church. Look in one of your local gay publications for notices by churches that are "welcoming and affirming". Any church that says it's gay friendly will also be the same way toward trans.

janelle
05-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I went to a Lutheran Church 2 weeks ago dressed. Was treated just as any other woman. In my search, I found most alone want to know where your heart is for God, the rest does not matter.
Good luck, ladies.

hugs,
Janelle

SweetCaroline
05-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm not religious, but it's not unheard of. You may wish to discuss it with whatever priest, minister, or pastor before hand. That's what I would do. If the leader of the congregation knows that you are transgendered and that you'll be attending services dressed, there's very little the rest of the church could do.

Abby
05-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks Caroline,
Your response is what I needed to hear. I know there are many churches out there whose only condition for attendance is to worship your God.

Hugs ,

Abby:thumbsup:

Mitch23
05-18-2008, 01:38 PM
don't think it would be a prob here provided that I let them know in advance. Don't think Mrs Mitch would be too thrilled though ...

Mitch

Veronica 1
05-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks Caroline,
I know there are many churches out there whose only condition for attendance is to worship your God.

That is why I prefer a more spiritual belief, it is more acceptable than the various religions that all basically worship the same things and denounce the others as they are the only true religion.
Back to the thread, though, talk to the person in charge first. This at least gives them time to prepare and have no embarrassing incidents at the alter.

Christinedreamer
05-18-2008, 02:24 PM
All over the world and in every state in the USyopu will find "Metropolitan Community Churches" Just enter MCC or spell it out and you will find hundreds.
MCC was founded 30 some years ago be a gay man- Troy Perry- raised in the pentecostal church and found it very unChristian in its treatment of LGBT folks.

In our church in Whittier ,CA we have gays, bisexuals, lesbians, transgendered and stratights and those who are unsure. We call ourselves GiBLeTS. MCCs incorporate aspects of Protestantnism, Judaism, Catholicism to varying degrees and they openly invite all and there are no requirements or hard and fast rules, "penance" rituals etc. Most MCC have all kinds of social activities where you can dress and enjoy dinners, fellowship, etc.

The Church of Christ is also open to LGBTS folks.

One thing to remember no matter what church you attend or were raised in. The Ten Commandments are the ONLY laws given by God. Ten was enough for God. All the rest were created by men for control of the populace.

Follow those ten and the Golden Rule and find a church that does the same and you will be home.

Christine.

BTW I won a first prize for costuming at our church on Halloween in the outfit I am wearing in my avatar. I guess they never saw a guy my size in such a frou frou dress.

Bridgette T
05-18-2008, 03:52 PM
The United Churches of Christ are open to all people, regardless of gender expression or sexuality. However, the Church of Christ (a separate denomination, not the UCC) is VERY closed minded when it comes to anything outside of "normal." There is no instrumental music, no dancing, no mixed bathing (swimming with girl and boys) etc. I grew up in a Church of Christ, and hated myself for years because I was a "sinner" and behaved in a manner, behind closed doors mind you, that was definitely not congruent to Church of Christ standards. It took a lot of time to make me realize that "real" Christians do not always behave like the loving, accepting people that they proclaim themselves to be. After a little searching, I have found a home in the Methodist church, where there is a very "live and let live" attitude. Faith and love are more important than following the bible down to the letter.

jennifer41356
05-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Several years ago i would go to a gay catholic church service in Dallas...they would meet in a Lutheran church and get a priest who would volunteer to say mass....It was a good time for me to wear some of my suits and pretty dresses:love:

sissystephanie
05-18-2008, 05:59 PM
I am far too well known in my church to attempt going there dressed. That is outwardly dressed. Since I wear panties, and usually a bra, virtually all the time, I am always underdressed. Even when my late wife was around to fix my wig and do my makeup, that was one place we never went. We were both too well known, even though it is a large Church.

Beth-Lock
05-18-2008, 06:52 PM
I think even in churches that think they are 'accepting,' it may cause problems of a personal kind. I mentioned that I was a trannie or something to a male friend in church, and he said that if I were, he would not be my friend anymore. (The ironic thing is that he has seen me dressed en femme already, at a costume party at the church, and in that context he did not worry at all.) So, in some cases, it comes down to personal relationships. My sister would not tolerate it either, at least not at the church we both attend. So, it remains a sort of dilemma.
Roman Catholicism, though it has some gay catholic groups, seems to be particularly, let us say, traditional, in practice in the church. When I started going to an RC church, I went as a male, and a woman friend said, that it was too bad I did not start off going as a woman and keep it up. Nobody would notice. But then the first time I went, it was with her, and she definitely would not put up with it. She finds things like that reflect poorly on her.
All in all it is a funny thing, (not ha-ha funny, but sort of 'intricate' rather than straight forward).

linnea
05-18-2008, 07:02 PM
The United Churches of Christ are open to all people, regardless of gender expression or sexuality. However, the Church of Christ (a separate denomination, not the UCC) is VERY closed minded when it comes to anything outside of "normal." There is no instrumental music, no dancing, no mixed bathing (swimming with girl and boys) etc. I grew up in a Church of Christ, and hated myself for years because I was a "sinner" and behaved in a manner, behind closed doors mind you, that was definitely not congruent to Church of Christ standards. It took a lot of time to make me realize that "real" Christians do not always behave like the loving, accepting people that they proclaim themselves to be. After a little searching, I have found a home in the Methodist church, where there is a very "live and let live" attitude. Faith and love are more important than following the bible down to the letter.

I would urge you to find a church affiliated with the UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST. Most of these are very accepting and usually say so in their bulletins and advertisements (in the Yellow Pages, for example). You might even call the minister during the week prior to the time you think you might attend and ask him (or her). I'll think that you'll will be happy with the results. I am looking forward to doing this sometime this summer, but it won't be in my hometown.

Cristi
05-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Makes me remember the Old Saturday Night Live with Dana Carvey as the Church Lady :)

My VERY first time dressed with anybody but my wife was on halloween about 15 years ago where I dressed as the 'church lady' (the holiday 'theme' was television characters). We had a small party with a half dozen friends. Walking out of the bedroom into the room where they all were after putting on pantyhose, a bra, dress and makeup was about the most difficult thing I'd ever done. At the time, the dress felt SO revealing, but looking back now it was only just above the knee. I wish I had gotten some photos, but probably would have been too embarrased to get them developed in those days before digital cameras.

But by the end of the evening, I wanted it to go on forever...

Thanks for bringing that memory back :)

Donna Michelle
05-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I was asked NOT to crossdress in church. There are a few local churches that allow it. My family wouldn't want me to crossdress even if it WAS allowed. Too bad. I have some nice clothes.

I am only a weekend crossdresser since I am married and have a son. If I didn't meet my current wife, I would have dressed more often. But I can't dress for work, either. If someone dressed 24/7, she should be allowed to go anywhere that way. That is transgendered from male to female and should be accepted.

boy2girl31
05-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Didn't there used to be a commercial where african american and gay couples were turned away from a church. Then they said every-one was welcome at the church of latter day saints.

Butterfly Bill
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm not religious, but it's not unheard of. You may wish to discuss it with whatever priest, minister, or pastor before hand. That's what I would do. If the leader of the congregation knows that you are transgendered and that you'll be attending services dressed, there's very little the rest of the church could do.

I disagree with this. If you try to call beforehand to ask if it's all right, the person on the other end might start thinking there really is something wrong because you are acting like it is.

Go to a Sunday morning service and see how the other people in the congregation act and what the pastor does in the handshake line after. If they seem standoffish, that's not the place. If people come up to you and offer their hand without you asking, that's a good sign.

Emily Ann Brown
05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh...I can't stay outta this one.

Local Universalist Unitarian Church has invited me to come as myself. Only thing stopping me is I am very "pentecostal" when I worship and I'm not sure if they would appreciate that style, or if I could really enjoy worship being so restricted.

If I went to the church I usually attend I have a concern that "Em's" presence might restrict others around me from experiencing worship....and while I do not feel I am sinning by being dressed I AM pretty positive that God would not appreciate me interrupting others from possible fellowship with Him.

So I stick to the safe side. Don't bother bringing up whether others not being accepting pleases God or such debates....the bottom line is when God shows me the right place to publicly worship as myself I will RUN to be there.

Emily Ann

DeeDeeB
05-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I too am far too involved in my church to suddenly show up dressed, but I do think the priest and congregation would have no problem with it. We have a wonderfully diverse and accepting group of members. I serve at the altar most weeks, however, and I would not want my appearance to detract from the service in any way. It's not about me, it's about worship.

Dee

JoAnnDallas
05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Carrie.......look for a MC Church. They welcome all of us and do not have a problem with Trans people coming to service dressed.

