PDA

View Full Version : Tally: References to CDing on Television

StephanieCD
05-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I've always noticed the derogatory comments and references to crossdressing on tv and in the media - they've always hurt me. I will say that over the past year or two I've noticed these comments and references are more and more frequent on tv - and less of them are in a hurtful way. As a hobby I keep a runing count of times in a day that I hear it mentioned or see a reference, etc.

The other day I got over 6 in a couple hours of tv - from Ashton Pretty Kutcher in lingerie for that race-comedy movie to William Shatner trying on ladies shoes and WINKING. There are lots of them.

I propose we use this thread as a place to officially tally them and note whether they were positive or negative remarks.

The two that pop into my mind right now are the two I mentioned... oh wait three.

Ashton Kutcher in his girlfriend's lingerie in Guess Who - a negative remark because he was making fun of himself.

William Shatner tried on ladies shoes in the new ad for Priceline. Positive point - he winks at the camera and no negative statement is made.

Bart Simpson and Millhouse dress in ladies clothes and jump on the bed for fun. As i recall it was a negative statement that Bart made but I can't remember it.

Oh! 4!

In King of Queens the husband (can't remember his name) puts on his wife's mother's dress to prove that his wife's not fat. Positive statement - after they have a silly moment he says in a funny way that "something just feels right".

Anyone else? I'm hoping that if we keep track it'll be a positive thing to see the visability we're gaining...

StephanieCD
05-09-2005, 07:00 PM
House: Dr. House noticed a stain on a patient's shirt and told her either her daughter was stealing her clothes or her husband is a crossdresser. The woman, shocked and thoughtful, said she doesn't have a daughter. One point for good.

Score: Good 3, Bad 2.

I'll probably irritate everyone with this thread, huh?

caroline_cd_99
05-11-2005, 02:26 AM
I saw that episode of House, M.D.

I got the impression from the wife's reaction that she was very upset about discovering her husband was a cd. She stated, rather coldly and with a slight scowl on her face..."I don't HAVE a daughter!"

Teddie
05-11-2005, 05:05 AM
I saw that episode of House, M.D.

I got the impression from the wife's reaction that she was very upset about discovering her husband was a cd. She stated, rather coldly and with a slight scowl on her face..."I don't HAVE a daughter!"

Saw that on too. And, it did appear that she was a little miffed by it.

On last nights NCIS there was a comment about Tony toungue kissing a TS girl.

jo_ann
05-19-2005, 05:12 AM
I hate when crossdressing is meant to be funny (they aren't doing something funny, but the dressing up part is funny), and I really don't like it when crossdressing is mixed with being gay. 95% of crossdressers are straight (perhaps 100%... if your gay, aren't you a transvestite?)

Katie Ashe
05-19-2005, 10:51 AM
On the local radio station here, this morning... the they redid the song "Every time you go away..." it was a retro redo... "Everytime I look he's in your dress". Not the funnyest thing I ever heard, but they found the subject slightly entertaining... No they weren't promoting the subject. even though it was poking fun as us, it was very well done, lyrc wish :cool: . When will the world wake up and smell the trans-flower?

Katie

obsessedwithpantyhose
05-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Jo ann made a point,,, gay men dont like women so why would they dress like women??? :D

StephanieCD
05-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Last night on the season finale of That 70's Show Ashton Kutcher was naked and borrowed some girls' clothes and skipped off - iris in - black.

There was no negative statement, just him skipping in girlie clothes.

I think I'm noticing a theme with the Ashton Kutcher in girls' clothes thing here...

So the tally here so far would be:

accepting (changed from 'good'): 4
negative: 3

Was the tongue kissing a TS negatively portrayed? Like it was a BAD thing...?

DonnaT
05-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Didn't see it myself, but heard a radio commercial/promo for Will and Grace. alex Baldwin made a comment something to the effect of "I'm only interested in women. It doesn't matter whether they were born that way."

StephanieCD
05-20-2005, 06:42 PM
I wonder if references to transexuality should be lumped with references to CDing? Oh now I'm getting all analytical about it. Damn, it was supposed to be fun.

I love that show - I'm generalizing and that's never good but Will and Jack are the kind of gays that act like CDs in their fashion talk and prettiness... I've known a few - fun. I once marched in a pride parade next to a friend "in support of his cause". He didn't have to talk me into it anymore when the TG group marched on by - I got in line and said "come on bitch, let's march" ;)

I digress.