PDA

View Full Version : The "virtual reality" of it all

Kate Simmons
05-18-2008, 07:19 AM
When I was getting ready to go to the club Friday night, I was doing the final "once over" of my look in the mirror before heading out and was saying to myself "what if" this was real? Then it dawned on me, who says it isn't? By definition in the "real" world" I'm a guy but for all intents and purposes when I get dolled up like this I am Salandra and experience things in this incarnation and am related to and reacted to as such. It is a real experience so who's to say it is any less viable or valid as what we consider "real life"?

Most of us are familiar with virtual reality simulations in which we would be experiencing things in a virtual world and environment and in which we would create a different person or character and play a role or part. How is this any different really? We experience, we interact, we have all the abilities and characteristics of the character we become. We do it for fun but it is value added as we become empowered to do things we would not "normally" do and in this instance it is no less "genuine" than the so called real world.

Therein lies the value but also the potential danger. I say danger because like a virtual reality scenerio, it can be easy to get lost in the program and potentially lose ourselves in the process. Most of us have read the sci-fi books and seen the movies to that effect. This is something I realized a while back because I was literally living my life as my femme self as much as possible. Problem is, my "program" had the tendency to take over, it's not hard for that to happen really, expecially when the pink fog rolls in.

The mind is a powerful thing and our power of creation is virtually unlimited when you think about it. This is one reason I decided to go for balance and integration of my feelings because I realized just how easily things can go out of balance if I go too far one way or the other. It's a very old issue, structure and control vs freedom and creativity and it's part of the reason we are here to begin with to help settle it once and for all and it can be a delicate balancing act sometimes. It is possible to do both however as many of us here are demonstrating.

It's all as real or imagined as we want it to be. In the original Star Trek pilot "The Cage" when Christopher Pike asked Vena if she was real or imagined, her answer was "As real as you wish" and the Talosians saw to it with mind power that Pike could see her any way he desired. The experience was no less real to him. We have the same power as the Talosians. The real skill is to use it wisely.:)

Teresa Amina
05-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Reality is that which exists regardless of our perceptions. That tree which fell when no one was around? Yes, it did make one hell of a big sound :D

Kate Simmons
05-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah I know Teresa, we've been told that but who is the authority? We are experiencing our own personal grid program. Put simply, if we do not perceive the world (based on sensory input and memory), it does not exist. The continuity we perceive is basically an illusion we ourselves re-create every day to interact. This is necessary to experience feelings and emotions. If not for this, each and every day would be "day one".:)

Sophia KT
05-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Yeah I know Teresa, we've been told that but who is the authority? We are experiencing our own personal grid program. Put simply, if we do not perceive the world (based on sensory input and memory), it does not exist. The continuity we perceive is basically an illusion we ourselves re-create every day to interact. This is necessary to experience feelings and emotions. If not for this, each and every day would be "day one".:)

I agree with you. Human beings do not only exist as physical properties alone, at least our perception of ourselves does not. When we read a book we experience the reality that someone wrote. It is a real experience; your mind is active in the same way i.e. impulses move around in your brain. They are real chemical/electrical impulses occurring in space-time, they just happen to be triggered by a text.

P.s. It is obvious to me why the word 'grim' attaches itself to 'reality' so often.

Teresa Amina
05-18-2008, 09:42 AM
If reality depends on perception then you did not exist before I met you here :D

TGMarla
05-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Reality....What a concept! It's true that this is real, otherwise it would not play such an omnipresent role in my life. When I dress, I try to live in the moment, knowing that these moments are fleeting. They may (will) come again, but they are for only short periods before life necessitates my return to guy mode. So my girl time is very real for me. Ain't it grand!

Kate Simmons
05-18-2008, 10:23 AM
If reality depends on perception then you did not exist before I met you here :DTechnically that is correct because our grids did not intersect until that point. It's complicated but easy at the same time and has a lot to do with the governing matrix. People talk about destiny, fate, karma, etc. but it all comes down to programming really.;):)

Teresa Amina
05-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I hope my programming doesn't freeze up like my internet connection does sometimes, that would really suck :D
But then I wouldn't know it, would I?

Kate Simmons
05-18-2008, 11:22 AM
I hope my programming doesn't freeze up like my internet connection does sometimes, that would really suck :D
But then I wouldn't know it, would I?It depends. A lot is determined by how much we can handle because where we are now, the info is tightly packed as I told Emily. Changes can be made if we push the envelope though as I well know, since I am considered somewhat of a "problem child" to the "powers that be". Oh well, can't win 'em all.:heehee::battingeyelashes: