PDA

View Full Version : The Big Picture, For and Against

Beth-Lock
05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
One question was raised recently, though the thread is now closed, of whether you would like a big, poster-size picture of yourself.
My question, is how many would like an 8 x 11 picture of themselves, (the biggest most computer printers can manage), in soft focus perhaps, fairly openly displayed, perhaps in one's living room?

Bilinda
05-19-2008, 11:18 AM
I think that would be neat. Of course, I'm single and don't have many friends over, so that's why it would be no big deal to me.

Emily Anderson
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Uh, not really. I'm a narcissist, just not that narcissistic.

Deborah Jane
05-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Uh, not really. I'm a narcissist, just not that narcissistic.

Er yeah..What she said..I think!!

mike47
05-19-2008, 02:18 PM
I really wouldn't mind it but at the sametime I would. But then I am single and just about everyone that comes over here does know. The one that doesn't and would freak would be my daughter. Otherwise why not.

Aurora27
05-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Only if it made me look spectacular, and I generally don't

CD Susan
05-19-2008, 02:20 PM
No, I do not think that would be a good idea, in my situation anyway. If I had such a picture displayed in my living room the potential for disaster would always be present. It would only be a matter of time until the wrong person would see it resulting in an unpleasant situation. If I had such a picture it would have to be kept in my bedroom where no one else would see it.

SherriePall
05-19-2008, 02:31 PM
I have such a picture(s) as I had a photo shoot several years ago at a large department store's photo studio. Had fun doing it and I'm pretty sure I fooled the photographer/sales person. If not, she did not let on one bit. As for displaying those pics, one is my avatar. The rest are stored away from prying public eyes. I can just see my displaying one of those pics in my parlor. LOL. Can you spell "out the door?"

Vivian Best
05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
"Over my dead body" would be my wife's reply and the dead body wouldn't be hers!

crusadergirl
05-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I would have to say no, I don't need a big picture of myself in my room.

jennifer41356
05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I have several 5x8 inch pics of me in my apartment, I would like to have a professional photo done but I havent gotten around to doing it:Angry3:

Melanie R
05-19-2008, 05:34 PM
In 1989 for Christmas my wife arranged for me to have a photo setting for Melanie. She put a frame around the 8 by 11 photo and placed it on our den mantle. One Sunday my parents came over for lunch. Yes, she forgot to hide the photo. My mother saw the photo and asked my wife who is the woman? My wife said, "Mom, that's your daughter". They both knew about Melanie but had never seen me in person or a photo. Both my parents said, "you look like your mother". I just stood there and cried. The next month they met Melanie and my father said, "I have a handsome son and a beautiful daughter".

Donna Michelle
05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
I would like a big poster of my wife, but not myself. I don't look THAT good. I would rather have a poster of my CD friend Ashley Bottoms! Ha ha.

Melanie, what a great story!

Pamela Julie
05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't need a picture of me. I can just look in a mirror and I see the woman in me, even in drab.

Pamela:)

Chiana
05-19-2008, 07:16 PM
It might be fun if I thought I could look good enough. I don't think anyone would recognize me.

Angie G
05-19-2008, 07:30 PM
My kids and grandkids don't know so I don't think so. :hugs:
Angie

Shannen
05-19-2008, 07:31 PM
People have been having portraits done... forever!! I'm not sure where the narcisism comes in with that. It is usually done in the context of family though...

In fact I would suppose that most portraits are done at the request of someone else, the SO for example. While I AM Shannen, I enjoy creating a setting where Shannen looks her best. I cherish these images both in my mind and on my display because they remind me of the wonderful time I had taking it.

Maybe Mom and Dad would put the 8X10 on their wall? Would that be more appropriate?

Beth-Lock
05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
I agree. It is a form of art. One's narcism does not have to be very strong to like trying to get a good picture of yourself and keeping it around, where it gives you pleasant memories.
And I am just starting to play around with the still camera and see what I can do with it. And there is both a lot of options on most cameras, and infinite options in trying to strike a good pose, the latter even harder to master. Anyway, at worst it is fantasy play, and with today's digital cameras, costs very little. You can always ditch the photos, putting them away, out of sight, if they do not make you happy.
As for a surprise outing of oneself, there are so many other things one can inadvertently forget and leave around, so a photo is not the only potential trap to put away before guests come that may not understand. The reward of a photo, is if someone notices but does not recognize it's you!

deja true
05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm working on a painting now...

Fortunately artistic license will have me looking more like princess leah rather than the wookie I am...:D

tamarav
05-19-2008, 09:38 PM
My wife and I worked at losing weight on the Dr. Phil weight loss challenge. When we both reached our goals she had lost 88 pounds and I had lost 96 pounds. I took a picture that I thought pretty much showed how proud I was of the weight loss. (just an aside, I am now down 100 pounds and holding for the past 3 years)

Two weeks later my wife presented me with a 16x20 of the attached picture. I hang it at work and just smile when people ask who she is....

Your sis,

Tami

Beth-Lock
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes, there is the question of smaller pictures, which can look more sensational then ever, if your digital photos are placed in one of these new digital electronic picture frames that are really computerized LCD displays. The back lighting, makes them look really effective. I recently bought one, which shows 5 x 7 pictures, for $89, though later I found I could have got one for $10 cheaper elsewhere. It is limited to pictures of 1 or so megapixels maximum, but then the pictures look surprisingly good. It even has a feature to allow you to dsiplay a bit of video. You set it up, and it will flip though the pictures in your camera memory card automatically, pausing for a time you can program, on each one.
Now, i shall have to fill a memory stick of pictures of yours truly, dressed up. So far, I have just been testing it miscellaneous picture of buidlings, art work, etc.
Anyone else have anything to add about these digital picture frames?

Bev06 GG
07-06-2008, 03:17 PM
"Over my dead body" would be my wife's reply and the dead body wouldn't be hers!

LOL that is so funny

kellylynn_31
07-06-2008, 03:23 PM
After a professional make over I may put a pic in my home office, not ready for prime time in the living room yet

Kelly

Katherine Bell
07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
I have several pictures of myself around my home, none quite that large mostly 8x10 or smaller. You should admire yourself--not so much that you fall in the lake--but enough to know how beautiful, special and attractive you are. If you can not find yourself attractive how in the world could you expect someone else too?

Carroll
07-06-2008, 04:42 PM
I have at least one or two on my digital picture frame in the living room along with about 150 other pictures. didnt tell anybody about it. My wife didnt notice for a while and doesn't care. anybody else that has been here has never seen it or noticed it

Shelly Preston
07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
I certainly dont need one but it should my wife decide she needed one then it might be differrent