PDA

View Full Version : Another doctor's office story

sandra-leigh
05-18-2008, 10:41 PM
(Beware: my voice may be messed up, but I'm still long-winded :D)

I've been suffering from the flu since Tuesday night... not so bad of one, but it worked its way into a couple of complications that had me concerned.

So today I went into a walk-in clinic. It's a holiday weekend here, so the walk-in I would normally go to was closed; I had to go to one a little further off, opposite one of the larger shopping centers. As I haven't gotten out of the house much for a few days I figured I'd borderline femme for the clinic visit, then afterwards pop in my larger forms, put on some lipstick and cruise the mall.

It didn't happen to be practical to take a wig with me, and I had to leave off all the other makeup because I figured it might be important for the doctor to see the actual colour of my skin, and know that the effects on my eyes were not from mascara, so I knew my appearance in the mall would have to be gender-bending, but the things one puts up with for one's Art :battingeyelashes:

What I put on was some pastal-green womens' slacks (any student of spring fashion would know immediately they were womens', but the colour is muted enough that people not paying attention to current fashion would be left uncertain, a-la "He's wearing them, so they must be men's?". I wore a white blouse with muted cap sleeves, with a bit of elastic under the bust and some subtle cupping at the bust to emphasize what you have. I took my largest silicone forms with me (in a bag) for the planned mall visit, and I wore my largest skin-tone bra (after making sure that it didn't show through), but for the purposes of the stay in waiting room, I put in my smallest (foam) forms... only about a B cup. I wanted to wear some open-toe bare-foot sandals during my mall visit, but that would have been too obvious in the waiting room, so it was some neutral gray pantyhose and some high-heeled sandals -- figuring that while I was sitting around, not many people would be looking at my feet.

Well, I got to the clinic, and had to wait and wait and wait. It wasn't packed but there were a respectable number of people there and only 2 doctors on duty. While I was sitting around, I was feeling self-conscious about my (small) forms, as it turned out that the blouse had done a good job of defining my bust even with the small forms, and the people sitting near me didn't exactly have a lot to distract them. But the people I was sitting near didn't stare or anything; I interacted with them a bit and they didn't shun me at all.

More of a problem turned out to be my high-heeled sandals. What I hadn't anticipated was that the floor in the clinic was standard tiling, plastic or linolium or whatever, so as I walked on the floor my heels clicked noticably and tended to slide out from underneath me. Attracted a bit of attention, that did -- no one said anything, but it would have been obvious to anyone not self-absorbed that I was wearing some kind of high heels. If I'd happened to wear pumps or flats, that wouldn't have happened. And I did have to move across that floor a few times for various reasons. Some might ask, "What were you thinking? Didn't you know that the doctor would see your heels?" And to that my answer would be "I wasn't going to be walking around for the doctor, who was going to be busy examining my throat, not checking out my footwear." But still, the footwear was a miscalculation (I would not have attracted attention on any kind of carpet.)

After waiting and waiting (and waiting), eventually I was ushered into one of the examining rooms. I took the opportunity to pull out my foam forms so that all the doctor would have to go on would be slightly unusual clothes.

The mature female doctor came by a short time later; I described my symptoms, she agreed with that my assessment of my illness was likely accurate. She checked out my ears, then wanted to check out my lungs, starting from the back first. So I turned appropriately... and then, unexpected by me, she raised the back of my blouse to listen at my back with her stethoscope. Judging by the air movement, I think it was quite likely that she saw part of band of my bra; it was a neutral colour so just a glimpse of the material itself would not inherently give its purpose away, but I judge that the area she uncovered included some of the hook area, so I personally believe that she noticed it and figured out it was a bra.

The doctor did not hesitate at all nor give any indication she'd seen anything unusual.

When it came time to check the front, she listened through my blouse. I have no idea whether that was to perhaps spare me from lifting my shirt enough that the bottom of the bra would have become visible, or it was just because the lungs are closer to the front and thus a little muffling from the clothing would not make a significant difference.

Sooo... we finished up, and she wrote me a prescription (not for the flu itself but for the complication I'd noticed), and she said she'd drop the sick certification at the front desk. A quick trip to the washroom, then I went out to check on the note, and was told to take a seat and wait. And I waited, and waited... around half an hour before I went to bug them about the missing note; the clerk said she'd check the doctor's desk. And I waited some more. And after a bit more time, the doctor herself wondered by and asked me to come into her office. She'd been reviewing my chart, and had realized that she'd prescribed something that I was allergic to :straightface: . She had another look at my chart, wrote me another prescription. I reminded her about the note... turned out that she'd gotten distracted and had forgotten about it -- and by her reaction I could also see that the clerks had not communicated about the lack-of-note to her.

