PDA

View Full Version : Zen's Moving Adventure

ZenFrost
05-30-2008, 10:35 PM
I spent several days frantically packing to get ready for my move from Colorado to Chicago, 22 hours on the road, and over a week trying to get remotely organized in a house that's literally falling apart. There have been a number of bumps along the road (both figuratively and literally) and I figure I may as well share the stories for anyone interested. And like many of my posts, the interesting bit is just at the end so feel free to skip to it.

The Pack

Day 1 was trying to get some books in order, and that leaked into Day 2 and Day 3, and then somewhere in the whole mess that is a blur in my mind I managed to pack my books, my clothes, my DVDs, my CDs, my furniture, my toys, my toothbrush, my medications, my shampoo/soap/razor/etc., my art and art supplies, my luggage, my computer, my printer, my speakers, my bike, and anything else I could remember to bring. But it didn't all fit in the car. :straightface:

It seems my father is going to drive out here in August so he should be able to bring the remaining things that wouldn't fit, but that means a few months with only half of my stuff. That's fine, I prioritized, but I'm starting to wonder how it all going to fit in the house I'm currently in, because it's almost too full already with only half of my things.

The Drive

I hate cars, I hate driving in them and riding in them, so spending 22 hours in one was not something I ever wanted to do in the first place and certainly never want to do again. We hit the road at around 7p.m on the 21st and drove through the night and well into the next day. On the beginning of the drive, when I was tired and sore from all the packing, there was about a 300 mile stretch of road that was really windy, so instead of relaxing into the drive I was all tensed up constantly compensating for the shifts in the wind. This made all my muscles turn into knots for the rest of the trip. Bleh. Around the 3-6a.m. period, I was using some Tai Chi techniques to stay awake. Overall, I got about an hour or so of sleep on the drive, and coupled with the fact that I'd been getting less and less sleep the more I'd been packing...

Finally There

...after I arrived I slept 14 hours. Well, first I said hello to my extended family here and we ate some Chicago style deep dish pizza (if it ain't at least 2 inches thick, it ain't Chicago style), then I went to bed and slept forever. The next day I brought my stuff up from the living room to my bedroom and since then I've been gradually working on unpacking while also dealing with a number of issues and seeing my family here.

One Thing After Another

-So I've moved in with my grandmother, and she lives in a hundred year old house. Which is falling apart. A lot.

-A few months ago she was taking a shower and three of the tiles on the shower wall fell off. And then more and more and more until a nearly six foot by four foot area of the wall was reveled. And it wasn't just the tiles, some spots have holes so deep you can see beyond the wood the wall's made of. Any more and the shower would open into the kitchen. I called my mother, a DIY queen, and got instructions for a quick fix. I wound up duct taping a monkey shower curtain to the damaged area, it looks rather funny now.

-So that's all well and good until we come home one night and the power's out on her block. Candles it is then... I suppose that means bed time.

-She doesn't have internet access, so I debated and looked at pros and cons and decided to just buy it myself, even though I can't afford it. I set it up today (hence me being online right now) and hopefully it'll work right and they wont be total jerks. But at least I've got the net now. :smilep: For the last week and a half I haven't really been able to be on long enough to do anything but modding, so I'm looking forward to catching up on all I've missed.

-There's also the fact that it's a tiny tiny house. I've got a lot of stuff (particularly books) and so trying to fit it all into one little room is a heck of a struggle.

-Not to mention that establishing residency and just getting a driver's license apparently takes just about everything but my first born child. :rolleyes:

So all in all, it's been very eventful and I've been very busy... and there's a bit of an issue with my grandmother and me being FtM, but I'll go into that later.

Sharon
05-31-2008, 03:20 PM
It sounds like you have your work cut out for you, Zen. :) Or should that be a :sad: ? Heck, take your pick.

I'm glad the trip went well, despite the hardships, and I'm especially happy that you decided to get the internet hooked up.

And..., mmm..., deep dish pizza -- a whole other concoction than New York style, but yummy nevertheless. :)

waspookie6
05-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Consider yourself lucky Zen, I miss the days of being able to pack most of what I had into a car with a little being left for another smaller move.
Now it would take a tractor trailer type to move - and I hate that.

You'll get it all sorted out soon enough, you are a Zen! :)

KrazyKat
05-31-2008, 07:13 PM
:hugs:Welcome to the Midwest, Zen. Guessing you caught some of that big storm front, glad the 'nados' missed you!!

Maybe your Grandma won't think it's so bad having a man around the house to take care of her, give her some time!!

Good job on tackling such a life changing move. A new chapter in your life!! Yeah, Deep Dish, we'll have to meet at an Eduardo's sometime!!

Glad you made it!! Big hugs!! Hang in there, the worst has to be over!!:hugs:

ZenFrost
05-31-2008, 09:41 PM
It sounds like you have your work cut out for you, Zen. :) Or should that be a :sad: ? Heck, take your pick.

A little of both I think.

:hugs:Welcome to the Midwest, Zen.

You mean welcome back? :raisedeyebrow: I grew up here ya' know. :bg:

Maybe your Grandma won't think it's so bad having a man around the house to take care of her, give her some time!!

