PDA

View Full Version : Just something else to ponder?

FlygrlChristy
05-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I just stopped by the gas station to fill up, and went in to grab a drink for myself and my son. Got myself a Snapple, and after I opened it I read the interesting facts under the lid.

Lo and behold, did you know that oysters can change their gender from male to female and back many times during their lives? Of course I was stunned, and pleased, i guess this gives new meaning to that Pearl necklace that goes so well with that perfect outfit.

Does this mean we have evolved or devolved?, and if your a believer in the theory of evolution, and did indeed arise from the sea somehow, are we still linked along gender lines with our distant cousins?

When I read that, I thought it interesting, and thought I'd put it out there, I need to get a life and get to bed.

MentalMercury
05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Interesting thought. Of course nobody knows the right answer yet. If I can speculate though, for the oyster I'm assuming the gender change is a survival tool, while transgenderism in humans seems to serve no purpose or ever have served a purpose in the distant past. It's pretty much a mystery at this point. We only know what 1-2% of the human genome actually does, and whether or not it's linked to the oyster will not be answered anytime soon. Leave it to me to go to science for the answer :tongueout

Kate Simmons
05-28-2008, 03:06 AM
Nothing is ever immutable, especially in the grand scheme of things. Who is to say we haven't or what comprises our whole existence? That may be a tough concept to swallow, especially in regard to third dimensional existence which tends to focus on the physical. We are here to experience feelings and emotions in the illusion of time. The full spectrum of feelings and gender principles are a part of that. We are in touch with these for a reason and it's a part of who we really are. The best thing to do is simply enjoy them.:)

Karren H
05-28-2008, 05:33 AM
I don't think so........ and female Oysters don't wear pretty shells than male ones... lol.. Be like us changing genders still wearing the same clothing..... jeans.... :(

Chari
05-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Another sea creature to give some thought about is the sea horse, (Syngnathidae family) and is classified as a hermaphrodite - that is having both male and female sex organs. Is this another reason if we came from the sea that we CD?

Enjoy life, Chari

JoAnnDallas
05-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Many animals, reptiles, and fish can change gender. If the population becomes more male than female, some of the males will transist into females.
If too many females, then the opposite happens, some females transist into males. It is how some species maintain their eco balance and keep the species from going extint.
Humans do not have this ablity, except for us, but research has proven that a fertilized human egg can be implanted into a Cow and will grow normally.

Christinedreamer
05-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Until about the sixth week of gestation we are were heading down the path to being "female" and since we all have nipples and our genitals still bear the indications of early female development, it seems logical to assume that Mother Nature in her wisdom keeps her options open and that we all retain female traits for a reason.

I love telling "macho" guys that and when they balk I tell them the next time you are in the shower, look at your scrotum carefully. You will see a line that circumvents the entire sac-front to back. Essentially, that is a "weld line" that sealed the outer edges of what would have been a vagina together after being acted on by the more dominant hormones in your young body. The penis is just an over grown clitoris, and the testicles are "descendants" (no pun intended) of what would have been ovaries. Since the nipples dont need to change too much Mother nature decided to just leave them as they were.

There are cases of males being able to produce milk as well. So why is it so strange that so many of us "males" also developed a more typically female mindset?

I have asked many girlfriends over the years and women in general while trying to explain my crossdressing why they enjoy certain fashion looks or materials or other typical "feminine" accoutrements. They usually respond that "They feel nice and soft or luxurious". I respond that men also have tactile sensors in the skin and its frequently only because of societal constraints and custom that they refrain from any activity(CDing among them) that precludes them from enjoying those same sensations.

My girlfriend's daughter is what I call a "Diesel Dyke" She will never allow herself to wear anything remotely feminine and dresses in mens clothes exclusively. She is also a big girl. However when she and her partner decided to get a Holy Union (gay marriage) in the MCC church, she wanted to wear a gorgeous gown just like her partner. Her hair was done and her makeup as well. After the nuptials, it was right back to men's clothes and her funky dyke lifestyle. I asked her why. She responded that she had a longing all her life to see what it felt like and she enjoyed the feeling but her emotional backround was more attuned to typical dyke behavior. (So now I have a gorgeous wedding gown)

So all in all, the masculine /feminine- male female is always going to be a blurry line that encomapsses a great variety of expression from both camps.

I say let's enjoy the variety. Mother nature has reasons for doing what she does.

FlygrlChristy
05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Wow girls, I'm stunned. Excellent well thought out responses from all of you.

While I knew that a lot of species found in nature have both male and female qualities if you will, what I found interesting was the ability of the oyster to go back and forth in it's gender roles, much the same way we do.

Christine, I was also aware that we all start life as females, and with a flood of hormones, either testosterone or estrogen our destiny is determined. It should be no surprise to any of us that a female mindset does occur with many of us. It's too bad the rest of the population can't open their eyes to what has occured in nature, and accept that it could quite possibly, correction, probably happens to a percentage of us. At least thats my belief.

Excellent description of mother natures work on the human male anatomy and its development from it's original state.

Just think, I got a whole lot more than I ever thought I would from a bottle of "Snapple".:eek:

Christy

leslie ann
05-28-2008, 06:31 PM
:drink: i dont have any oyster cousins damit why do i get left out

DonnaT
05-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Let's not forget that the male clown fish can change gender.

DonnaT
05-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Christine, I was also aware that we all start life as females, and with a flood of hormones, either testosterone or estrogen our destiny is determined.

Actually, that is a myth. We do not all start out life as female, our destiny is determined by our chromosomes and whether or not they will repond to the hormones.

http://www.sickkids.ca/childphysiology/cpwp/Genital/genitaldevelopment.htm

trannie T
05-28-2008, 06:54 PM
When I was growing up my family had a cabin on Puget Sound I ate a lot of oysters. that may be what did it.

leslie ann
05-28-2008, 06:57 PM
thats funny trannie

FlygrlChristy
05-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Donna,

I stand gently corrected. Just curious about the website, good info but the name evokes a question, unless thats too personal, Thanks.

Casey Morgan
05-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Ooh, now I want to be an oyster or a clown fish. Forget the big ball of light thing. At least I'd eat better.

Alice B
05-30-2008, 11:30 PM
In the ocean there are many species that can change sex to meet requirements to further or maintain the species. Mostly males that become females to replace the loss of a dominate female. Well, we did come from the sea according to some theories. I feel the urge to change.:heehee::heehee:

Ayame
05-31-2008, 01:59 AM
That won't make me eat one they are yuck :tongueout

Lilith Moon
05-31-2008, 05:41 AM
Does this mean we have evolved or devolved?, and if your a believer in the theory of evolution, and did indeed arise from the sea somehow, are we still linked along gender lines with our distant cousins?

You know, this sort of statement always baffles me.

All of the life sciences...medicine, agriculture and so on, are entirely based on an acceptance of evolution as fact. Evolution is not "something to believe in" as if it were some kind of alternative to religion. It has nothing to do with "belief" or faith...it is scientific fact. Just like gravity and electricity.

Those who would tell you otherwise with their "it's only a theory" and " they haven't proven it" are simply not aware of the known facts or else they have some agenda.

Amy Hepker
05-31-2008, 05:50 AM
I can't remember how many times I have changed Gender