So the extra wait turned out be fortuitous, in it keep me around long enough for the doctor to discover her mistake and correct it before I'd filled the potentially-harmful prescription. But it was a bit of a nuisance, all that waiting. Especially as it meant that by the time I got to the mall across the road, I only had 10 minutes to shop before grabbing the bus home (I could have gotten in another 10 minutes of shopping before the mall closed, if I'd been prepared to wait another 45 minutes for the bus.) But in that brief 10 minutes, I did happen to see a green blouse that would go pretty well with these green pants I'm wearing -- I'll just have to go back tomorrow and try it on :heehee:

For all that the doctor made a mistake and also forgot my note, I liked her, and would visit her again if I had reason to.

Shannen
05-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your illness and long waits at the clinic. I hope you feel well soon!

I have to go to the doctor tomorrow... only toenail polish though...

Rachel Morley
05-18-2008, 11:45 PM
OMG! What an adventure! In my world this is totally "off the hook" ... I would never have the courage to go in "girly-boy mode" and to wear a bra to the doctor's office knowing that there was a strong likelihood that she would want to listen to my chest. Respect! :yrtw:

pamela_a
05-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Since all of my clothes are fem and I wear a bra and panty daily I don't even think about what I'm wearing to the doctor anymore. I've had several ultrsounds of my legs which entailed lying on a table in my panties, EKGs where the nurse just placed the electrodes around my bra and of course many times having the doctor listen to my lungs thru/around my bra. The only time any one of them has said anything was one female doctor at an urgent care clinc asked about my bra. I explained since I have breasts it's just more comfortable to wear one. She just said ok and that was the end of it.

As I have written many times on similar posts. I can pretty well guarentee that you well not be the first male they have seen dressed or underdressed and odds are you will not be the last. Go ahead and wear your clothes confidently, head up and chest out.

-Paula-

sandra-leigh
05-19-2008, 01:41 AM
I would never have the courage to go in "girly-boy mode" and to wear a bra to the doctor's office knowing that there was a strong likelihood that she would want to listen to my chest.

I didn't even know it was going to be a woman doctor that I would end up with; with a minor difference in timing, I could have ended up with the male doctor, or the schedule might perhaps have been different and it might have only been male doctors today (though since it is a walk-in, it is plausible that they have a policy of having a male and female doctor on staff, in case some patient feels strongly about being seen only by one or the other gender, perhaps for cultural reasons.) I may have been a bit psychic about it being a female doctor I would end up seeing, as I practically took that for granted in planning what I would wear.

I did consider, ahead of time, the possibility that the doctor would see my bra, but I figured that if I were asked to take my top off, that there would be the traditional "step outside the room for politeness sake" pause. And I'd seen enough responses from health-care workers on this forum to know that even if somehow my bra was seen, that the doctor would keep the information to himself or herself due to confidentiality rules.

Thus, to me, the possibility of the doctor seeing my bra was the easiest aspect to mentally prepare for; I didn't expect it to happen, but I knew I wasn't going to be upset if by some chance it did.

No, more of my planning was around the question of what I could wear while I was in the waiting room, and yet could be spruced up easily into something more feminine for the mall. I've gender-bent my way around that mall a number of times before; as I recall, it was the first place I went cross-dressed, when I was getting started a few years ago, definitely before I did anything with wig or makeup. The Tall Girl shop manager there pretty much knows me by name by now :o

Krystal Lee
05-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Tess-leigh,

I have found as you say that even if a medical professional see's something it is held in confidance.

Having been thrust into the job seeking market I have been doing the interview thing and just last week was sent for an physical.

My girlfriend was concerned about my wearing of panties to the physical but it was no big deal.

Am confident the doctor saw the lace trim but made no comment.

Now I am just holding my breath awaiting the results and hopping to become income producing again.

Hugs Krystal.

Donna Michelle
05-19-2008, 10:26 AM
My family doctor is a mature Catholic man who rides a motorcycle and paints for charity. I wear a bra and panties under my man clothes at work and decided to wear them to the doctor. He didn't say anything, so I don't know if he noticed. I never went to the doctor dressed up yet, but I wanted to ask for hormones.

My wife asked me if I would wear men's underwear to the doctor, but now that I am "out", I want to wear my pretty clothes. She watches how other people react and just laughs. It is strange how the women seem to mind more than the men. Most men are intrigued and try to engage in conversation. Well, there were a few Asian men who ran away from this big gal in terror! We used to shop at that jewelry store, but not anymore.

You can't keep worrying about what other people think. Just enjoy yourself. You may meet other people like yourself and make new friends.

Beth-Lock
05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
What a great adventure! If I am going to do that at all, I usually wear unisex clothes into the doctor's office, and change on the way out, progressively, finishing in a washroom or the car. One day I went to the hospital for tests and a consultation, went in as a tired, sickly man, and came out (of the non-gendered washroom), walking out, proud, as a new woman.

