PDA

View Full Version : FTM Question Only Please - Jewelry Thoughts?

C.J.
05-25-2008, 09:35 AM
The other night I was talking to my fiance about a pendant that he wants, and it got me thinking.

Jewelry - what's your thoughts on it?

I'm not into jewelry that much, but I do like necklaces/pendants. There's a few necklaces I do/would definately wear, "girly" or not...

1. A 14k gold pendant, with small oval shaped garnet and 9 tiny diamonds embedded in it. My fiance got this for me for our first christmas together.

2. One of those "half heart" pendant things - you know, where you wear one half and your spouse wears the other.

3. A few charms that I'm keeping secret about what they are :P

Just curious as it's one of the things I'd get a gender based stereotype from other people on...("guys don't do that!", "that's not very masculine" etc)

I used to worry so much about keeping within society's "boy/girl" stereotypes and standards...But now, I just don't care, because I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like. What I wear or do doesn't define me.

- C.J.

Kieron Andrew
05-25-2008, 09:37 AM
As 'she' i always wore rings...and no chain, necklaces.....

As he now i dont ever wear rings because my hands are really small and it makes them look girly, i do however now have to wear 'something' round my neck, either a gold male chain with no pendant...or my trans symbol pendant

CaptLex
05-25-2008, 10:08 AM
I used to worry so much about keeping within society's "boy/girl" stereotypes and standards...But now, I just don't care, because I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like. What I wear or do doesn't define me.

- C.J.
Well said, C.J. :clap:

I love jewelry! I used to work in a jewelry store and still stop people to compliment their jewelry and chat about certain stones, etc. It's just something that hasn't changed. I used to have quite a collection once upon a time: chains with matching bracelets, earrings with matching rings, and charms galore. I can't wear a lot of that stuff anymore, though.

Now I usually wear a chain with a sailboat charm on it (with a matching bracelet ;)), my school ring and my Claddagh ring - though, like Kieron said, with my small hands, the rings just accentuate that they're not exactly manly. My small watch doesn't help either - but I can't wear some huge man's watch with these small wrists. :p

Oh and I sometimes wear the rainbow bracelet I got at the Gay Pride march last summer. :D

Cai
05-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I have a watch. Oh, and one othose "Live Strong" style plastic wristbands that I wear on occasion.

I was never really into jewellery. I'm allergic to nickel, so I can't wear earrings, or have certain types of metal against my skin.

ZenFrost
05-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I like making it. Copper's a fun metal to work with, and soldering's fun. Wearing it... not so much. I've got a skull necklace, a spiked collar, and a couple others that I wear from time to time, but that's about it.

wanttobejoe
05-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I've never been into jewelry. I wear a watch and that's it.

Flameboy
05-30-2008, 07:36 AM
I have a few items of jewellery that I wear - the only thing I wear all the time is my wedding ring, which is a white gold band with a Maori-inspired design on it. I carry my engagement ring in my wallet - it's also white gold, with a tiny diamond in it, but I don't wear that as my fingers aren't big enough and it makes them look stupid! I wear a watch sometimes - when I remember to put it on - but it's only a cheap £7 thing from the boys' department in Asda (Wal-Mart).

I have a number of pendants that I wear now and then - a "cub" one on a leather thong, a Bear flag one, and a Trans symbol one. I have a Koru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koru) bone carving one, but it's not currently on a chain or thong, so I don't wear it at the moment. I also have a plain black chain that I wear now and then, and a matching one for my wrist.

I have fairly plain jewellery in most of my piercings, and never really change any of it, except for the 10mm stretch in my left ear lobe and my septum piercing - I wear a black keeper in it most of the time (so the majority of people don't even know it's there!) and now and then I wear a big f-off spike through it! :D

Dave

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
I actually really like jewelry.. I like to accessorize.. haha..
I like rings, guys necklaces, chains, cuffs, etc.
There is alot of masculine jewelry out there.. you just gotta look for it. I personally like to get mine from a store called "Ardene" here in Canada.. it's a girls accessories store.. but they've got a guys collection.. and most of the stuff is pretty cool.