Well, I've been doing all the cooking, washing the dishes, fixing the shower, running errands, helping her shop... I think I've established my usefulness by now. It's just that even though I've been pointing it out almost constantly, and sat her down to talk about it a couple times, I'm still her Granddaughter. :sigh: She's not even trying, my other family here is making an effort to call me 'he' and my male name, and when I correct them they repeat the corrected phrase, but she just calls me 'she' constantly and when I say 'he' she goes and calls me 'she' all over again the next time. :sadp: This is going to be difficult.

Yeah, Deep Dish, we'll have to meet at an Eduardo's sometime!!

Yeah, when things calm down a tad I'll give you a call... it might be a while though 'cause every tine I get one thing done another three pop up! :rolleyes:

sabo10
05-31-2008, 10:10 PM
The pizza sounds amazing.... over here, pizza comes with mayo. And sometimes seaweed.

KrazyKat
05-31-2008, 11:09 PM
sabo, yum, pizza and seaweed, I can't tell you what that does to my brain!!:eek:Sounds crazy!! Yes, I know after 3 weeks in Thailand, everything can come with seaweed!!:heehee:

Aww, Zen, I get it now. You're right, it will take awhile. My parents(in their 80's) have a hard time remembering the right pronouns. They love Karen, understand about her surgery and all, but I don't think they will ever be able to remember, although they are finally able to call her Karen, that's a good thing. My Mom always still says, "My husband". We have been married for 15 years, I guess it will take a lot to get past that and for them to remember. I'm just happy they love us both!!:hugs:

Ok, coming back to the Midwest, my Bad, Dude!! Welcome back to humidity!! My 2 oldest brothers live in Denver, they won't even visit in the summer, too much joint swelling, lol!! Wussies!!

metalguy639
06-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Sounds like an ordeal, but then again moving is always an ordeal isn't it? Hopefully we will be doing that ourselves here soon.

Felix
06-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Good luck with settling in Zen sounds like ya very busy with it all xx Felix :hugs:

kerrianna
06-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm sure your grandmother, and your family, is really glad you are there with her now. It sounds like she really needs the help. Too bad she's not willing or able to break old habits, but the change of gender thing is hard enough for the young and hip to catch onto, let alone someone who grew up before the internet! :eek:

Good luck with everything. At least you're in a town that knows how to make a real pizza, not those little dry crusts of toast Lex is always going on about. :heehee:

Good luck with everything! :hugs::love:

CaptLex
06-02-2008, 10:53 AM
At least you're in a town that knows how to make a real pizza, not those little dry crusts of toast Lex is always going on about. :heehee:
Oi! Brig wench! It ain't real pizza unless you can fold it! :tongueout

Zen, I'm glad you made it in one piece - even if everything else is falling apart. And I hope things go smoothly with grandma. Sounds like you've taken on the position of workhorse, dude. :itsok:

ZenFrost
06-08-2008, 12:40 AM
So yes... quite busy. As it turns out I need to get a passport and a social security card and an IL drivers license (which requires nearly everything but my first born child :rolleyes:) and a library card and each item requires the previous in order to get here :sigh: and there's also an endless amount of stuff to help my grandmother with (not that I'm complaining, it's plenty fun but rather time consuming), not to mention the plays and events she drags me off to. I've had time enough to get online, but not enough to do much more than modding, which suits me just fine. So I'm around, just not really doing a lot of socializing for the time being.

It's kinda nice being a mod instead of a member for a while because being social requires more emotional energy, but with modding I can just be impartial and, well, mod stuff. It's kinda the 'thinking with the head versus the heart' deal, it's nice to give each a break sometimes. You know, like reading a long post about someone's current emotional state and giving advice versus just checking that it isn't breaking forum rules. And I think my heart needs a bit of a break, it's had a couple stabs lately (and no, I'm not looking for pity or hugs or giving details, I'm just saying it so you know why I may seem scarce and let's just leave it at that).

P.S. No hugs! Don't need 'em, or even want 'em ATM. I'm just gonna be invisible here for a bit so thought y'all should know.

CaptLex
06-08-2008, 07:22 AM
It's kinda nice being a mod instead of a member for a while because being social requires more emotional energy, but with modding I can just be impartial and, well, mod stuff. It's kinda the 'thinking with the head versus the heart' deal, it's nice to give each a break sometimes. You know, like reading a long post about someone's current emotional state and giving advice versus just checking that it isn't breaking forum rules. And I think my heart needs a bit of a break, it's had a couple stabs lately (and no, I'm not looking for pity or hugs or giving details, I'm just saying it so you know why I may seem scarce and let's just leave it at that).
I know exactly what you mean, and I've been having to do just that for the last week or so - checking to make sure things get taken care of mod-wise, without much time for really reading and replying to stuff. I hope the mental break is just what you need and I hope you get everything taken care of soon and with minimum hassle.

And . . . you get a hug anyway :hugs:, just because I'm a pirate so I can break any rules not specifically written in the code. :tongueout

*runs off*