KandisTX
05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Been there, done that ;) Just this AM in fact... had to go to the doctors to see about this sinus/chest/ear stuffiness/pain I've been dealing with. Well, Doctor decides he wants to give me a shot of antibiotic with steroid and guess where it has to go.. Right into the right cheek/hip area ;) OKay, so I'm wearing a pair of purple flowery panties today under my pantyhose.. no biggie.. the female tech comes in tells me to turn around and drop em' (not exactly like that, but you get the idea). Whether she saw the panties and pantyhose I don't know.. nor do I care really.. she's probably seen that and more in her profession, not to mention their job is to treat you, not to judge you. :)

Kandis:love::rose2:

Vivian Best
05-19-2008, 03:52 PM
What a great adventure you had! I don't have the courage to do what you did. Hope you are over the illness.

sandra-leigh
05-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, I did go back to the mall today, with the same spring-green pants and the same blouse, but I opted this time for my smaller (D-cup) silicone forms. I had makeup on to cover my shaving deficiencies, and I wore my my short wig (which can do a really cute up-turn on the days I can figure out how to comb it right.) Holiday so the bus schedule was crud and I ended up having only half an hour to prepare, so I didn't get to put on any eye makeup, but did manage to get the lipstick in place. I didn't bring any kind of carrying bag, but I did openly wear a small purse. I did, though, have to wear different shoes (c.f., my "Shoddy shoes!" post in the Clothing section.) It certainly wasn't a wonder of looking womanly; on the other hand with the detail of the wig and purse and lipstick, where yesterday I was gender bending, today I was En Femme.

My first trial was at the bus stop; in the last moment three young teenage boys scurried to the stop. The blouse was cap sleeve and I had nothing over it, so my moderately visible arm hair could be seen. I was sure that they "made" me.. and then they sat right by me. They had the look of boys who would make fun of a crossdresser, but they didn't bug me.

My second trial, as I walked around the store, was that I am still under the weather, and especially with all the walking I was doing, I was getting a bit hot and woozy.

A clerk did try to be of assistance; somehow, even though my vocal cords are not good due to the illness, I managed to do a passable femme voice. Or at least it sounded passable to me; my hearing is affected by the illness and I just might not have heard how bad it sounded. I had the gut feeling that that clerk had "read" me even before I spoke -- but the clerk did not say or do anything that could be interpreted as hinting either way. Maybe I did pass to her, I dunno.

As I was en femme with purse and discernible bust, and was without even the reusable shopping/carrying bag that I usually have when I visit that department store, I decided to see whether they would let me into the womans fitting rooms. I waited around for a while before I chanced it, as there were some men hanging around the entrance waiting for their wifes, and I figured that they would probably "read" me as I went in and then get displeased about a guy in the womens' change rooms. Once at the door to the fitting room, the clerk counted my items and told me to take any open doorway; I went to one closer to the end. I seem to remember that on some of my earlier visits to that store, I had been politely directed to the mens fitting room; certainly I've tried on dresses and blouses and womens bathing suits in the mens section without anyone there making any fuss, but today I was feeling that perhaps with my looking more stereotypically female, that they might let me in to the womens fitting rooms -- not that I expected my appearance to "pass" to them, but rather that I had done enough "cues" that they might play along ("Well, gee, how were we to know? Looked like a woman to us.") And whether they were just feeling kind or whether I "passed", they did let me through to the womans fitting area without problems.

Took off my blouse to start the try-ons... and my wig came off with it :( Fortunately I had a small brush in my purse and I was able to get my wig into an acceptable public presentation before leaving the fitting room. I found that I had indeed been right yesterday, that the green blouse I'd seen on the rack yesterday was a nice colour match for the green pants; unfortunately the blouse (the only one of that style they had) was at least two sizes too small for me (i.e., 18 might have worked for me but the 14 didn't.) The next couple of items fit pretty poorly too. I had a large and a medium in one item, which turned out to be thicker and warmer than it looked, not good for outdoor summer weather. The medium looked nice on me but was a bit too small; the large didn't look as good, needs a tuck here or there, but I decided to get it anyhow.

No problem at all with the clerk on the way out of the fitting room. Earlier there had been lineups at the cashier desk right there, but right then there wasn't; a cashier popped around a moment later and rung me up. When I was finished, and though she had heard my not-so-great voice, the cashier said to me something like, "Thanks, hun." No idea whether she'd read me or not, but as best I can recall, that's the first time a cashier has called me "hun" just like a woman. (I think I've been called "Darling" a time or two by cashiers who had definitely read me.

So... somehow today, even though not at all at my finest, I "passed" in a way that I haven't before -- treated as a woman rather than as a crossdresser. Which is not meant to knock the service I've had as a crossdresser; some stores treat me quite well... but Passing is a different feeling.