I have a couple rings.. but I want new ones, so I haven't worn them in awhile.. but when I did wear them, I wore them compulsively. I like to have a ring on my middle finger on my right hand.
I had a wicked skateboard pendant with wooden beads that my ex gf gave me, but it broke.. I want to buy a new one..
I like wearing pendants with symbols that mean something to me..
.. and I have a few leather cuffs I wear, with silver studs and spikes in them. I usually wear one at a time. It looks tacky otherwise.

boi_0h
05-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I wear a watch, sometimes a claddagh ring, and sometimes a chain or cord necklace with a celtic cross on it. I don't see why a man can't wear jewelry.

xTwo_Of_Heartsx
05-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Exactly.
I see no problem with it.
I grew up idolizing a male celebrity who wore alot of jewelry.. so, I've always thought it was perfectly okay for a dude to wear some if he wants.

metalguy639
06-01-2008, 05:37 AM
I just got some earrings that are guy-like today and when I'm not as tired I'll put them in more & likely. I also just bought a nice men's watch at a watchmakers store here. But that is all I wear for now.

Taylor105
06-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I had my nose pierced in 1993. I had hoops and then a stud for the longest time. I wanted advice on how to pass better and I believe Kieron told me to lose the nose stud. So for the first time in like 12 years I took it out. And man was he ever right. I immediately started passing better. I LOVE hemp necklaces. I got a kit from a friend with tons of different kinds of hemp and beads and all that. I tried and tried but I sucked at making them. :( So no hemp necklaces for me. :( A girl I met on youtube sent me a hemp necklace she made that was really cool and it had some sea shells on it but it broke. :( This thread is making me sad. lol

Kieron Andrew
06-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I believe Kieron told me to lose the nose stud. So for the first time in like 12 years I took it out. And man was he ever right.
yup that was blunt lil ol' me lol

SirTrey
06-14-2008, 03:03 PM
I wear My watch on My right wrist, "Trey" bracelet on My left, and a silver Superman pendant on a chain around My neck...(I had a Pirate pendant that I wore, but I gave it to Tobias when he left New York)...:love:

Drake
06-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Meh... I never really liked jewelery. I've always liked chains though but my mom hated it. At an amusement park I bought a chain with a dragon on the end and wore it home. My mom started saying how I shouldn't wear that in public and that that was more of a "guy's" neckless. This was before I accepted myself as trans. I would always think to myself, "Why do guys get all the good clothes and stuff?" :p

btw, I still wore it in public. I just put it on at school.

Syr_SwitchyGQ
06-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I wear My watch on My right wrist, "Trey" bracelet on My left, and a silver Superman pendant on a chain around My neck...(I had a Pirate pendant that I wore, but I gave it to Tobias when he left New York)...:love:

:heehee: Yep.... and now I always wear it. :daydreaming:

My skin is very sensitive, so I really don't wear much jewelry anymore. Just Trey's pendant and my (plastic) watch usually. Occasionally I'll wear my spike collar, a chain I keep on my jeans and/or an armband. Don't like rings... I always manage to lose them because I always take them off, and anything too loose on my wrist or ankle annoys me. I don't do piercings either because of the skin issue. *shrugs*

Abraxas
06-17-2008, 05:01 AM
I wear a watch and a ring. Both stainless steel. And sometimes a gold chain around my neck. Small but not... delicate. I don't know why I wear it; gold looks terrible on me but I think there's just something really masculine about a tiny bit of a gold chain peeking out from under a shirt collar.

I used to wear a ton of rings and necklaces, back when I was in my 'Yngwie Malmsteen is God' phase. I don't know how I stood it, haha. 7 or 8 rings and a dozen necklaces, all at the same time? Eesh.

Punkster
06-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I dont wear a lot of jewelery and in fact what I wear is pretty much what I own. I have a silver pentagram ring, two pentagrams on thongs and when I get them re done ( had to take em out for work) an eyebrow and lip piercing. Never have been much for jewelery and I have always prefered silver to gold.
Sometimes when my punk nature raises its head some wild and wonderful ear piercing gets included lol

jsoto81
06-18-2008, 11:38 PM
In high school I wore my class ring but when i graduated i stopped wearing it. After that I wore a watch but I don't know if that counts as jewlery. And now I wear a wedding band.

Taylor105
06-21-2008, 11:54 AM
yup that was blunt lil ol' me lol

I don't think you know how to be anything but blunt!! But that is definitely part of your charm. You old bull dog you!!

Leo Lane
06-22-2008, 07:49 PM
I like to wear a thin silver chain round my neck, and I always wear a watch, but the watch is plain and functional, not a fashion statement at all.