In fact I did a google search and found one in Austin

MCC
8601 South 1st Street
Austin, TX 78748
Phone: (512) 291-8601
Fax: (512) 291-8602
Care Line: (512) 291-8819

racquel
05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
I recently started attending seventh day Adventist church and they seem very friendly.I don't know if they are as open minded as mcc though?

ann stef
05-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Yes, I go to church en femme. My wife & I go to different denominations is a bigger city, several churches. One church run by a lady minister even had evening sessions for gay or other people who needed attention.

Stargirl
05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Watch out for the church that wants to control people, and make them conform in a homogenised sheeple sense. A good church will emphasize the importance of the individual as a child of God. Plus, they help each other out in times of need. A church that seems more like a business than a haven, is to be avoided. If God is Love, how does the "wrong" clothing factor into that ?

ann stef
05-20-2008, 05:22 PM
In Florida, ladies dress between casual and dumpy. I do dressing up in my finest dress when going to church, and then after that, to a resturant that other ladies go to after church. I have been welcomed at the front door at all churches that I go to, and called mam as a courtesy.

KateSpade83
05-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Back in 1999 I was trying to quiting cding and going to Holy Name Cathedral one day I saw an unpassable crossdresser get out of his convertible and go to church. A couple - as if they knew his reputation or so - laughed at him. Then I observed this crossdresser in church and I told God I would never do this. But years later - I am now a very passable crossdresser, and I needed to shop in drag one day after church so I went to church for the first time in drag in my best church type skirt suit. I sat where I always sat and no one recognized or read me, even when we greeted and shook hands. But a man in a suit must have found me attractive because he sat next to me instead of his family. Then he later moved back to his family. After shopping and coming home, another black man had the hots for me and kept looking back and staring at me as I went to get stuff from my car.

I'll post a Pic thread of my church skirt suit collection.

BillieJoe
05-21-2008, 01:06 AM
I most often go to church 'underdressed'. I don't thinkanyone can tell. About ten years ago mySO 'outed' me to our congregation. Nobody has ever said anything to me since then.

tgirlinva
05-21-2008, 01:15 AM
My take on the situation is to go as you wish, as long as you don't inflict your beliefs and ways on others. I go to church to hear the sermon and through that be closer to God. I go there to worship God, not others. I'm not going to go to the most conservative church in my daisy duke outfit nor will i go to a Muslim mosque without being veiled. When it comes down to it, we are all children of God and if the leader of the church doesn't see that, you can go somewhere else or stay home and read the Bible/Qu'ran/etc. just as effectively.

Fab Karen
05-21-2008, 06:28 AM
how many of us attend church dressed up?the little country church we were going to wouldnt accept it so we are looking for a new one.
If you feel the need for religion, try a Unitarian church, they're usually welcoming & not a "church of the poison mind" ( Culture Club )
or ask at your local LGBT center for a recommendation.

victoriamwilliams1
05-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I visited a MCC church a few times in Ohio.

sandra-leigh
05-21-2008, 03:22 PM
About ten years ago mySO 'outed' me to our congregation. Nobody has ever said anything to me since then.

Ummm, I think I know what you are saying, but just in case, for clarity:

Your statement, as written, could be interpreted as indicating that the members of your congregation, now knowing that you are a crossdresser, refuse to speak to you at all ("nobody has ever said anything to me since then").

I suspect, though, that you mean that no-one has spoken to you about the crossdressing, right?

Is the level of your interaction with the other congregation members pretty much the same as before? They didn't shy away from you at church dinners or whatever, just treated you as if they'd never heard the news? Or was there a little bit of drop that later recovered to normal?

Kari Lynn Franks
05-21-2008, 06:26 PM
we are going to try a non denomational ghurch this sunday i was going to go last weekend since the wife was out of town she called sunday morning to say good morning and asked what i was doing i told her i was shaving my legs so i could wear a dress to church she didnt like the idea that i was gonna go by my self this is so sweet she said she didnt want me to go without her on the first time cause she wanted to be there to support me incase some one started to give me any problems .if thats not love what is? sorry so long i couldnt stop once i got started.i believe that i go to church to worship God not othere high and mighty people they are sinners just like me they put their pants\skirts on one leg at a time if they dont like it thats between them and God.....

sandra-leigh
05-22-2008, 09:45 AM
people they are sinners just like me they put their pants\skirts on one leg at a time

Hmmm, sounds like to be on the safe side, I should ask a priest how to put my skirts on one leg at a time :devil:

Vivian Best
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
I attend church regularly, however, I never go completely dressed. I always have undies on though!

sandra-leigh
05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I attend church regularly, however, I never go completely dressed. I always have undies on though!

Don't people comment on your missing shoe or shirt or whatever??