PDA

View Full Version : pierced ears

JC
05-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Two months ago, i had my left ear pierced. A week later, i had the right pirced.

The day after, the first piercing, i started to get questions from the GG's at work. a few of the ladies were supportive, the others were negative. most along the line of not letting their SO's do that. one or two guys continued with the guff.

i decide to do the second ear. i was going to do it later, but decided to get it over with based on the feedback.

a few guys in the shop were supportive of one hole. none said that they would do it (two).

one older gentleman brings up the pierced ears every few days.

THis week, company big shots came to town. one asked about the earrings. i replied about a midlife crisis. he respnded that i was beyond mid life.

my wife said that she never thougth that there would be so much said? No one outside of work has said a word.

i say all of this to just be aware. be prepared.

i am going to change from the piercing studs this weekend for the first time. YEAH!.

i bought posts and epoxy today to change some clip earrings to posts.

otherwise, the piercing did not hurt. sometimes, i would wake with sharp pain until i got accustomed to the posts digging in.

I am trying to decide what type of post earrings to wear i guy mode? 2 daimaond studs do not appeal to me. small balls?

at least it is done, 2 pierced ears.

jc

Cathey
05-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Having both ears pierced is great. You are making a statement to the world. It sure does open shopping for ear rings the selection for pierced is so much greater than clip on. I can spend hours just looking at ear rings.
I had mine done a couple of year ago, and it is permanent. Have Fun

trannie T
05-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I've had several piercings in each ear for several years. Only a few people have made comments and they all have been positive. When I wore clip earrings I hated them, after an hour or two they would be extremely painful, not the case with pierced ears.

Niya W
05-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I think it has to do with age. 20 pierced ears not a single look. 30 maybe a second look. over 45 and people might say a few things.

JC
05-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I am in my mid fiftees. This may be the shock?

Bernadina
05-22-2008, 09:53 PM
I am in my mid fiftees. This may be the shock?

Don't think so. May be more to do with where you live. On the west coast no one cares if both the ears pierced even if they are in their nineties.

TSchapes
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Penn Jillette, one half of Penn & Teller would paint his finger nails black on just one hand. When an interviewer asked him why he did that, he said, "To remind people not to ask me personal questions", and left it at that. The interviewer was stunned and didn't push it further. I've been wanting to do the pierced thing too, I've fantasized that if someone were to ask me why I had it done, I would use his line. :D

Tracy

JC
05-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I found many good clip ons. most can be converted. i bought posts at a hobby store and some 5 minute epoxy. 2 pair have been converted tonight. i have about 20 pair to go.

later this weekend, i will remove the piercing studs. YEah!!!!

Central Oklahoma is a bit conservative. but i never expected this. it has taken away from the fun.

Chiana
05-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I am in that older age group myself. On occasion I have pierced my own ears for a weekend but I have always let them grow back in. I'm chicken. I wish I had the nerve to do it and keep it but too many of my friends are very intolerant of any guy exhibiting any feminine characteristics, if you know what I mean. I guess I need better friends.

KarenCDFL
05-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Hiya,

Over about 3 years I got three piercings in each ear. For daily use I just keep a pair of very small ball studs in the upper holes cause they tend to close up if I don't

And no one ever said a word.

Cristi
05-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Wow... I guess that just goes to show you how different reactions can be in different parts of the country. Up here in New England, Pierced ears, long hair and pretty much anything like that goes without comment.

In the almost 10 years I've had my ears pierced, I've had a grand total of maybe a half dozen comments. NONE negative, just conversational. The same for my long hair, the only comments I get are just idle conversation or eve compliments on my thick wavy hair.

Whenever I hear about reactions like what you had, I see it as a community that is trying to force you into conformity by making it uncomfortable for you to do anything 'out of the norm'.

Raquel June
05-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I find that very interesting. I work in an office that is extremely right-wing conservative -- about 95% fundamentalist Christians, 60% with a military background. Don't get me wrong, though. They're all nice guys. When I got my ears pierced, almost nobody said anything. But there's really nothing feminine about my work look. I usually have a goatee going by Thursday/Friday, and I always wear 12 or 14-gauge captive ball rings instead of studs.

50 is totally mid-life crisis time. That's when most people buy their Corvettes and wear too much jewelery.

I don't think diamond studs really works anymore. That's kinda an 80s thing. If you're in the NBA, having two giant diamond studs is an acceptable look.

I think a gold or silver stud in the left ear works OK, but I'm not sure about both. You might want to try out some decent sized regular rings in silver, stainless steel, or maybe a gunmetal or titanium look.

You know that look Howie Mandell has on Deal or No Deal? Even if you don't think it's cool, it's certainly not feminine, and I can't imagine you'd get a hard time for looking more like him. Just try actual rings and letting the facial hair going now and then during the week. Everybody likes the pirate look.

amberwish
05-22-2008, 11:54 PM
I got mine pierced a year and a half ago and it was the best thing for me to do. With pierced earrings you have a much better selection to choose from. And now that I live 24/7 as a female(even at work) I can wear any kind of earrings I want and it is great.:) Before coming out and living 24/7 I had very few negative comments about my ears being pierced.

ringedjohn
05-22-2008, 11:59 PM
I have had pierced ears for going on 48 years. The first piercings were in the "normal" positions on the lobe. Over the years I have added two more piercings in each ear.

When I was working I wore earrings only when at home. Now that I am retired I wear a single gold stud in my left ear all the time. At home alone I add more from my large collection of earrings.

Comments are made very rarely - and almost all positive.

Lilith Moon
05-23-2008, 03:45 AM
I think it has to do with age. 20 pierced ears not a single look. 30 maybe a second look. over 45 and people might say a few things.

I'm way over 45 and had both done almost a year ago. Just one person has made negative comments while a few have asked why. My response to them..."Why not ?" :heehee:

Phoebie Phoenix
05-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi

I have had mine both pierced for over 10 years now - at one point here in SA it was all the rage for men to have both ears pierced - I was in my mid 20's then, and nobody batted an eyelid at the time.

Wore mostly small gold ring / hoop earrings (don't like studs personally).

Haven't worn earrings since I have been together with my current GF - don't really know why not either cos its not a big thing for her.

I love big hoops or nice dangly earrings - I like to feel them as they caress my neck when I move my head and the weight of the dangly ones also just makes me feel more fem ...

xxx

morgan51
05-23-2008, 07:31 AM
two rings each ear for the last 18 months., one or two in one ear for over 30 years. I used to wear 13 in my left ear that was before it was acceptable. to have pierced ears. no comments now with 2 in each. Morgan

KayR
05-23-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm dying to get mine pierced. I love dangly earrings. Trouble is, I'm job hunting at the moment, and the kind of employer I apply to won't be overly impressed with pierced ears - theres a "chav" connotation to them in a man.

Sara316
05-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I have only one ear -- the right one was pretty much destroyed by surgeons treating my melanoma -- but I've it pierced for eight or nine years. I usually wear a hoop.

CharleneT
05-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Ok, I'm 50 and considering piercing both ears this summer... maybe I should wait for winter when it is less noticeable....arrggg... had just gotten my courage up ! I live in a college town, so the students probably won't even notice. The regular residents are rather conservative ... so I'm not sure... Will start watching to see how many men with both ears "done" I see !

C.

Rachel Morley
05-23-2008, 10:54 AM
I had my left ear done (by myself) when I was 16 years old for a bet. But it wasn't until I was in my mid 30's that I decided I wanted the second one done for girly reasons. I was very nervous about what people would think if they saw me with a gold stud in each ear.

The response, I think, depends on the individual. I don't usually wear my earrings to work, but the first time I did, EVERYONE who knew me well enough, said something about it! I can't remember how many times that first couple of days I said in a "matter of fact way": "Oh ... yeah, I just wanted to. It's a bit girly, I know, but I like it.".

tamarav
05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
When I was in drab, wearing a business suit and tie, teaching managements classes, I would occasionally get a comment on my pierced ears. When asked I just said it was in support of my feminine half. It usually took them back a bit and they stopped asking stupid questions.

I generally answered their question with a question, as I had always done as a marriage counselor. "So, do you have a problem with my pierced ears?" or "Why, is this something you have always wanted to do but didn't have the balls to do?" (I wish..)

I met a counter person at the car parts store yesterday that had numerous piercings all over her gorgeous face. I just stood there and finally said something like "Cool piercings" and she smiled and we went on with the transaction. She liked them so why ask further.

Generally we pierce in support of our attempts at femininity. We also love the look of dangly earrings.

Your sis,

Tami

JoAnnDallas
05-23-2008, 12:33 PM
If anyone does ask, just say "Howie Mandel has pierced ears".

Christine XX
05-23-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm 44, and I've had both ears done for about 3 months now. I've had nothing but positive comments so far. Most people though, either don't notice, or don't care.

I paid a little more for some non-allergenic silver ball studs I can wear 24/7. I find if I take them out for more than a day they start sealing over. I enjoy having them in 24/7 anyway :) I've never had an issue sleeping with them. For some reason they never seem to jab me.

-Christine
"I had to pierce both, because I didn't know which side my 'X' chromosome was on!"

JC
05-24-2008, 07:13 PM
i was surprised by the comments. but i do have pierced ears!

bobbie_1048
05-27-2008, 02:56 PM
There are a couple of guys at work that have one ear pierced so I wasn't the first to do it. But I have both pierced. I wear a small cz stud in one and a small gold ball in the other. so glad i did it, makes it so much easier to wear my pretty ones when i'm home.