PDA

View Full Version : Talking to kids

putz0611
05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm not an expert, or even close to one, but since I have found out about hubby, I wanted our kids to be more accepting. More than most kids that is. I have found that there is more than enough on tv, to start conversations. I tend to point out certain people and talk to my kids about them, I make sure that I'm not just pointing out the CDers. Then something really startled me. We had a CDer at our church! We were new to the parish, but there she was. In a Roman Catholic parish too! I started to talk to her, and she was amazing! I don't think I could handle hubby like that, but she has helped me to be more understanding and we didn't even talk about CDing. So in conclusion if you're trying to talk to your kids sometimes the best step is to find ways to show it in a positive light in the public spotlight. My daughters thought that the gurl at church was pretty darn nice to. My hubby is not ready to let anyone else but me in so far, but he feels better knowing that I'm not putting a negative spin on it for our kids.
Putz:2c:

KandisTX
05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Coming here for advice is a great way to make these transitions (no pun intended).

For myself and my wife, we have been raising ours to be accepting of those that are differant regardless of what those differances might be. When we sat down with our daughter at 9 years old, we were honest and straight forward with all the information and let her ask any questions she had, without fear of repercussions, and she did ask them. We answered the question honestly and openly and her understanding and acceptance was and is one of our greatest accomplishments in raising her.

Her brother was a little differant as we were not sure how he would react to finding out his step-father was a crossdresser. He took it surprisingly well as well and asa result I am able to dress as I wish around the house and all is well.

The key is to make sure thay know and understand that they can come to you with any and all questions in the future, since you are being honest with them on this topic, that honesty should spill over to other topics that most likely will come up as they get older.

Kandis:love::rose2:

Annaliese
05-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Great post, and thanks for making the World a better place.

Anna